Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

K. So, back at this.

Found this at costco (pictures from this article on it http://costcocouple.com/pulaski-knox-accent-chair/) and really liked the shape and size of it. It's not extremely comfortable but comfortable enough. But I love the shape. It comes with the ottoman, which is nice, but not necessary. Is there a name for this type of "chair" (more of a smaller, deep, curved loveseat: 54″ L x 38″ D x 32″ H)? Even if there isn't a specific name does anyone know of any that look similar?

You want to own and sit in a giant catcher's mitt?

I feel like maybe Johnny Bench could pull it off but excepting that it's p hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
What is the easiest way to transform a big batch of .wav into .mp3 ?

Thanks!

VVVVVVVVVV Thanks man, that worked wonders.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 10, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dawncloack posted:

Thanks!

You can do it with Audacity (free audio editing software)
http://www.ehow.com/how_8591387_convert-folder-audacity-files-mp3.html

caveat: you have to manually acquire the mp3 codec to convert into mp3, but Audacity walks you through it. Takes 2 minutes.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

You want to own and sit in a giant catcher's mitt?

I feel like maybe Johnny Bench could pull it off but excepting that it's p hideous.

God damnit you're right.

AlbieQuirky posted:

"Double chair" and "chair and a half" are two names I've seen used for that style.

Thanks!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Dawncloack posted:

Thanks!

Probably be easier to do with foobar than audacity.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS
*ahem* Gentleman area question, the lawn needs mowing but I hate shaving down there is it worth getting a hair removal cream type thing? are there any you can actually use in that area? pros and cons?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Electric bikini area trimmer, bonus if it lets you adjust the length. Anything electric without a guard of some sort can cause lovely little holes in your thigh or more sensitive places if you're not careful. Let's just say I learned this the hard way.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I have one of those adapters that you connect to your ODB2 port to get auto insurance discounts.

How does this communicate with my insurance provider? I literally just plugged it in, and after a week I started getting reports on my driving - I never set anything else up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

I have one of those adapters that you connect to your ODB2 port to get auto insurance discounts.

How does this communicate with my insurance provider? I literally just plugged it in, and after a week I started getting reports on my driving - I never set anything else up.

Those telematics thingies have cellular data connections. They're powered by your car (although they probably have a small backup battery). When you're driving they're sending updates on location and speed every thirty seconds or so and also logging how fast you accelerate, break and corner. Because they know what roads you are on they also know if you're speeding. They can also tell when they are unplugged. Have fun!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

itsjustdrew posted:

*ahem* Gentleman area question, the lawn needs mowing but I hate shaving down there is it worth getting a hair removal cream type thing? are there any you can actually use in that area? pros and cons?

There are creams you can use, but you won't know until you buy it whether you'll have a sensitivity / reaction to it. Buy one and try it on a small area, it doesn't have to be specific to bikini area or men. Heed the time earnings on the packet, don't think "five minutes? Pussy. My man hair is so manly it requires twenty minutes". Doing this will apparently burn your bollocks off.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
On my work computer, I tried to sign in to twitter and accidentally hit "remember me." I do not want this computer remembering me.

So I deleted all private data and cookies from the beginning of time (Firefox). This did not delete the autofill username and password.

The problem is that when I hit "remember me" I also spelled my twitter username wrong. So I can't sign in to that name with the box unchecked.

How do I delete this saved info?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Defenestration posted:

How do I delete this saved info?

Have you tried this? Le Googlé to the rescue. e: Looks like you want the answer in the third to bottom post.

e2: Also, when you go to clear your history, clear everything except your Browsing & Download History. That should also do the trick.

\/\/ :downs: Of course it's the one thing that doesn't seem like it should apply.

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 10, 2014

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Have you tried this? Le Googlé to the rescue. e: Looks like you want the answer in the third to bottom post.

e2: Also, when you go to clear your history, clear everything except your Browsing & Download History. That should also do the trick.

Excellent, thanks

It was browsing and download history that I needed to clear. I didn't think that would apply and I was trying to keep my recent visits auto-completable since sometimes I need to find articles I've read.

Chupe Raho Aurat
Jun 22, 2011

by Lowtax
Can anyone remember a gif of sonic the hedgehog reduced to a skeleton underwater, being bounced back and forth between two springs? Was this a goon creation?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

How waterproof are folding knives? I have a river trip coming up and need a knife that can get absolutely soaked every single day for weeks on end with no ill effects. I have an old Buck hunting knife (something like this but from the 80s) that I just rediscovered in some old boxes – if I bring it along, am I going to ruin it? The brass and wood are already scratched all to hell, so I don't care about that, but I'm not sure if the inner workings of the knife will get all messed up.

I had a lovely Gerber on my last trip that started to rust and became terribly difficult to open after only a week. :argh:

e: Well crap, this page makes me think I'm going to mess it up. Any recommendations for folding knives that can stand a lot of water?

kedo fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 10, 2014

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

kedo posted:

How waterproof are folding knives?

The water-resistance of a knife will be related to what metals it's made of, which is not super easy to identify for most people. A carbon steel knife will rust pretty quickly if it's not kept dry and/or oiled. Stainless will rust less quickly or not at all, depending on the type of stainless alloy. Carbon steel is generally stronger / less brittle than stainless. Knives are available in both flavors and each type has tons of different grades. On top of that, there are ceramic, titanium and other types of blades out there.

Just grab a cheap folding (or fixed blade) diver's knife off Amazon or something if you have the time. They're made specifically to be used in wet environments and also tend to feature good grips to make sure you don't slip and cut yourself.

Edit: If you do this kind of trip on a yearly basis, you might consider investing a bit more in the quality of the knife you're getting, as it seems like there are a lot of options.

Edit 2: Added some more information to specifically answer the actual question.

Marathanes fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 10, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

How waterproof are folding knives? I have a river trip coming up and need a knife that can get absolutely soaked every single day for weeks on end with no ill effects. I have an old Buck hunting knife (something like this but from the 80s) that I just rediscovered in some old boxes – if I bring it along, am I going to ruin it? The brass and wood are already scratched all to hell, so I don't care about that, but I'm not sure if the inner workings of the knife will get all messed up.

I had a lovely Gerber on my last trip that started to rust and became terribly difficult to open after only a week. :argh:

e: Well crap, this page makes me think I'm going to mess it up. Any recommendations for folding knives that can stand a lot of water?

High end dive knives are generally titanium. There are nickel ones as well, but they don't hold their shape well since it's so much softer than steel. Dive knives are generally sheathed (I've never heard of a folding one before), but Kershaw or Benchmade probably has something similar. It will likely be very very expensive too.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I can find titanium blade folding dive knives at less than $30 in 5 minutes of Google-fu. I can't speak to the quality but I'd figure they'd be good enough for one trip, at least.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Marathanes posted:

I can find titanium blade folding dive knives at less than $30 in 5 minutes of Google-fu. I can't speak to the quality but I'd figure they'd be good enough for one trip, at least.

At that price, it is not titanium. Maybe a titianium coated knife edge.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanks very much! Folding is definitely preferable for me since it'll spend most of its time in a pocket on my lifejacket or in some shorts, but a diving knife is a good call. I'll keep an eye out for titanium blades.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

kedo posted:

If you get a dive knife (there are plenty of folding ones available), and prep it by soaking it in some kind of penetrant rust preventative (WD-40 in a pinch but a proper marine protectant), then it will be able to handle being wet with fresh water more or less indefinitely. Fresh water rinsing is the proper maintenance for a dive knife that goes in slat water after all.

If you don't need a folding knife, then you can even skip the prep step.

Depending on what you are using the knife for, you can even go with a steak knife. A blunt tip steak knife in a sheath has been found to be one of the best options for a dive knife, because it is flexible, light, sharp, and cheap, and already has a handle we are used to. Get a couple of these and a a canvas sheath and you will be set. AAnd if you lose them, you can get a new one at any thrift store.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I know Spyderco has some folding knives made with special saltwater resistant stainless steel like the Salt line. I presume other manufacturers will as well. Ask the TFR knife thread.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Base Emitter posted:

I know Spyderco has some folding knives made with special saltwater resistant stainless steel like the Salt line. I presume other manufacturers will as well. Ask the TFR knife thread.

"Special saltwater resistant stainless steel" sounds like a metallurgy joke and no, I'm not kidding.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
"H1 is a PH steel meaning it is a precipitation-processed alloy, that's rolled hard without heat-treating and has .1% nitrogen which acts like carbon in the steel matrix, but does not react to chlorine making rust."

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=40

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Spyderco posted:

A myth in the knife world is that, out there somewhere exists steel with high-performance cutting abilities that cannot rust. A Japanese steel foundry recently turned this myth into reality with the introduction of a steel they call H1.
Yeah, that sounds like bullshit.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

LivesInGrey posted:

Electric bikini area trimmer, bonus if it lets you adjust the length. Anything electric without a guard of some sort can cause lovely little holes in your thigh or more sensitive places if you're not careful. Let's just say I learned this the hard way.

Cakefool posted:

There are creams you can use, but you won't know until you buy it whether you'll have a sensitivity / reaction to it. Buy one and try it on a small area, it doesn't have to be specific to bikini area or men. Heed the time earnings on the packet, don't think "five minutes? Pussy. My man hair is so manly it requires twenty minutes". Doing this will apparently burn your bollocks off.

Thank you. Yeah, no chances with down there. Thanks.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Ok, this may not be the best place to ask, but I have a specific chemistry question about a reaction.

I'm working in a summer (philosophy) camp and we're running this activity: Campers are given vials full of an inert substance, one vial is full of something that is reactive but needs to be colourless and odourless. The campers mingle and exchange small amounts of liquid. At the end, the vials are tested by adding a chemical to the vials, the chemical reacts to vials with some of the reactive substance and changes colour or catches on fire or something.

I think vinegar, water, and baking soda are out. I kind of want to use sodium metal and an acid that doesn't smell, if it exists, because that will cause fire, right?

Can anyone think of two chemicals that will work the way we're intending? Obviously safety is a concern so super strong acids or bases will need us to change the activity a bit with droppers and gloves or something.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

tuyop posted:

The campers mingle and exchange small amounts of liquid.

Good to know summer camp hasn't changed from when I was a kid.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
A while back I asked if I should do a fresh reinstall of my PC if I replaced the mobo + CPU, well in the end I didn't have to cause the GPU was my issue. This time though my motherboard did just die on me (At least, I'm confident that it did...), I'm going to replace it but my question is: Seeing that I can't actually get the PC to boot up to do the reinstall what're my options? Do I just go through and replace the mobo and cpu and then boot it up with the boot disc inside? What would happen if instead of doing the reinstall I just replaced the parts and ran it through to try and grab a few files before I wipe it?

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

tuyop posted:

Ok, this may not be the best place to ask, but I have a specific chemistry question about a reaction.

I'm working in a summer (philosophy) camp and we're running this activity: Campers are given vials full of an inert substance, one vial is full of something that is reactive but needs to be colourless and odourless. The campers mingle and exchange small amounts of liquid. At the end, the vials are tested by adding a chemical to the vials, the chemical reacts to vials with some of the reactive substance and changes colour or catches on fire or something.

I think vinegar, water, and baking soda are out. I kind of want to use sodium metal and an acid that doesn't smell, if it exists, because that will cause fire, right?

Can anyone think of two chemicals that will work the way we're intending? Obviously safety is a concern so super strong acids or bases will need us to change the activity a bit with droppers and gloves or something.

Diet coke and Mentos would be the obvious, fun one.

There was one I saw once that involved a Gummi Bear, sulfuric acid, and potassium chloride but that might be a little dangerous. Google that though; there might be a safe way to do it and the Gummi Bear adds that fun factor.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Good to know summer camp hasn't changed from when I was a kid.

Nice.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

tuyop posted:

Ah the classic std game.

NaOH and phenol red. Or white vinegar and ph test strips.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
How would I figure out the approximate latitude/longitude of the corners of the continental US?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

the posted:

How would I figure out the approximate latitude/longitude of the corners of the continental US?

Go to Google Maps, eyeball it and click where you think the corner should be. It'll plop the coordinates into the search field.

For example, here I just eyeballed the northeastern most corner:

The dark gray dot is where I clicked.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Leal posted:

A while back I asked if I should do a fresh reinstall of my PC if I replaced the mobo + CPU, well in the end I didn't have to cause the GPU was my issue. This time though my motherboard did just die on me (At least, I'm confident that it did...), I'm going to replace it but my question is: Seeing that I can't actually get the PC to boot up to do the reinstall what're my options? Do I just go through and replace the mobo and cpu and then boot it up with the boot disc inside? What would happen if instead of doing the reinstall I just replaced the parts and ran it through to try and grab a few files before I wipe it?

If your replacing it with the same motherboard then you will probably be fine. Also it depends on what your operating system is. Newer Microsoft stuff like Windows 7 and 8 are better at parts changing and it adapting. Not sure about the different *nix flavors out there.

Either way your best bet is to swap the board out and try to boot into windows. If it wont boot because it doesnt like the board change then you will have to reinstall the OS.

Also if you can get a new hard drive (do yourself a favor and upgrade to a SSD) you can probably get all your files off the old one by putting it in as a 2nd drive. You can also get a very handy adapter like this one on Amazon for about $20 that will allow you to plug it in as a USB drive on any computer. I just grabbed the first link I could so read reveiews. I don't know if that one is any good or not.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

"Philosophy camp?"

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Hummingbirds posted:

"Philosophy camp?"

The kids need that on their resume so they can get into that magnet middle school, so they can get into the IB program at the high school, so they can get accepted at Harvard and go on to cure cancer. You want a cure for cancer, right?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Trastion posted:

Also if you can get a new hard drive (do yourself a favor and upgrade to a SSD) you can probably get all your files off the old one by putting it in as a 2nd drive. You can also get a very handy adapter like this one on Amazon for about $20 that will allow you to plug it in as a USB drive on any computer. I just grabbed the first link I could so read reveiews. I don't know if that one is any good or not.

As an additional bit of information, when you reinstall Windows (7 or 8), only have one drive connected to the computer. Windows likes to put goofy partitioning schemes and boot sectors on all connected drives, which can make for nightmares down the road if you ever decide to reformat your "spare" drive. After you've installed Windows, then plug in your other/spare drives and all will be well.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Has anyone here taken Rogaine or Propecia?

I know I should just age gracefully an all that jazz, but on the other hand...gently caress that. I'm getting a bald spot on my crown, and I feel I'm too young for that.

My understanding is that Rogaine doesn't regrow hair, it can only help you keep the hair you've got, yes? Whereas Propecia does have a chance at regrowing it, but it's prescription only, and possibly more expensive?

Could I, in theory, go on Propecia for a couple years to regrow the little but of hair that'/s gone, then switch to Rogaine to keep it?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

Has anyone here taken Rogaine or Propecia?

I know I should just age gracefully an all that jazz, but on the other hand...gently caress that. I'm getting a bald spot on my crown, and I feel I'm too young for that.

My understanding is that Rogaine doesn't regrow hair, it can only help you keep the hair you've got, yes? Whereas Propecia does have a chance at regrowing it, but it's prescription only, and possibly more expensive?

Could I, in theory, go on Propecia for a couple years to regrow the little but of hair that'/s gone, then switch to Rogaine to keep it?
I don't take either, I have, however, looked into both. They both can have some pretty serious side effects (including sexual side effects, which kind of defeats the purpose), and from what I understand, once you stop taking them, any benefit you've had from them disappears.

That being said, the two drugs are significantly more effective when used together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Also, you can't use Rogaine if you have a cat as it's incredibly toxic to them.