Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Apocron posted:

This is the interview if you're interested:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19409960

This led me to another delightful thing:
https://twitter.com/CountVonCount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

theflyingorc posted:

This led me to another delightful thing:
https://twitter.com/CountVonCount

Here's your semi-periodical reminder that this exists: https://twitter.com/JJONAHJAMESON

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Just reviewed a Stormwatch spin-off on my 90's comic review blog, and while I liked Brett Booth's art in the issue, this image really cracked me up:

(From Backlash #1 by Brett Booth)

Don't even try to hide your sources, 90's Image!

Full review is here: http://thepouchfiles.blogspot.com/2014/07/review-backlash-1.html

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

laz0rbeak posted:

Just reviewed a Stormwatch spin-off on my 90's comic review blog, and while I liked Brett Booth's art in the issue, this image really cracked me up:

(From Backlash #1 by Brett Booth)

Don't even try to hide your sources, 90's Image!

Full review is here: http://thepouchfiles.blogspot.com/2014/07/review-backlash-1.html

I had no idea Deadpool was Jewish.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Gavok posted:

I had no idea Deadpool was Jewish.

I'm more confused about why he's hanging out with Mr. Sinister.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
These are from Dash Shaw's Cosplayers #2 which just came out digitally today. This issue introduced my new favorite character, Manga Scholar Ben Baxter.
Go grab the rest of the issue, it's great!

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?
This week, in a very special issue of Copernicus Jones: Robot Detective.

A cameo by the long-lost Mister Butlertron.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Invincible Iron Man #25.

I thought vodka was his thing?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Invincible Iron Man #25.

That's clearly the gun talking.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Say Nothing posted:

Invincible Iron Man #25.

Where's that What The? page when you need it.

Oh there it is.

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 11, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That reminds me of Patton Oswalt's bit about how drug and alcohol addictions are cool and scary and dangerous, and overeating is just incredibly lame, despite being pretty harmful.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

That reminds me of Patton Oswalt's bit about how drug and alcohol addictions are cool and scary and dangerous, and overeating is just incredibly lame, despite being pretty harmful.

Well until we get a bunch of cool rock stars and leading actors biting it because of gluttony that's probably always gonna be the case. The closest we have is Mama Cass choking on a ham sandwich and even that is just a misconception.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmcx7G4KsJg

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Say Nothing posted:

Invincible Iron Man #25.

My mind can't parse this image. It looks like Iron Man has developed some sort of Kuato like growth erupting from his torso.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

Where's that What The? page when you need it.

Oh there it is.

Tony looks exactly like a younger Mr. Creosote from Meaning of Life.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Dick Trauma posted:

My mind can't parse this image. It looks like Iron Man has developed some sort of Kuato like growth erupting from his torso.

His expression of anguish/pain certainly doesn't hurt with that interpretation but I prefer to think it's because someone in the previous panel just annihilated a bunch of donuts and this is Tony's distraught revenge line.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Dick Trauma posted:

It looks to me like his right arm is inside the gun, Samus-style.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FredMSloniker posted:

It looks to me like his right arm is inside the gun, Samus-style.

That's a gun? The perspective is so hosed up. Is this Salvator Laroca?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
From the nozzle arrangement at the front, it looks like some sort of flamethrower.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Kwyndig posted:

Part of that is because they never break character in public, as far as the puppeteer is concerned, the puppet character is who they are when they're on the job. I read an interesting account of an interview once where they had to explain to the Count (in language a Sesame Street character would respond to) that the interview was going to start late because of technical problems.

This is my favorite little bit on it, I think:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqoxzj_quentin-talks-muppets_news

Dick Trauma posted:

He's a transformer stuck between Vehicle and Robot modes

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Lurdiak posted:

That's a gun? The perspective is so hosed up. Is this Salvator Laroca?

That is a Larocca Special :barf: That book was pretty great if you can get past his horrible artwork

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

He could at least trace from sources in similar perspectives.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lobok posted:

Well until we get a bunch of cool rock stars and leading actors biting it because of gluttony that's probably always gonna be the case. The closest we have is Mama Cass choking on a ham sandwich and even that is just a misconception.

There's a couple others but the overeaters tend to be alcoholics and drug abusers too so it's kind of a race to see what kills them first.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Uncanny X-Men #178

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Everyone in comics who can fly just loves zig-zagging around instead of taking the direct path. I'd be grumpy too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lobok posted:

Everyone in comics who can fly just loves zig-zagging around instead of taking the direct path. I'd be grumpy too.

I thought that storm can not fly, she just rides the wind.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think that's the formal explanation but given how stupid that idea is (why would only she be picked up by wind, even localized wind?) almost everyone just writes/draws it as generic flight.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

That's just the Marvel Science explanation of why she can fly. Like how Thor flies by not letting go when he throws Mjolnir.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ghostlight posted:

That's just the Marvel Science explanation of why she can fly. Like how Thor flies by not letting go when he throws Mjolnir.

Hey, Stan Lee is very scientific.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

Has anyone ever followed that line of thinking in a fight? Like, Thor swings his hammer at a guy, misses, then goes flying off into the horizon because of the momentum?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Canemacar posted:

Has anyone ever followed that line of thinking in a fight? Like, Thor swings his hammer at a guy, misses, then goes flying off into the horizon because of the momentum?

Well, all he has to do is start spinning the hammer to hover, so I don't think it's usually a big deal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pretty sure he can just straight up fly as long as he's holding the hammer.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Believe that's a distinction between 616/Ultimate. One he can fly, one he holds Mjolnir.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was one story where the Avengers fight the Squadron Supreme; Thor throws his hammer at Hyperion, and Dr Spectrum traps it in one of his solid light constructs, so Thor can't fly and Hyperion immediately has the advantage.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

zoux posted:

Pretty sure he can just straight up fly as long as he's holding the hammer.

The explanation from WAY back in Ye Olden Days (the '60s) is that he throws the hammer, but immediately grabs the strap at the end and rides it through the air. He can control its direction while he does so because Mjolnir is of course :rory:enchanted:rory:.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ManiacClown posted:

The explanation from WAY back in Ye Olden Days (the '60s) is that he throws the hammer, but immediately grabs the strap at the end and rides it through the air. He can control its direction while he does so because Mjolnir is of course :rory:enchanted:rory:.

Yeah I know, but I think that these days that pretty much doesn't apply.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, so about 20 years ago there was a Simpsons comics crossover where everyone in Springfield except Bart gets superpowers when the nuclear plant explodes (I especially liked Troy McClure as the Sequelizer, who can create an infinite number of copies of himself, but each is only half as powerful as the one before it) and Bartman has to team up with Radioactive Man to stop them. Unfortunately I don't have a scan, but there's this great scene where Smithers has become "the Mighty Smiter" ("By the buns of Burns! I am surrounded by the renegade Fission Division!"), who wields "Kjolnir! Key to the Executive Washroom!" and says stuff like, "There is only one thing I can do, even though it breaks all the laws of physics! I must hurl Kjolnir skyward, neglecting to let go, thus achieving flight!"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jessica Drew can pretty much just straight up fly now right? And she used to only be able to "glide".

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Jessica Drew can pretty much just straight up fly now right? And she used to only be able to "glide".

When did she get replaced by the Skrull Queen? I remember the story about how she could now fly being a plot point of New Avengers, but was that really her?

Content: Thor is foiled by orbits after throwing his hammer through a force field. He then heroically hides under a tarp.

Source: Avengers #122

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

laz0rbeak posted:

When did she get replaced by the Skrull Queen? I remember the story about how she could now fly being a plot point of New Avengers, but was that really her?

Content: Thor is foiled by orbits after throwing his hammer through a force field. He then heroically hides under a tarp.

Source: Avengers #122

Goddamn, I bought that comic new when I was a little kid.

• Locked thread