Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Ogmius815 posted:

The real problem here is an uncritical and fetishized view of science. If it's "science" it must be good!

Well, just to be honest... yes. If we only undertook research that we had clearly defined uses for, we wouldn't really have done much research at all. X-rays were discovered because somebody noticed their film was being exposed in weird patterns, and then we used them for medicine after we understood what was going on. Very little research occurs because someone goes "well, I bet I could use misgrown cultures to kill bacteria!" Instead, Alexander Fleming accidently misgrew cultures and then noticed that they had antimicrobial properties.

We never know what something can do until we research it. If we don't have a use for smallpox specifically (and several have been pointed out), it could mean that there is no use for it specifically, or just that we haven't researched it enough to find out. And there's no way to confirm that there's no use for it. Science is a way of thinking, and I would argue that it's never bad to know more, even if you don't have practical uses in sight, simply because you don't know until you've done the research. (ADDED FOR CLARIFICATION) Not to say that safety isn't a key factor that shouldn't be taken into account, but practicality is not the main driving force behind research.

The other main point that I really want a response to is: if it's so easy to remake smallpox if we for some reason needed it, then how does destroying it serve as a deterrent for use as a weapon at all?

EDIT: Actually, another thought occurred to me. The incremental cost of destroying smallpox, vs the incremental safety benefit, is probably absurdly small. It's not as simple as tossing a couple vials into an autoclave, there would need to be significant debates, discussion, organization, etc, including both the US and Russia, in order to even get started. Then we have to do a full count, double check it, search everywhere there could possibly be more, triple check it, then finally destroy it. For the amount of money and manhours we'd put into that? We could probably make a serious jump towards eliminating polio. I'll be honest, I think those researchers have better things to be doing.

Karia fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SparkPeople
Nov 10, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

The real problem here is an uncritical and fetishized view of science. If it's "science" it must be good!

What do you think science is? We don't know as much as you think we do, and by ending the small pox virus we permanently end an avenue of research. Just because we don't know what we do with it yet doesn't mean it has no purpose in the future.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

twodot posted:

While dishelved's treatment of that was pretty disingenous, they give a pretty clear reason, behold:

They have pretty good antivirals for smallpox, but they haven't been approved yet. If they fail approval, we'll want some smallpox around to develop other antivirals, but maybe they won't fail anyways.

Neither of those are smallpox-specific antivirals. ST-246, for example, is effective against all orthopoxviruses, and interferes with a gene that also exists in cowpox and vaccinia (remember, these two viruses are over 95% similar to smallpox!). It's also extremely hard to see how smallpox retention is necessary to antiviral development, given that it's impossible to test any smallpox drug against smallpox due to several properties of smallpox that make it a lovely experimental subject. As for the other drug, that's an anti-herpes drug that may be useful against many other families of virus, it's not a targeted anti-smallpox drug.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

ITT I argue with Victor Frankenstein.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ogmius815 posted:

ITT I argue with Victor FrankensteinWeyland-Yutani.

If you're going to do sci-fi horror comparisons, better go whole hog.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you're going to do sci-fi horror comparisons, better go whole hog.

Yeah I like your joke better.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

ITT I argue with Victor Frankenstein.
Just call someone Hitler already, you've already near reached crazy person who doesn't fully grasp biological concepts bingo.

Like, your arguments boil down to "BUT SMALLPOX SCARES ME" and now calling people Frankenstein.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Main Paineframe posted:

Neither of those are smallpox-specific antivirals. ST-246, for example, is effective against all orthopoxviruses, and interferes with a gene that also exists in cowpox and vaccinia (remember, these two viruses are over 95% similar to smallpox!). It's also extremely hard to see how smallpox retention is necessary to antiviral development, given that it's impossible to test any smallpox drug against smallpox due to several properties of smallpox that make it a lovely experimental subject. As for the other drug, that's an anti-herpes drug that may be useful against many other families of virus, it's not a targeted anti-smallpox drug.
What's your point here? It's not at all relevant whether those antivirals are smallpox-specific, these scientists are asserting that smallpox is useful for developing specific antivirals which can be used against smallpox, the fact that they are also useful against other viruses doesn't diminish the need for antivirals which are effective against smallpox. The point is that existing leading antivirals which are effective against smallpox are not yet fully vetted.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Maybe if I blindly defend dangerous scientific research that doesn't seem to serve a useful purpose Niel Degrasse Tyson will finally notice my posting and invite me to his house and we'll be best friends forever! :science:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ogmius815 posted:

Maybe if I blindly defend dangerous scientific research that doesn't seem to serve a useful purpose Niel Degrasse Tyson will finally notice me and invite me to his house and we'll be best friends forever! :science:

Again there are tons of breakthroughs that happen through science that 'doesn't seem to serve a useful purpose' and destroying every bit of smallpox means we will literally never have the chance to study/test it ever again. Are you a loving psychic who knows that suddenly in the future we'll have literally no use ever for it?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

twodot posted:

What's your point here? It's not at all relevant whether those antivirals are smallpox-specific, these scientists are asserting that smallpox is useful for developing specific antivirals which can be used against smallpox, the fact that they are also useful against other viruses doesn't diminish the need for antivirals which are effective against smallpox. The point is that existing leading antivirals which are effective against smallpox are not yet fully vetted.

It's not, though. Actual, physical smallpox samples are of little use in antiviral research, mostly because anything that works against cowpox, monkeypox, and vaccinia will work against smallpox too, and anything that works against smallpox will also work against those three viruses, and all three of those viruses are far more useful in smallpox research than smallpox itself is, because smallpox has certain properties that make it absolute garbage to experiment with.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not, though. Actual, physical smallpox samples are of little use in antiviral research, mostly because anything that works against cowpox, monkeypox, and vaccinia will work against smallpox too, and anything that works against smallpox will also work against those three viruses, and all three of those viruses are far more useful in smallpox research than smallpox itself is, because smallpox has certain properties that make it absolute garbage to experiment with.
Ok cool, and your panel of experts in the field asserting this is where?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Holy gently caress everyone on both sides of this "debate" are loving idiots. Judging by the loving responses and repitition and completely ignoring every other point that everyone has made for the last... three pages? Four?

Side 1: Destroy it because there's a miniscule change of bad stuff!
Side 2: Keep it because it might be useful once it's gone its gone forever!
Side 1: That's not true, we can make more.
Side 2: So what's the point of destroying it?
Side 1: Because there's a miniscule chance of bad stuff! What's the point of keeping it?
Side 2: It might be useful someday, and once it's destroy it's gone forever!

Rinse. Repeat.

Pre-edit:
Actually, I forgot the following -
Side 1: Scientists say we should destroy it! (WHO) Where's YOUR experts?
Side 2: Scientists say we should keep it! (CDC) Where's YOUR experts?

Rinse. Repeat.

If no one has a point that isn't one of those points, can we please go back to talking about goddamn antivax idiots instead of making them look good by comparison?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 10, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

If no one has a point that isn't one of those points, can we please go back to talking about goddamn antivax idiots instead of making them look good by comparison?

Yeah, this is seriously a boring derail. I often find derail arguments about controversial topics entertaining (largely as honeypots for people with really dumb opinions), but this one is incredibly boring. The stakes aren't even that high; it probably won't make much of a difference whether we destroy the last Smallpox samples or not.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
So I came across a comment the other day that most of the people who get measles are the ones who get vaccinated against it. Is there any source for this?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Buried alive posted:

So I came across a comment the other day that most of the people who get measles are the ones who get vaccinated against it. Is there any source for this?

I've got their source right here: :butt:

I don't see it in the CDC's page on it, and they list some serious side-effects.

The only way in which this could potentially be true is if this person means that most of the people who got the measles from the latest infection were vaccinated, which makes sense, since the vast majority of people got MMR, and it does have a non-zero failure rate.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Karia posted:

EDIT: Actually, another thought occurred to me. The incremental cost of destroying smallpox, vs the incremental safety benefit, is probably absurdly small. It's not as simple as tossing a couple vials into an autoclave, there would need to be significant debates, discussion, organization, etc, including both the US and Russia, in order to even get started. Then we have to do a full count, double check it, search everywhere there could possibly be more, triple check it, then finally destroy it. For the amount of money and manhours we'd put into that? We could probably make a serious jump towards eliminating polio. I'll be honest, I think those researchers have better things to be doing.

And sometimes you never know where that might be... http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/smallpox-vials-found-unapproved-laboratory

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Again there are tons of breakthroughs that happen through science that 'doesn't seem to serve a useful purpose' and destroying every bit of smallpox means we will literally never have the chance to study/test it ever again. Are you a loving psychic who knows that suddenly in the future we'll have literally no use ever for it?

twodot posted:

Ok cool, and your panel of experts in the field asserting this is where?

Right here, bucko

quote:

May 18, 2011 (CIDRAP News) – When the World Health Assembly (WHA) considers the fate of the remaining stocks of smallpox virus this week, the debate is likely to be framed in part by a report from a group of independent experts that says the only strong reason for keeping the virus is to satisfy strict regulatory requirements for new vaccines and antivirals.

The experts, who were commissioned by the World Health Organization (WHO), recommended in a report released quietly last December that researchers and regulatory authorities should work together to find new ways to test smallpox vaccines and antivirals so that the remaining stocks of variola (smallpox) virus can be destroyed.

The panel "noted with concern that the only compelling scientific and public health reason to keep live variola stocks is to meet current restrictive regulatory requirements for vaccine and drug development," the report states. "It, therefore, recommends that researchers and regulatory authorities meet and jointly define future alternative models for testing vaccines and drugs against variola virus, in preparation for destruction of variola stocks."

The report goes on to suggest identifying a "limited number of strains of variola virus for such testing, and to retain only these for this limited use."

The expert panel, called the Advisory Group of Independent Experts (AGIES), made the recommendation after studying a lengthy report by a WHO committee on progress in smallpox research and development.

The AGIES report does not call for immediate destruction of the virus stocks, but the independent experts clearly saw much less of a case for keeping them. The 10 experts were from India, Oman, Brazil, China, Thailand, South Africa, Kenya, Australia, Germany, and Canada.

The experts expressed doubts about the value of using variola virus to try to duplicate human smallpox in monkeys, saying this has led to "highly artificial models and outcomes that do not resemble human disease" and is also impractical, given the stringent regulations governing such research.

"Therefore, AGIES felt that it may be more appropriate to focus on improving the animal models that use infection with other orthopoxviruses," such as monkeypox, cowpox, rabbitpox, and mousepox viruses, "since these appear to be appropriate and adequate surrogates of human variola virus infection," the report says.

It adds that the only reason for trying to develop animal models of smallpox is "to meet the current stringent regulatory requirements." The experts believe that "a more productive approach would be for the regulatory requirements for vaccine and drug approval for variola virus infection to be reconsidered, given that human infection with the virus no longer occurs."

On the other hand, the report says that the ACVVR's argument that variola virus may be indispensable for testing antiviral drugs "appears reasonable, at least for in vitro testing." The report summary states, "Assuming that regulatory issues around vaccine and drug testing are resolved, the only indication for use of live VARV [variola virus] is to test the efficacy of drugs in vitro."

In other judgments, the AGIES said live variola virus is not needed for further development of diagnostic tests and there is no public health need to sequence any more virus isolates. The group also said research on safer smallpox vaccines should continue.
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2011/05/experts-regulatory-issues-are-main-reason-keeping-smallpox-virus

Money shot: literally the only ones arguing to keep it around are the US and Russia, and the only significant research use would be live in vitro testing, which is rather risky given how infectious it is. Th existing research using smallpox has not been very effective, and there is no research case that we need specifically smallpox for anything, the other poxviruses are more than adequate.

And don't try to lean on the "regulatory issues" here, those boil down to nothing more than "the US and Russia passed a law that says they get to keep their weapon stocks".

Independent experts are more than OK with eradicating it, given that this disease no longer occurs in humans, has no real need for research apart from some outdated regulatory requirements, and is crazy dangerous to work with. And if we really needed it anyway, we could just build it from sequenced DNA.

The idea that you've somehow presented compelling uses for keeping live smallpox virus around is absolutely absurd, you have thrown up your hands and said "who knows!?" and nothing more. This argument is analogous to keeping a loaded gun in the house for no good reason. Can you put it in a safe and be reasonably sure that it won't be stolen or your kid isn't going to shoot himself? Yeah, probably. On the other hand, if you have no need for it, why are you keeping it around at all? Dumb hypotheticals don't measure up to the risk of keeping one of the most lethal pathogens in recent history around in live form, however remote you consider the chance of release.

Just to be clear, your behavior is exactly the same as that of gun nuts, only instead of a piece of metal you're clinging to the right of nation-states to keep a highly infectious, extremely lethal pathogen that can cause millions or billions of deaths if something untoward were to happen. And that's actually being generous - if anything, you're more akin to the crowd who think it's a great idea to let individuals keep artillery pieces and other tools of mass death. That's what smallpox boils down to for nation-states - it just lacks other plausible uses.

For that matter, why have we limited this to two repositories? If it's such a great tool for research, and this research is perfectly safe, then there's no downside. If other nations build secure repositories, why not let them have samples too? The same logic applies as the US and Russia keeping it and performing "research" after all. China's a superpower these days, and it wouldn't be fair to shut Europe out, why not four repositories? More access means more research and results after all!

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 10, 2014

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Buried alive posted:

Assuming we've got desired vaccination rates, this should be true, hopefully!

99.5% vaccination rate with a 1% failure rate and a 100% infection rate for non-vaccinators would still mean there would be more infected vaccinators than non-vaccinators.

I don't know if it's true for now, I haven't seen the data, but if you've got a vaccine with a failure rate at all it's the state you end up hoping for.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

GlyphGryph posted:

Holy gently caress everyone on both sides of this "debate" are loving idiots. Judging by the loving responses and repitition and completely ignoring every other point that everyone has made for the last... three pages? Four?

Side 1: Destroy it because there's a miniscule change of bad stuff!
Side 2: Keep it because it might be useful once it's gone its gone forever!
Side 1: That's not true, we can make more.
Side 2: So what's the point of destroying it?
Side 1: Because there's a miniscule chance of bad stuff! What's the point of keeping it?
Side 2: It might be useful someday, and once it's destroy it's gone forever!

Rinse. Repeat.

Pre-edit:
Actually, I forgot the following -
Side 1: Scientists say we should destroy it! (WHO) Where's YOUR experts?
Side 2: Scientists say we should keep it! (CDC) Where's YOUR experts?

Rinse. Repeat.

This is a dumb derail but in the latest WHO report from the previous page the consensus was to keep the virus alive, not for vaccine research but for antiviral research.

quote:

Members of the Committee were asked to consider whether live variola virus was needed for further essential research for public health benefit on antivirals for smallpox. The majority view within the committee was that live variola virus was needed for the further development of antiviral agents against smallpox

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Sixteen glass vials, sealed with melted glass, wrapped in cotton and placed in a cardboard box in a storage room kept at 40 degrees Fahrenheit.

I wonder what the poor bastard who found them went through emotionally when he realized the labels said "variola".

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Irradiation posted:

This is a dumb derail but in the latest WHO report from the previous page the consensus was to keep the virus alive, not for vaccine research but for antiviral research.

No, the latest WHO report (from their AGIES) actually recommended that it be destroyed. There's two committees studying this within the WHO, one wants to keep it for antiviral research and the other committee thinks they're full of poo poo.

quote:

1. Members of AGIES conclude that there is no need to retain live variola virus for the further development of diagnostics. This confirms the previous conclusions reached byAGIES in 2010.
2. Members of AGIES conclude that there is no indication for additional sequencing of the variola virus genome and hence no need to retain live variola virus for this purpose. This confirms the previous conclusions reached by AGIES in 2010.
3. Members of AGIES conclude that there is no reason to retain live variola virus for use in animal models.
4. Members of AGIES conclude that there is no need to retain live variola virus for the further development of smallpox vaccines.
5. The majority of the members of AGIES concludes that there is no need to retain live variola virus for the further development of antiviral agents against smallpox.

AGIES notes that recommendations 1, 2 and 4, but not 3 and 5 are in line with the conclusions of ACVVR at its 15th meeting.
http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/97034/1/WHO_HSE_PED_CED_2013.3_eng.pdf

If you read the report itself, they discuss the animal models using smallpox, which haven't produced useful models because smallpox doesn't act the same in other animals, and the antiviral research, which has been very successful using other poxviruses as surrogates.

So basically the debate comes down to a handful of narrow uses of the virus, which a significant number of experts empaneled by the WHO consider to be unnecessary and un-fruitful despite concerted research by multiple teams, against the risk of allowing the continued existence of an incredibly virulent, incredibly lethal pathogen. One which we've finally managed to eradicate in the wild at great expense and difficulty.

However, chronologically speaking this is "the latest WHO report", as this one came out in December 2013 and the ACVVR report came out in September 2013.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 10, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

Independent experts are more than OK with eradicating it, given that this disease no longer occurs in humans, has no real need for research apart from some outdated regulatory requirements, and is crazy dangerous to work with. And if we really needed it anyway, we could just build it from sequenced DNA.

And most importantly, it's drat near impossible to test, because smallpox only infects humans and is way too dangerous to safely infect people with. Animal testing of smallpox antivirals is done on monkeys infected with monkeypox, and if we ever did anything like testing smallpox antiviral on humans, we'd do it with cowpox or vaccinia, not smallpox. And using smallpox's close relatives instead of smallpox is known to be good enough, and has been known to be good enough for ages. Thanks to the smallpox vaccine, we have more than a century of experimental evidence that cowpox and smallpox are so similar that anything that kills one will also kill the other.

The problem with looking for reports and sources on smallpox destruction is that the subject is highly politicized and scientists' reports are often restricted by the agenda of their employer. For example, when pro-destruction advocate Donald Henderson took a job working for the HHS, he went virtually silent on the subject of smallpox in order to avoid difficulties with his employer which, as a government agency, was very pro-retention. Once he left government employ, he went right back to advocating for destruction of smallpox stocks. I don't think it's a coincidence that reports from government agencies like the CDC and HHS are in line with the US government's official position that their smallpox stocks must not be destroyed. When it comes to the WHO, the AGIES report posted by Paul MaudDib, which advocated for smallpox destruction, was authored by scientists from poorer countries like India, Oman, and Kenya and didn't have a single US or Russian member, and third-world countries are known to be pushing pretty hard for the destruction of smallpox stocks. The other committee which authored a report arguing for retention, ACVVR, is dominated by American and Russian members. It's hard to tell how much of any given report is political and how much is pure science, but politics definitely plays some kind of factor, and I'm inclined to think it's a deciding factor in a lot of these reports since the actual scientific conclusions are pretty much the same from both sides.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

But it's science. Why are you guys so dumb at science? Surely only someone who doesn't know or else hates science would disagree with me.

I don't even have to say what the science will accomplish. Science just can't ever be bad or hurt people. You're just like those bad guys who want to teach godjesus in science class. Let me guess art history major? :smug:

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 10, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This is the most pedantic and annoying conversation. Can we talk about morons who won't give their kids the pertussis vaccine again?

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
Holy Christ, stop responding to the mouthbreather. This is worse than the autist genocide derail.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Doot doot doooooot dooot dooot dooot dooot

Spock...?

As suspected, the probe's transmissions are the songs sung by viruses.

Viruses?

Specifically the Variola Virus

That's crazy Spock! Who would send a probe hundreds of light years to talk to a virus?

It's possible viruses were on earth far earlier than man. Viruses were heavily hunted by man. Variola has been extinct since the 21st century. Thanks, no doubt, to mouthbreathers who don't know science. It is possible that an alien intelligence sent the probes to find out why they lost contact.

My god...

Spock...Start your computations for time warp!

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 11, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ogmius815 posted:

Doot doot doooooot dooot dooot dooot dooot

Spock...?

As suspected, the probe's transmissions are the songs sung by viruses.

Viruses?

Specifically the Variola Virus

That's crazy Spock! Who would send a probe hundreds of light years to talk to a virus?

It's possible viruses were on earth far earlier than man. Viruses were heavily hunted by man. Variola has been extinct since the 21st century. Thanks, no doubt, to mouthbreathers who don't know science. It is possible that an alien intelligence sent the probes to find out why they lost contact.

My god...

Oh, man, now you got me rooting for Smallpox.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, man, now you got me rooting for Smallpox.

Oh god, this thread has become stupid.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Ogmius815 posted:

And the Oscar for best use of William Shatner's head in a snarky reply goes to...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

blowfish posted:

Oh god, this thread has become stupid.

Pretty much. Thanks Ogmius815.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Tigntink posted:

This is the most pedantic and annoying conversation. Can we talk about morons who won't give their kids the pertussis vaccine again?

The thing that drives me insane is I went to a local chiropractor a few weeks ago because I threw my back out doing some labor and thought it would help. I remember going to this guy years ago and he kept playing a video of a young girl who got cancer from a vaccine or some poo poo, the video was really vague and never gave answers to anything. I go back 3 years later and he is still PLAYING THE VIDEO ON A LOOP.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

To Battle posted:

The thing that drives me insane is I went to a local chiropractor a few weeks ago because I threw my back out doing some labor and thought it would help. I remember going to this guy years ago and he kept playing a video of a young girl who got cancer from a vaccine or some poo poo, the video was really vague and never gave answers to anything. I go back 3 years later and he is still PLAYING THE VIDEO ON A LOOP.

You would let someone twist your damaged back that thinks vaccines cause cancer... and then went back?
Why not go to an actual doctor?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

So you went to a chiropractor and he didn't know poo poo about actual medicine. Shocker.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Haha, in hindsight it was pretty stupid going to a chiropractor but my back defiantly felt a lot better. But that's my point,

Mrit posted:

You would let someone twist your damaged back that thinks vaccines cause cancer... and then went back?
Why not go to an actual doctor?

Haha in hindsight it was pretty stupid going to a chiropractor for some back problems but I still had no idea about outspoken he was about poo poo he didn't understand. I thought maybe it was a one time deal with some vaccine side effect he read about or something but Jesus he went all out with the poo poo he was showing. Are all of them like this?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

To Battle posted:

Haha, in hindsight it was pretty stupid going to a chiropractor but my back defiantly felt a lot better. But that's my point,

Haha in hindsight it was pretty stupid going to a chiropractor for some back problems but I still had no idea about outspoken he was about poo poo he didn't understand. I thought maybe it was a one time deal with some vaccine side effect he read about or something but Jesus he went all out with the poo poo he was showing. Are all of them like this?

Chiropracty is a bullshit pseudoscience alternative medicine, basically the modern Western equivalent of acupuncture, so it shouldn't really be surprising that over one-third of all chiropractors are anti-vaxxers.

oldswitcheroo
Apr 27, 2008

The bombers opened their bomb bay doors, exerted a miraculous magnetism which shrunk the fires, gathered them into cylindrical steel containers, and lifted the containers into the bellies of the planes.
Yeah avoid Chiropractors, at best they are just performing therapeutic massage (which accounts for why you may feel better after seeing one, massage can definitely have it's benefits) and at worst they are dangerous pseudoscience types who can gently caress your back up. You need your back.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea reminder that the joke 'chiropractors aren't doctors' isn't some snooty elitism thing, it's a literal fact that they don't have to have anything but laughably pathetic 'schooling' that can in most areas be done on a weekend seminar. The only decent ones are basically overpriced massage therapists, which is fine as its own thing if you like paying ten times as much for a massage treatment, but the bad ones are the ones who can literally break your back with their lack of education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Yeah I figured as much, to be honest I had no idea you could get a doctorate in chiropractic, a DC. I just though it was some dude that can help relieve back pain like a massage therapist like you said above. Though to be honest I'm not surprised with all the new age nonsense.

Also this guy said he takes x rays now. What the gently caress would he need an x ray machine for.

• Locked thread