Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Grundma posted:

I always played fortress mode, but with the new version I thought I'd take a shot at adventurer mode:

:stare:
hail tzeentch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The "hey" is somehow the best part of that. It makes it sound so nonchalant. "Hey Tath. Praise murder. You going to the game?"

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I kinda wish the military guys you can recruit as adventurers started with at least some skill in discipline instead of falling over bawling at the first sign of combat.

In other news, while patrolling my hometown looking for goblin troublemakers, I heard sounds of combat coming from a nearby cottage. I rushed in to help, only to find a small child stabbing some other fellow to death. The child was in No Quarter mode, while the victim was listed as an Ally for some reason. Feeling a surge of righteous, heroic fury, I struck down the mighty 6 year old by stabbing him in the head. The room immediately exploded in a roar of indignation and grieving, and my companions started spitting on me, calling me a murderer. A few brave (and foolish) souls even struck out in anger, with intent to kill. You're welcome, you jerks.

While this was going on, I would occasionally hear the haunting moans of a twilight ogre, lamenting the death surrounding her as she stalked from home to home, slaughtering it's inhabitants. Every time I tried tracking her down, I would only find a house full of fresh bodies, with no trace of the creature except for the constant woeful cries. I would catch a glimpse of her here and there, but she'd be gone before I could catch up. Eventually, she sprung out from a nearby house and charged at me. I called out to her, condemning her for her atrocities and boasting about my many deeds. She responded by knocking me out in one hit and bursting my head open like a grape. RIP

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I found a town in the middle of a huge brawl so I figured I'd whip out my axe and join in. At one point I stopped to bellow the names of those I had slain and to quench my thirst in several puddles of blood. After I was satiated I licked the severed hand of one of my victims. A woodcutter saw this and spat at me but I skillfully blocked his airborne phlem with my shield.

WhenInRome
Jun 17, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

Huh. Apparently Gamo the murderdemon has been dead for centuries - in year 80 he was somehow captured and imprisoned for 23 years, then he managed to escape and returned to his dark fortress. He killed a couple of humans on the way, then ruled uneventfully for seventeen years, apart from killing a single human in 113. He was "murdered" - not struck down, murdered - by the dwarf Utes Scaldeddevils in 120. Utes had just moved into the fortress as a farmer and was apparently not at all down with Gamo's style of governance, since she has no kills at all apart from singlehandedly assassinating the demonic god-emperor of murder holy poo poo.

She celebrated by getting married the following year, then having three kids. She and her husband were murdered in 124 by a vampire; her children survived her by decades, but were all ultimately murdered at random by different people. Looking through the legends, it appears that Waxmaligned, the dark fortress that saw Gamo murdered, his murderer murdered, and his murderer's children murdered after murdering several other people, has kind of a high murder rate. It would seem that its occupants take their worship of the deity of murder incredibly seriously - sudden, seemingly acontextual homicides are amazingly common in the history of its citizens.

This world is amazingly insane. It's like Dwarf Fortress took a wrong turn and ended up in Warhammer 40K or something. Literally everything in the world is murder and war and everyone just kind of accepts that as The Way Things Are.

Holy gently caress, could you upload the save somewhere? I need to play this.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

WhenInRome posted:

Holy gently caress, could you upload the save somewhere? I need to play this.

That world is on my work computer. I'll see if I can figure something out tomorrow.

My work comp sucks and DF crashes on it a lot, so if I manage to upload this thing, please share stories of your experiences in murderland.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Angry Diplomat posted:

My work comp sucks and DF crashes on it a lot

This isnt just you. :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah but like, my work computer really sucks. It runs this pocket world slow as hell.

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
From the past few days of playing I've found that some people are really hard to kill, I just spent a whole minute stabbing a goblin in the head before eventually my ally shot him in the gut which seemed to speed up the process because he began retching and eventually I cut off his head. But it really took a long time to fell a single goblin. I also had a weird bug where I was always hungry and eating didn't seem to help and not eating didn't make it worse.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Starting as an elf, I found myself in a tree.

I had no idea how to get down. I tried a lot of things. Eventually I tried jumping.

quote:

You fail to grab the Silkenshrine the Hermit of Aquamarine, thick hazel tree branches!
You fail to grab the Silkenshrine the Hermit of Aquamarine, hazel tree branches!
You fail to grab the Silkenshrine the Hermit of Aquamarine, hazel tree branches!
You slam into an obstacle!
Your left lower leg takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle through the kenaf plant fiber dress!
Your right lower leg takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle through the kenaf plant fiber dress!
Your right hand takes the full force of the impact and the part splits in gore!
Your lower body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts through the flax plant fiber coat!
Your tongue takes the full force of the impact, bruising the left cheek's skin through the flax plant fiber coat!
You give in to pain.
You fall over.
You regain consciousness.
You give in to pain.
You give in to pain.
You give in to pain.
The Bowyer stands up.

Yup I slipped trying to swing down and blew up my hand when I fell down several stories.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

All of the remaining dwarves are apparently located in a tomb. I started a dwarf adventurer there and started on top of the tomb. My only choice was to try and jump from tree to tree, slowly moving my way down. Needless to say, that didn't work, and I broke my spine and suffocated to death.

e: After several attempts of this, all ending in death, I realized you could just climb down the trees. I went inside and was promptly killed by traps

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 10, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I started up a biter elf. Teeth are good for ripping up stuff but finishing off creatures? Not so great. I wrestled with a goblin for a bit then stole his arrows off him, but couldnt get him to give up his bow. Fortunately I could just throw the arrows straight at him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SharkAKALegitShark posted:

From the past few days of playing I've found that some people are really hard to kill, I just spent a whole minute stabbing a goblin in the head before eventually my ally shot him in the gut which seemed to speed up the process because he began retching and eventually I cut off his head. But it really took a long time to fell a single goblin. I also had a weird bug where I was always hungry and eating didn't seem to help and not eating didn't make it worse.

If they're already unconscious you can take off their headgear using wrestling moves then pulp 'em.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Arena mode in the new version is awesome. Dragons seem oddly improved. Jumping is hilarious. The possibilities are endless. I wish I didn't have work+academics weighing me down. I just want to dwarf, is that so much to ask?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Jumping is hilarious.

Earlier I wanted to kill a night hag consort in a tree so I sprinted and jumped from the adjacent hill such that I slammed bodily into him. We both went flying out of the tree, but I landed on my feet while he skidded along on his back and was stunned. It was pretty loving awesome.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm not sure what to make of these sites at all anymore.

21: Laththelire, "Tradedtree", forest retreat
Owner: The Barbarity of Harmonizing, goblins
Parent Civ: The Factional Lie, goblins
administrator: Atu Tormentmerchant, elf
5 elves
100 gorillas
100 grizzly bears
100 bobcats
100 elephants

Avekema, "Woodenscribes", forest retreat
350 grizzly bears
100 elephants
350 leopards
350 mandrills
350 gorillas
2 white-handed gibbons
2 hamsters
350 bobcats
350 ocelots

Uzem, "Sliverjackal", dark fortress
Owner: The Jackal of Frenzy, goblins
Parent Civ: The Eternal Scourge, goblins
lady: Deduk Minedrazors, dwarf
194 dwarves
2 elves
1 pearl monster
1484 goblins
1700 trolls
55 dwarf prisoners

By the way, does anyone know what the "divine"/enchanted metals and other materials do? I tried testing in the arena and looking up the raws, but I haven't been able to discern anything concrete. Can't find the raws, even in the appropriate save's raws folder.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've tried looking at a few newbie guides, but they all seem to be fairly out of date. Is there any remotely recently written guide for DF anywhere?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Given that this is the first new version in over a year, they're all out of date.

Also how the hell are you supposed to climb up/down trees?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

Given that this is the first new version in over a year, they're all out of date.

Also how the hell are you supposed to climb up/down trees?

Click h to grab onto things, then use the regular keys to move. Prompts should pop up at that point. You can press capital S to climb faster or slower, same for sprinting on the ground as well. Sprinting is great, let's you jump further.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So how far can things jump and what determines if they will try to or not in fortress mode?

Is there any documentation or is it time for science involving moats of varying widths and some captured prisoners?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh my god enemies have visible line of sight cones in stealth mode! Time to roll up Urist Solidsnakes.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Oh my god enemies have visible line of sight cones in stealth mode! Time to roll up Urist Solidsnakes.

Holy poo poo, so that's what those are. I just assumed the malodorous slime I got covered in was making me trip balls.

e: If you're going to go explore a Dark Tower, you should probably generate a pocket world with a really short history. It's lagging like hell for me and there's only like 400 living things here. Imagine how bad one of those 10000+ dark forts would be.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 10, 2014

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

How are people having these great adventures in adventure mode? I wandered down a dwarven tunnel-road, recruited a macedwarf, resurfaced on the other side of a mountain range with no bearings on the night creature I was hunting and tried to sate my growing hunger by killing the first thing I saw (a weasel) only to have my adventurer slice it into a nearby pond like a furry golf ball which I then drowned while trying to retrieve so I could eat it.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Cephalocidal posted:

How are people having these great adventures in adventure mode? I wandered down a dwarven tunnel-road, recruited a macedwarf, resurfaced on the other side of a mountain range with no bearings on the night creature I was hunting and tried to sate my growing hunger by killing the first thing I saw (a weasel) only to have my adventurer slice it into a nearby pond like a furry golf ball which I then drowned while trying to retrieve so I could eat it.

You should start with some food. Also remember that after you get above ground you can use "T" to quickly move around the map. Q opens the quest menu, and can show you the location of any creatures/bandits/whatever you're hunting.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Cephalocidal posted:

It sounds like you've gotten the hang of it :confused:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cephalocidal posted:

That sounds like an adventure to me.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

By the way, does anyone know what the "divine"/enchanted metals and other materials do? I tried testing in the arena and looking up the raws, but I haven't been able to discern anything concrete. Can't find the raws, even in the appropriate save's raws folder.
I don't really think these are spoilers, but based on what I've seen in the arena, the new metals are all basically like adamantine, but are better (but not great) for blunt attacks despite apparently being as light. The new cloth wasn't any good at stopping battle axes, so my guess is that it either can have some enchanted power in adventurer mode or is just flavor.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Cephalocidal posted:

That's a great adventure. Meanwhile, my adventure ended when I declared myself lord of The Room of Slaughter but the demon master was out of hearing range so the game crashed.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

GorfZaplen posted:

e: If you're going to go explore a Dark Tower, you should probably generate a pocket world with a really short history. It's lagging like hell for me and there's only like 400 living things here. Imagine how bad one of those 10000+ dark forts would be.

I made this mistake earlier. Took five minutes or so to walk one step, and it crashed while unloading the site :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

So, I'm not even really sure what's up with the 'divine' metals. Are they just, like, top-tier poo poo generated with random stats in each world or something?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
They're for new Hidden Fun Stuff. Most interesting to me is that gods apparently get newly generated creatures to wield the divine metals and such. That will make for good storytelling in a succession LP.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Threw a series of adventurers at some bleak creatures to try and wipe out their lair. One of them killed the current adventurer but not before suffering serious leg injuries. When I tracked it with the next adventurer, it had left not just an imprint of its head in the dirt but individual eye prints. Night creatures don't seem to have the aversion to violence that everyone else has, as at least this family seems to instantly shoot to "No Quarter" mode as soon as I show up.

e: as the wounded but surviving adventurer drags themselves back to town to brag, they've left not just glove and coat prints but ear and tooth prints.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 10, 2014

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I'd love to see a new Let's Play, but who knows when that will happen as the main game crashing bugs have to be fixed (see you in 3 months).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i embarked next to a volcano and somehow within a month one of my initial 7 dwarves has gone missing and/or dead and i have no idea how other than the softly glowing answer not that far from me

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I forget, did Toady add goblin sappers in this version or was that just him speculating about things?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Dwarven dentistry:

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010
So, apparently adventuring mode companions don't like giving back the stuff you give them. I thought I was smart dividing up the meat from the giraffe I butchered to lighten my load, but despite thanking me for giving them the food, asking for it back was met with "over my dead body!" Man, what ingrates. I mean, it's not like they're even coded to eat anything yet. Because my food supply was cut short, I went to a nearby river and subsequently drowned trying to retrieve a carp I managed to beat to death with a mace. To be honest, this is what I should have expected from my first adventurer in two years.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

So I just started up an adventure, landed myself in a rather labyrinthine fortress. I stumble across a few dwarves here and there, but one room had a goblin in it, who immediately leveled its bow at me, but missed its first shot.
I drew my hammer, grabbed the goblins head with my hammer and punched it in the body, which immediately put it on the floor. Then, I swung my warhammer into the prone goblins neck, breaking its spinal cord. Another swing to the head and it was done. I took it's helm and breastplate.

Most everyone else in the fortress said "It was inevitable." when I told them of my scuffle, so I figure the goblin had it coming. I spend a while longer searching around and find a Human Crossbowman who wants to join my cause. Great!

I search around some more and I notice my framerate drops and I see quite a bit of "!" marks moving around, indicating heard movement. I make my way into a room that has a dwarf and 6 goblins in it. I figure I'm in for a fight, but no one seems to mind. Dwarves and goblins living in harmony! :psydwarf:

But that harmony only extends so far, because, as my human crossbowman enters the room, the goblins flip out and attack him. I'm a little worried here, but I decide to see where this goes. Sure enough, the goblins gang-rush the human, who fails after a pretty prolonged skirmish, but have no qualm with me.
The next few rooms have a few dozen goblins milling about, with a single count, who spits at me. :shrug:

I recruited a few goblins to join me instead. I still haven't found my way out yet...

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
If you're lost in a fortress, note that you can now fast travel while in the fortress/tunnel parts of the underground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012