Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

"She’s leaving it all behind her. We really wanted to make this a book with a light tone, of fun and adventure and mystery, and let the rest of the Bat-family deal with the darkness"
So, she's Daredevil?

I have mixed feelings since I feel like you could have done a good book with that tone with Steph as Batgirl and Babs still as Oracle. But I'll give it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I wonder whether or not Simone's departure was voluntary. She hasn't tweeted anything about the end of her run being planned or in praise of the new creative team, and it may just be me, but this has kind of a defensive vibe to it.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is really interesting how the most recent titles (or in Batgirl's case, changes) added to the Batman line feel more like elseworlds or limited series than actual ongoings. I would be down for DC doing this with the other lines (and c'mon DC, if loving Klarion gets an on going give a solo to Jason)

EDIT: More Selfie Variants:

B&R

Batman

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 10, 2014

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

This costume design is waaaayy better than the original New 52 costume. The armored look just doesn't work for the character (the Injustice design is even worse for this)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Batgirl herself looks like Steph (ie younger/high schooler) than what has been established for Barbara. I wonder if this was initially a pitch for Steph/Batgirl and DC said sure, but you can't use Steph for Batgirl. With Steph appearing in Batman: Eternal it seems strange that the new design isn't for her even though it looks perfectly suited for her.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm intrigued by this Batgirl news. I did really like the Stephanie Brown run, and it does sound like it's aiming for the same tone. I hope it lasts, and is good.

Edit: I do like the costume. Hope Steph shows up too, but I'll not put any money on that happening.

catlord fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 10, 2014

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

catlord posted:

I'm intrigued by this Batgirl news. I did really like the Stephanie Brown run, and it does sound like it's aiming for the same tone. I hope it lasts, and is good.

Edit: I do like the costume. Hope Steph shows up too, but I'll not put any money on that happening.

All of the things you said I say too.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Barry Convex posted:

I wonder whether or not Simone's departure was voluntary. She hasn't tweeted anything about the end of her run being planned or in praise of the new creative team, and it may just be me, but this has kind of a defensive vibe to it.
Rumors are she's going to be penning a DC book that hasn't been announced yet. People are speculating a Birds of Prey relaunch might be in the works, so that could be connected to this.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Probably Magic posted:

Between Batgirl and some of the ideas being batted around for Catwoman, it almost seems like the New 52 is finding its feet.

:lol: If you think it will last you are giving the nu52 a lot more rope than most people.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I cannot wait to own all four issues before Simone comes back to restore her headcanon.

This seems much more likely.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

This fuckin' rules. Bat side is straight killing it.

I'm gonna post the images since nobody else has.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
That snap-on cape is loving brilliant and you won't get shot to death if it gets caught in a revolving door! Seriously though, all around that costume is easily one of the best I've ever seen on a female character.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Maybe I'm not getting it...is this a reboot of the character already? It says she's still supposed to be Barbara Gordon, but it looks like they're making her a ditsy high school student now.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It's a character having fun. I know that's a new and scary thing in the New 52.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Tracula posted:

That snap-on cape is loving brilliant and you won't get shot to death if it gets caught in a revolving door! Seriously though, all around that costume is easily one of the best I've ever seen on a female character.

It's one of the best designs I've seen on a character period. The snap cape is one of the most brilliant things anyone's ever come up with for a character, male or female.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Maybe I'm not getting it...is this a reboot of the character already? It says she's still supposed to be Barbara Gordon, but it looks like they're making her a ditsy high school student now.

She's going to graduate school. Just drawn young, I'm guessing. If she's not acting appropriate to her last depiction, I could give a gently caress. I wasn't reading that comic.

I think when new creative teams hop on titles, they should feel drastically different. That's why the new Teen Titans with it's new #1 and all looks like a huge missed opportunity to me.

Green Arrow got a similar relaunch under Jeff Lemire where everything in his life, built up under the previous issues was literally blown up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 10, 2014

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm love the "leather jacket NOT spandex" line with the busty chest. This is a move in the right direction.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm wondering how Batman Eternal will be affected by this, given Barbara's role in it. Though I'm assuming that the effects of Eternal will only hit the batbooks after it ends.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I really wish this design and care went into all the New 52 Redesigns. It would have been better if DC had just assembled a team of artists to work on each character and give them a costume that was special and unique to them instead of have Jim Lee give armor and collars to everyone.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What exactly makes her seem ditzy?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

lotus circle posted:

I'm wondering how Batman Eternal will be affected by this, given Barbara's role in it. Though I'm assuming that the effects of Eternal will only hit the batbooks after it ends.

Was Eternal a year long series? It should be going well into the new runs.
Catwoman was the crime boss she appears to be in her new series when 'Batman' did that six month jump forward issue. I'm guessing Barbara will be shunted out of the story since the interviews suggest there is going to be very little of her old life and contacts in there.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 10, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Timeless Appeal posted:

I really wish this design and care went into all the New 52 Redesigns. It would have been better if DC had just assembled a team of artists to work on each character and give them a costume that was special and unique to them instead of have Jim Lee give armor and collars to everyone.

I like the armored look and while Batgirl's design is nice I can't shake the impression of being cosplay. Guess, I'll have to see.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Tracula posted:

Except the capes in batbooks have long been hand waved into gliding devices to explain their existence and it's really stupid to have a glider snap on.

A snap on cape is stupid in general, it's acknowledging the cape is useless and dangerous to wear but keeping it anyway just because heroes have capes.

The cover already has midriff peaking out so I give it one crossover until we are in Huntress ab-window territory

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Tracula posted:

That is the exact first thing I thought of. Form, and function!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

SirDan3k posted:

Except the capes in batbooks have long been hand waved into gliding devices to explain their existence and it's really stupid to have a glider snap on.

A snap on cape is stupid in general, it's acknowledging the cape is useless and dangerous to wear but keeping it anyway just because heroes have capes.

That's a really good point, a snap on cape would've lost on any fight so why bother with it?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
From the MTV interview:

Barbara is forced to make a new costume for herself when her old one becomes unavailable. The new one is something she’s able to make herself, shopping at the various boutique and vintage stores in Burnside. It also reflects her youth and style.

gently caress the haters. Costume looks good and practical.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Madkal posted:

From the MTV interview:

Barbara is forced to make a new costume for herself when her old one becomes unavailable. The new one is something she’s able to make herself, shopping at the various boutique and vintage stores in Burnside. It also reflects her youth and style.

gently caress the haters. Costume looks good and practical.

If we're going for real world standards I wouldn't call it practical, the snap on cape isn't necessary and a leather jacket isn't optimal for fighting either. I mean despite how much I like Jason's Red Hood gear even I have to admit he would have a heatstroke wearing that on the tropic and by using a leather jacket every day I can say isn't something I would like to use on a fight.

They still look cool as hell though.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
On the one hand: I like that they're intentionally getting away from boob socks with the leather jacket get-up.

On the other hand, a store bought leather jacket isn't going to stop Killer Croc's teeth, much less a bullet.

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Chaltab posted:

On the one hand: I like that they're intentionally getting away from boob socks with the leather jacket get-up.

On the other hand, a store bought leather jacket isn't going to stop Killer Croc's teeth, much less a bullet.

If book socks can be bullet proof, so can a leather jacket.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The big problem I have with that design is that the lines on the belt are way at odds with the lines of her jacket. It stands out a lot more in the third picture than it does in the initial debut picture.

Edit: Also there is no way this character isn't supposed to be a teenager, which isn't really a problem at all, but it's totally a soft-reboot.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 11, 2014

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

ImpAtom posted:

The big problem I have with that design is that the lines on the belt are way at odds with the lines of her jacket. It stands out a lot more in the third picture than it does in the initial debut picture.

Edit: Also there is no way this character isn't supposed to be a teenager, which isn't really a problem at all, but it's totally a soft-reboot.
She's not being explicitly deaged (again, I mean), they're having her attending grad school where she was previously just in college. The art really does make her look young though. It feels like they wanted to do a Stephanie book but couldn't what with her dodging her father's repeated attempts on her life.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That's a drat good costume. That goes right up there with Damian's Robin costume to me.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

If we're going for real world standards I wouldn't call it practical, the snap on cape isn't necessary and a leather jacket isn't optimal for fighting either. I mean despite how much I like Jason's Red Hood gear even I have to admit he would have a heatstroke wearing that on the tropic and by using a leather jacket every day I can say isn't something I would like to use on a fight.

They still look cool as hell though.

Sorry DT, you don't have any ground to stand on talking about practical costumes. You know what is really unoptimal for fighting? Being naked *cough*Starfire*cough*

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In a world where spandex with built in breast pockets not only exists but is the industry standard there is no drat room to complain about impracticality of leather jackets what the actual gently caress.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

My problem is a snap on cape is a "this fridge is lined with lead" label on a costume. Capes are dumb we know they are dumb but we suspend disbelief because capes are part of the genre, trying to fix their problems just reminds people of something they have trained themselves to ignore.

It's the same principal that you don't explain why the badguys can't hit the hero with automatic weapons, the audience knows and accepts why.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

In a world where spandex with built in breast pockets not only exists but is the industry standard there is no drat room to complain about impracticality of leather jackets what the actual gently caress.

I thought the industry standard was to handwave costumes with 'magical' fabrics (unstable molecules/magic for Marvel, high tech/alien Armor for DC)?

Still I get is a silly complaint and that was exactly my point, Batgirl's redesign is pretty cool looking but hardly something that can be called practical. Practical would be something like Agent Venom's or Dick's Spiral gear (maybe Jason's Red Hood gear if he ditches the jacket).

Senor Candle posted:

Sorry DT, you don't have any ground to stand on talking about practical costumes. You know what is really unoptimal for fighting? Being naked *cough*Starfire*cough*

I've been working out for moths now and in my experience, for any physically demanding activity having form fitting clothes or smaller clothing is better (think olympic athletes gear). The obvious downside is the lack of protection but that shouldn't be a big concern for someone as powerful like Kory or even Superman (since there isn't a real reason for him to use an armor)

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

My problem is a snap on cape is a "this fridge is lined with lead" label on a costume. Capes are dumb we know they are dumb but we suspend disbelief because capes are part of the genre, trying to fix their problems just reminds people of something they have trained themselves to ignore.

It's the same principal that you don't explain why the badguys can't hit the hero with automatic weapons, the audience knows and accepts why.
Honestly the snap on cape just works with the leather jacket and I think you're over thinking it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Timeless Appeal posted:

Honestly the snap on cape just works with the leather jacket and I think you're over thinking it.

Well I know I'm over thinking it but that just the price I have to pay for always being right.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I have some bad news, dude.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

I'm fairly positive that it was voluntary, because if it wasn't, she would've already ordered her cult of Twitter followers to harass DC by now.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

MTV said she was getting another DC book.

e: Her twitter in recent hours has been hyping the new book.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

TwoPair posted:

I'm fairly positive that it was voluntary, because if it wasn't, she would've already ordered her cult of Twitter followers to harass DC by now.

Never mind, she says her departure was her choice. Carry on.

• Locked thread