Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
This is so funny. The Abbott government is going to be continually crippled by this senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Tony Jowns posted:

Jesus. Even if Australians can't empathise with the Chinese who suffered under Japanese imperialism, he should at least realise that Australian POWs were also horribly mistreated by the Japanese. You know, like my Grandfather for example.
Between this and the whole normandy-landing-carbon-tax bullshit, I don't think the Tony government could ever be called the friends of war veterans.

It's just so incredibly hypocritical, especially considering past LNP behavior, compare:
"Grr, that ABC government exposing australian navy crimes, they hurt our armed forces"
"Well, you see, the treatment of Australian POWs by japan wasn't that bad"

Tony: Pro War-Crime

rudatron fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jul 10, 2014

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Nautilus42
Jan 14, 2008
Unrelated sea creature

Tony Jowns posted:

Jesus. Even if Australians can't empathise with the Chinese who suffered under Japanese imperialism, he should at least realise that Australian POWs were also horribly mistreated by the Japanese. You know, like my Grandfather for example.

The other issue with electric cars is that the coal we're using in much of the country to produce electricity is so horribly dirty that in Victoria, for example, using an electric car is actually worse for the environment than using a petrol-based one.

At least changing the powergrid from non-renewable to renewable energy would not effect the cars.

However I fear that it would increase demand that the dirty energy sector have been anticipating and so far have not seen, giving them a return in their investment and revenue stream into the future that may keep them polluting for longer.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe a bad war criminal is a little bit like a bad father or a bad husband?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
:siren: CARBON TAX REPEAL BLOCKED :siren:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Tony Jowns posted:

Yeah my grandfather was captured in Singapore and while I have nothing against the current Japanese, you can't deny what went on during WW2.

And Julie Bishop's comments explicitly pissing off China - you don't need to have your tongue up their rear end like Rudd did, but why would you antagonise them for no reason? It just makes no sense to me.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
looks like carbon tax repeal is going to lose in the senate roflmao back to the house with u little bill

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

hahahahaha

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

:siren: CARBON TAX REPEAL BLOCKED :siren:

This is the best

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Guardian posted:

Senate is dividing that the bills be agreed to. It reflects the final vote.

At this stage, the government does NOT have the numbers to repeal the carbon tax.

With govt:
•Day

•Leyonhjelm

•Madigan

•Xenophon

With opposition:
•Greens

•Lambie

•Lazarus

•Wang

•Muir

Government loses 35-37.

Package will have to be sent back to the House of Reps.

WTF Xenophon? What's his thinking here?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

SadisTech posted:

WTF Xenophon? What's his thinking here?

Xenophon is thinking "I am a piece of poo poo"

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Tony Jowns posted:

The other issue with electric cars is that the coal we're using in much of the country to produce electricity is so horribly dirty that in Victoria, for example, using an electric car is actually worse for the environment than using a petrol-based one.

When I lived in Borneo, I visited the Sandakan war memorial, where I found out that Japanese Imperial forces made ANZAC & British POWs march all the way from Sandakan to Ranau. A nine day walk on four days of rations.

But yeah they totally went about their "task" with a sense of honour.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Gough Suppressant posted:

Xenophon is thinking "I am a piece of poo poo"

This. Xenophon's a bit like Turnbull in that he'll do the occasional "good thing" that people notice and go "wow, this guy's great", but the majority of the time he's a fuckwit.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Remember when that bill passed the lower house?

:smug:

edit:

pretty sure this is happening

edit edit:

ALBOMANIA

https://twitter.com/AlboMP/status/487064563011956737

Mattjpwns fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 10, 2014

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

:woop:

Looks like there might actually be some truth to Ricky Muir having an interest in green energy? Anyone who didn't already write him to fluff his newbie senator ego for yesterday's vote against gagging the debate should write him now to praise him for voting down the repeal:

Quickie online contact form from the Parliament website:
http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Contact_Senator_or_Member?MPID=250024

Postal address (thanks QM):

Level 4, Treasury Place
Melbourne, VIC, 3002

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Great news!

I'd like to return to the Japan comment for a bit. Reminder: This is what your Prime Minister said about Japan's activities during World War 2:

quote:

We admired the skill and the sense of honour that they brought to their task although we disagreed with what they did. Perhaps we grasped, even then, that with a change of heart the fiercest of opponents could be the best of friends.

Let's now look at a little unit run by the Japanese during World War 2 -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

quote:

Prisoners of war [15] were subjected to vivisection without anesthesia.[16] Vivisections were performed on prisoners after infecting them with various diseases. Researchers performed invasive surgery on prisoners, removing organs to study the effects of disease on the human body. These were conducted while the patients were alive because it was feared that the decomposition process would affect the results.[17] The infected and vivisected prisoners included men, women, children, and infants.[18]

Prisoners had limbs amputated in order to study blood loss. Those limbs that were removed were sometimes re-attached to the opposite sides of the body. Some prisoners' limbs were frozen and amputated, while others had limbs frozen then thawed to study the effects of the resultant untreated gangrene and rotting.

Some prisoners had their stomachs surgically removed and the esophagus reattached to the intestines. Parts of the brain, lungs, liver, etc. were removed from some prisoners.[16][19]

Prisoners were injected with inoculations of disease, disguised as vaccinations, to study their effects. To study the effects of untreated venereal diseases, male and female prisoners were deliberately infected, often by rape, with syphilis and gonorrhea, then studied.

Plague fleas, infected clothing, and infected supplies encased in bombs were dropped on various targets. The resulting cholera, anthrax, and plague were estimated to have killed around and possibly more than 400,000 Chinese civilians.[21] Tularemia was tested on Chinese civilians.[22]

Unit 731 and its affiliated units (Unit 1644 and Unit 100 among others) were involved in research, development, and experimental deployment of epidemic-creating biowarfare weapons in assaults against the Chinese populace (both civilian and military) throughout World War II. Plague-infested fleas, bred in the laboratories of Unit 731 and Unit 1644, were spread by low-flying airplanes upon Chinese cities, coastal Ningbo in 1940, and Changde, Hunan Province, in 1941. This military aerial spraying killed thousands of people with bubonic plague epidemics.[23]

Human targets were used to test grenades positioned at various distances and in different positions. Flame throwers were tested on humans. Humans were tied to stakes and used as targets to test germ-releasing bombs, chemical weapons, and explosive bombs.[24][25]

In other tests, subjects were deprived of food and water to determine the length of time until death; placed into high-pressure chambers until death; experimented upon to determine the relationship between temperature, burns, and human survival; placed into centrifuges and spun until death; injected with animal blood; exposed to lethal doses of x-rays; subjected to various chemical weapons inside gas chambers; injected with sea water to determine if it could be a substitute for saline solution; and burned or buried alive.[26]

such honour

Those On My Left fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 10, 2014

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mattjpwns posted:

Remember when that bill passed the lower house?

:smug:

edit:

pretty sure this is happening

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
^---- totally an accurate capture of the progression of Tony Dumb Dumb's facial expressions over the course of today.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

Great news!

I'd like to return to the Japan comment for a bit. Reminder: This is what your Prime Minister said about Japan's activities during World War 2:

Let's now look at a little unit run by the Japanese during World War 2 -https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

such honour

You forgot some of the best bits

quote:

Many of the researchers involved in Unit 731 went on to prominent careers in post-war politics, academia, business, and medicine.

quote:

As above, under the American occupation the members of Unit 731 and other experimental units were allowed to go free. One graduate of Unit 1644, Masami Kitaoka, continued to do experiments on unwilling Japanese subjects from 1947 to 1956 while working for Japan's National Institute of Health Sciences. He infected prisoners with rickettsia and mental health patients with typhus.

quote:

Japanese discussions of Unit 731's activity began in the 1950s, after the end of the American occupation of Japan. In 1952, human experiments carried out in Nagoya City Pediatric Hospital, which resulted in one death, were publicly tied to former members of Unit 731.

quote:

In 1942, [Masaji Kitano] was appointed the 2nd commander of Unit 731. His predecessor was Shiro Ishii. In April, 1945, he was promoted to lieutenant surgeon general and appointed commander of the 13th Army Medical Corps. After Japanese surrender, August 1945, he was detained in a POW camp in Shanghai. Like all involved[citation needed] with Unit 731 or Japanese biological warfare, he was repatriated to Japan in January 1946.

After he came back to Japan, he worked for Green Cross, a Japanese Pharmaceutical company. In 1959 he became head of the plant in Tokyo and the chief director of that company. He was the chief funeral commissioner of Shiro Ishii, a fellow Unit 731 member.

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.
I haven't been able to find anything so far - what is the reason for Palmer blocking the Carbon Bill?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Readman posted:

I haven't been able to find anything so far - what is the reason for Palmer blocking the Carbon Bill?

The gag on debate which he voted for did not allow him to put forward his preferred amendments.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Those On My Left posted:

Great news!

Let's now look at a little unit run by the Japanese during World War 2 -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

such honour

Sounds like Tony's kind of jam.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Bifauxnen posted:

:woop:

Looks like there might actually be some truth to Ricky Muir having an interest in green energy? Anyone who didn't already write him to fluff his newbie senator ego for yesterday's vote against gagging the debate should write him now to praise him for voting down the repeal:

Quickie online contact form from the Parliament website:
http://www.aph.gov.au/Senators_and_Members/Contact_Senator_or_Member?MPID=250024

Postal address (thanks QM):

Level 4, Treasury Place
Melbourne, VIC, 3002

Just send him a letter saying "Onya Ricky!".

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

:lol:

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

Readman posted:

Very OT, but I could use some advice on suiting in Australia and your posts in the men's suit thread suggest you're the one to talk to. You don't have PMs so is there any other way I can get in touch?

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Where did you get this?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Those On My Left posted:

Where did you get this?

Someone posted it on twitter

Freudian Slip
Mar 10, 2007

"I'm an archivist. I'm archiving."

Gough Suppressant posted:

You know what we should do? Commission a report into legislation and then vote on the legislation four loving days before the report comes in.

Four. loving. Days.

So this means we will see this report before they vote on the new bill. What are the chances that this report will say it is awesome and working and to repeal the ETS would be stupid? Who was the report written by?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Those On My Left posted:

Where did you get this?

http://www.spectator.co.uk/australia/australia-leading-article/9260971/hip-hip-hooray-2/

quote:

Barring any more sudden Ricky Muir-like surprises, it looks as if the Senate will repeal the carbon tax; so allow us a little gloating. When the Australian edition of The Spectator was created in 2008, we took a leaf out of Bill Buckley’s National Review in 1955 and stood athwart History, yelling Stop. We yelled because, like broadcaster Alan Jones, pundit Andrew Bolt and the Institute of Public Affairs, we hoped to be heard in a conformist climate. These were the days of Tim Flannery’s hysteria, the Garnaut Report’s hype and Kevin Rudd’s ‘greatest moral challenge’.

The orthodoxy held that even though average temperatures had barely changed in recent times we were headed for an environmental catastrophe in a few years, and only drastic changes to our way of life could possibly prevent it. With his poll numbers in the doldrums, Malcolm Turnbull looked like one of those doctors in Grey’s Anatomy who had observed the ailment but misdiagnosed it. Opposition to Labor’s plans for an ETS, he warned, would annihilate the federal Coalition, so Mr Turnbull fell over himself to accommodate Mr Rudd at every turn. But when his successor Tony Abbott challenged this cozy consensus, the political wind turned into Labor’s perfect storm. After Copenhagen, Mr Rudd imploded. Almost overnight, his stratospheric poll figures cratered. The very experts who only a few months earlier had predicted electoral oblivion for an anti-ETS Coalition — Paul Kelly, Laurie Oakes, Peter Hatcher, Michelle Grattan, Lenore Taylor, Mark Kenny — were forced to concede Mr Abbott’s tactical acumen.

Facing a changing (political) climate, Mr Rudd ditched the ETS. In June 2010 Labor’s factional warlords panicked, knifed him and installed Julia Gillard, who had recognised that the carbon tax was so unpopular that she promised not to enact one as a ploy to win votes at the election. After Labor joined with Greens to create a minority government, she went about legislating the very tax she pledged not to introduce. The effect of mounting mistrust had destroyed Ms Gillard’s authority in the lead-up to the 2013 election. She was subsequently knifed — by the very bloke she had backstabbed three years earlier. Back in office for only two months, Mr Rudd pretended he would scrap the hugely unpopular tax, again as a ploy to win votes. But Middle Australia was not to be fooled (again), voting for his much-maligned opponent in a landslide last September. With the new Senate this month, the scene has been set for the repeal of one of the most controversial laws in Australian history.

The lesson here is that voters are not easily deceived when politicians try to conceal the costs of their environmental ambitions. Nor do emissions restrictions grow more popular the more politicians try to sell them. Another lesson is that real leaders are not afraid to challenge a stifling political consensus. When global warming alarmism was dominant in late 2009, Mr Abbott — encouraged by people like us — had the political nerve and moral conviction to provoke people into questioning the religious fervour of carbon pricing. To wit, he has been able to pioneer a new direction in climate policy that has transformed Australian politics. Bring out the champagne!
More carbon follies

Apparently, Australia is about to destroy the world because Tony Abbott will end the carbon tax. Who brands Mr Abbott such a planetary vandal? None other than Lord Deben, a thermomaniac climate-change Cassandra from England. Lord Deben used to be a British cabinet minister, a job he did with little distinction. When minister of agriculture during the mad cow crisis he was so desperate to calm things down, and keep his job, he made his blameless little daughter eat a hamburger for a grotesque photo opportunity. Luckily, the girl survived.

Now he feathers his nest chairing and working for various businesses that exploit fears about man-made global warming to rake in cash. He has no scientific training, but makes up for it with an arresting line in alarmist self-righteousness. His po-faced doom-mongering has long made him a laughing stock in Britain, where not everyone is aware of his financial interest in lobbying for swingeing carbon taxes.

Now, his toxic brand has gone global. Mr Abbott reflects the growing consensus on the futility of carbon pricing. After all, prospects for a binding and enforceable global post-Kyoto deal at Paris next year are about as likely as England winning the soccer World Cup in 2018. Lord Deben is entitled to go money-grubbing at the expense of the gullible, but he should not include us among them. If we ever want his self-serving, propagandising opinions again — and it’s unlikely — we’ll ask for them.

This article first appeared in the print edition of The Spectator magazine, dated 12 July 2014 Aus

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
There's an Australian version of the Spectator? And it's been around for over five years? And I haven't even noticed?

Readman
Jun 15, 2005

What it boils down to is wider nature strips, more trees and we'll all make wicker baskets in Balmain.

These people are trying to make my party into something other than it is. They're appendages. That's why I'll never abandon ship, and never let those people capture it.

Kim Jong ill posted:

Very OT, but I could use some advice on suiting in Australia and your posts in the men's suit thread suggest you're the one to talk to. You don't have PMs so is there any other way I can get in touch?

If you want to post in that thread now, I'll have a look.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

hit their comments section.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

This is the best Shadenfreude. It may only be for the moment, but this is hilarious.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The Deadly Hume posted:

There's an Australian version of the Spectator? And it's been around for over five years? And I haven't even noticed?

The Australian stuff is only a few pages per issue. It's pretty interesting to compare the writing styles of the British Torys to the Australian ones. The ideas in the British part of the magazine might be just as bad, but the presentation of them is worlds apart.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
You know, if Tony thinks imprisoning, starving and torturing people is "honourable" behaviour, maybe we've had his intentions on refugees wrong. Maybe he actually does think he's treating them honourably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Courtesy of Juan Small Keating

http://www.reddit.com/r/Prematurecelebration/comments/2aav63/the_spectator_goes_to_print_celebrating_the/

• Locked thread