Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Best part is The Joker telling Luke "I'm your daddy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Calax posted:

Best part is The Joker telling Luke "I'm your daddy!"

That's not true! That's impossible!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Really liking The Secret History of Star Wars, it can get a bit tedious when the author starts comparing different scripts but even that can be pretty fascinating. In adition to doing Lucas' voice, the narrator also does Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, and Mark Hamill.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Really liking The Secret History of Star Wars, it can get a bit tedious when the author starts comparing different scripts but even that can be pretty fascinating. In adition to doing Lucas' voice, the narrator also does Martin Scorsese, Francis Ford Coppola, and Mark Hamill.

Please tell me he did a script for Star Wars.

"As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a Jedi..."

Edit: I just found out that Revan in SWTOR was voiced by the guy who did Kyle Katarn in the old Jedi Knight games.That's...surprisingly appropriate.

Canemacar fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 17, 2014

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I binged through The Clone Wars cartoon on Netflix and I have to say I was deeply impressed by the end of Season 5 (still have to make it through The Lost Missions).

I should also note I didn't start with the movie which is probably a mistake but I don't think it hurt much.

It definitely starts out rough and you can tell the creators weren't sure how far they could stray from "kids show". But by the season 2, the mini-arc, multi-episode format really allows the show to breathe.

Some major pros:
-They absolutely nailed Obi-wan's voice and dialogue.
-While literally anyone could be a better Anakin than Hayden, the voice actor for Anakin is pretty good at going between seething rage and compassion.
-I think all the episodes revolving around the clones themselves are great.
-The gradual evolution the show takes to Episode II style tech/sets to Episode III/OT sets. Seeing the gradual proliferation of red/blue/white on grey tech made me unreasonably happy.
-Ahsoka Tano may be the most fully realized Jedi character in the EU.
-Pretty much the entire 5th season. Also, someone here said it previously but this was a seriously dark season for a "kids show". And the final arc was emotionally gripping despite calling the mystery well in advance.

Some mis-steps:
-Anything involving Jar Jar. Or little kids. Or exclusively droids (the only major mis-step of the 5th season).
-Grevious. I had hope based on an early season 1 or 2 episode that takes place in his personal lair would help flesh out his character a bit more but nope. He's just a mustache-twirling villain whose always got an extra doodad/ability/power to get himself out of trouble.

As a long lapsed Star Wars fan, I'd really recommend it to anyone who enjoys any amount of Star Wars. Now I've just got to finish The Lost Missions.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Thwomp posted:

I should also note I didn't start with the movie which is probably a mistake but I don't think it hurt much.

This was not a mistake, and I wish I had done the same.

The Lost Missions are a mixed bag. I'm not really a fan of them, but I can see someone liking them. They tend to focus more on Big Picture Star Wars stuff, like (minor plot description spoilers) Order 66 and later the nature of the Force that aren't really reasons I watched the show, with a little more Jar Jar thrown in. I agree that season 5 is the high point for me.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oh and how could I forget:

They managed to bring Maul back and not make it retarded. I could totally see it being really, really dumb (and in some ways, it did hand-wave, literally, away a lot to return him to his Episode I prime). However, he was appropriately vicious, ruthless, and his climactic battle at the end of his arc was superb.

YOU'RE A RIVAL!

I also enjoyed that every character's reactions to him was pretty much what any sane person would have: It's not possible but if it is him, I cut him in half and he still survived so what are we going to do now?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zahn did a Reddit AMA. Reddit is an unituitive shitshow with an awful community but he's got some interesting things to say.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Zahn did a Reddit AMA. Reddit is an unituitive shitshow with an awful community but he's got some interesting things to say.

I remember seeing him at a convention right after ROTS came out, and he was very open with how much he disliked the prequels and the NJO, which I thought was surprising that he wasn't worried about some kind of Lucasfilm reprisal. Allston and Stackpole were there and I don't think they said anything critical of the franchise.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

My vision of Star Wars is good vs evil, with the heroes struggling to win, and the major characters making it through. (Otherwise, either Lando or Wedge would have died inside the second Death Star.)
For the record, this isn't just because Mara was my creation. I'd have argued against killing Chewbacca for the same reason.

No Timothy, this whole dark hero/blurred lines thing is all the rage. Teenagers love it because it makes them feel deep

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Timothy Zahn owns and his annotations for Heir to the Empire were the best and were probably the real reason they didn't do the other two books.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

api call girl posted:

Timothy Zahn owns and his annotations for Heir to the Empire were the best and were probably the real reason they didn't do the other two books.

I'm really sad we will never see annotated versions of the other 2.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I'm glad that the sequel movies are being made, but I'm sad that this panel is no longer canon:

(Context - though I don't think you need it to enjoy this panel.)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

astr0man posted:

I'm really sad we will never see annotated versions of the other 2.

I wonder if anybody's ever tried selling him on putting together a set of annotations together you can read off a website or ebook like Brandon Sanderson does for his own books.

api call girl posted:

Reading the anniversary Heir to the Empire right now:

Timothy Zahn posted:

Because I was going to have to write Star Wars. Not something science-fictiony or space-operatic with the name Star Wars on it. I was going to have to write Star Wars. I would have to somehow capture the scope and feel of the universe; the faces and voices of the main characters; the ebb and flow and rhythm of the movies. The readers had to hear Mark Hamill's and Carrie Fisher's and Harrison Ford's voices inside my quotation marks. The people flipping through those pages needed to be able to hear John Williams's music in the backs of their minds.

If I couldn't do that, or at least get close, it wouldn't be Star Wars. It would be An Adventure of Two Guys Named Han and Luke. And that would be a waste of everyone's time.
Wrap it the gently caress up, Lucasfailures Licensing.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 10, 2014

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Regarding Heir to the Empire, I read somewhere that Zahn's original plan was the crazy jedi clone that Thrawn allied with (can't remember his name atm) was in fact a clone of Obi-wan, and that Lucas nixxed the idea. Is there any truth to this?

The reason I'm asking is that 'crazy Obi-wan clone' is the one villain idea that could resonate with audiences without looking too much like trying to re-create Vader's lightning-in-a-bottle, and has the benefit of letting the sequels bring back Ewan McGreggor.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Regarding Heir to the Empire, I read somewhere that Zahn's original plan was the crazy jedi clone that Thrawn allied with (can't remember his name atm) was in fact a clone of Obi-wan, and that Lucas nixxed the idea. Is there any truth to this?

That comes straight from Zahn's notes (you can see it in the 20-year anniversary edition), so presumably it is true.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Say hello to the new Z-95 X-wing :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWBGrkc360M

@starwars posted:

@CDCanimation It is in fact an Episode VII X-wing, not a Z-95.

It has 2 engines and the s-foils don't even split into an X :wtc:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

astr0man posted:

To be fair, it's possible either A)the wings split just after the engines (though, yeah, it wouldn't really look like an X anymore, but B-Wings never really looked like a B anyway), or B)those engines are actually two semicircles that themselves split. There's a line through the middle, so it is possible.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah someone else on twitter mentioned that it is probably just based on the original McQuarrie x-wing concept art

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's still a Z-95 in my heart. :colbert:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
At least it won't be a X-Wing BUT BLACK.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
That video would've had a lot more impact if the ending weren't so dumb. Pardon me while I climb into this prop. Hey, who let this Star Wars robot onto the set of a Star Wars movie?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

astr0man posted:

You can see the split line on the wings and the 4 thrusters, plus there are 2 guns on the wingtip. Z95s have a 4 turbines just like x wings, swept single wings and 1 gun per wingtip. It is clearly not a z95. Come on son

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
There's a fun post at the Toast on the aesthetics of EU covers.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Megachile posted:

Thanks for posting this. It was great.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I always wondered: is the giant face on the cover of I, Jedi supposed to be Luke, or is it Mirax?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Zoran posted:

I always wondered: is the giant face on the cover of I, Jedi supposed to be Luke, or is it Mirax?

While he is looking a bit doe-eyed there, it's Luke.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Jazerus posted:

While he is looking a bit doe-eyed there, it's Luke.

Effeminate Luke is a mainstay of the Bantam era EU covers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Megachile posted:

Haha, my day ended pretty unpleasantly, but that's cheered me up a bit. :)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Carnaticum posted:

Effeminate Luke is a mainstay of the Bantam era EU covers.

Which appears to not be the direction the movies are going.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Hamil now looks quite grizzled enough to be a bitter rear end Jedi Master.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

He learned something from Jonathan Frakes it seems, this one will be good.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Which appears to not be the direction the movies are going.

Slovenian, Marxist Luke. Intriguing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Slovenian, Marxist Luke. Intriguing.

"The exemplary figures of evil today are not ordinary Imperials who pollute the environment and live in a violent galaxy of disintegrating social links, but those who, while fully engaged in creating conditions for such universal devastation and pollution, buy their way out of their own activity, participating in gated mofferences, eating organic food, taking holidays in whalodon preserves, and so on"

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

"The exemplary figures of evil today are not ordinary Imperials who pollute the environment and live in a violent galaxy of disintegrating social links, but those who, while fully engaged in creating conditions for such universal devastation and pollution, buy their way out of their own activity, participating in gated mofferences, eating organic food, taking holidays in whalodon preserves, and so on"

First as Tragedy, then as . . . The Force

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've just seen that there's a complete collection of all the Jedi Knight games on Steam in all their campy, cheesy mid-nineties glory and... I'm sorely tempted... :ohdear:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

I've just seen that there's a complete collection of all the Jedi Knight games on Steam in all their campy, cheesy mid-nineties glory and... I'm sorely tempted... :ohdear:

If you don't want to spend twenty bucks and are willing to wait, whenever there's a sale on Steam, the entire collection is usually just 5 bucks.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Say what you will but those FMV cut scenes in Jedi Knight were the first real lightsabers since Return of the Jedi. Way better than the prequels at that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Check it out: here's what Marvel's doing with the comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

So far that sounds really boring.