Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Hexen 2 has an Egypt themed hub if that helps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

laserghost posted:

And what about (I know we're leaving the "early" part of FPS history now) Turok: Evolution? Remember seeing it in the magazines (one even had the review of PC version, which was never commercially released where I live). Oh, and the horrible reboot, of which I got the boxed copy for free some months after the release, played exactly once and gave to my friend.

That TurokEX thing looks great, but will it be only for the console version? No chance for modern patch for the PC one? :(

It was my first PS2 game. I love the shotgun design, though I'm kind of annoyed they didn't have a Firestorm Cannon equivalent.

Chiming in to say that both Turok 1 and 2 on the PC are glitched out - music doesn't play right, and they eventually start to crash. Extremely lazy ports.

What's the best HD texture pack/modernizer for DooM 3? There's a bunch and I'm trying to find out which one is the latest.

edit: Whoever was asking about that TurokEX thing: PC only, and it's for the PC versions. http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/61419-programming-project-turokex/

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
So did anyone ever name their baby Turok

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Convex posted:

Hexen 2 has an Egypt themed hub if that helps?

It does, doesn't it? An interesting looking one too, if memory serves me.

JackMackerel posted:

What's the best HD texture pack/modernizer for DooM 3? There's a bunch and I'm trying to find out which one is the latest.

I think that this package is generally considered the best. Here's just the texture pack without the shaders.

catlord fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 3, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

JackMackerel posted:

Doom 3 BFG edition? I'm not sure how the improvements in mods compare. I don't think Doom 3 mods are compatible, so its kinda all or nothing, so you may be better off with sikkmod or whatever, but BFG does look a good bit better.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Doom 3 BFG edition? I'm not sure how the improvements in mods compare. I don't think Doom 3 mods are compatible, so its kinda all or nothing, so you may be better off with sikkmod or whatever, but BFG does look a good bit better.

Doom 3 BFG also gives you a shoulder flashlight that you can switch on and off and the expansion plus the The Lost Mission. You can go further in improving vanilla Doom 3 thanks to the huge selection of mods and even improve the gameplay but if you want to just install and play, BFG has you covered.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JackMackerel posted:

edit: Whoever was asking about that TurokEX thing: PC only, and it's for the PC versions. http://www.doomworld.com/vb/everything-else/61419-programming-project-turokex/

I'm perfectly okay with a source port, but this guy has a lot to do to make the sound effects not-terrible.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

And while we're talking about the "HD mods" for id games - some days ago new version of Quake Epsilon build was released, with some tweaks like finally killing the lengthy load times and adding support for the third mission pack, the unreleased Abyss of Pandemonium.

Which brings me to question, have anyone here uses it? And possibly can answer, why most of the "HD" stuff doesn't even load on my PC, leaving me with gray weapon models, gibs and original world textures?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

laserghost posted:

And while we're talking about the "HD mods" for id games - some days ago new version of Quake Epsilon build was released, with some tweaks like finally killing the lengthy load times and adding support for the third mission pack, the unreleased Abyss of Pandemonium.

Which brings me to question, have anyone here uses it? And possibly can answer, why most of the "HD" stuff doesn't even load on my PC, leaving me with gray weapon models, gibs and original world textures?

Try using a newer/daily build of darkplaces? When I was trying to get everything as nice looking as possible for Quake Done Quickest (and prettiest), I had to try a few different versions before all the features worked.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

laserghost posted:

the third mission pack, the unreleased Abyss of Pandemonium.

Never heard of this, was it supposed to be an official expansion?

Also, what with everything going on at Crytek UK (formerly Free Radical) this week I've got the urge to play through the Timesplitters games again. Would they count as early enough for this thread?

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Since Red Faction 1-2 were thoroughly discussed I'd guess the PS2/GC/Xbox era of FPS games fall into this thread.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Well, earlier, I think it was The Kins, said that Unreal 2 marked the end of the Early FPS era, and that was 2003. I would say that barring games that actively tried to be somewhat different for whatever reason, that it would go into that era.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Convex posted:

Never heard of this, was it supposed to be an official expansion?

Kinda. It was supposed to be the third mission pack, after Ritual/Hipnotic ones, but somehow the publishing deal with id didn't fell through (similar situation happened with Perdition's Gate, which was made as a third Final Doom levelset), and it was released in same way as Shrak, Malice and others - commercially released by some small budget publishing house, specializing in add on cds. I remember the reviews from press, but never seen on store shelves, and even GIS doesn't show much more than this:

It's good, tho, definitely worth playing, and you can find it easily as it's freeware now.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Rise of the Triad Remake 1.4 says it's bringing the "DOOMSTICK" which I guess is a shotgun + gernade launcher combo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HlDdqzhwl0

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Rise of the Triad Remake 1.4 says it's bringing the "DOOMSTICK" which I guess is a shotgun + gernade launcher combo?

That update has been out for months now.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

Just a touch late.

Is Serious Sam HD harder than Classic? Playing Revolution, I managed to get past where I was in like, half the time.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

haveblue posted:

So did anyone ever name their baby Turok

Don't think so, nobody's ever found a Turok.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
There's a city in Southern California inspired by Turok. Turlock.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

catlord posted:

Just a touch late.

Is Serious Sam HD harder than Classic? Playing Revolution, I managed to get past where I was in like, half the time.

It's not supposed to be harder, it was intended to just be graphics tweaks.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Don't think so, nobody's ever found a Turok.

I would totally change my name to Turok if whoever owns the IP paid me money for it. :colbert:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I decided to play Daikatana in co-op mode with one player (to get rid of the sidekicks and cutscenes), unlimited saves, and the long loading screen fixed. It's...surprisingly good. Don't get me wrong; Episode 1 is still pure rear end and a collection of what you should never do when making levels, but at least it isn't unbearable since you don't have to deal with Superfly.

Where the game starts to shine is in Episode 2. The maps flow well, the weapons are fun to use since you don't have to worry about getting a game over, the graphics look pretty good even today, and you can take the levels at your own pace instead of having to babysit Mikiko and watch pointless cutscenes at the start and end of a mission. Cutting the partners makes E2M4 and E2M5 a lot more fun, since you don't have to worry about your idiot partner preventing you from blazing through an entire level like you want to. By the time I was halfway through E2M3, I was a discus and venom-bomb spewing god that destroyed everything I saw with little difficulty. Once I got the Eye of Zeus, nothing stood a chance against me.

Episode 3 is really nice as well. The weapons are fun and work well (though I feel you hold too little ammo for most of them), while the level design is straightforward and surprisingly clever at times. I felt it was a bit too short near the end, but otherwise it's just as good as Episode 2. The graphics are pretty nice as well, even though there isn't a lot of color in the maps.

I consider Episodes 2 and 3 what Hexen should've been; fun romps through ancient worlds without having to deal with bullshit fetch quests and switch-hunts everywhere and a decent-sized arsenal without a dumb ammo system. Episode 2 blows Hexen 2's Ancient Grome hub out of the water, while Episode 3 is like a mix of Hexen 1 and 2's first worlds without the obnoxious item and switch hunts. It's too bad Episode 1 gives such a horrible first impression of the game, because E2 and E3 are worth a playthrough. TBH, it feels like Episode 1 evolved into a quarantine for Stevie Case and Romero to gently caress up the basics of map-making to their heart's content, while the rest of the map makers could make good levels in peace.

I'm not too sure about Episode 4 yet, but removing the partners should make it go from "poo poo" to "tolerable".

It's pretty funny how overpowered you get if you never use the Daikatana. By the middle of Episode 2, I was utterly destroying everything the game threw at me with my high Power and Attack. By the start of Episode 3, the Silverclaw just destroyed hordes of zombies like they were nothing, while the Ballista gibbed groups of small enemies or a large one with no problem. I'm at the start of Episode 4 right now, and my maxed out Power stat makes the Glock a mini-Railgun that two-shots the prisoner enemies in a second. I have three points in Vitality and keep finding good armor, so literally nothing can kill me unless I let enemies kill me on purpose.

Overall, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I did with the sidekicks.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Bought Daikatana during the summer sale, and wouldn't mind playing solo co-op to turn the teammates off. But is there any way to do this and still keep the cutscenes? I like them for how bad they are...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Daikatana's ending is vastly improved without cutscenes.

Instead of taking you through the credits, the game dumps you in the first room of the credits cutscene which is a shrine featuring a giant digitized portrait of John Romero.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Daikatana's ending is vastly improved without cutscenes.

Instead of taking you through the credits, the game dumps you in the first room of the credits cutscene which is a shrine featuring a giant digitized portrait of John Romero.

You can also punch the poo poo out of it. Unfortunately, you can't attack Stevie Case's image because it's too far high up. I did manage to find a Sidewinder and shoot the picture of the QA guys with it, so it worked out in the end.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I finished Daiaktana, and the game takes a quality nosedive after you start Episode 4. The levels get ugly to the point where it actually makes it hard to navigate a map, the actual map design turns into the same time-wasting bullshit seen in E1, and the enemies become obnoxious hitscan and rocket spammers when you reach Mishima Labs. E4's end is probably one of the worst ways to end a game I've seen in quite a while; you have to go through several lovely jumping puzzles in order to reach Mishima. There's no tension, no buildup; just stupid jumping puzzles.

Really, I think Episode 4 feels horribly unfinished. The Navy Seal enemies are extremely clunky, as they do things like run towards you while staying in their fire animation, making it loo like they're sliding across the ground and somehow have the ability to fire while moving, even though they don't have an animation for it. Mishima Labs is an awful slog of a map that makes do you the same poo poo over and over in a blatant attempt to lengthen playtime. The whole thing feels like chunks of old maps that hadn't been touched for over a year being glued together because the devs had to reach a deadline. Mishima's hideout has good to ok design, but forcing players to go a switch hunt without ever giving them a vague hint that is what they should be doing is extremely dumb. Tower of Crime would've been good if it weren't for the bad and rushed-looking texturing job that makes every single level of the map use the same wall texture, making it easy to get lost. The final mission is a really bad way to end the game and feels like it was added simply to make sure there was a proper final mission, no matter how bad it was, instead of teleporting you straight to the final boss.

I think the best way to play Daikatana is to play in single player co-op mode, start in Episode 2, then quit the game after beating Episode 3. Doing that makes it a fun and surprisingly good Hexen 2.5 without the bullshit fetch quests instead of a mediocre to awful scifi game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Is there an alternate download for the QLZ launcher? Mine just... disappeared, and the link in the OP isn't working for me.

Edit: vv

Thanks. I don't know what happened, I clicked it and it disappeared. My anti-virus acting up, maybe?

catlord fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 7, 2014

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
A temporary link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11690738/temp/Doom/Launcher.exe

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I just checked it and it works for me. Not sure what to tell you. For a minute I thought there might be a problem with my bitbucket account or something, that would suck.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Are there any mods for the first Unreal that make them more...punchy, I suppose? Or even change them completely? I absolutely adore that game and play it at least once a year but man, those weapons aren't all that fun to use.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If you're playing in Oldskool Amp'd you can use any UT weapon replacement mutator. If you do that I'd suggest cheating in a dispersion pistol to make it through the first map or two.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Speaking of which, is there any way to use custom weapon mutators in the Unreal 1 port to UT2004? The modder claims you can, but nothing custom spawns.

JackMackerel fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 8, 2014

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
I just downloaded ZDaemon because it's apparently still updated and I wanted to discover new Doom WADs. I understand Doomseeker supports better Doom ports and stuff like that, but drat. 683 servers, and 22 players right now. Are there really just that many servers people set up back in the day and completely forgot about before ZDaemon users dipped to almost nothing?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tobaccrow posted:

I just downloaded ZDaemon because it's apparently still updated and I wanted to discover new Doom WADs. I understand Doomseeker supports better Doom ports and stuff like that, but drat. 683 servers, and 22 players right now. Are there really just that many servers people set up back in the day and completely forgot about before ZDaemon users dipped to almost nothing?

A lot of them are set up for specific purposes, so if you come on at 4 am on a Saturday or whatever suddenly there'll be 10 active with a a few hundred players total because its for a community of players in Bulgaria or something.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

All I have heard about ZDaemon was how godawful the community was and the fact that one of the admins would basically go on massive ban sprees.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Okay so I decided to actually play more than 5 minutes of Turok Evolution and...it's not terrible. Don't get me wrong, it's not all that great either, but shootin' up doofy lizard dino aliens feels good, the weapons are fun (though not nearly as interesting as the other games). Unfortunately, it's got these really long, completely godawful pterodactyl Star Fox ripoff flying sections that last for 1000 years and are zero fun. Also, the damage calculations seem off. A tiny raptor baby will bite my ankles and take 15 health, but a monster will shoot me point blank and take 2. Weird.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

My Turok copy came some days ago, and I've finally installed it.

It's the german version, so it's censored. Now Turok fights robots instead of weird tribal dudes and mercenaries. I'm not sure if it makes game better or worse.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

laserghost posted:

My Turok copy came some days ago, and I've finally installed it.

It's the german version, so it's censored. Now Turok fights robots instead of weird tribal dudes and mercenaries. I'm not sure if it makes game better or worse.

It makes an already-awful port of a great game worse.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Do people just not play the original quake online at all? Using nquake I only see 3 servers, qtracker shows about the same.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Eh, they do still a bit. But it's a really small player pool.

I'm not sure what server list qtracker shows these days. Personally I only play Quake with local folks, or whenever Shacknews gets a brief burst of Quake enthusiasm.

Firing up nQuake/ezQuake for a quick check right now I do see 5 dudes on the xs4all server.

There's also some folks still playing NetQuake (non-QuakeWorld). ProQuake has a built-in browser for some of those servers; there's also a list at http://quakeone.com/ ... also http://www.quakeservers.net/ lists both NetQuake and QuakeWorld servers.

I think the people who really want to be able to get a game together use IRC channels to gather pickups and whatnot.

===============================

The thing I actually came here to post:

The OP might want to add MiniQL to the Quake stuff. http://runtimelegend.com/rep/miniql/index

Quake Injector (already in the OP) is a very cool Quake launcher, but it's primarily about downloading and launching SP maps. MiniQL on the other hand doesn't have the autodownloading SP catalog, but it does provide a more general front end for launching Quake engines with your choice of mod and options. (And the latest version of MiniQL has the ability to act as a wrapper for Quake Injector in some way, although I haven't taken a look at that yet to see what's up.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
#quakeworld on Quakenet is where you go if you want to consistently get the poo poo kicked out of you by Europeans on ezquake. There's a ton of 4on4 and 2on2 TDM pickups there around the clock. Outside of Europe, the game's pretty much dead aside from a few FFA and TF servers.