Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PepperSinclaire
Jan 21, 2007

But everyone's doooing it!

magnificent7 posted:

Maybe it's time to set it aside and just write another book. Cleanse the palate.

This is a really good way to feel better about your writing - just move on from your last project. Forget all about it, unless a brilliant idea comes to mind, in which case note it down for when you start editing, and keep on forgetting.

Write something new. Read things that have nothing to do with your finished work. Then come back to it with a fresh mindset after a week or two minimum.

I started in on my third novel the day after I finished the first draft of my second. It feels really good to be writing new characters and situations. And now I'm editing novel #2 as a break from the writing.

Write, revise, write. All the time. And if you come back to a previous work which you think is a stinker, you've been writing a new piece for however long. I've got a ton of stories which I'll never do anything with, but they helped me get to where I am now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

magnificent7 posted:

You guys are amazing writers, but I don't get your stories. I can't get through them. Your feedback is always fantastic, but the stories you write in TD - the ones that win, that are leading the curve, that's some literary stuff that's beyond me. And y'all tend to get seriously hostile when a person intentionally counters your advice.

I realize I'm exposing myself to the wrath of Sebmo, Rhino, Crabrock, Systran, Muffin, Mercedes and all the other top-level contributors in this forum by saying this stuff, but all too often you guys intimidate the poo poo out of me as a creative person, trying to find my own voice.

I don't need hugs and a big gold star sticker on my shirt, but goddamn. What's keeping me from writing right now? Internal conflict between my vision, and overwhelming feedback from people whose writing I admire, but don't understand.

Thunderdome? Literary? "Top-level contributors"? CC people's "Overwhelming feedback" is what's keeping your from writing right now?

Mag7, I actually like the cut of your jib most of the time, but if the above things are impeding your ability or motivation to write, you need to take a step back from this thread.

I don't think anyone gets mad when someone doesn't take their advice. I think people get mad when someone posts a question and then spends more time contradicting people who're trying to help them than they do writing. And at the end of the day, "talking shop" is not nearly as helpful as actual crits, so this thread can feel a little bit like spinning wheels in the mud.

Regarding getting motivated to write: I guess I'm one of the rare people who is totally inspired by someone sitting on my shoulder critting my every word as I put it on the paper. As systran mentioned, a bunch of us were in a pretty serious writing group for a while, and I hit levels of productivity that I'd never managed before then and haven't managed since.

I miss u WADers

I think this thread would work a lot better if we accepted that sometimes it's just a place for people to come vent about their writing, and if people didn't take everything so personally. Just my 2 cents well cya.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Sitting Here posted:

Thunderdome? Literary? "Top-level contributors"? CC people's "Overwhelming feedback" is what's keeping your from writing right now?

Mag7, I actually like the cut of your jib most of the time, but if the above things are impeding your ability or motivation to write, you need to take a step back from this thread.

I don't think anyone gets mad when someone doesn't take their advice. I think people get mad when someone posts a question and then spends more time contradicting people who're trying to help them than they do writing. And at the end of the day, "talking shop" is not nearly as helpful as actual crits, so this thread can feel a little bit like spinning wheels in the mud.

Regarding getting motivated to write: I guess I'm one of the rare people who is totally inspired by someone sitting on my shoulder critting my every word as I put it on the paper. As systran mentioned, a bunch of us were in a pretty serious writing group for a while, and I hit levels of productivity that I'd never managed before then and haven't managed since.

I miss u WADers

I think this thread would work a lot better if we accepted that sometimes it's just a place for people to come vent about their writing, and if people didn't take everything so personally. Just my 2 cents well cya.

I get what you're saying but one of of the guys in the sister thread did tell me not to question his critiques before he moved on to the next one.This is odd because some of us want a bit of give or take we can think about instead of simple editing.

Ps. He didn't edit anything. I think he meant that I shouldn't get touchy about advised corrections/ "excuses".

How would you guys handle train of thought? How does it fare when the writer is playing with omission?

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 11, 2014

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Sithsaber posted:

I get what you're saying but one of of the guys in the sister thread did tell me not to question his critiques before he moved on to the next one.This is odd because some of us want a bit of give or take we can think about instead of simple editing.

Ps. He didn't edit anything. I think he meant that I shouldn't get touchy about advised corrections/ "excuses".

How would you guys handle train of thought? How does it fare when the writer is playing with omission?

I saw Broenheim's reply. He was telling you that he, as the reader and critiquer, doesn't want to hear explanations that aren't contained in the story itself. If you were a professional author, you wouldn't be able to sit there and explain "what you meant" to every single reader of your story, would you? So that's why Broenheim said that.

Like, this subforum is not full of fascists who can't stand to have their critiques questioned. It's full of (mostly) amateur writers who critique other people's writing in their spare time. For free. That's really cool, and while you're free to not take every crit you get into account, we are still readers telling you what we think. What else can you ask for?

Re: Playing with omission: Fine. Omit away. But you're still relying on crits/your readers to tell you "hey, this didn't make sense because I didn't have enough information."

edit: wanting to have an active dialog about your piece is fine, but when you mention multiple times "but guys I like omission!" then people are probably not going to be as patient.

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 11, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Note on the writing group thing: I didn't totally ignore the crits, I wrote each and every one down, reread it later to make sure I understood it, then went off and did whatever the gently caress I wanted, with intent to fix it later.

It's important to process criticism, but also understand that sometimes you've just got to power through for your own sake.

Mag, we don't hate you because you won't follow the rules. We don't hate you period. We just get annoyed that you refuse to even court suggestions. People blow up at you because this keeps happening:

Mag7: I have a problem.
Goons: how about x?
Mag7: no.
Goons: y?
Goons: z?

three days later

Mag7: WHY IS NOBODY TRYING TO HELP ME.

You want to find your own style and don't want people telling you what to do? Cool. Go do that then, but when you're constantly over here asking questions, people are going to answer them, then get annoyed if time after time after time you totally ignore everything they're saying. Stop asking questions if you don't want to hear the answers.

SurreptitiousMuffin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 11, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

magnificent7 posted:

I don't need hugs and a big gold star sticker on my shirt, but goddamn. What's keeping me from writing right now? Internal conflict between my vision, and overwhelming feedback from people whose writing I admire, but don't understand.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I want to address the parts where you say stuff like this:

quote:

“my lovely loving writing”
“Probably because I don't ever loving write.”

Well gently caress you, dude. You have written a nano book, you are reading up techniques to write, you are writing stuff, and you argue with online Internet assholes on writing. So can that totally unkawaii attitude, stop having to make people taunt you or PM to persuade you to keep writing, you ought to (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡 and do what you want to do and try to improve.

So ok please be less tsunderay and more ヽ(〃^▽^〃)ノ.

Jesus.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Let's talk editing and revising. I've read the books--On Writing, Bird by Bird, Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, The Art of Fiction, but I feel like my editing is not strong. When I finish a story, I look back and I fix some minor stuff, but I've never rewrote whole chunks and changed the direction of a piece. Obviously, I'm not a super-genius who gets everything right on the first try. What do you do besides take time off from a story in order to really find out if it is saying what it needs to say? Beyond minor stuff, like making a character's behavior more consistent/clearer, but major thematic concerns and the entire arcs of stories?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

blue squares posted:

Let's talk editing and revising. I've read the books--On Writing, Bird by Bird, Self-Editing for Fiction Writers, The Art of Fiction, but I feel like my editing is not strong. When I finish a story, I look back and I fix some minor stuff, but I've never rewrote whole chunks and changed the direction of a piece. Obviously, I'm not a super-genius who gets everything right on the first try. What do you do besides take time off from a story in order to really find out if it is saying what it needs to say? Beyond minor stuff, like making a character's behavior more consistent/clearer, but major thematic concerns and the entire arcs of stories?

That's where other readers are crucial, I think. The overall structure of a story, particularly a big one, will usually make sense in your own head (and if it doesn't then you've got bigger problems boyo), but if other people fail to grasp certain aspects or find other ones pointless then it may be time to bust out the hatchet instead of the scalpel.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah, I'm transferring finally into a real university (I'm 25) with majors in Rhetoric and Philosophy. I'm really hoping in one of my major classes I'll find a writer who I respect and can form a working relationship with. My area writing groups on meetup are a joke. The creative writing undergrad certificate would obviously be a better a more likely place to find other writers, but it is full for. Maybe I'll be able to add it to my schedule next year if it opens up. By then, though, I may be writing two theses, so chances aren't good.

Also: Does anyone here own a usage dictionary? I've read lots of glowing reviews of Brian Garner's Modern American Usage, but I'm not sure whether it's necessary to own. Any questions I've had have been answered with Google, so I don't know is $28.50 is worth it to have a giant book on my desk instead.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 11, 2014

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!
Brief writing group sidebar, which may or may not help people.

systran posted:

At least you finished your novel. It's more than I can say for myself.

Of the people you listed, all but Mercedes were in a writing group I organized. We were writing at least 1k words per week of a novel, doing required crits, and Skype calls where we did like 2-hour long crits of each other. We stuck with it for close to a year, but it's fallen apart. I dropped out partially because I was burning out and hating my novels, but also because the crits were paralyzing me with fear and indecision.

"I hate your protag," is a common crit I had on both novels that I started and gave up on (one 50k words in) and once you hear something like that it's very difficult to keep going. Every week I would try to make micro adjustments based on things people critiqued, and the result would either be complaints that I went too far in over correcting, or that the original problem was not fixed despite my effort.

It didn't feel like a good way to churn out a first draft. The only one who even finished his draft, Muffin, basically ignored our crits and did whatever the gently caress he wanted. I think a format like that is good for revisions but not for rough drafts.

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Note on the writing group thing: I didn't totally ignore the crits, I wrote each and every one down, reread it later to make sure I understood it, then went off and did whatever the gently caress I wanted, with intent to fix it later.

Sitting Here posted:

I think you, SH and Muffin are all right in different ways.

As a different take on a writing group, I was also part of this group, and I essentially went in having never written creatively before, outside of a couple short stories (and they somehow let me join them). For a new writer, the weekly crits and suggestions changed my writing immensely for the better (not to say that my writing ever approached even a mediocre level, the group was very patient with my terribleness). Having weekly feedback allowed me to fix the horrendous parts of my writing and structure. Also, simply writing 1-2k a week was an amazing motivator, for fear of having to come to the group, hat in hand, and say you didn't write for whatever bullshit reason. Much like SH, my writing production since the group folded has essentially disappeared into a sea of excuses.

I think Muffin and Systran are somewhat saying the same thing, especially for what I might term mid-level writers, as in people who know the basics of how to tell a good story but something isn't quite clicking yet. The weekly feedback isn't really improving your writing itself, but receiving crits as you write can be a very big help. You just have to take the crits, file them away, figure out what should affect future writing, and then apply most of the crits in editing. That said, receiving crits for an edited work can be great also, but I think getting crits as you write it the first time can be extremely helpful if you understand how to process them. I got to crit Muffin both times, and you could really see the results of the first crit sessions reflected in his more polished go at it.

Sitting Here posted:

I miss u WADers

Me too. I miss our Saturday nights.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah me too.

I really wish Systran had been there for the big crit of my second draft, since he loving hated the first draft and I went about the second trying to fix most of the issues that bugged him. He actually stopped reading at a point and said "I do not understand a single thing that is happening here and I just can't crit it," then he wasn't around to see me making it right.

:(

Walamor
Dec 31, 2006

Fork 'em Devils!

Yeah me too.

I really wish Systran had been there for the big crit of my second draft, since he loving hated the first draft and I went about the second trying to fix most of the issues that bugged him. He actually stopped reading at a point and said "I do not understand a single thing that is happening here and I just can't crit it," then he wasn't around to see me making it right.

:(

It was so much better! Did you ever get that artwork commissioned for it?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

It's important to process criticism, but also understand that sometimes you've just got to power through for your own sake.

Mag, we don't hate you because you won't follow the rules. We don't hate you period. We just get annoyed that you refuse to even court suggestions. People blow up at you because this keeps happening:

Mag7: I have a problem.
Goons: how about x?
Goons: y?
Goons: z?

three days later

Mag7: WHY IS NOBODY TRYING TO HELP ME.

You want to find your own style and don't want people telling you what to do? Cool. Go do that then, but when you're constantly over here asking questions, people are going to answer them, then get annoyed if time after time after time you totally ignore everything they're saying. Stop asking questions if you don't want to hear the answers.
You are high. You broke down my obscene use of one-sentence paragraphs and I've followed your advice on that point ever since.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

blue squares posted:

How many of you guys have to drag yourselves to the keyboard rather than away from it? I sometimes get into streaks where I don't want to stop, but often enough one of my last thoughts before I go to bed is "drat it, as soon as I wake up I have to write for an hour." I know I'm good at writing, but sometimes the hardest part of doing it is just doing it. I worry about my longevity.

blue squares posted:

Sounds like you need to hang a calendar over your computer and punish yourself every time you don't meet whatever daily/weekly goal you should set for yourself.

Here comes my dickish sounding side again, but if your (hypothetical you) goal is to become a professional writer, make a living off your writing, how in god's name are you not writing every single day, for hours? How can you play video games when you haven't written? I already did three today after five hours of class. Could I do more? Hell yes, but three hours in a day is okay for me right now. But playing a video game before I did that three? No way. It is already so hard to become one of the very very few that make a living from writing, that if you're not willing to write every day, why bother?

On the other hand, if that's not your goal, that's fine. Do what makes you happy. Me? I don't ever want a real job again.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I disagree with this, because I find it hard to just sit down and write :P

That said, sitting down and writing is a skill you can build with practice. Start by sitting down with a pen in your hand and staring at a piece of paper for 30 minutes.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

You sound like a dick because you don't seem to understand that different things work for different people. It's great that you came home today and wrote a bunch, but not everyone needs to do that every day to become a professional author. And certainly not everyone needs to expect that they should be able to just start doing that or else they'll never make it and should give up. Like...as long as I write at some point today it doesn't really matter if I do it before I play a few video games or not. Sure, for some people taking a break to goof off means they never go back to writing, and those people need to practice both not taking breaks and also getting back to work.

Not to mention 5 hours of class plus 3 hours of writing is not the same as 8 hours of work plus 3 hours of writing. You basically just did a full work day, so go write for 3 more hours I guess? You act like you're doing "enough" and anyone who does less isn't, but that's just not the case.

Re: calendars, self-punishment works great, probably, but if you are the kind of person who ignores self-imposed deadlines, like me, chances are you might ignore self-imposed punishment schemes as well (I do!). You might think that means I'll never make it, but really, there are lots of other ways to make it work.

Writing a lot is mandatory to become a professional writer. Writing for hours every day, and punishing yourself if you don't, is not. Figuring out how to get yourself to write a lot is a valid part of learning how to write. It comes easier to some people than others, and if you're on of the people who can "just do it," then lucky you, keep on keeping on. But don't tell everyone else they don't have what it takes because they have to find a different solution.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

They obviously don't know how to ignore that inner editor or they probably wouldn't be paralyzed by anxiety. And Thunderdome, while awesome, amazing, the best, and something every goddamn budding writer who stumbles in here should do until their brain bleeds, isn't a magical cure-all for that anxiety. I've participated in several Thunderdomes, plunked out of two, and still have that fear.

That said, the best advice remains: write anyway. Write a lot.

Write poo poo. Promise yourself you will write poo poo. Force yourself to write poo poo. Get over yourself and your ideals and let yourself write something no matter how bad it is. Do it again and again.

Be brave and subject it to criticism. Accept the criticism (it's okay if you get mad or want to cry for a while--for some reason getting your writing criticized sometimes feels like people are criticizing your very existence, but you get over that with practice.) Learn from the criticism.

Then, write again. It might not feel easier than the first time. Promise yourself you will write more poo poo. Force yourself to write more poo poo. Keep writing poo poo; do it again and again.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

^^^^^ lol Crabrock :/

If those systems work, then I don't see the problem. You don't have to write everything in notepad or on napkins to be a "real" writer. You don't have to avoid everything that will make your life easier or give you added motivation in the name of "just doing it."

I have to psyche myself up to do a lot of things, but I do them. I don't discount them because it took effort to get going. It took me like a year to psyche myself up to climb Kilimanjaro, but I still climbed that drat mountain.

If writing makes you miserable, you're probably doing something wrong, but that doesn't mean the only answer is to throw up your hands and give up. The idea that only certain people "are" writers, and that writing comes easy to "real" writers is pretty silly in my opinion. And unnecessarily discouraging. Writing is a skill, not only the mechanics of writing well, but actually figuring out how to get your butt in the chair/words on the page. That part might come easier for some people, but those aren't the only people who can or should write.

I do think that too many people are looking for a magic bullet--something they can buy (Scrivener! Fountain Pens!) or some trick to make butt-in-chair/words-on-page effortless. It's better to just start making the effort. Lots and lots of effort. But trying different things isn't going to hurt anyone, as long as they don't lose sight of the fact that ultimately they have to write. That's the bottom line.

I don't think it's useful to say "if x you're a writer," or "if y you're not a writer." Writing is something you do. Don't worry about your (or anyone's) identity as a writer; write stuff.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Sithsaber posted:

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

I think everyone needs to understand that this isn't "a safe place for you to express yourself creatively, free of judgement." This community will kill your darlings, not coddle them. If you are lucky, we will use a scapel. You should post here to find the crucible, not avoid it.

When someone asks for "feedback" but refuses to accept any criticism, they insult us by wasting our time. When someone posts a lovely first draft, they insult us by asking us to spend time when they couldn't be bothered. When all someone offers is a useless one line response, they insult us by demanding less than they give in return.

If you ignore these principles occasionally, you will be chastised. If you break them repeatedly, you will be ridiculed mercilessly. If you disagree with them, you should make like a frog and get out.

If you want to be a good writer, then you should put your whole heart into the effort, and thank these good people who do you the favor of ripping it apart.

Sithsaber posted:

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

When I have questions like this, I usually turn to my favorite books to see how other authors have handled similar situations. Most (all) writing rules are soft. They are guidelines, and cannot be reduced to absolutes. For any rule there will be a thousand exceptions, and an author who broke it successfully.

Reading books, especially when looking for something in particular, is like taking a master class on different ways to apply the guidelines. It puts tools in your tool box and helps you to develop an intuitive sense of how the guidelines work.

So what are your favorite books in the genre you are writing? And in general? How do they handle teams, cursing , and ethnicity?

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

As a haven't-made-it writer, I've criticized a couple stories posted here for being too ambiguous. In those cases, I felt ambiguity was used as a substitute for real tension and story development. This ties into the recent "all short stories must have epiphanies" trend discussed earlier. Instead of building to an emotional/plot-based conclusion, they just hide pertinant information from the reader and then stick it in later as a "big reveal." They try to substitude hiding the set-up for the actual plot.

In most of the instances like this that I've seen, they actually had a fine story that would have benefited from making the sitation clear earlier. I'm not against stories that make me think, but withholding information isn't a shortcut to intellectually stimulating work.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

If more people read a) this very thread, and b) books, they wouldn't all ask the same questions over and over again. And if you have to pick just one, pick books.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Just emptyquote Dr. K forever.

Incidentally, I'd be more than interested in forming another writing group. I am taking a break from my novel since I was spinning my wheels on it for a month, and have now started a new project to keep the practice up. So if anyone (including my former group mates HINT HINT) wanted to actually get some poo poo done, I'd be down to help organize. Even if it's just a bunch of people meeting in IRC every week or every couple weeks, I think a lot of people would benefit from organization and enforced deadlines. And I am ready to put my writing where my mouth is and get loving published.

I mean we can talk shop and bitch and discuss writing "theory" in here all we want, but at the end of the day it's a bunch of vague questions with vague answers ITT.

Join me and together we will rule the universe.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Sitting Here posted:

Just emptyquote Dr. K forever.

Incidentally, I'd be more than interested in forming another writing group. I am taking a break from my novel since I was spinning my wheels on it for a month, and have now started a new project to keep the practice up. So if anyone (including my former group mates HINT HINT) wanted to actually get some poo poo done, I'd be down to help organize. Even if it's just a bunch of people meeting in IRC every week or every couple weeks, I think a lot of people would benefit from organization and enforced deadlines. And I am ready to put my writing where my mouth is and get loving published.

I mean we can talk shop and bitch and discuss writing "theory" in here all we want, but at the end of the day it's a bunch of vague questions with vague answers ITT.

Join me and together we will rule the universe.

Dr. Kloctopussy posted:

Yes, this would be sweet. I am pretty unimpressed with the submissions/critique part of the Write About Dragons website. Maybe we can have the whole group sharing google docs and smaller groups for skyping, based on time zones?

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

I would be game for this although I will be traveling the whole month of August so I wouldn't be able to start until September.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I'd love to be a part of a writing group that wasn't afraid to be honest and actually had some semblance of a regular schedule. I'm primarily interested in short fiction right now, but provided that isn't a problem it would be a great opportunity to work on my biggest weaknesses.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Sounds rad.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
I'm willing to join in as well, at least for the summer while I got time to kill.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah I could go for that. I'm focusing a bit on shorts right now but the more work I get prodded to do the merrier.

neongrey fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 11, 2014

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sounds great.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
Cool. So previously, we'd done Skype. But the number of people who've expressed interest already makes that seem like it'll be really hard to organize. Last time around, we had on average 5 people per week on a Skype call, and that was kind of hard to organize because of time zones and etc.

Several people have already told me IRC would be easier.

So what I'm thinking is we create some sort of group or forum somewhere, come up with deadlines and a crit schedule, and do a combination of IRC and long-form written crits.

Some people work really well with weekly deadlines, some don't. If enough people are interested, we could probably have multiple crit sessions, but it really depends how many people are interested and what their schedule/time zone is.

Thoughts?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, IRC is perfect for me; my schedule is wacky and shifts around a lot but the only time I'm really unable to be in an irc channel are times when I'm asleep.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
I'm up for giving the writing group a go. I'm GMT.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I'd like to be in this thing.

IRC is great for simultaneous communication, but it can be a bit hard to catch up on after the fact. It would be useful for the crits, at a decided time, but something like google docs or a private forum might be more useful for more general conversation, since it's easier to catch up on the dialogue later on.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
edit: oops somehow i misread stuff

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Okay let me lay out what we did last time and give some thoughts on what worked and what did not. From there you guys can try to decide how you'd like to organize this. I may or may not join in again depending on the format; my goal atm is to finish shorts and I am not interested in getting crits on stuff that isn't at least a finished rough draft.

The first "semester" we did it, it coincided with Sanderson's Write About Dragons class. We watched the lecture every week and followed the class schedule, which required a certain number of words per week (I forget how many, 1k-1.5k I think though). We used a googledocs group to post our submissions for the week, which were due on Thursday to give people time to read before Skype calls on Saturday. Written crits were due on Monday. Sanderson had strong opinions of how crits should be, specifically don't say, "I think you should..." He preferred, "This worked, this didn't" type crits. We tried to do this but every one of us was guilty of much "I think you should..."

The Skype calls were really long, usually fun, and sort of helpful. We went through each person on the call's submission, and whoever we were critting at the time had to mute themselves and not respond during the crit. The crit was usually about 20-30 minutes, then we'd give the person ~5 minutes to respond or ask questions. If you missed the call that was that. It was optional.

The first semester we had most people stick to the deadlines, but people would occasionally go on vacation or make up pretty valid excuses. Some people got lazy and just missed deadlines entirely, but the overall FEELING was that everyone was doing it seriously and trying their best to treat it almost like a university class or something. A few people dropped out midway through, and many dropped out after the first semester. Toward the end of the semester people started flaking the gently caress out though; many were failing to do the minimum word counts and it just felt like wheel spinning. I finished 50k words in that semester but hated my novel. Me, crabrock, and muffin all had over 50k, but I think most people had under 25k words.

I got annoyed and the second semester declared that if you missed more than three weeks you were kicked out of the group. People got stressed out and started failing to submit. After maybe a month or two we all just totally burned the gently caress out and started dropping out like flies.

I found the idea of writing a novel and getting feedback every few thousand words more or less annoying and not too helpful. We started allowing shorts somewhere in, and I finished a few short stories and got a lot of good feedback getting the finished drafts critiqued, so that's more the direction I would want to go in. If people want to do novels and get crits as they write, I'd say feel free to do so; it didn't work for me but it works for others.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

I am down for some of this action, but I think my work wouldn't allow me to join cause I work every weekend and now I dont know why I even bothered making a post

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

It sounds like maybe a combination of IRC and an offsite forum would be ideal (or a dedicated thread in CC, dunno if that's kosher).

systran, my interest is also in short fiction, but I don't see any reason a group couldn't offer feedback on both short stories and novels. There's a lot of people that seem interested, so maybe if it's necessary there can be a group for each?

Burnout and people just dropping are probably the biggest issues to address, though.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm already in a writing group and I can't recommend it enough; it still keeps me on deadline.

And while I post a lot in here without posting my writing, that doesn't mean I'm not writing.

I read some sub guidelines that said they wouldn't accept a MS if any part of it had been posted online.

To me, that's short sighted. What better way to drum up interest in your book than to expose it to a small group?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

We tried making a separate group for short fiction once but it died because it took us all too long to finish drafts. I think we had a two-week deadline for like 7k-8k word stories, and only three people were participating out of like ~10 from the main group.

I think having shorts and novels together in one group is fine, but the trickiest question for me is how to strike the right balance between deadlines that force you to write and deadlines that force you to just poo poo out dumb poo poo for the sake of doing it.

This was something we all did because we wanted to write--no one was forcing us to do this--but nonetheless most people were writing their required word counts the night before it was due, and often they were doing the bare minimum required, even cutting off mid-scene cause they had hit the minimum.

If you don't have deadlines though, people like me will just decide not to write for a week or two at a time, which also really sucks.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah, I really like deadlines for motivation, but I think it can get dangerous if it becomes a "turn this in in 2 hours or you're kicked out" type of situation. If everyone is just racing to churn out bullshit, it won't benefit anyone.

That said I have no problem working in a group with people that are writing novels. Personally I prefer writing short stories in the 3-5k word range, but provided everyone could settle on reasonable deadlines I think anyone could benefit from an organized group regardless of their goals. Hell, just having a community of people that take it seriously is a pretty good motivator.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hell, just having a community of people that take it seriously is a pretty good motivator.

It's the major thing I miss about university. Kept meaning to set up some sort of group with those guys but I think a lot of them aren't trying to write seriously any more. Which could be the perfect reason to try and do something with them, but it could also be the best reason to not do that.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, I really like deadlines for motivation, but I think it can get dangerous if it becomes a "turn this in in 2 hours or you're kicked out" type of situation. If everyone is just racing to churn out bullshit, it won't benefit anyone.
Odd thing is, besides me, I don't think anyone else in my group is churning anything out. Their novels are all completed. The frustrating part there is that you'll encounter the same problems every week. One guy loves infodumps, another one loves stilted heart-clutching romance. And every two weeks, 60% of my feedback could just be a copy and paste from the previous week. I feel like I'm the only one, (don't laugh) who takes their feedback, and the feedback in here, and attacks my next chapters, rebuilding it from the ground up. My writing has improved because of it.

My group meets every two weeks on a Tuesday, and deadline for the next submission is the Tuesday in between. You've got a week after the crits to update your next chapter, and then everybody has a week to go over the other chapters. It's worked out great.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

blue squares posted:

Also: Does anyone here own a usage dictionary? I've read lots of glowing reviews of Brian Garner's Modern American Usage, but I'm not sure whether it's necessary to own. Any questions I've had have been answered with Google, so I don't know is $28.50 is worth it to have a giant book on my desk instead.

I've got the Merriam-Webster Usage Dictionary and it is awesome. I was skeptical when I first bought it, but the more I use it, the more I love it.

I find that when I search stuff on Google, I get linked to random forum post where someone merely repeats the "rule" they learned from their teacher, as if it is gospel. The usage dictionary, however, shows (with sources) the development of all the competing guidelines and the reasoning behind them. It also has recommendations for how to handle different situations. I find it provides helpful information so I can decide how best present my work, and not some random, arbitrary "rule."

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
K writergroup people. I'm going to throw up some sort of simple forum hopefully by the end of the weekend, along with a dedicated IRC channel. I'll post a schedule and some general guidelines, and we'll go from there.

I am fairly sick right now which is why I haven't done it already (clicking the mouse is hard), but I think getting this idea off of the ground as soon as possible will have the best results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
I would like to be involved in this writing group, if that works out.

• Locked thread