Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Is Slow Motion using some standard accounting template when he posts his monthly reports? Or is it just something he came up with? My head hurts after figuring out how I was supposed to read them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

MrEnigma posted:

Also if you pay it not via your paycheck, you're paying FICA on that money, not a huge difference, but money either way.

I dodge FICA by having an payroll admin shift part of my bonus into an HSA contribution.

Monaghan posted:

If your end goal is to buy a Condo (presumably in the near future) why are you even moving to a more expensive apartment? why not just save for the downpayment?

Cause I like fancy things. The difference between a $1,000 a month rat hole and a $2,000 nice place is less than a half hour a day of billed time.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

.Z. posted:

Is Slow Motion using some standard accounting template when he posts his monthly reports? Or is it just something he came up with? My head hurts after figuring out how I was supposed to read them.
Go look at them from last summer - even worse. This is a version I help make by cleaning up his other ones. It's pretty not good though. But don't worry - he is a wizard with Excel and does it all day. My boss sure wouldn't accept something that looked like this, but I don't work in high finance.

SloMo, serious question, why didn't you buy a condo this summer?

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 9, 2014

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Lets be fair sigma, he doesn't have his macros.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Slow Motion posted:

?I go to therapy. Between me and the employer contribution I'm putting $400 a month in the HSA. Therapy is paid for out of there along with all my other little medical costs.
Wait, then why do you have a line item for $300 in medical expenses?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Wait, then why do you have a line item for $300 in medical expenses?

That's the out of pocket money he pays for his therapist because he doesn't have the money in his HSA.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I spent part of my July bonus on a motorcycle and my boss paid off his vacation home. Care to share your plans with us SloMo? Can you even compete on this level?

Slow Motion
Jul 19, 2004

My favorite things in life are sex, drugs, feeling like a baller, and being $30,000 in debt.

Veskit posted:

That's the out of pocket money he pays for his therapist because he doesn't have the money in his HSA.

Not really 'out of pocket'. It's actually a $400 deduction on my paycheck into the HSA. Then from that I pay the therapist, pharmacy, lab or whatever.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I think my favorite part of this thread is the is slowmo currently stating he only has ~$15K in debt. He has ~$20K in debt, you can't count the money in the checking account if you aren't willing to spend it to actually pay off the debt.

Unless Slowmo goes crazy though he will make his debt go away.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Slow Motion posted:

And July's prospective. I'll be done with CC debt this month :toot:.

I can dump pretax from year end bonus to max it out if that suits me.

I highly doubt your bonus will be that high. Just saying.

Question SlowMo, after last month's debacle, what plans do you have in place to not overspend in your categories for the month of July? Also, is it too much to ask for a perspective to come out before the month starts?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Slow Motion posted:

Not really 'out of pocket'. It's actually a $400 deduction on my paycheck into the HSA. Then from that I pay the therapist, pharmacy, lab or whatever.

Slow Motion posted:

That's exactly what I did. I took Tuesday off to go drinking. Then I came in on Wednesday and only lasted till noon. Beaches are better than offices. Thursday was packing day and I left early Friday morning for Shi Shi beach. Three days there was rejuvenating. Plus I got to make friends with this little guy.

How the gently caress do you spend 300 dollars in your HSA account here yet not have any medical expenses then if this were the case?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

PassTheRemote posted:

what plans do you have in place to not overspend in your categories for the month of July?

Error 404 - Not Found

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Seriously, this idiot is going to be poor his whole life. He really is a good example of how some people are going to be poor no matter how much money they make.

This thread should now be exclusively anecdotes about how slow motion being a complete moron has inspired them to be better than him.

Lelorox
Jul 28, 2013

BFC SLACKER 2014

SpelledBackwards posted:

Error 404 - Not Found

I'm still waiting for the 4th of July spending bonanza report.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
Oh for gently caress's sake.

Do you think we'll ever get a reason for the sudden flipflop of apartment & car goals? Dude hasn't even passed his exam or gotten a favourable performance review yet.

This is ridiculous.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
How baller Slo Mo thinks he is with money:

How baller he actually is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcniyQYFU6M

(the little one is his budget)

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

Old Fart posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Do you think we'll ever get a reason for the sudden flipflop of apartment & car goals? Dude hasn't even passed his exam or gotten a favourable performance review yet.

This is ridiculous.

Exam results release day is like Christmas - whats going to be in the box?

Slowmo, do you want to call your shot on passing the exam and post your candidate number in the thread? I don't think there is a way to reverse engineer any information from your candidate number other than if it passed or not.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

SiGmA_X posted:

Edit: you need an M1/3/4/5/6 or an S-Class BTW. Or a Porch. I hear 997GT3's are durty cheap these days.

SloMo could get a low-mileage, mid-to-late-2000s Maserati for $30-40K. It's hard to ball harder than a luxury car with a Ferrari engine under the hood.

Do it, SloMo! I have faith in you!

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Spook posted:

Exam results release day is like Christmas - whats going to be in the box?

Slowmo, do you want to call your shot on passing the exam and post your candidate number in the thread? I don't think there is a way to reverse engineer any information from your candidate number other than if it passed or not.

Yep, post the candidate number, swolemo. Do it for America :911:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Pretty evident that nothing anyone says in this thread will change your spending habits or lifestyle, so why don't you just post some pics of your baller stuff?

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
If you ain't got a motorcycle, you ain't poo poo. Buy a motorcycle, Slowmo. DO it. (Chicks dig it.)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Monaghan posted:

If your end goal is to buy a Condo (presumably in the near future) why are you even moving to a more expensive apartment? why not just save for the downpayment?

Because conspicuous consumption is literally the only thing SlowMo lives for. It's a very sad life.

.Z. posted:

If SlowMo worked where I do and turned in work like that for a client he'd probably get canned immediately. The only reason I can read it is because I've figured out all his bullshit. But he's an Excel wizard and a baller who works in an up-or-out field with a bad review on his record already. He's set for life :allears:

axeil fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 10, 2014

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

.Z. posted:

No poo poo. That sheet is terrible.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Slow Motion posted:

I dodge FICA by having an payroll admin shift part of my bonus into an HSA contribution.

Cause I like fancy things. The difference between a $1,000 a month rat hole and a $2,000 nice place is less than a half hour a day of billed time.

Let's do some simple math. You claim that 30 minutes of billed time over the course of a month equals $1,000 post-tax. Then if you billed 6 hours a day you would be making $12k/month. Your income would be $144k post-tax, or closer to $180k pre-tax.

Your highest income this year has been $8k. You're expecting a bonus of $11k, which is 75% of the total accrued; let's be generous and round it up to $15k total. Divided evenly between six months, that's less than $11k in your best month. And you've already admitted that you won't be billing as much in the second half of the year.

If I made the sort of numerical mistakes you make on a regular basis I would be fired. And it's funny how they always work out in your favor. I don't see how someone who works with numbers all day can be so lacking in critical analysis skills.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I read that as half hour a day for each day the entire month, so I guess about 15 hours.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

in_cahoots posted:

Let's do some simple math. You claim that 30 minutes of billed time over the course of a month equals $1,000 post-tax. Then if you billed 6 hours a day you would be making $12k/month. Your income would be $144k post-tax, or closer to $180k pre-tax.

Your highest income this year has been $8k. You're expecting a bonus of $11k, which is 75% of the total accrued; let's be generous and round it up to $15k total. Divided evenly between six months, that's less than $11k in your best month. And you've already admitted that you won't be billing as much in the second half of the year.

If I made the sort of numerical mistakes you make on a regular basis I would be fired. And it's funny how they always work out in your favor. I don't see how someone who works with numbers all day can be so lacking in critical analysis skills.

SlowMo won't give us his test number because he knows he failed his exam.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

spwrozek posted:

I read that as half hour a day for each day the entire month, so I guess about 15 hours.

The math works out either way. As it is he's billed an average of 181 hours a month, which is almost exactly 6 hours per day. And he's not bringing home anywhere near $12k/month.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Slow Motion posted:

Slowmo, remember when you first opened the thread and people were telling you to move out to a cheaper place? You refused, saying you love the place. Now you're moving to a fancier place.

Aren't you worried that the same might happen with your current place? it's nice now, but the appeal may fade and you may look longingly at an even more expensive apartment.

Hell at this point, I'm not even saying move to a cheaper apartment,though that's still the best option. Just stick to the apartment that you thought was nice a year ago. Use the money you saved to go to a downpayment. You have to practice at least some form of delayed gratification if you want to start making sound financial planning. Hell you could move to a more baller condo in a shorter period of time if you just saved money for a while.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Ugh, I can't believe I'm letting him troll me, but the formatting he uses is annoying.

I went back a few months and put together a spreadsheet of his stuff in a slightly (I hope) more sane and legible format. Some things of note:
1. I've got $28 more in expenses for February than Slow had on his sheet, not sure where the discrepancy is coming from.
2. Tried to make it more about what spending was occurring for the cash he had on hand at the start of the month.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Slow Motion posted:

I may have only taken Calculus I-III, Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations before age 19... but if I remember correctly, there exist numbers in the non-inclusive range between 1000 and 2000.

But don't quote me on that.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

SiGmA_X posted:

GMy boss sure wouldn't accept something that looked like this, but I don't work in high finance.

SlowMo doesn't work in high finance, either. He's an actuary (not baller). :whatup:

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Let's ignore the chicanery regarding debt repayment for a moment.

Income less expenses $50.

For a month.

How can you not see how close to financial disaster you are?

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

.Z. posted:

Ugh, I can't believe I'm letting him troll me, but the formatting he uses is annoying.

I went back a few months and put together a spreadsheet of his stuff in a slightly (I hope) more sane and legible format. Some things of note:
1. I've got $28 more in expenses for February than Slow had on his sheet, not sure where the discrepancy is coming from.
2. Tried to make it more about what spending was occurring for the cash he had on hand at the start of the month.

I enjoyed this post because it was interesting. I think I should put SloMo on ignore and just read everyone else's posts because SloMo's like some kind of void from which nothing worthwhile comes, even dumb posts on an internet comedy forum.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Calling it: this thread ends with "The Aristocrats!"

Realtalk: Slomo has the impulse control of a literal child, it seems. I'm a long way from believing the content is even real anymore.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

SpelledBackwards posted:

I may have only taken Calculus I-III, Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations before age 19... but if I remember correctly, there exist numbers in the non-inclusive range between 1000 and 2000.

But don't quote me on that.

He could afford to rent a decent townhouse between $1000 and $2000 a month. Hell, his friend I think offered a place for him to crash for a few months. Pay that friend and rent out a room in their place. Or do what us people do who try to save money do and get a roommate.

I want to know how SlowMo is going to save up enough for a condo down payment. He can't save money, how will he do that in the future? Also, will this condo have a scorpion mural?

Slow Motion posted:

You know what is also a fancy thing? Being able to retire at a good age and not have to worry about your financial future. Saving money is a fancy things, I see rich people doing it all the time.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

PassTheRemote posted:

He could afford to rent a decent townhouse between $1000 and $2000 a month. Hell, his friend I think offered a place for him to crash for a few months. Pay that friend and rent out a room in their place. Or do what us people do who try to save money do and get a roommate.

I want to know how SlowMo is going to save up enough for a condo down payment. He can't save money, how will he do that in the future? Also, will this condo have a scorpion mural?

You know what is also a fancy thing? Being able to retire at a good age and not have to worry about your financial future. Saving money is a fancy things, I see rich people doing it all the time.

I once knew a guy who said his retirement plan was to die at age 50. I think SlowMo has the same plan.

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

.Z. posted:

That's pretty interesting actually. How did his net 410k increase $9k from Feb to March?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Monaghan posted:

Aren't you worried that the same might happen with your current place? it's nice now, but the appeal may fade and you may look longingly at an even more expensive apartment.

It's good to be the king, even if it's for just one day.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

It's good to be the king, even if it's for just one day.

Damocles might not agree with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

.Z. posted:

It's because his spreadsheet was not calculating the sum properly. I caught that and pointed it out to him, and he fixed it, but his post from March 1 fails to include the interest payments in the expense total. Ergo, the actual expense total is $10043. The value that appears on the (broken) spreadsheet is expenses without interest payments, at $9848.

You managed to get within a few bucks because your debt total is wrong: 167+4929+258=5354 not the 5187 you have on your subtotal.

:laugh:

• Locked thread