Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

For all of the people who say that they're drowning, make sure to take a single point in swimming... Also, reading.

Was that a random Gen that you did, or a picture that you found? There are several utilities out there that can make custom map designs like this.

If it is yours, then it is most definitely an Easter egg... Far too accurate to be anything but. Well, aside from Alaska, whose edge juts far north of the edge of Canada, for some reason.

Edit: The :911: map.

Carsius fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Whoops, double-posted. Ignore this.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Well, that was weird. I started a fortress, and was attacked before the first caravan ever arrived.
The goblins killed a couple animals, then, the sight of such gruesome death scared them off.
This is the best release.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Sula Quabpumik, 'Granitefinder', mason of the hamlet of Blanketbeasts, decided he had had enough. Bandits had been raiding for weeks and the Council of Dining had done nothing. The Paladins of the Plate hid in their dining hall, toasting the god of Food happily eating the crops raised by the farmers of Blanketbeasts and caring nothing for their suffering.

Taking an old copper halberd he stepped into the streets and attacked the bandits small party. Seeing three of their number quickly fall, the rest fled. "I have slain Emoth Hammerspread the human!" he shouted "It was inevitable" answered the people. "I am lord of the Honorable Coalition and I claim this land!" No one acknowledged him.

Sula, now called the Proliferation of Crowding, walked to the hall of the Council of Dining, called the Keep of Dinner. There he found Lord Ramul Weakfortunes. The 93 year old man spoke "Hail Food!" Sula grabbed him by the throat, choking him until he collapsed. Then hit him in the head five times with his halberd until sure the old bastard was dead.

"I am the slayer of Ramul Weakfortunes, lord of the Council of Dining, whose insignificant name I struggle to recall!"

"You are now Lord of the Keep of Dinner! Let us not harm anyone." Claimed a nearby dwarven sellsword, who until recently had served as the bodyguard to the former Lord Weakfortunes. Sula approached and removed both of the Dwarves hands, "Ahhh, violence!!! It is terrifying!" Sula asked "Where is the Lord Ramul Weakfortunes?" to which the dying Dwarf replied "He is dead."

Sula turned and walked away.

(Oddly, there was no food to be found in the Keep of Dinner.)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

For kicks, I checked out what'd it look like if you made unarmed attacks 100 times slower.

A fistfight between two dwarves looked like a catfight. Seconds-long staredowns punctuated by traded punches. Which usually missed, since the windups were so slow you could walk rings around your opponent before it landed.

Yo this owns.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Haha, I don't think this one was posted yet

quote:

So I retired and unretired a fort, and all the fortress pets are now clothed. The yaks, the cats, the dogs, everything.

He thinks he's people :3:

Toady One posted:

Somebody was busy while you were away!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

NewMars posted:

Holy crap, it turns out that The slabs you can get at the bottom of a vault have a secret power. After reading one (you may need to carry it with you) you can talk to it's associated demon and use it's true name to instantly banish them or command them to do your bidding. :getin:

I have to ask, does this work in any fashion for fortress mode? I haven't reached any new HFS yet on my current fort.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Did Toady gently caress around with the creature raws and change the default body part files? I tried genning a new world and got a massive error log for nearly every single one of my creatures. A bunch of tokens the game used to recognize seem to have vanished. A lot of body parts no longer seem to exist under their old name. I didn't think he was going to mess with the raws like this so this is a pretty unpleasant surprise. I don't suppose there is any sort of documentation on what changes were made to the default raw files?

DF just isn't the same for me when I can't bring along golems and octopus pets :smith:

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
Playing on fortress mode for the first time (0.34) and my first fortress survived its first siege by just walling myself in and waiting the bad guys out. I figure it's time to set up a military and set up some traps.

Will my stupid dwarves trigger their own traps or do they only fire on enemies? i.e.: Do I have to set up a different trap-laden entrance to entice enemies into, or can I just trap my existing main entrance?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

UltraShame posted:

Will my stupid dwarves trigger their own traps or do they only fire on enemies? i.e.: Do I have to set up a different trap-laden entrance to entice enemies into, or can I just trap my existing main entrance?

Only if they get knocked out while standing on them. Or if they fall asleep on one, as I find out the hard way. But that almost never happens. Almost.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Holy poo poo, world gen does seem to be faster initially, the years just blaze by, though things do tend to slow down around year 150. Now that I've got my fancypants Phoebus tileset, it's time to go adventurin' and see what hijinks will ensue!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

UltraShame posted:

Playing on fortress mode for the first time (0.34) and my first fortress survived its first siege by just walling myself in and waiting the bad guys out. I figure it's time to set up a military and set up some traps.

Traps that are triggered automatically can only be triggered by creatures flagged as hostile to your fortress (invaders, berserk dwarves, etc). Dwarves can still be caught up in the results of the traps, and there are creatures like gremlins that can stealth and pull levers to set off traps unexpectedly, but generally speaking it's pretty safe to trap your main entrance.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Internet Kraken posted:

Did Toady gently caress around with the creature raws and change the default body part files? I tried genning a new world and got a massive error log for nearly every single one of my creatures. A bunch of tokens the game used to recognize seem to have vanished. A lot of body parts no longer seem to exist under their old name. I didn't think he was going to mess with the raws like this so this is a pretty unpleasant surprise. I don't suppose there is any sort of documentation on what changes were made to the default raw files?

DF just isn't the same for me when I can't bring along golems and octopus pets :smith:

There are only a few critical things that changed about creatures, but I'm guessing you're missing gait tokens.

Most often they're just added in 5-7 lines of creature variations, depending whether they have two legs, four legs, no legs and/or wings. Birds are, notably, utter poo poo at walking now and flounder helplessly on the ground if winged. Here are the dwarf's gait tokens for reference:

[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:5951:5419:4898:1463:6944:8233] 6 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:5951:5419:4898:1463:6944:8233] 6 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph

e: What kind of errors are you getting? That might also be a help.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 10, 2014

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Met posted:

This thread moves fast. Sorry it's 100+ replies late.

http://kruggsmash.deviantart.com/art/Greed-The-End-of-Duralthob-463209684

Well gently caress you guys now I have to come back to DF again like a lonely ex. :colbert:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

There are only a few critical things that changed about creatures, but I'm guessing you're missing gait tokens.

Most often they're just added in 5-7 lines of creature variations, depending whether they have two legs, four legs, no legs and/or wings. Birds are, notably, utter poo poo at walking now and flounder helplessly on the ground if winged. Here are the dwarf's gait tokens for reference:

[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:5951:5419:4898:1463:6944:8233] 6 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:5951:5419:4898:1463:6944:8233] 6 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph

e: What kind of errors are you getting? That might also be a help.

I'm getting a variation of this error for basically every single creature;

quote:

PYGMY_ELEPHANT:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: THROAT
PYGMY_ELEPHANT:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: NECK

Which implies to me that something changed in regards to those body parts but I'm not seeing what. Other than that it was a ton of speed errors which has to to do with the new Gait system (not looking forward to figuring that out).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zurai posted:

Traps that are triggered automatically can only be triggered by creatures flagged as hostile to your fortress (invaders, berserk dwarves, etc). Dwarves can still be caught up in the results of the traps, and there are creatures like gremlins that can stealth and pull levers to set off traps unexpectedly, but generally speaking it's pretty safe to trap your main entrance.

Actually I think the trigger is whether the creature is aware of the trap.

Because some creatures can sense traps and avoid them, also if you turn a civ hostile, if they have previously visited your fortress, any traps that you built prior to them becoming hostile, will not work on them (because you told the diplomat about them so he/she could get in). Additionally, if a creature becomes unable to avoid a trap due to unconsciousness or immobilization, the trap will trigger on them.

Traps don't have IFF, your dwarves just avoid them normally. Which is an important distinction because it means every single dwarf in your fortress is a legendary ballet dancer due to regularly passing through your heavily trapped entranceway.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Ah, of course.

Just about all humanoids and quadrupeds have distinct necks now, to which throats and heads connect. Just about all instances of the bodyplans HUMANOID and QUADRUPED have been changed to HUMANOID_NECK and QUADRUPED_NECK, maybe some others too along those lines.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

scamtank posted:

Ah, of course.

Just about all humanoids and quadrupeds have distinct necks now, to which throats and heads connect. Just about all instances of the bodyplans HUMANOID and QUADRUPED have been changed to HUMANOID_NECK and QUADRUPED_NECK, maybe some others too along those lines.

Thanks! You're a huge help. I have no clue why Toady didn't just alter the humanoid body plan to include this change but whatever. It also seems like some random tokens have been removed, but nothing that will keep the creatures from being mostly functional. Just random flavor stuff that absolutely never come up ingame but I put in anyways because I felt like it.

Now I just need to figure out the new gait system and replace the speed tokens for over 50 different entities! :suicide:

EDIT: This is actually really obnoxious because a bunch of the default creature body plans worked perfectly fine, but because Toady didn't update them properly they're now totally broken.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 10, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Apparently, talking to wild animals turns them into notable figures. I greeted a black mamba and an armadillo boar before killing them, and they are now notable kills.

e: Then I tried to block a lion's attack and the game crashed.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 10, 2014

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

Haha, I don't think this one was posted yet

He thinks he's people :3:

It is terrifying.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010

Mirthless posted:

:911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911: :911:

It even has a Florida :allears:

edit: God it even has the rockies! This has to be an easter egg, right?

Have you got a seed or a save for this? How did it happen? I wanna play on it so bad.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010
:siren: FIRST FIX RELEASE IS OUT :siren:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140296.msg5459884#msg5459884

quote:

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

It's not DF without save corruption! This release should fix an issue with autosaves corrupting and causing various crash issues down the line. For this reason 0.40.01 saves are not compatible with this version -- I'm going to try to avoid compatibility breaks as we go, but sometimes they happen. I've also fixed the talk-to-deity crash (closely related to the shout-when-nobody-is-around crash, also fixed), the blocking crash, and some other bad issues. Due to the save corruption, I didn't get a chance to work on the calendar speed, but assuming this release works as planned, I should be able to jump into that now.

Major bug fixes
(*) Stopped autosave features from corrupting worlds (thanks to everybody that helped sort that out so quickly!)
(*) Made the game not crash when talking to a deity or shouting out in the wilderness
(*) Fixed a crash from trying to actively block in the adventure attack menu
(*) Fixed the size bug where 9 of 10 young critters did not grow up beyond baby size (thanks Urist Da Vinci and so many others for all the work on that! I'd thank you all properly if I could do the archaeology to figure out how it was sorted out...)
(*) Fixed a crash that came sometimes when asking about the position of site forces
(*) Stopped a freeze that happened when swimming in deep water

Other bug fixes/tweaks
(*) Fixed the tracking key in the SDL version so you should be able to do that with capital K now
(*) Added the short wait button to the adventurer manual -- you can use , instead of . to wait for one instant
(*) Made quarry bushes process to an edible leaf properly
(*) Typo when impersonating divine being

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
welcome to elfmerica, home of the giant volcano

scamtank posted:

:frogsiren: Version 0.40.02 released!

e: oh jesus gently caress

I dont wanna be left out

buckets of buckets fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 10, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

:frogsiren: Version 0.40.02 released!

Toady One posted:

It's not DF without save corruption! This release should fix an issue with autosaves corrupting and causing various crash issues down the line. For this reason 0.40.01 saves are not compatible with this version -- I'm going to try to avoid compatibility breaks as we go, but sometimes they happen. I've also fixed the talk-to-deity crash (closely related to the shout-when-nobody-is-around crash, also fixed), the blocking crash, and some other bad issues. Due to the save corruption, I didn't get a chance to work on the calendar speed, but assuming this release works as planned, I should be able to jump into that now.

Major bug fixes

Stopped autosave features from corrupting worlds (thanks to everybody that helped sort that out so quickly!)
Made the game not crash when talking to a deity or shouting out in the wilderness
Fixed a crash from trying to actively block in the adventure attack menu
Fixed the size bug where 9 of 10 young critters did not grow up beyond baby size (thanks Urist Da Vinci and so many others for all the work on that! I'd thank you all properly if I could do the archaeology to figure out how it was sorted out...)
Fixed a crash that came sometimes when asking about the position of site forces
Stopped a freeze that happened when swimming in deep water

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Fixed the tracking key in the SDL version so you should be able to do that with capital K now
Added the short wait button to the adventurer manual -- you can use , instead of . to wait for one instant
Made quarry bushes process to an edible leaf properly
Typo when impersonating divine being

e2: The raws are identical to version .01.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 10, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Another body part to update if any of your creatures use it is to change BASIC_HEAD to BASIC_HEAD_NECK. Have any of the string dumps got a complete list of the new personality tokens? I put together my own list just by copying all the personality entries from creature_standard but I don't know if that's all of them.

The 'value' entity tokens seem to have at least some obvious effects. A custom civ with [VALUE:COMMERCE:30] (30 being the highest value in vanilla, don't know if it's useful to put it any higher) occasionally greets each other with "Make any good deals lately?"

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

scamtank posted:

:frogsiren:

You're getting slow. You saw what we did to Munki when he slowed down... He used to be a poet, you know?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

I WAS LATE BY SECONDS AT MOST

PublicOpinion posted:

Have any of the string dumps got a complete list of the new personality tokens? I put together my own list just by copying all the personality entries from creature_standard but I don't know if that's all of them.

The 'value' entity tokens seem to have at least some obvious effects. A custom civ with [VALUE:COMMERCE:30] (30 being the highest value in vanilla, don't know if it's useful to put it any higher) occasionally greets each other with "Make any good deals lately?"

Your intuition is right, there's more.

the executable posted:

LOVE_PROPENSITY
HATE_PROPENSITY
ENVY_PROPENSITY
CHEER_PROPENSITY
DEPRESSION_PROPENSITY
ANGER_PROPENSITY
ANXIETY_PROPENSITY
LUST_PROPENSITY
STRESS_VULNERABILITY
GREED
IMMODERATION
WASTEFULNESS
DISCORD
FRIENDLINESS
POLITENESS
DISDAIN_ADVICE
BRAVERY
CONFIDENCE
VANITY
AMBITION
GRATITUDE
IMMODESTY
HUMOR
VENGEFUL
PRIDE
CRUELTY
SINGLEMINDED
HOPEFUL
CURIOUS
BASHFUL
PRIVACY
PERFECTIONIST
CLOSEMINDED
TOLERANT
EMOTIONALLY_OBSESSIVE
SWAYED_BY_EMOTIONS
ALTRUISM
DUTIFULNESS
THOUGHTLESSNESS
ORDERLINESS
TRUST
GREGARIOUSNESS
ASSERTIVENESS
ACTIVITY_LEVEL
EXCITEMENT_SEEKING
IMAGINATION
ABSTRACT_INCLINED
ART_INCLINED

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So now that talking to deities is in has anyone figured out what you can do with it yet? Can I get cursed by a god and become a night creature? Or just become a priest or something?

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Shukaro posted:

It is terrifying.

It was inevitable.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Playing the new bugfix version. I spawned as a fist-using punchy-dodgy dude. My hometown was being harassed by bandits! I figured I'd go punch a few of them until they cried. As soon as I stepped outside I noticed a band of about 7 goblin bandits were following me around. They were cordial as usual but they wouldn't stop tailing me, until they all simultaneously stowed their weapons away and tried to beat me up. They were all pretty bad at fisticuffs, but they took offense when I tried biting one of them on the leg and chopped me to bits.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Elth posted:

Playing the new bugfix version. I spawned as a fist-using punchy-dodgy dude. My hometown was being harassed by bandits! I figured I'd go punch a few of them until they cried. As soon as I stepped outside I noticed a band of about 7 goblin bandits were following me around. They were cordial as usual but they wouldn't stop tailing me, until they all simultaneously stowed their weapons away and tried to beat me up. They were all pretty bad at fisticuffs, but they took offense when I tried biting one of them on the leg and chopped me to bits.

Serves you right, Luis Suárez!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I stumbled into a dwarven hillock for the night. It was filled with dozens and dozens of dwarf drunks, and upon seeing me they all started shouting about how there's a fight going on.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Interesting feature.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Why do dwarves like to climb to the top of trees and then dive out of them? Curse the elves and their fiendish tree creations.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010

my dad posted:

Interesting feature.

This is nice. I must have made about a dozen worlds messing with the advanced parameters before I managed to make one where dwarves survived beyond year 30.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Reason posted:

Why do dwarves like to climb to the top of trees and then dive out of them? Curse the elves and their fiendish tree creations.

I don't know, but even worse was my hunter/archer dorf. Guy successfully chased off and killed a bunch of rhesus monkeys, and then was able to do precisely jack and poo poo about the other five groups that turned up. Why? Because he'd climbed a 5 Z-Level tree... And couldn't climb down.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I started up with a retired adventurer and every so often they'll randomly move around, start conversations and end them with "It's beyond my control" :stare:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Jesus christ gaits are confusing as hell. Has anyone figured out exactly how they work? Toady's explanation in the raw files doesn't explain much.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I trekked halfway across the world to rescue the child of my hometown's leader, only for the game to crash as soon as I reach the dark fortress. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Number one reason to avoid medium-sized worlds is not the time they take to generate, but the fact that at the start of every game it tries to simulate two weeks of world time. After 30 minutes I am on day two.