Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I ....like...the Aztek...:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I ....like...the Aztek...:ohdear:

The Aztek is cool.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

PCOS Bill posted:

The Aztek is cool.
Can anyone correlate "Coolness of Aztek" against "Broadcast of Breaking Bad" somehow?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

Big downgrade in the utility department though.. those wagons have a ton of space back there without modifications.

And utility is the only reason anyone would willingly own one of those, right?

My old man thinks the jellybean Taurus looks FANTASTIC and I fear it's early-onset dementia.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

Can anyone correlate "Coolness of Aztek" against "Broadcast of Breaking Bad" somehow?

I've only seen the first episode of BB as the series was coming to a close . I liked Azteks before that

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
What i'm most surprised about with that video is that he has a left hand drive skyline.

This kind of thing is amazing to me

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Nice TT

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Barely uglier than the real thing

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PCOS Bill posted:

I've only seen the first episode of BB as the series was coming to a close . I liked Azteks before that

I only saw the first season and I liked Aztek's when they first came out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Protocol7 posted:

I forgot I have this gem of a photo containing lovely people in my neighborhood with lovely taste.

Although I appreciate the quality of the paintjob on that Mini Cooper? I can't say I like, well, anything else about the two cars.

jamal posted:

Think he has a hellaflush M3 with a bunch of stick on carbon fiber.

Wally Joyner posted:

Was that vinyl wrapped or chemically worn? I know Rusty Slammington (?) used diesel on his paint, but it doesn't look like it came from the same process on the mini.

Funny story, I know the guy who did this work from another forum. That's airbrushed and rattle canned, freehand. He's a loving artist... does tattoos too.

I don't agree with some of the style decisions (suspension, stickers, etc) on that car but the paintjob is a work of art.

Here's some better pictures he posted of it in-progress and after it won best exterior at a show in Denver:

KRONIK;246095516 posted:

Since we are on the subject of paint. Here is what I did today.
My friends Mini Cooper. I have about 15 hours in on paint total.
All rattle can and airbrush.

KRONIK;246095588 posted:

Here's a couple more pics my buddy got last night.
I'm really happy with how it's turning out.

KRONIK;246095743 posted:

^^^ lol. No more serious. Sorry frank. On a completely different subject. Turns out my grandma is getting a boxer puppy from the same people and litter as your pup. Small world.

And on a lighter note. Here is a pic of my buddies mini after today.
His uncle installed the vinyl hood wrap and teeth on the side.
It should make more sense now.

KRONIK;246098868 posted:

Must have done something right. He won best exterior today at the big car show in Denver.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good god that rear rvisibility.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

powderific posted:

Speaking of Taurus wagons (or Sables in this case), this parks near me sometimes:

The important question here is, did they wire up the rear window defrost?

BTW, whoever it was that said the '96 Mercury Sable is the ovalest thing ever, how can you say that when the Taurus had an oval rear windshield and the Sable didn't?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

veedubfreak posted:

These always reminded me of a tick that was completely full and about to pop.

I've always felt they looked like a normal car that melted in the sun

Also despite being 90's round as gently caress I just can't bring myself to hate the Toyota Previa

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

powderific posted:

Speaking of Taurus wagons (or Sables in this case), this parks near me sometimes:

This is in thewrong thread only if they installed jacuzzi jets and fill the 'bed' with hot water. At the very least, it looks slightly less dangerous than El Cavaliero.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

8ender posted:

Also despite being 90's round as gently caress I just can't bring myself to hate the Toyota Previa

Probably because it's a mid engine manual supercharged all wheel drive (not all together though) minivan that weighs less than some modern sports cars.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Probably because it's a mid engine manual supercharged all wheel drive (not all together though) minivan that weighs less than some modern sports cars.

And could carry 4x8 plywood with ease in a platform originally shared with the Corolla, in style. An unmolested Previa definitely doesn't belong in this thread.

The Aztek on the other hand was dogshit and deserved every bit of abuse it got.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Snowdens Secret posted:

And could carry 4x8 plywood with ease in a platform originally shared with the Corolla, in style. An unmolested Previa definitely doesn't belong in this thread.

No Previa/Estima has ever shared anything with a Corolla

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Aztek on the other hand was dogshit and deserved every bit of abuse it got.

One of my coworkers used to have a Buick Rendezvous. One day he made an Aztek joke.

"Well actually..." (pulls up GIS)

He doesn't have it anymore, obviously.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

davebo posted:

I will say that at the time it was pretty neat that I could remove the key from the ignition and the radio would stay on until you opened the doors. Something that for some reason our '98 Malibu the next year could also do but that my used '98 Corvette still doesn't. How did GM have the radio on technology in a '97 Buick and not bother putting it in their Corvette?

My MKV GTI would leave the radio playing until I opened the doors. I stuck the radio from a MKVI in there and it turns off when I turn the engine off, not even waiting for me to pull the key. (It acts the same way in my friend's MKVI GTI, so it's not just that I stuffed a radio into a car it wasn't made for). Sucks for when you arrive somewhere and want to listen to the last few minutes of a song/podcast and have to sit there with the engine running and the car in neutral.

On the plus side, I can turn the radio on without having the key in the ignition and it will play for 20 minutes before shutting itself off to keep from draining the battery. But that just makes me wonder even more why it shuts off with the engine.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

My MKV GTI would leave the radio playing until I opened the doors. I stuck the radio from a MKVI in there and it turns off when I turn the engine off, not even waiting for me to pull the key. (It acts the same way in my friend's MKVI GTI, so it's not just that I stuffed a radio into a car it wasn't made for). Sucks for when you arrive somewhere and want to listen to the last few minutes of a song/podcast and have to sit there with the engine running and the car in neutral.

On the plus side, I can turn the radio on without having the key in the ignition and it will play for 20 minutes before shutting itself off to keep from draining the battery. But that just makes me wonder even more why it shuts off with the engine.

Do you not have a key position between off and on for accessory that it'll stay on still if you put it to?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
In my experience the radio will run when the key is in the run position, regardless of whether or not the engine is running. Why not just click the car off and turn the key back to the run position to listen to those last minutes of podcast or whatever?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Or you can have a VW from anywhere between the 60's and early 90's with an un-switched hot lead as the only power to the deck. Convenient to be able to turn the radio on whenever you feel, but if you let a dumb idiot borrow your car, chances are they'll leave you with a dead battery the next day.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

kastein posted:

Funny story, I know the guy who did this work from another forum. That's airbrushed and rattle canned, freehand. He's a loving artist... does tattoos too.

I don't agree with some of the style decisions (suspension, stickers, etc) on that car but the paintjob is a work of art.

Here's some better pictures he posted of it in-progress and after it won best exterior at a show in Denver:

Now with Bosuzuku oil cooler! I like how the reverse sensors were worked into the painting though. That's a cool touch.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Did not know they were like that. Even my beetle has a switched lead.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I've owned 5 VWs from a '74 through '93 and none had switched power, even the last one with the "premium audio" package tied into the security system. I just figured it was a thing across the board until the MK3's came out.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PCOS Bill posted:

Do you not have a key position between off and on for accessory that it'll stay on still if you put it to?

Nope, Off, Run, Start. No accessory.

Geirskogul posted:

In my experience the radio will run when the key is in the run position, regardless of whether or not the engine is running. Why not just click the car off and turn the key back to the run position to listen to those last minutes of podcast or whatever?

I do that (like I said, it just works with the key out of the ignition, so I don't even need to turn the key back), but the stereo has to boot back up when it's turned off and sometimes it takes up to a minute for the SD card to be read (and sometimes it's instant...don't get it). It's easier just to sit with the car running more often than not.

NoWake posted:

Or you can have a VW from anywhere between the 60's and early 90's with an un-switched hot lead as the only power to the deck. Convenient to be able to turn the radio on whenever you feel, but if you let a dumb idiot borrow your car, chances are they'll leave you with a dead battery the next day.

Yeah, I can do that, but it turns itself off after 20 minutes to prevent dead batteries. If only it didn't also turn itself off with the engine.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 11, 2014

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
And then we got this, a Ford Scorpio Mk. II:

The rear of the car has been described a fat woman wearing a thong.

Besides from the design, it was an ok-ish car.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

8ender posted:

Try working on one, you'll change your tune in a hurry.

Wild EEPROM posted:

Yes except the supercharged engine made all of 160-odd horsepower and it somehow replicates the handling of a body-on-frame 4x4 without being body on frame or a 4x4. Those are seriously one of the worst cars I've ever worked on or driven and their only redeeming quality is good reliability compared to similar vehicles from other brands; their reliability compared to other toyotas of the time is still dismal.

They are terrible and absolutely belong in this thread and I'll wager noone who has actually driven one of the stupid things is impressed by the AWDSCPEOPLECARRIER bullshit that gets spouted every single time they're brought up. I'm sorry snowden, they are garbage. The later FWD generation, whilst being more 'boring' is an order of magnitude superior in every measurable way believe me.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Slavvy posted:

Try working on one, you'll change your tune in a hurry.

I have. When I asked how we get to the engine and he revealed the hatch below the drivers seat I knew immediately the rabbit hole i'd gone down.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Here, have a pickup-converted lifted VW transporter on offroad tires. (Not absolutely sure if this is the right thread, though - I kind of like it. )

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Computer viking posted:

Here, have a pickup-converted lifted VW transporter on offroad tires. (Not absolutely sure if this is the right thread, though - I kind of like it. )

I think the pickup body with both short and extended cabs was a factory option on T3 Transporters. It's been a while since I've seen one in the wild, though.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Crotch Fruit posted:

This is in thewrong thread only if they installed jacuzzi jets and fill the 'bed' with hot water. At the very least, it looks slightly less dangerous than El Cavaliero.

Only thing I'd change is how they cut out the hatchback section - just follow the window shape and put in slightly angled glass (and take out the godawful "rivets" or whatever those are on the black parts)

Boom, Ford RANCHAURUS (or TAURANCHERO?)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ozz81 posted:

Only thing I'd change is how they cut out the hatchback section - just follow the window shape and put in slightly angled glass

Wouldn't that be an issue for any people sitting in the rear seats? That pillar seems quite angled. I also love how the center brake light is facing upwards.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Weird, yesterday I drove by a house with 3 of those 1980's VW vans parked in front of it, though largely stock. And while on the highway, I saw a 90's Mercury Sable with some kind of aftermarket soft top poorly attached to it.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Tonton Macoute posted:

I think the pickup body with both short and extended cabs was a factory option on T3 Transporters. It's been a while since I've seen one in the wild, though.

It was for sure on the old split window type 2. Not sure if Vanagons ever had a truck version though. Looks close to stock so either it's well done or its original.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I should have checked wikipedia first -it agrees that there was a pickup variant of the T3. Ah well, still kind of odd. :)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I remember the "chicken tax" applying to the pickup version of the split T2, which is why there are not a lot of them in the US. Did that apply all the way down to the T3?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Audi keeps re-making the TT, and newsflash Audi: The Ur-Quattro will always look better than your new Coupes.

Just stop.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

CommieGIR posted:

Audi keeps re-making the TT, and newsflash Audi: The Ur-Quattro will always look better than your new Coupes.

Just stop.

That's a Mitsubishi Eclipse.