Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Ya, you missed the Southern California house buying train by about 5 years.

EDIT: Poop new page. Well here's some helpful information for all you aspiring California residents: http://behindthethrills.com/2014/05/disneyland-raises-ticket-prices-eliminates-southern-california-annual-pass/

Disney isn't selling a decent annual pass to Southern Californians anymore. So you've got that going for you.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

My Q-Face posted:

*snip*

TL;DR, I'm looking at Orange County College in Costa Mesa, I have about 30K to put down on a house (and VA home loan benefits to boot), and a minimum monthly income between 2000 and 3000/month while in school.

If you can rent in Costa Mesa, you might as well stay there. Decent nightlife, close to the beach, shouldn't be too expensive (from what I've heard). I also hear good things about Long Beach, as was mentioned above.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya, you missed the Southern California house buying train by about 5 years.

EDIT: Poop new page. Well here's some helpful information for all you aspiring California residents: http://behindthethrills.com/2014/05/disneyland-raises-ticket-prices-eliminates-southern-california-annual-pass/

Disney isn't selling a decent annual pass to Southern Californians anymore. So you've got that going for you.

Something tells me that people want to do another Disney goon meet!

There are a lot of places in OC where the homes didn't go down in price at all - they just stagnated for a bit and then they just went right back up again. Riverside County (ex: Corona, Murrieta) really felt that bubble burst, though.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

kittenkicker posted:

If you can rent in Costa Mesa, you might as well stay there. Decent nightlife, close to the beach, shouldn't be too expensive (from what I've heard). I also hear good things about Long Beach, as was mentioned above.

Yeah, I don't see the point of living in Long Beach just to commute to Costa Mesa. Costa Mesa is fine and the rent is probably roughly equal between the two cities. I would definitely not buy real estate in either place though.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
So how bad is rush hour? I've heard stories, and I've experienced the DC and Atlanta rush hours, are we talking 15mph for 30 miles?

I'm not trying to be all goony e/n ignore the advice, I just want to get an idea before I completely extinguish the idea of buying somewhere a little further away. Is Riverside county to OC just a really stupid idea?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

So how bad is rush hour? I've heard stories, and I've experienced the DC and Atlanta rush hours, are we talking 15mph for 30 miles?
15 MPH is optimistic for most of LA, especially down on the South/West where everything routes through the 405. It gets better at certain times of day but during rush hour (which is what we're talking about with your classes at the college) it's incredibly bad.

My Q-Face posted:

I'm not trying to be all goony e/n ignore the advice, I just want to get an idea before I completely extinguish the idea of buying somewhere a little further away. Is Riverside county to OC just a really stupid idea?
Yes.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My Q-Face posted:

If you're around right now, check out the traffic today: http://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp#lat=33.82077&lon=-117.80476&z=1 It's about 5 PM in California right now, so juuuust the beginning of our delightful rush hour. Check out that red line between Villa Park and Corona. That's you driving home.

I would say without paying for the toll lanes your commute from mid-Riverside to Costa Mesa would be average 2 hours plus. Of course, if you take classes outside of normal rush hours it would be a little better. Best would be going against traffic, like maybe you should just live in Costa Mesa and take classes at RCC if you really want to drive the 91.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wrong California.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 9, 2014

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Hawkgirl posted:

If you're around right now, check out the traffic today: http://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp#lat=33.82077&lon=-117.80476&z=1 It's about 5 PM in California right now, so juuuust the beginning of our delightful rush hour. Check out that red line between Villa Park and Corona. That's you driving home.

I would say without paying for the toll lanes your commute from mid-Riverside to Costa Mesa would be average 2 hours plus. Of course, if you take classes outside of normal rush hours it would be a little better. Best would be going against traffic, like maybe you should just live in Costa Mesa and take classes at RCC if you really want to drive the 91.

I'm in Germany right now, who could sleep with all the noise?

Good Lord, look at all of that Red. :downsgun:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
If Q-Face is starting off at Orange Coast College ( I went there back in the late 80's) why not just pick somewhere between the beach and Riverside like Tustin to live in? Close enough to OCC and you might be able to sneak into a tiny fixer upper or something (probably not easy though) and enough bars/dining/stuff to do without it being a horrible suburban megachain experience block after block.

If you say gently caress it and rent with some goons...don't move to Newport Beach unless you want to spend 7 years at OCC instead of 2 (might be worth it though).

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Seconding living in Costa Mesa. I don't know you as a person, but it has something for everyone who's in your age range. You can go to the Goat and bro down, or you can go next door to the Boulevard and... bro down with people who don't know they're bros. Still, there's a good variety of stuff and you're close enough to the beach that you won't die in the summer.

I also recommend against buying a house for the reasons others have posted.

Do not commute unless you have a specific reason to live in a specific local city, and do not live in Riverside. If you do live in Costa Mesa/Orange County, there's probably a lot of us who live there who could recommend specific areas for you. As much as I bitch about living in the boring suburbs, there are some definite perks to it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

My Q-Face posted:

Just to dogpile -- absolutely a stupid idea. The 91 from the 55 (actually further) to basically riverside is probably the longest parking lot in SoCal -- you will get fairly bad traffic jams even on the weekends -- weekdays are just unmanageable, unless you can pony up $10 each way for the toll lanes (and even then, they end at the county line, so anything into Riverside county is still a traffic jam). It is not uncommon to see the 91 from 55 to 57 entirely black on google maps.
Plus you have to live in the IE. Redlands and Claremont (They actually have trees!) verge on livable. Riverside (old parts) is passable for the IE. The rest is horrible and full of brodozers. I only live here because I work here and the traffic sucks.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Well thanks for all of the advice but what I'm gonna do is :goonsay: !

Hrm, the weekends thing doesn't sound very appealing. The attraction for me to Riverside at all is the two world-class dropzones in Perris and Elsinore. If I don't live near there, I still intend to travel that way fairly often. Especially on the weekends. Is it basically rush-hour hours all over again? Is the weekend traffic basically Mornings into LA, Evenings/Afternoons back to Riverside, or just a general traffic melange all around?

What are some good resources besides Apartmentfinder.com and Realtor.com for finding a place to rent in the Costa Mesa and the immediate surroundings? What about room-mates? Goon-mates? On the one hand, I feel like I'm a little old and annoying for roomates and I don't think I have any friends looking for a place in the area, on the other hand $1300 for a <500 sqft. studio apartment? :shepspends:

I'd consider buying a multi-bedroom condo near the university areas and renting out the other rooms, except that while I haven't had much experience with HOAs, I suspect most of them would frown on that. I could drum up a larger cash outlay for a potential rental/investment property, but I don't know much about doing that.

I do still wish that I'd taken my surplus deployment money and bought a condo when I went back to school in PA ten years ago, but that might just be wishful thinking. I'm not a bad tenant, but I have no idea about other people.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jul 9, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I live in the Inland Empire region and commute 35mi to Irvine for work and school currently.

The thing you gotta understand about commuting from IE to OC is that the two counties are geographically separated by a mountain range. There is only one way in and out to commute from there, that's the 91 freeway. So when 80% of the IE empties for OC and LA counties, they mainly travel along the 91 freeway. And then when they go home, it's even worse. And they're beginning a 5-year long construction all along the freeway starting this year :suicide:

I live in North Orange County, Fullerton specifically, for about 30 years. I moved out to the Inland Empire about 3 years ago because I had a growing family and could not afford to buy in OC. So I moved about 20 miles out and bought a house twice as big and half the price. I think that's a big motivation for lots of people who move out there, it's families and working class people priced out of the OC and LA market and decided that home ownership was worth the cost of the commute. There are still lots of places for young people like downtown Riverside, Redlands, places more like college towns. But for a single person with no kids I don't think the distance is worth the cost. Plus the mountain range doesn't allow the off-shore airflow and traps tons of smog from the thousands of warehouses that serve LA so it's always 10-15 degrees hotter out here.

I think there are some great areas of OC that can still be affordable if you're willing to look around. Fullerton, Brea, Anaheim, even Buena Park all have nice areas that are a little more affordable than South Orange County. Costa Mesa is nice, Santa Ana is becoming gentrified quick and Orange has the "old town, downtown" vibe going for it. If you're planning on commuting to Perris there is still traffic but on the weekends it will be in the opposite direction you're looking to go. Just don't live in Perris, oh god no.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but CA-74 (aka "the Ortega") doesn't get much traffic on the weekends (from what I've seen). And it drops you off right at Elsinore. You'll have to contend with the total mileage, but it's a beautiful drive. It runs through the Cleveland National Forest, and there's some trailheads if you like hiking.

Also, keep in mind that you're only tied down to Costa Mesa (or thereabouts) until after college.

Most of my friends that live in Orange County are living with one or two roommates (or they are married, but I guess that still applies). If you end up with roommates, you're not alone.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I have just a slight fear of heights, but driving the 74 at proper speeds during the day leaves me a little anxious. And that's just during the day. It's pretty, but don't let your mind wander about the unforgiving terrain. The 74 itself doesn't see a ton of traffic during that time iirc, but getting to the 74 is a pain in the rear end. It's usually solid, slow traffic from the 73 onramp down to the 1.

As for roommates, yup. Pretty much anyone earning under $75k a year is living with a roommate. And there are plenty of people making over that who own and rent out to people, so they really have roommates too. It felt weird coming from the midwest, but it's normal.

Q-Face:

There's tons and tons of upside in renting for a while in a place and THEN deciding where you want to buy. If you do that, you're out what-- 1 year of mortgage payments out of 15 total years?

HOAs can be funny, but people buying condos to rent out the second bedroom is pretty common. Irvine would be the most restrictive about that stuff, but the ownership and management of Irvine is kinda creepy odd anyway and it's very expensive.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

If you're driving to Riverside from the OC on weekends you shouldn't see crazy traffic, especially if you leave in the morning and come back in the evening, then it will be the opposite of most of the flow of traffic.

Also, buying that condo might not be a bad idea, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few complexes that allowed subletting, especially near the college. That said, try Craigslist and the go to website westsiderentals for housing. WSR will require you to pay for a membership but it's what pretty much everyone else uses and will probably be most helpful.

Honestly you're putting way more thought into this then I did when I moved out here, I somehow think you'll make it work no matter what.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

If you're driving to Riverside from the OC on weekends you shouldn't see crazy traffic, especially if you leave in the morning and come back in the evening, then it will be the opposite of most of the flow of traffic.

Also, buying that condo might not be a bad idea, it wouldn't surprise me if there were a few complexes that allowed subletting, especially near the college. That said, try Craigslist and the go to website westsiderentals for housing. WSR will require you to pay for a membership but it's what pretty much everyone else uses and will probably be most helpful.

Honestly you're putting way more thought into this then I did when I moved out here, I somehow think you'll make it work no matter what.

Yeah, I have this thing some people call the O.C. Disorder.

I'm just very anxious about it because I've spent more than 30 years of my life going where the Army told me or my parents to go and living where it told us to live, having roommates who were assigned, not chosen, and being prepared to pick up stakes every two years or less.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
25 new posts, no burgers, burritos, or car chases.

Come on what has this thread become? Informational??

EnsGDT fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 10, 2014

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EnsGDT posted:

Consumer Reports just said California has the top two burgers in the nation

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

EnsGDT posted:

I feel this is topical for this thread. Listened to this on the way home from work today.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/06/26/325803580/what-burritos-and-sandwiches-can-teach-us-about-innovation

Burritos own you should eat more burritos. They are the optimal edible food delivery device.

I am a burrito based life form.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
I didnt even know Fuddruckers existed anymore.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, I have this thing some people call the O.C. Disorder.

Don't call it that.

In drought news, my local news, KSBY, just reported that the local "lake," which is drying up, will be a topic at the next SLO City Council meeting. I hope the result of the discussion is a 4-1 vote agreeing that "It's too bad the lake is drying up."

Then the news pointed out how much the dry lake affects the nearby homeowners. Those poor owners of $800k homes, temporarily without their lake.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

CPColin posted:

Don't call it that.

In drought news, my local news, KSBY, just reported that the local "lake," which is drying up, will be a topic at the next SLO City Council meeting. I hope the result of the discussion is a 4-1 vote agreeing that "It's too bad the lake is drying up."

Then the news pointed out how much the dry lake affects the nearby homeowners. Those poor owners of $800k homes, temporarily without their lake.

Bet you the value of their homes they still water their lawns at least once every 2 days.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I thought "whataburger" was just some made up thing from Infinite Jest...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I thought "whataburger" was just some made up thing from Infinite Jest...

Whatever you do don't say that in the Texas thread. Also sad that Freebird's wasn't on that chart.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

FCKGW posted:

Consumer Reports just said California has the top two burgers in the nation

That's probably because they taste almost the same.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Said it before and I will say it again.

When I went to Five Guys for the first time I literally scoffed out loud at the prices.

I can get essentially the same quality food at 2/3s the price at In-N-Out. Plus drive thru. Plus non-hokey dumb service.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

Said it before and I will say it again.

When I went to Five Guys for the first time I literally scoffed out loud at the prices.

I can get essentially the same quality food at 2/3s the price at In-N-Out. Plus drive thru. Plus non-hokey dumb service.

Same, Five Guys is insanely expensive for what you get.

Also The Habit is now my go-to place for burgers, they are very good and you all should check them out.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Trabisnikof posted:

Whatever you do don't say that in the Texas thread. Also sad that Freebird's wasn't on that chart.

Yeah Freebirds would topple that if it was a bigger chain probably. One of my favorite burger places is The Counter (at least the one here, maybe the rest suck) but it's also pretty small chain. Habit is decent for just a burger too--even if it's more expensive than InN Out it tastes a lot better.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

But can you get all-you-can-eat-while-you-wait Peanuts and just throw the shells on the floor?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

CPColin posted:

Don't call it that.

Are you talking about Laguna Lake? Unless prices have absolutely skyrocketed there's no way those houses are $800k+. It was never even that nice of a lake to begin with ...

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I had a habit burger once and it sucked, where you really want to go is Fusion Burger in highland park

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

FreshFeesh posted:

Are you talking about Laguna Lake? Unless prices have absolutely skyrocketed there's no way those houses are $800k+. It was never even that nice of a lake to begin with ...

Yeah, Laguna Lake. Zillow.com has them more in the $500k-$600k range, you're right. I remember a local telling me the lake bottom was "all diapers" when I first moved up here.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Jesus, I would have never guessed those homes were even up that high. I lived in SLO through the 80s and 90s and I wouldn't have guessed that those homes topped 300k even at the height of the market.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That 1% growth cap works wonders on home prices, to be sure.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
I wonder how large a chain has to be in order to get on that list.

Umami burger and Bruxie are pretty niche but they have been growing by leaps and bounds. Not as SoCal iconic as In-n-Out, though.

I grew up on In-n-Out so I'd have a hard time choosing Habit or 5guys over it. They have good burgers but not good enough.

EDIT: Many of these places (Jason's Deli, In-N-Out, 5 guys) have at least 250+ locations. That's a good defining point of a sizable chain.
EDIT2: Habit burger has 102 locations (either built or being-built).

celeron 300a fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 10, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Gann Jerrod posted:

That's probably because they taste almost the same.

I grew up with Habit and In-n-out and theyre fairly different to me. v:shobon:v

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The best burgers (and burritos) are always at dives, not megachains. :colbert:

I'd like to firebomb the hipsters at Umami burger in Oakland enjoying their $85 "mouth experiences." Get off my lawn.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Ya, I'm another vote for the "Umami sucks rear end" crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
Never had Umami but I do know that's 50/50 burger is underwhelming. I was not satisfactorially whelmed.

• Locked thread