Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

I might have checked it out. Most US car shows are more concerned with making cars go faster in a straight line. The fabrication shows are more annoying than interesting because the shop owner is always on the verge of a massive stroke.

And then there's Motorweek.

I've found a few on the internet that I liked, but I cannot for the life of me remember the one recently where dudes drove into the back of a cargo plane as it is taking off as a teaser for the next (season? episode?)

If the answer is "Top Gear US" I'm going to be very disappointed in myself, I even double-checked the ends of the last few episodes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kenshin posted:

I've found a few on the internet that I liked, but I cannot for the life of me remember the one recently where dudes drove into the back of a cargo plane as it is taking off as a teaser for the next (season? episode?)

If the answer is "Top Gear US" I'm going to be very disappointed in myself, I even double-checked the ends of the last few episodes...

It was Top Gear US, S05E02, called "Desert Trailblazers".

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

pik_d posted:

It was Top Gear US, S05E02, called "Desert Trailblazers".

Oh, was it just a joke about "where are we going?" then? I thought it was leading into an episode or a special or something.

Oh :420:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you hate Top Gear US to the point that you are literally shaking with sperg rage, you are just being a whiny baby. It's a good show. It's not as great as TGUK, but it's still a good show. Stop being a baby and watch the drat show or don't watch it. Seeing posts of "Wow, these hosts sure suck. Top Gear US sure does suck, right guys?" every week is getting annoying.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

If you hate Top Gear US to the point that you are literally shaking with sperg rage, you are just being a whiny baby. It's a good show. It's not as great as TGUK, but it's still a good show. Stop being a baby and watch the drat show or don't watch it. Seeing posts of "Wow, these hosts sure suck. Top Gear US sure does suck, right guys?" every week is getting annoying.

Found rutledge!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cojawfee posted:

Suck it up princess and stop whining like a baby

Also just going back a few posts.... what the hell is rolling coal?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cat Terrist posted:

Also just going back a few posts.... what the hell is rolling coal?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdDxjge5hmY

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

I might have checked it out. Most US car shows are more concerned with making cars go faster in a straight line. The fabrication shows are more annoying than interesting because the shop owner is always on the verge of a massive stroke.

And then there's Motorweek.
Automotive Insanity Top Gear Series 22 - And then there's Motorweek

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I watch Motorweek. :(

...when I'm having trouble falling asleep :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Okkkkaaaaay..... so this is some sort of thing to prove how much of an rear end in a top hat you are or something with a smoke tune?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Exactly that.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
Not so much that it has a "smoke tune", any pre-DPF diesel engine will smoke when you go wide-open under load like that.

It's just another wonderful facet of compensation-mobiles. Make yourself feel better by making everything around you much worse.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cat Terrist posted:

Okkkkaaaaay..... so this is some sort of thing to prove how much of an rear end in a top hat you are or something with a smoke tune?

No, see, it's to prove how much of an rear end in a top hat the other people are. For being bike-riding, tree-hugging, hybrid-driving hippies.

I wish siezed rings, diluted oil and shredded bearing upon every one of these fucks.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
All to good for those dieseldouches.

What should happen is the injectors should start leaking, and feeding engine oil into the combustion chamber, causing a runaway, so every moving part and most of the stuff near the motor will eventual be destroyed as it consumes itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPEDtKvt4lI

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Unload My Head posted:

Not so much that it has a "smoke tune", any pre-DPF diesel engine will smoke when you go wide-open under load like that.

No, it's a smoke tune. An electronically injected diesel that's tuned well doesn't smoke like that. The last mechanical diesel in a pickup was the Cummins 6BT in the Ram up to the start of the '98 models before the ISB came around for '98.5. GM switched when the 6.5 came out in '92 and Ford switched when "Power Stroke" branding came around in '94.5.

DPFs cut down on the remaining bit of sootiness, but anyone throwing a thick cloud from an electronic engine is either broken or doing it intentionally.

The old mechanical diesels aren't nearly as adjustable sort of like a carb vs. EFI, so they can end up being pretty sooty when tuned for power.

edit:

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I enjoyed All Cars Go To Heaven too. They gave up too early on that poor Cherokee though. I bet they could have swapped in a new axle from one in a junkyard and been on their way.

Agreed, but after listening to a lot of their podcasts it seems that while they all know a lot about cars and know how to drive fast cars fast none of the main TST crew really seem to work on their own vehicles very much if at all. They'd probably be more useful than Clarkson, but only if they really had to.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 11, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Boo, FinalGear got a takedown notice from the BBC

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/20/final-gear-top-gear-dmcs-takedown/

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

You could at least mention that the only thing they took down were :filez: links. It's not like the entire site is gone.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

To be honest, I was expecting that site to be nuked well and truly before now.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You could at least mention that the only thing they took down were :filez: links. It's not like the entire site is gone.

I could at least! How dare I!

Or if you knew how the DMCA worked, you could make an educated guess that only the illegal stuff was taken down, or take two seconds to read the link instead of asking me to read the news to you

blk fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 21, 2014

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

blk posted:

I could at least! How dare I!

Or if you knew how the DMCA worked, you could make an educated guess that only the illegal stuff was taken down, or take two seconds to read the link instead of asking me to read the news to you
I guess it's my bad for not knowing Final Gear even linked to torrents.

And don't abuse spoiler tags.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So apparently there's a Top Gear South Korea. Has anyone seen how it compares to the US or UK (or god forbid, the Australian) version?

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Xelkelvos posted:

So apparently there's a Top Gear South Korea. Has anyone seen how it compares to the US or UK (or god forbid, the Australian) version?

Never seen it but I did see when they crashed a AH1 Cobra helicopter during a race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsoWpTO2qg

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Did anybody see Monty Python Live (mostly)? The Top Gear UK guys were potential victims in the "Blackmail" game show sketch.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

tobu posted:

Never seen it but I did see when they crashed a AH1 Cobra helicopter during a race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EsoWpTO2qg

I gotta say I love pretty much everything topgear does but whenever they bust out the "racing a helicopter" schtick it rubs me the wrong way for whatever reason.

So I kinda cheered a little bit when that cobra hit the dirt.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I have no idea where to watch TOPGEAR now and it makes me feel old. Its like when I realized I only know like two people that can find me some weed.Being an adult sucks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Preoptopus posted:

I have no idea where to watch TOPGEAR now and it makes me feel old. Its like when I realized I only know like two people that can find me some weed.Being an adult sucks.

Netflix has most of them. In canada at least.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Powershift posted:

Netflix has most of them. In canada at least.

But it has the B music tracks on it. A lot of what I like about top gear is their use of proper music that only the BBC can do.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Alighieri posted:

But it has the B music tracks on it. A lot of what I like about top gear is their use of proper music that only the BBC can do.

To tell you exactly where to watch top gear UK online free would be :filez: but have you perhaps tried googling?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Have they said anything about that P1 vs 918 episode recently? They said June/July in the last series and we're in August.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pik_d posted:

Have they said anything about that P1 vs 918 episode recently? They said June/July in the last series and we're in August.

They're waiting until the Ferrari laferrari is available at the same time as the other 2 cars. They've just started giving journo test-drives of the laferrari.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Powershift posted:

They're waiting until the Ferrari laferrari is available at the same time as the other 2 cars. They've just started giving journo test-drives of the laferrari.

One of the things that came up when I googled "Top Gear P1 918" was that Ferrari don't give Top Gear cars because Ferrari like to tune their cars for the track that it's going to be tested on and Top Gear consider that cheating.

The FXX was Schumacher's personal car, and supposedly the 458 was someone else's personal car, which is why Top Gear were able to drive those.

That said, getting all three makes a lot more sense considering they're all hybrid hyper-cars, and hopefully someone rich enough to own one will let them drive it. Unless, of course, what I read is a load of poo poo.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This was a press car, from last season, so they've obviously worked out their issues. It had the plate "F12 FNE"

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Powershift posted:

This was a press car, from last season, so they've obviously worked out their issues. It had the plate "F12 FNE"

I don't think a car that didn't do a timed lap disproves what I said though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The FF from the previous series didn't do a lap time and was a private car. The 599 GTO from series 16 is a press car, and they did a lap with it.

So unless you can show me something other than "some dude on the internet said", i'm calling bullshit.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Powershift posted:

The FF from the previous series didn't do a lap time and was a private car. The 599 GTO from series 16 is a press car, and they did a lap with it.

So unless you can show me something other than "some dude on the internet said", i'm calling bullshit.

OK: http://jalopnik.com/5760248/how-ferrari-spins

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That mentions nothing of top gear.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Powershift posted:

That mentions nothing of top gear.

No, but it does show that Ferrari operate how "some dude on the internet said" they do.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

pik_d posted:

No, but it does show that Ferrari operate how "some dude on the internet said" they do.

Every manufactuer does that.

quote:

One of the things that came up when I googled "Top Gear P1 918" was that Ferrari don't give Top Gear cars because Ferrari like to tune their cars for the track that it's going to be tested on and Top Gear consider that cheating.

You said this, i provided evidence to the contrary, you provided evidence of something only tangentially related.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Which part are you refuting? That Ferrari tunes their cars for specific tracks? Or that Top Gear frowns upon this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The suggestion that the laferrari-p1-918 comparo won't happen because ferrari doesn't lend top gear cars.