Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I bought my first stick the other day! No clue what I'm doing with it yet but it's one step closer to playing on the ice for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Step 1: Don't do this:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Find a hard smooth floor and stickhandle a golf ball while staring at the wall.

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.

xzzy posted:

Find a hard smooth floor and stickhandle a golf ball while staring at the wall.

I've been working my way through the Bond films so I just stare at the TV while doing this. When you say stick handle what sort of movements am I looking for? Just back and forth and try and control it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, just move it around your body without losing control. Youtube stick handling drills if you want some tricks to work on.

It's something I wish I did a heck of a lot more of, I'd be at least five percent less crappy.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bgreman posted:

I've got some strangeness going on with my ribs/intercostals/lower-back muscles recently. I think it comes from falling over the boards a few weeks ago while trying to jump on to the ice. Few things are more embarrassing than hurting yourself during a line change.
Havlat? Is that you?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

xryokus posted:

I've been working my way through the Bond films so I just stare at the TV while doing this. When you say stick handle what sort of movements am I looking for? Just back and forth and try and control it?

Start just moving it back and forth in front of you. If your feet are shoulder width apart and your knees are bent you should be stickhandling back and forth about the same width as your feet.

To mix it up start going out wide, so go back and forth a few times the normal way, then push the ball as far to your left as you can, bring it back to the center and stickhandle some more. Then push it as far to the right as you can, bring it back and stickhandle. When you go wide let your bottom hand slide up the stick and then bring it back down as you come back to the middle.

Just do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REAqCB9vfbU

Just kidding, this is a decent demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd9qvEBt620

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Don't listen to these tryhards. Practice your post-game beer drinking while watching movies.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Don't listen to these tryhards. Practice your post-game beer drinking while watching movies.

this, but if you need a breakdown,

Chemmy posted:

Start just moving it back and forth in front of you.
shots may be an easy option, but don't fear multiple beers. a case is optimal for an easy locker room. be sure to do your part

Chemmy posted:

If your feet are shoulder width apart and your knees are bent you should be stickhandling back and forth about the same width as your feet.

bathroom stance is essential as well, since you have to do something between periods I guess. but don't forget essential fluid transportation methods

Chemmy posted:

To mix it up start going out wide, so go back and forth a few times the normal way, yadda yadda yadda
have a good time and learn from your teammates. have you skates and mind sharp and have a ton of fun. its easy to learn as you go especially if you can stay upright. :)

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Learn to say important things like "this ice sucks" and "I need my skates sharpened" when you do bad things on the ice. Another important technique to master is looking intently at your stick blade and bending it like you think it might be cracked after you mess up stick handling or shooting the puck. This is a very important skill

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

toxicsunset posted:

Learn to say important things like "this ice sucks" and "I need my skates sharpened" when you do bad things on the ice. Another important technique to master is looking intently at your stick blade and bending it like you think it might be cracked after you mess up stick handling or shooting the puck. This is a very important skill

Blaming the ice for essentially anything negative that happens is crucial. Get beat and it cost a goal? "Puck is bouncing all over this lovely ice." Trip over the blue line? "There's a big rut over there." Lose the puck in the offensive zone? "Maybe if the Zamboni driver hadn't left so much water on this fuckin ice!"

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Great Stickhandling Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrYe0-ZX0Y&t=80s
Associated Article: http://howtohockey.com/how-to-stickhandle

But generally speaking you want to practice stickhandling all around your body and get comfortable moving the puck from Zone A to Zone B to help protect the puck from the opposition.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The phrases "the bounces aren't going my way tonight" and "gently caress" will become 90% of your hockey vocabulary. Also if you are a winger forget everything you've learned about defense. Backchecking is for tryhards.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

lazerwolf posted:

The phrases "the bounces aren't going my way tonight" and "gently caress" will become 90% of your hockey vocabulary. Also if you are a winger forget everything you've learned about defense. Backchecking is for tryhards.

Or, you know, freely chase the puck wherever it takes you in the defensive zone, especially if it means hitting your own defenseman and (ideally) giving your opponent half a minute of 5-on-3.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

That safe pass in your own zone to the winger standing on the boards ready to start the breakout? That pass is for pussies, man. Throw that poo poo directly up the middle to the guy already at the other blue line.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the gently caress kind of winger posts up waiting for a pass? Lazy rear end needs to get himself deep into the neutral zone so he can scoop up a pass that somehow made it through three opponents and trigger a sweet breakaway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zip! posted:

That safe pass in your own zone to the winger standing on the boards ready to start the breakout? That pass is for pussies, man. Throw that poo poo directly up the middle to the guy already at the other blue line.

You're a pussy if you aren't that guy on the other blue line. Passing is for bitches.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

You're a pussy if you aren't that guy on the other blue line. Passing is for bitches.

Yeah. The forward pass wasn't originally legal in hockey - for good reason.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
For cherry-picking bonus points, tap your stick to call for the pass while screaming "HEY HEY HEY HEY." Yell at the defenseman for not sending you that 120 foot pass when you both get back to the bench.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I went to the Preds' used equipment sale today on a whim. I was only really planning on getting hockey socks but ended up grabbing some barely-used Michael Del Zotto Bauer Supreme NXG skates for $100 (plus whatever it will cost me to put runners on them). Sweet deal if I end up liking them. Also, anyone want some Preds home (gold) hockey socks for $6 + whatever usps flat rate shipping is? Got an extra set.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Thufir posted:

I went to the Preds' used equipment sale today on a whim. I was only really planning on getting hockey socks but ended up grabbing some barely-used Michael Del Zotto Bauer Supreme NXG skates for $100 (plus whatever it will cost me to put runners on them). Sweet deal if I end up liking them. Also, anyone want some Preds home (gold) hockey socks for $6 + whatever usps flat rate shipping is? Got an extra set.

I'd be down if they're still available. spartan22x [at] gmail [.] com, if you want to work out how to do it?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

That's a great deal on skates. Congrats!

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
I went to an international exhibition game between USA and Canada on the weekend (details here if you’re interested: http://www.internationalicehockey.com.au/news-international-ice-hockey-australia-2014.html) . It was a lot of fun, and even though the majority of players were from European leagues with a couple of AHL, and NHL players the skill level was phenomenal compared to what we normally get to see here. I’ve never seen an NHL game live but it certainly increased my desire to do so.

I also went down to the rink yesterday and picked up some suspenders, when I got home and went to try them out I noticed that on my left pant leg I only have one button. It’s not even like the button had fallen out or anything, there is no hole at all. I picked the pants up from the bargain bin during the sale though… so not sure if I’m going to be able to do anything about it other than rectify it myself (ie: get a button and sew it in.)

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Life lesson time, kids (sorry, this is long):

I haven't posted in this thread for a while because I haven't been playing. Specifically, I haven't played since April (and let me tell you, it's been ripping me out of the frame not to play). And now I'm looking at surgery, and a minimum of another 6 months off the ice.

Back in December, I tweaked my ankle a little bit, but hey, it wasn't so bad. It happened gradually. I'd notice a general soreness after games that would disappear by the following day or two later, and by game time the following week, I was back to 100%, so I'd skate again. I'd be sore again, it would wear off, it would get better, lather, rinse, repeat for about two months. I never stopped skating during this time or bothered to get it looked at because it never got worse. So really, what's a doctor going to do? Problem was, it never got better, either.

And then one day, it did get worse. And I taped it up and kept on going, because hockey.

I finally had to admit defeat in late March, and went to see an orthopedist in early April. He diagnosed a ligament sprain and tendinitis, put me in a brace, gave me some PT to do at home, and said come back in 3 weeks if it's not better. I waited about 6 weeks. It didn't get better. I went back, he ordered an MRI.

MRI results come back. His nurse calls me and says that my tendon is torn and they're referring me to a surgeon to discuss my options.

Well, poo poo.

I go into the appointment with the surgeon thinking he's going to tell me "no problem, we'll stitch up your tendon, it's same-day surgery and you're out the door."

Yeah, not so much.

He first tells me that, if I were 60 or 70, he'd put me in a boot for a couple of months and follow that up with PT and that would be that. But then he says, because I'm young and expect to play again, surgery is the better (read: ONLY) option. And what this surgery entails is replacing my torn tendon with a tendon in my foot, taking a piece of bone from my tibia to reconstruct part of my heel, and lengthening my calf muscle because oh yeah, there's something wrong there too. This is no outpatient surgery. This is "overnight in the hospital" surgery. Also, this is "you can't work for 2-3 weeks afterward" surgery. This is "6 weeks before you can think about PT" surgery.

Some anatomy trivia I learned in all of this (and why they have to reconstruct part of my heel): apparently if you have a tendon injury like mine and it goes untreated for a long period of time (like mine), it can cause the arch of your foot to collapse (like mine). They have to reposition the bones in my heel to repair my arch.

At least it's not my driving foot.

TL, DR: If you tweak your ankle, it's probably a good idea to deal with that poo poo up front before you tear your tendon and cause the arch in your foot to collapse.

Zamboni Rodeo fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 14, 2014

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That sucks. I wonder a doctor will say about my messed up shin/ankle when I finally go see one. This is pretty much why I am putting it off.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
This is why I'm pretty much putting off getting my shoulders looked at. I know my rotator cuff(s) are all sorts of hosed from the years of baseball/softball and then exacerbated from goaltending but everyone I talk to who had to get their shoulders fixed, ended up having to just sit around for weeks with no physical activity. I'll deal with it until it really blows up, I guess.

It is kind of bad rear end to say you played on a torn tendon, though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You don't have to have surgery, and the doctor looking at it doesn't change things.

If the doc says "hey, you need serious surgery" you can say "no thanks it doesn't bug me".

You might as well find out if it's "actually if you do this simple thing before it fails completely it'll be way simpler".

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Christ that sucks. I've had nagging injuries in my left wrist and right thumb for a while now and refuse to get it checked out because gently caress high deductible health plans. poo poo.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Christ that sucks. I've had nagging injuries in my left wrist and right thumb for a while now and refuse to get it checked out because gently caress high deductible health plans. poo poo.

I've already met my deductible this year due to a reaggravation of the knee injury I suffered playing hockey in early spring 2012 (which I subsequently got surgery for: Zamboni_Rodeo, your experience sounds almost exactly like mine, except replace torn foot tendon with dislocated knee). Now every time I get any kind of tweak or twist or nasty bump, I go to the doctor and tell them to put some xrays on my tab.

Hockey is hard on bodies. Today while one of my teams was getting dressed before a game, someone pointed out that of 10 people in the room, 7 of them wore some kind of knee support or brace. At least four of us have had reconstructive knee surgery.

In an unrelated note, I had probably my best beer league game every tonight. I was such a hassle in front of the net for one of the bad guy d-men that he started getting frustrated and trying some lovely stuff: can openers, slew foots. At one point he did a big old two-handed slash down on my stick in the crease, then put his stick between my skates. He twisted, I fell, but I took his stick with me. He's waving at the ref for a penalty and when he didn't get it, he turned around and slew footed another of our players and got a penalty for that. When he finally got another shift, he got a double minor for an elbow. While the guy he slew footed was chirping him on the way to box, he almost got an unsportsmanlilke for opening the door and stepping back on the ice, which would have gotten him tossed. So getting in his head was fun.

Later, I was leading the rush when I realized my option were all being cut off as three bad guys converged on me, so I (like an idiot) tried to do a quick stop at the blue line. I passed it back to another forward charging up, since he had a free lane, but I also fell down into the offensive zone. I would have ruined the rush if I tried to pick my rear end up off the ice, so I did a barrel roll back across the line. The guy I passed to sniped it from above the circle. Got an assist while laid out on the ice. Got a bunch of mock cheers for it on the bench.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jul 14, 2014

xryokus
Aug 25, 2006
The world will change.
As expected the Pro Shop won't help me. Any of you put a button on hockey pants before? Got any advice?

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Reading this made me think of my foot and the problems I've been having with it recently. Back in March or so, I took a slapshot off the top of my left foot. As expected, it hurt like hell but a few days afterwards the pain went away. Now after every game, the top of the foot is sore and I can't understand why since it's been so long since the puck hit it. I think I might go out to the hospital to get checked out. Thanks!

Hope you're doing ok Zamboni! best of luck.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

xryokus posted:

As expected the Pro Shop won't help me. Any of you put a button on hockey pants before? Got any advice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqXNpeYruY4

This might help :)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bgreman posted:

Hockey is hard on bodies.

I actually think hockey is one of the easier sports on the body, provided you don't run into people/boards (goalies excluded, their hips and knees eventually fall apart). Compare to soccer where players constantly make strong lateral cuts, that's an MCL/ACL tear waiting to happen. I've never played basketball but I assume it has the same issues. Or running where repeated compression of the joints will eventually cause problems.

In general any sport will wear the body out, but it's not like there's any point in preserving it. There's no high score bonus when we die.

But at least hockey isn't actively trying to tear tendons. :v:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

xzzy posted:

I actually think hockey is one of the easier sports on the body, provided you don't run into people/boards (goalies excluded, their hips and knees eventually fall apart). Compare to soccer where players constantly make strong lateral cuts, that's an MCL/ACL tear waiting to happen. I've never played basketball but I assume it has the same issues. Or running where repeated compression of the joints will eventually cause problems.

In general any sport will wear the body out, but it's not like there's any point in preserving it. There's no high score bonus when we die.

But at least hockey isn't actively trying to tear tendons. :v:

Contact and freak accidents (which hockey dominates) aside, hockey is gentler than most sports when it comes to things like joints and bones. But it seems to be not quite as forgiving when it comes to things like, eg, your groin and hips - muscles and chunks of physiology that it forces you to use in ways that I don't imagine we evolved for.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Every adult sport has a ton of injuries. Anecdotally I think I saw a LOT more guys get seriously hurt in soccer games and (lol) softball than I ever have in hockey. Soccer was just a bloodbath for broken ankles/legs and ligament tears (myself included: broken ankle).

I've been playing adult no contact hockey since I was 20 and in that time I can only think of two times that I've seen injuries that required hospitalization and neither was all that significant; one was a broken collarbone and one was an MCL tear.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Habibi posted:

Contact and freak accidents (which hockey dominates) aside, hockey is gentler than most sports when it comes to things like joints and bones. But it seems to be not quite as forgiving when it comes to things like, eg, your groin and hips - muscles and chunks of physiology that it forces you to use in ways that I don't imagine we evolved for.

The hip thing has been studied. I saw an item on Science Daily a couple of years ago where it was found that 70% of professional hockey players studied had some sort of hip dysfunction, whether or not they were symptomatic. I don't remember how many guys they tested, though.

We figured out in the locker room the other night that out of 9 skaters we'd had 5 injuries that required surgery (3 ankles, 2 shoulders) courtesy of hockey.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Yeah I guess I shouldn't have just said "hockey is hard on bodies." All sports are hard on bodies. Those saying hockey is less hard on your joints and stuff are spot on: I can skate all day long, but running for more than a few minutes makes my post-surgery knee ache and burn.

I think the biggest thing is that for a lot of beer/rec league players, hockey might be the only real exercise they get. I didn't grow up playing sports, and my body wasn't used to years of strenuous physical exertion.

All that said, I would advise that if anyone has lingering physical issues because of an injury, don't put it off. You could be doing long-term damage to yourself. I'm not saying automatically elect for surgery when your surgical consult inevitably pushes it on you (I mean, what is a surgeon going to do? Not advocate surgery?), but at least figure out what's wrong and what all your options are. Educating yourself on the injury and various treatments can't hurt, but it's hard to do that when you're just speculating on what the injury is.

Checking my privilege right here for having pretty decent health insurance, making diagnosis costs something of a non-issue for me. Those of you who don't and have already hurt yourselves, that really sucks, but I still advise getting to the bottom of the injury before it gets worse to the point of affecting your non-hockey life. You don't want to be the friend of mine who put off an ACL reconstruction for 12 years and will now need a knee replacement before age 40.

I am not a doctor. This is just my (anecdotal) experience, and second-hand information from other amateur athletes I work with regularly (I coach for a roller derby league, and THAT is a sport that seems actively designed to destroy ankles and knees).

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

bgreman posted:

All that said, I would advise that if anyone has lingering physical issues because of an injury, don't put it off. You could be doing long-term damage to yourself. I'm not saying automatically elect for surgery when your surgical consult inevitably pushes it on you (I mean, what is a surgeon going to do? Not advocate surgery?), but at least figure out what's wrong and what all your options are. Educating yourself on the injury and various treatments can't hurt, but it's hard to do that when you're just speculating on what the injury is.

Actually, yeah, there are a good number of conservative orthopedic surgeons who won't push for surgery unless it's really necessary. The trick is just knowing whether you've got that guy or not.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
I've been playing for like 25 years and hips and groin are hosed up. Same ole story, always nagged me but never did anything about it because whatever hip/groin I hurt always got better in time to play next week...until it didn't. Now I have stretches and pt exercises to do everyday (everyday I remember to do them) just to stay mobile in my day to day life. Oh and I'm only 31. Can't wait to see how many exercises and stretches I have to do by the time I'm fifty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bigbillystyle posted:

Can't wait to see how many exercises and stretches I have to do by the time I'm fifty.

All you gotta do at that age is lift 16 ounces from your cup holder to your mouth.