Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Palmer is 100% motivated by a combination of self-aggrandisement, corporate profits and spite, but those things might just work in the favour of the country, amazingly enough. I will believe it when I see it though; this could all still just be trying to build up his negotiating position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

SadisTech posted:

Palmer is 100% motivated by a combination of self-aggrandisement, corporate profits and spite, but those things might just work in the favour of the country

The scary part about spite working in favour of the country is that the only reason it can is that the Liberal party are so bad that Palmer acting to spite them works out for the better. This is not a good thing.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
It's interesting that there is a lot of discussion on regressive measures when it comes to pollution issues. I agree that a fuel excise is a regressive measure but at the moment people are consuming and burning fuel at a rate far below what the world economy is paying for it. The downside of producing that amount of pollution *should* be the cost of it, supporting the idea of a carbon tax. Unfortunately when it comes to people the majority of us have a minimum emissions level, that is produced in every day life, so as soon as we start taxing this impact on the environment it is a regressive tax.

I'm still personally not sure what position the greens should take. To say "we won't negotiate" is definitely the wrong call. To link % of the money raised to public transport infrastructure is the right one. If the decision though is between either no fuel excise or fuel excise going to 100% roads, on the balance I'd have to say no fuel excise as it will protect Australians more and the greens should be pushing "We want to tax big polluters, not everyday Australians for emissions!"

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

quote:

To be clear, Palmer was upset apparently because once the senate went into its committee phase, which is happening now until 11.50am, NEW amendments cannot be introduced. That is, he had no hope of getting his power price guarantee up.

hooman posted:

It's interesting that there is a lot of discussion on regressive measures when it comes to pollution issues. I agree that a fuel excise is a regressive measure but at the moment people are consuming and burning fuel at a rate far below what the world economy is paying for it. The downside of producing that amount of pollution *should* be the cost of it, supporting the idea of a carbon tax. Unfortunately when it comes to people the majority of us have a minimum emissions level, that is produced in every day life, so as soon as we start taxing this impact on the environment it is a regressive tax.

I'm still personally not sure what position the greens should take. To say "we won't negotiate" is definitely the wrong call. To link % of the money raised to public transport infrastructure is the right one. If the decision though is between either no fuel excise or fuel excise going to 100% roads, on the balance I'd have to say no fuel excise as it will protect Australians more and the greens should be pushing "We want to tax big polluters, not everyday Australians for emissions!"

This is why the best action, if market mechanisms absolutely have to be a thing, is instituting a market mechanism with a low-income subsidy. Ultimately the cost to SOCIETY of carbon emissions has to rise, but that doesn't mean the cost has to be entirely borne by low-income earners.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I still wouldn't vote for him but I love the spectacle of his politicking. Fingers crossed he's realised support was bad PR and will actually vote against repeal

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Clive Palmer says the PUP has been "double-crossed" and warns senators may not vote to repeal the carbon tax.

:allears:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

SadisTech posted:

Palmer is 100% motivated by a combination of self-aggrandisement, corporate profits and spite, but those things might just work in the favour of the country, amazingly enough. I will believe it when I see it though; this could all still just be trying to build up his negotiating position.

It's just that acting according to Palmer's self interest, spite and self-aggrandisement is less against the interests of the nation than LNP policy. It'll still be poo poo.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

"Appalling and insensible: China rebukes Abbott for praising Japan's WWII skills posted:

"We admired the skill and the sense of honour that they brought to their task although we disagreed with what they did. Perhaps we grasped, even then, that with a change of heart the fiercest of opponents could be the best of friends," Mr Abbott said.

What a blundering loving idiot. Forget for a second the endless list of atrocities committed by the Japanese against our neighbours, how about you know, the treatment of Australian servicemen on the Burma Railway or the Sandakan Death Marches?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Tony's admiring their ideas on how to treat foreigners.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
Also what the gently caress is Palmer doing.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Australia has worked hard for a couple of decades to have some degree of international relevance and Abbott is going to completely undo all of that by the time he's out of office.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Those On My Left posted:

Palmer's giving a press conference saying his senators are going to vote against the repeal of the carbon tax.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/10/carbon-tax-repeal-gets-senate-vote-politics-live

Oh my god

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kim Jong ill posted:

What a blundering loving idiot. Forget for a second the endless list of atrocities committed by the Japanese against our neighbours, how about you know, the treatment of Australian servicemen on the Burma Railway or the Sandakan Death Marches?

Tone Deaf Tony, not only pissing off most of the rest of Asia, maybe watch Changi.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Kim Jong ill posted:

Holy loving poo poo.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Seriously what the loving gently caress is wrong with that man

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Kim Jong ill posted:

Wonder what the old diggers at the rooty hill rsl think of this.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Also after passing a gag on debate, Matthias Corman is now filibustering debate up until the vote deadline. Democracy.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I'm not sure if at this point, Tony is just taking the piss out of everyone or he's seriously got no idea that he's managing to offside PRETTY MUCH EVERYONE IN THE WORLD. Way to poo poo in the face of WWII vets, you dumb fuckstick.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Look, if members of the imperial japanese army didn't act with honour while performing vivisections and weapons tests on captured civilians they wouldn't have been welcomed with open arms into the top echelons of the japanese post-war business community.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."
3 minutes to see what happens regarding Carbon Tax/ETS

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I remain convinced that Abbott is completely unable to comprehend the concept that people are able to hear the things he says despite them not being the people he is directly saying them to.

It's some kind of weird object permanence deficiency.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
I wonder if Palmer voted for the gag this morning just so he could put himself in this position. Now he can rush through whatever he wants with significantly more leverage, the alternative being the government can go get hosed.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Government-PUP huddle has just broken up and Palmer is playing hard ball. His last words apparently:

"That's OK, the government can take it back to the reps (house of reps) next week."

:toot:

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Freudian Slip posted:

Government-PUP huddle has just broken up and Palmer is playing hard ball. His last words apparently:

"That's OK, the government can take it back to the reps (house of reps) next week."

:toot:

honestly wouldn't be surprised if jacqui lambe and one of the others voted yes anyway.

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

Gough Suppressant posted:

honestly wouldn't be surprised if jacqui lambe and one of the others voted yes anyway.

Don't hash my buzz man

But yeah that is a possibility :(

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...0709-zt1rf.html

quote:

Australia will stand up to China to defend peace, liberal values and the rule of law, says Foreign Minister Julie Bishop.

In the Coalition government’s clearest statement yet on how to handle China, Ms Bishop said it had been a mistake for previous governments to avoid speaking about China for fear of causing offence.

Australia's Prime Minister Tony Abbott and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe are pictured as they arrive to tour the Rio Tinto West Angelas iron ore mine in the Pilbara, Western Australia.
Australia's Prime Minister Tony Abbott and his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe arrive to tour the Rio Tinto West Angelas iron ore mine. Photo: Reuters
"China doesn’t respect weakness," Ms Bishop told Fairfax Media, marking a break from the policies of previous governments whose reticence, she said, had only caused confusion.

What on earth do these idiots think they're doing? This poo poo seems reckless.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If being nice to China caused the mining boom, then talking poo poo about them will cause Mining Boom 2: Boom Harder.

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies

Aaronicon posted:

I'm torn. I'm a Greens member that lives in a rural area, so actually decently built roads are one of the things we genuinely need, as well as the public transport options to use them. Making fuel more expensive here would just penalise people, as there's no real alternative than a car to travel more than 15 minutes from wherever you are - and there are communities hours apart from each other that only see a connecting bus route once or twice a week. Obviously cycling from Mudgee to Dubbo isn't really viable, but we do have shitloads of abandoned railway infrastructure that's constantly being ignored and touted as 'the next big thing to bring back!' but is invariably again abandoned when the costs are tallied to revive it.

I don't even think a single ROADS ROADS ROADS project is happening within a couple hundred kilometres of here - and even then it'll just be the highways, not the local town roads that have in places gone decades without maintenance. It now seems to be standard Nationals policy to just collect as many pensions as possible hoping for rural Australia to collapse so they can stop pretending to care about it.

Being from around that area myself (Gulgong) I always wondered why they didn't revive part of the Gwabegar line, given how many people that lived in Gulgong worked in Mudgee. I'm looking at the old railway maps and it's insane how much of the state was covered, and it's a shame that there aren't services like that running.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Wait, has anyone done study into whether reptiles have the ability for object permanence??? It's all falling into place

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Amethyst posted:

What the gently caress. We have nothing to gain from choosing sides in the Japan/China/Korea shitfest. We're not a hegemonic power like the US that could gain allies in the east pacific, because we aren't rich and large enough to warrant allies. We aren't geographically close enough to have a definite interest. This is like loving Poland talking up a big game in Israel/Palestine, it doesn't make any sense.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Neanderthalic leader lacks enemy to appear strong against.

Seeks to create one.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009

Amethyst posted:

The Howard government was poo poo at this stuff for their first few years in office. Having no clue when it comes to world affairs is just the Liberal party way.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

This is getting more confusing by the minute in the Senate.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Found in the bag of a Labor Right hack after EdCon.

Yes, Labor, tell me more about how trots talk too much about the working class and neoliberalism :allears:

This is brilliant and hilarious, great find!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

quote:

Someone is sing We Shall Overcome in the public gallery. He has quite a good voice before he is dragged out.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

rudatron posted:

What the gently caress. We have nothing to gain from choosing sides in the Japan/China/Korea shitfest. We're not a hegemonic power like the US that could gain allies in the east pacific, because we aren't rich and large enough to warrant allies. We aren't geographically close enough to have a definite interest. This is like loving Poland talking up a big game in Israel/Palestine, it doesn't make any sense.

Don't think of it in rational terms, think of it in base emotional ones. This is hawkish strutting to make the LNP and their conservative base feel smug and authoritative about not giving way to the yellow peril. Backed up, of course, by the certain knowledge that the fellow white christian US will have their backs if it came down to pushing. Knowledge that is losing currency by the day, I might add.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Scylo posted:

The Howard government was poo poo at this stuff for their first few years in office. Having no clue is just the Liberal party way.

Someone please make a movie where a shy motoring enthusiast find his feet and together with a plucky but insane billionaire set out on a wonderful journey to save the nation from hordes of Bad Guys In Suits fostering in an impending global apocalypse.

Also Palmer, please stop making it so hard to hate you. It'll just make the betrayal sting all the more.

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Kim Jong ill posted:

Wow, the nationalists here are gonna love hearing that poo poo from another country for once. This is totally Japan's narrative of itself; why is Tony regurgitating it? Does he want Abe to like him or something? Plus everyone's especially touchy right now (re: Japan and war) because Abe's government has recently shaved the pointy bits off Article 9 (the pacifism bit of the Japanese constitution).

I guess Abbott's happy to lend a hand to a fellow right-wing fuckhead rushing through unpopular policies without a mandate.

EDIT: What I mean I guess is that Abbott's statements may likely be interpreted as an endorsement of Abe's Article 9 fuckery. On purpose or not, I dunno, but either way, what a bozo.

Chicken Parmigiana fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 10, 2014

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Jesus. Even if Australians can't empathise with the Chinese who suffered under Japanese imperialism, he should at least realise that Australian POWs were also horribly mistreated by the Japanese. You know, like my Grandfather for example.

Lata jie posted:

In regards to the fuel issue.. can we look into the government maybe adding an incentive towards people wanting to buy an electronic vehicle? It would cut out a whole heap of pollution, and while I know that at this point, the distance of these cars isn't that great, this won't always be the case. Or one could end up with an infrastructure with multiple charge points along the way.. I'm dreaming. (And I would really really like to own an EV, however the current price tag is slightly out of my reach)
The other issue with electric cars is that the coal we're using in much of the country to produce electricity is so horribly dirty that in Victoria, for example, using an electric car is actually worse for the environment than using a petrol-based one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Guardian posted:

Palmer played down any suggestions that the confusion was his fault.

Asked whether the government had engaged in trickery, Palmer said:

"It could have been but you never want to underestimate the incompetence of the Abbott government."

Gold.

• Locked thread