Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Why'd you do that anyway?

Because as a Marshal I ahve two categories of responsibility: "community management" and balance suggestions. The latter has been a fruitless venture for a while so all that was left was the former and I couldn't do it properly without actual proof to back up the "just trust us guys!" slogans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Tulip posted:

I've been out of the game since not long after release so maybe i've forfeited my right to an opinion but i can't name any way in which this sounds like a good idea. Morale is already an arcane mechanic to most players and this just adds a layer of obscurantism that appeals to grogs who think they should have gameplay advantages because of their masturbation material of choice. The tank price model is hosed like 10 different ways, how is this going to make it easier to balance? How does this address any of the core mechanical issues confronting Wargame, save possibly adding another thing to piss people off so they get further from doing the boring parts of balance? Just as somebody who likes good game design it's ugly and really discouraging to see from a developer that i thought, briefly, had competence.
Also i just want to stick it to those grogs because gently caress 'em.

OK more specifically did they ever get their heads out of their asses on "all radar missiles should have identical ROF" because holy poo poo what a dumb change.

As one who played ALB a lot and never got into RD due to getting tired of men in houses and all SF olympics, have they fixed the completely retarded mechanism of teleporting between houses?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Did they ever give a rough estimate of the DLC date? Are we talking this month? Or like just some point in the summer still?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cardiac posted:

As one who played ALB a lot and never got into RD due to getting tired of men in houses and all SF olympics, have they fixed the completely retarded mechanism of teleporting between houses?

Nope. In fact, just used that strategy with some SF and shock infantry to bounce around a small city in a 10v10. Morskaya Pehota bagged themselves two 2A1's doing this.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I never understand people who "skip" games, like yeah RD isn't perfect but it's still one of the best RTS games I have played since the first Company of Heroes, why wouldn't you just buy it and have fun playing with goons? Eugen isn't even going to make any more Wargames after this one anyway so you might as well get it while it's hot.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Why'd you do that anyway?

Because gently caress the police.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Cardiac posted:

They put some delay or something in to try and stop it. You can't zip across the entire map in 15s anymore but it's still basically there, in a moderately slower form. It' probably a lot better than it once was however.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cardiac posted:

SF have had a big nerf and house teleporting has been slowed down to the point that it's really too annoying to put in the micro to warp-walk across a town and it's not a whole lot faster than just regular walking. The game is definitely a lot better than it was when it came out.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

SF have had a big nerf and house teleporting has been slowed down to the point that it's really too annoying to put in the micro to warp-walk across a town and it's not a whole lot faster than just regular walking. The game is definitely a lot better than it was when it came out.

Nerfed in which way?
Can you actually send in a lot of line troops and root them out, or is it still SF olympics?
The tipping point was a infuriating game where Li Jians were teleporting around in a city attacking troops and disappearing back and forth like ninjas.
Completely ridiculous really.

My interest in the game also sort of disappeared once you realized that unless you played with goons, 10vs10 was the only way to go, since the smaller matches are already rigged by one side and you invariably end up on the team with players that just call in arty and planes and then quits the game. Getting a good game suddenly ended up taking a lot more effort than just loading the game and getting into a match.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
well napalm rockets have minimum range now so they arn't completely dominant in urban combat.

the teleport delay means you can't be a complete ninja.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cardiac posted:

Nerfed in which way?
Can you actually send in a lot of line troops and root them out, or is it still SF olympics?
The tipping point was a infuriating game where Li Jians were teleporting around in a city attacking troops and disappearing back and forth like ninjas.
Completely ridiculous really.

My interest in the game also sort of disappeared once you realized that unless you played with goons, 10vs10 was the only way to go, since the smaller matches are already rigged by one side and you invariably end up on the team with players that just call in arty and planes and then quits the game. Getting a good game suddenly ended up taking a lot more effort than just loading the game and getting into a match.

Special Forces got a big nerf to damage output across the board. The stacked team things is still a big problem though. If there was a team matchmaking thing it would be nice but I doubt anyone is going to do any work on netcode ever.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm starting to think madmatt might be a loving idiot.

"Oh we can't reveal information to keep the playerbase excited and confident because the shitposters will shitpost about it"

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

I'm starting to think madmatt might be a loving idiot.

"Oh we can't reveal information to keep the playerbase excited and confident because the shitposters will shitpost about it"

No, he's actually right. Even people who are not normally bad posters start to have really bad opinions when they look at changes they've never played. Then people get to the real patch with lovely opinions instead of an open mind. The community is extraordinarily toxic and hiveminded and it really would ruin the patch and DLC if the whole changelog were posted.

I think limited leaks such as by Vasily are acceptable to generate some excitement--especially the Leo 2/T-80B image for example, but it's pretty retarded to call madmatt a "loving idiot" for strictly disallowing leaks when you consider how hosed up, nationalistic, and toxic the community is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I can understand Mad Matt reaching his conclusion because the Wargame forums are terrible. We've got two dozen fairly civil guys in this thread who like wargame. They've got a pack of raving poo poo-caked lunatics who rock back and forth screaming about the armory 24/7.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, from dealing with 'em he's not a bad dude. The communities over there really are pretty toxic, I try and only post when hopped on on as much caffeine as I can to tolerate their lame poo poo :P

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
On the other hand, Xerxes was the one leading the charge on actual quantitative analysis of unit balance, which apparently Eugen never bothered to try.

I don't agree with him on remotely close to everything but I suspect I would enjoy the game a lot more if he were the one setting unit prices.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Mortabis posted:

On the other hand, Xerxes was the one leading the charge on actual quantitative analysis of unit balance.

Word. Eugen bought in some new dudes though to try and fill that gap. Straight-up competitive guys, who won the cash tourney awhile back.

If its any consolation, I interpret that as 2 top-tier guys needed to do 1 former Marshall's job :P

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Since the game isn't competitive at all it doesn't really mean all that much if you're on top in some tournament. I don't know who these guys are but I hope Eugen doesn't think that being high rank or winning tournies means you're an authority on balance. They ought to pick people who speak sense and back it up. (for all I know they did)

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

They're the guys who did the Steel Kings mod, more or less. So expect the patch to implement alot of those features.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Agreed, I used to pay attention to the big names when I was active in ranked and there were a few players high on the boards who really didn't have good opinions at all after seeing them post. Then again there were a few who really did understand the game and knew how to argue in an unbiased way, i.e. Tigga used to be one of these (in EE he was legit great, not so much in ALB, especially post-Conquest)

Also, it depends on how these guys plan to fix the game, because I can flat tell you if they are after fixing ranked + competitive play, the only solution is to kill mixed decks, either by straight removing them, or making them horribly limited in capability. There is zero other solutions to that problem because you learn very quickly its not the high end prototypes that win ranked games. It's access to the cheapest, most broken poo poo you can shove into a deck.

EDIT: Okay, Sleksa and Daywalker are pretty solid choices in that regard. Good to hear.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 10, 2014

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Well speaking to them before with regards to uralmod, they were in favour of either mass-prototyping or removing mixed all together.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Shanakin posted:

Well speaking to them before with regards to uralmod, they were in favour of either mass-prototyping or removing mixed all together.

Yeah, I've seen Sleksa post and chatted with Day a bit during a ALB ranked game, and they were 2 of the better pubbies I've seen in regards to actually understanding gameplay. I don't doubt they understand the mixed deck problem as well as anyone.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm curious how the tank selection for the Scandinavians will work out in their DLC. Judging by what I've been reading on the forums, both the Strv 122 and barely past the drawing board Strv 2000 are out.

So wouldn't that leave them as literally the only coalition without a heavy tank? I mean some new Leo 1s are cool and stuff, but not having any decent damage sinks could be pretty tough.

Unless Eugen overhauls it all again with the accompanying patch for that DLC...

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So wouldn't that leave them as literally the only coalition without a heavy tank?

Yep. Their best tanks will basically be Leopard 1A5s, I guess. Atleast they'll have cool planes?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
They should really just drop the pretensions of alternate history or whatever and hand over strv 121s.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

What are some obvious units that will be in the Scandinavian DLC anyway? Other than the Gripen, since that's all I really know about.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
If the Scandinavian DLC doesn't include Leopard 2s Strv 2000s or some other heavy tank and Gripens for Sweden, I'm going to find it difficult to get excited about it. At least they'll get some CV9040 variants? CV9040 AA APC would be pretty sick I suppose, and maybe CV90-120s bringing the AT power.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
It's been rumored that Denmark is getting some Italian 76mm SPAAG which will be the only SPAAG with more than 1 HE. It's never been in use by Denmark, so don't ask me why they're getting it but not a Strv 121/122. :shrug:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dezztroy posted:

It's been rumored that Denmark is getting some Italian 76mm SPAAG which will be the only SPAAG with more than 1 HE. It's never been in use by Denmark, so don't ask me why they're getting it but not a Strv 121/122. :shrug:

They've been pushing the line that the only reason anyone else got the Leo 2 was because the wall fell.

Which doesn't explain why they couldn't get the wacky Strv 2000 which could have been produced if the wall didn't fall. Although I've always been of the mind even things like the Chimera should be more common if it means better gameplay and balance.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Also because the Chimera is hilarious. Not, of course, that the decisions behind who gets what units actually make sense, especially now that we're into 90s alt-history. I'm sure there are plenty of arguments among the spergs there in Eugen's own offices along "we should put fun units in" vs. "we should put realistic units in" lines--and I think there's at least one person on staff who pushes for more funky Italian export gear to show up.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Can't say I much like units like the Chimera. I wanna have Abrams and T-80s and Leopards and all the other cool cold war things going at it. Prototypes are fine in moderation but they shouldn't be faction-defining must have units because it's just kinda lame when it's all bizarrotanks.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chantilly Say posted:

Also because the Chimera is hilarious. Not, of course, that the decisions behind who gets what units actually make sense, especially now that we're into 90s alt-history. I'm sure there are plenty of arguments among the spergs there in Eugen's own offices along "we should put fun units in" vs. "we should put realistic units in" lines--and I think there's at least one person on staff who pushes for more funky Italian export gear to show up.

All the Marshalls (that I can think of at least) would prefer that era-appropriate tanks were priced to be most appealing, but its continually shot-down :(

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Having quirky units makes the factions actually different. A lot of options are never going to be part of competitive tryhard decks and a lot of factions won't be viable top tier options even if they get their own versions of everything. Since it's pointless going in that direction, they might as well entertain the people looking for flamethrower helicopters for loving around in 10v10.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Dandywalken posted:

All the Marshalls (that I can think of at least) would prefer that era-appropriate tanks were priced to be most appealing, but its continually shot-down :(

The only way I can see they could pull that off would be to get rid of the T-55s and Centurions altogether, and they don't want to do that.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Grad being re-rolled as a large area napalm weapon? Please?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't think the game really needs any more napalm artillery.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't think the game really needs any more napalm artillery.

Yeah, absolutely not. They're already extremely good at their niche and have a short enough max range to put them in danger, they don't need to be hosed with.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Rumour has it there will be a lot more napalm and cluster artillery after the dlc goes live.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Shanakin posted:

Rumour has it there will be a lot more napalm and cluster artillery after the dlc goes live.

This is the first change I've heard that doesn't sound good, at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't know, effective rocket artillery is currently very concentrated. The German MARS can barely do the counterbattery role -- usually you need two to get kills, and the French and Blue Dragon MLRS might as well not even exist. Same goes for NSWP. Aside from the BM-24 which doesn't need a buff. Right now US and USSR has borderline OP rocket artillery, Germany has okay rocket artillery, China has the napalm niche, and everyone else is stuck with useless 6 HE rocket artillery or the BM-24.

Nerf ATACMS basically is what I'm saying, and then we can get on with handing out more rocket artillery.

• Locked thread