Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

haakman posted:

Yup. For some reason I am now wearing Victoria Secret Panties (tm) whilst eyeing up the new Chevy Camaro (tm) in my drive, swilling some famous brand of mouthwash (tm) with a Bud Light (tm) in one hand and some loving weird chinese milk carton (tm) in the other - all the while listening to my amazing Beats by Dre (tm) stereo playing the latest song by Imagine Dragons, my body shaking half due to the music and half due to the crazy shakes a can of Red Bull (tm) gave me.

Clearly the film has failed in its primary purpose if you are doing all that but not watching your kid happily playing with their Psycho-Murder Mode Optimus Prime action figure (tm) while wearing an Optimus Prime Voice Changer Helmet (tm).

Anyway, film was, as usual, hot garbage, with you guys interpretations of it being far more interesting and entertaining than the near torturous experience of actually watching it. Certainly, I couldn't help but think of Terry when literally the first words out of Galvatron's mouth when he breaks free are to urge his brothers to rise up and break their chains. Prime flying off to kill 'god' seems rather appropriate as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Someone made a super cut of the first 3 TF films on Reddit (I know, I know), and not 5 posts in Terry's analysis gets linked: http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/2aaxzn/every_single_robotonrobot_action_sequence_from/

Obviously there's some overlap in the audiences of online forums, but it seems like the analysis is really striking a cord with a lot of folks, it seems.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Someone made a super cut of the first 3 TF films on Reddit (I know, I know), and not 5 posts in Terry's analysis gets linked: http://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/2aaxzn/every_single_robotonrobot_action_sequence_from/

Obviously there's some overlap in the audiences of online forums, but it seems like the analysis is really striking a cord with a lot of folks, it seems.

One link to the PDF has 25,828 views. Another has 463 views. So yeah, pretty good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
After watching the fourth film, someone from my circle of friends asked me for a linked to the .pdf. So, yeah, people are reading it.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

For anyone sending out the link, this upload of the epub version that's also been going around is a lot more readable than the pdf one:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/231829079/I-actually-kind-of-appreciate-the-Transformers-movies-epub-version

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jul 11, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Oh, and that 'supercut' is missing a ton of footage.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Lord Krangdar posted:

One link to the PDF has 25,828 views. Another has 463 views. So yeah, pretty good.

Between my website and the other links there are 35,000+ views total. Congrats Terry! You are internet famous.

CJSwiss
Mar 16, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Oh, and that 'supercut' is missing a ton of footage.

I don't really understand why the scenes are broken up like they are...there's no music overlayed so that it has to be re-edited to hit certain notes. Why not just play the scenes straight and put them in order from movie to movie? Could've been done much better. And there's definitely a lot of footage missing - was Devastator even in there?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Lord Krangdar posted:

I made that link for my film analysis teacher, was not expecting it to blow up like that. And it's at 25, 854 thank you very much.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Milky Moor posted:

As far as Imax cameras go, sleepingbuddha, the film definitely looks better in Imax than it does in a normal cinema. However, there seemed to be something weird where the aspect ratio was changing between scenes and even between shots - letterbox bars would appear and disappear. I don't know if this was just a thing from IMax films or a problem with my cinema but it was fairly distracting.

I came in this thread to find out whether this was a thing or my theater just messed up, so I'm glad I stumbled upon this post. It's really weird though and quite noticeable in the kind of movie that rarely has cuts that last longer than 3 seconds. I've never noticed it before during a movie (obviously The Grand Budapest Hotel doesn't count).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 11, 2014

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Kempo posted:

Apparently the trick is to never be immersed in what's happening on screen, as your mind has to be constantly analysing the intricate details of Transformers: Age of Extinction, or you'll miss the subtle genius of "blob turns into gun, bigger blob turns into bigger gun".

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
it's kind of annoying that cineD is somehow the worst place to casually talk about movies, unless you want to discuss the sexual repression subtext latent within garfield: a tale of two kitties

pfft, guy talking about how these advertisements take him out of the film? clearly he has not considered that optimus prime is ACTUALLY hitler

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 12, 2014

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Neurolimal posted:

it's kind of annoying that cineD is somehow the worst place to casually talk about movies, unless you want to discuss the sexual repression subtext latent within garfield: a tale of two kitties

pfft, guy talking about how these advertisements take him out of the film? clearly he has not considered that optimus prime is ACTUALLY hitler

What I find baffling is the complaint about advertising in a movie that is explicitly an advertisement for toys. This is not as baffling as why people insist on watching movies they claim to not enjoy, but what the gently caress did you expect?

Tomorrow my friend and I are going to watch the first three Transformers movies in a row, to see what wondrous marvels and insights present themselves to us. I'm re-reading Terry's analysis in preparation.

Pray for us.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

vseslav.botkin posted:

What I find baffling is the complaint about advertising in a movie that is explicitly an advertisement for toys. This is not as baffling as why people insist on watching movies they claim to not enjoy, but what the gently caress did you expect?

Tomorrow my friend and I are going to watch the first three Transformers movies in a row, to see what wondrous marvels and insights present themselves to us. I'm re-reading Terry's analysis in preparation.

Pray for us.

Because the "advertisement for toys" aspect is completely separate from the movie itself; someone with no prior knowledge of the toys can watch the movie and still not realize that there are toys for it (they will probably wonder why there's so many useless robots that do nothing hanging around, though). The advertisements shown in-movie, however, are very difficult to ignore, and break immersion (which is apparently a swear word among 2-bit cineD philosophers I guess)

As for the other part, it's fun to criticize things, point out what went wrong, and yearn for a better product. There is no rule that explicitly states you have to have enjoyed a movie to post about it, in fact, that kind of mentality leads to literally the worst threads in all of the SA forums.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Because the "advertisement for toys" aspect is completely separate from the movie itself; someone with no prior knowledge of the toys can watch the movie and still not realize that there are toys for it

Are you serious?

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Neurolimal posted:

Because the "advertisement for toys" aspect is completely separate from the movie itself; someone with no prior knowledge of the toys can watch the movie and still not realize that there are toys for it (they will probably wonder why there's so many useless robots that do nothing hanging around, though). The advertisements shown in-movie, however, are very difficult to ignore, and break immersion (which is apparently a swear word among 2-bit cineD philosophers I guess)

I know you're not much for investigating subtext, but don't you think it's kind of weird that a movie that's so good at selling you toys that people don't even notice it's an advertisement... is selling you things like beer and the glory of the Chinese government in a way that's literally impossible to ignore?

Also, I'm fine with talking about "breaking immersion," but to act like it's always undesirable or unintentional seems overly simplistic.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Are you serious?

You're watching the movie to see robots punching each other and doing cool stuff, toys or no toys, you're not watching for Bud Light or impromptu trips to China. I genuinely do-not-care if it's intentional or not, it's obnoxious and bizarre, especially when any sort of progression or impact is suddenly dropped to say "time to pander to the chinese market!". You can say that it being obnoxious and bizarre is the subversive "point" of the movie, but I (and likely the guy I quoted) do-not-care-at-all

I guess it depends on if you consider it an advertisement if you're specifically going there to watch the subject matter of that "advertisement"; if you were going to see Bud Light Man or The Guy Who Suddenly Shows Up In China, you might not complain about those things ((and would instead be complaining about all the not-quite-realistic-enough CGI robots smashing through all the lovingly rendered bud light bottles), but you aren't.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 12, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

So, wait, you're singling out one aspect of Transformers as being bad because it is "obnoxious and bizarre" when you could apply those two words to probably any part of the four films? Sam Witwicky, Mikaela, Bumblebee's antics, Prime's murder fetish, dog humping, John Turturro and John Malkovich, half the Decepticons, the Romeo and Juliet card, Marky-Mark the Over Protective Inventor Dad, "She's got the best hands in the business! Grab the stick!", the Twins, Drift, big robot balls...

:psyduck:

Time to pander to the Chinese market? You realised that they paid for a bunch of the film, right? That it wasn't a thing Michael Bay did 'just because'. Welcome to international blockbusters, buddy.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I wonder what it's like to take everything at face value always and forever.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

So, wait, you're singling out one aspect of Transformers as being bad because it is "obnoxious and bizarre" when you could apply those two words to probably any part of the four films? Sam Witwicky, Mikaela, Bumblebee's antics, Prime's murder fetish, dog humping, John Turturro and John Malkovich, half the Decepticons, the Romeo and Juliet card, Marky-Mark the Over Protective Inventor Dad, "She's got the best hands in the business! Grab the stick!", the Twins, Drift, big robot balls...

:psyduck:

Time to pander to the Chinese market? You realised that they paid for a bunch of the film, right? That it wasn't a thing Michael Bay did 'just because'. Welcome to international blockbusters, buddy.

I have not seen the previous Transformers films, and I have no intention to whatsoever after watching this one. I wrote a complete laundry list of minor complaints I had with the film a page or two before people started squirting over alternate transformers fanfic interpretations or whatever, it was not just that, but feel free to re-interpret my posts as being only over bud light and China.

I do not give an inkling of care that a portion of the film was paid for by China, I, the consumer, should not go "well this is incredibly jarring and completely pointless, but they did pay a lot of money during production!". In my eyes the rough attempt to fit the China segment with the America segment is a failure, because it was sloppy and confusing, regardless of how intentional it was.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Like, it's not even subversive. It's right there, pure text. It's not subtext, it's not meta-discussion, it's a steady pattern throughout all four films. These films are obnoxious and bizarre - you either enjoy that as a complete, unabashed obscene spectacle of contemporary cinema excess or you can just sort of not, I guess, and get mad about a Transformers film that exists to sell toys, where toys is anything from beer to cars to robot action figures.

edit: Maybe you should watch the other three films then? :psyduck:

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 12, 2014

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Neurolimal posted:

You're watching the movie to see robots punching each other and doing cool stuff, toys or no toys, you're not watching for Bud Light or impromptu trips to China. I genuinely do-not-care if it's intentional or not, it's obnoxious and bizarre, especially when any sort of progression or impact is suddenly dropped to say "time to pander to the chinese market!". You can say that it being obnoxious and bizarre is the subversive "point" of the movie, but I (and likely the guy I quoted) do-not-care-at-all

I guess it depends on if you consider it an advertisement if you're specifically going there to watch the subject matter of that "advertisement"; if you were going to see Bud Light Man or The Guy Who Suddenly Shows Up In China, you might not complain about those things ((and would instead be complaining about all the not-quite-realistic-enough CGI robots smashing through all the lovingly rendered bud light bottles), but you aren't.

So really the problem is that the ads for the ad lied to you - you thought it was a movie about robot punches, it's really a movie about ads. Sorry ads are fundamentally dishonest and give you a warped perception of reality - but the good news is I know some movies about that you might want to watch.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

So really the problem is that the ads for the ad lied to you - you thought it was a movie about robot punches, it's really a movie about ads. Sorry ads are fundamentally dishonest and give you a warped perception of reality - but the good news is I know some movies about that you might want to watch.

You're right, Transformers: Age of Extinction has shaken my perception of reality to its very core, I will come out of this experience a free man, free to walk into a better movie showing, that is.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I cannot imagine what noted SA poster Neurolimal must've thought coming in to see the fourth Transformers film utterly blind without seeing any others. That must've been an experience for them.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

I cannot imagine what noted SA poster Neurolimal must've thought coming in to see the fourth Transformers film utterly blind without seeing any others. That must've been an experience for them.

I thought "hey, family wants to see this, might as well go with them", then I did, and I disliked what I saw. Potentially interesting plot points (introduced in this very movie, not the other ones) are completely dropped for no reason and never brought up again. If this is supposed to be intentional then cool for you, congratulations on enjoying it, but I didn't like that, and I don't care about any overarching subtext or overtext or omegatext that it belongs to.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If it makes you feel better, you could interpret my posts as an avant-garde rebellion against a stagnating forum and its collected philosophic knowledge, rules, and excuses, delivered at rapid pace and with little caution for proofreading to represent my adrenaline-fueled anguish over the lack of a cool place to say "i think this movie wasn't very good" or "I like the camerawork in this scene" without either being used in a paragraph about its relation to the birth of jesus christ and also the Renaissance era. (and grade the post on those grounds)

Or you could interpret them at face-value, like the plebian that you are

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 12, 2014

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

What's a series where you actually could come in on the fourth consecutive film (like, not including reboots or whatever) and reasonably expect to understand the bulk of what's going on?

Not that there aren't any, I just can't think of any right now.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

I thought "hey, family wants to see this, might as well go with them", then I did, and I disliked what I saw. Potentially interesting plot points (introduced in this very movie, not the other ones) are completely dropped for no reason and never brought up again. If this is supposed to be intentional then cool for you, congratulations on enjoying it, but I didn't like that, and I don't care about any overarching subtext or overtext or omegatext that it belongs to.

There is no Transformers film that doesn't just drop potentially interesting plot points and even entire characters for no reason.

Coming into the fourth film in a series and being like 'I don't like how they work' is like walking into, I don't know, Return of the Jedi and grumping about lightsabers or sound FX in space. It's not subtext, it's blatant text.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

api call girl posted:

Optimus surely knows the value of the faces he take.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

There is no Transformers film that doesn't just drop potentially interesting plot points and even entire characters for no reason.

Why should this be considered a good thing. If I smear poo poo on your house, is it a good thing so long as I intended to smear that poo poo on your house?

I'd ask what point introducing stuff like "hey I'm sort of a mechanic, I make robots, well, not gonna show me doing that or using that skill whatsoever", but I don't want to read a diatribe on the fallacy of coherent films at 12:20 AM.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Nobody had said anything about what was "intended".

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 12, 2014

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Why should this be considered a good thing. If I smear poo poo on your house, is it a good thing so long as I intended to smear that poo poo on your house? If I doodle crayon drawing of a dick and nail it to the mona lisa, is that a good thing so long as I intended to do that and know full well how shoddy the penis picture is?

Did I say it was a good thing or did I just tell you how these films are set up and how they work and how they have worked over the entire series that probably indicates it is an intention on the part of the creative team?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Milky Moor posted:

Did I say it was a good thing or did I just tell you how these films are set up and how they work and how they have worked over the entire series that probably indicates it is an intention on the part of the creative team?

Then what is your point

Are you not allowed to complain about something if you haven't consumed every predecessor beforehand? Thats the only potential meaning I can find for running up my rear end over complaining that this specific movie has problems that I dislike.

Because if so then BSS should be a wasteland by now.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Neurolimal posted:

You interpreted Stanley Tucci's character as being "Steve Jobs." You interpreted the failure of the Autobots not publicizing their evidence as a poor tactical decision. You interpreted the Autobots as being good guys. You interpreted Megatron's virus mosquitoes as being evil, the daughter as "slowing down" the protagonists, and you interpreted the inventor as a failure, despite the fact that he's got a house and a barn with some pretty cool (if imperfect) stuff.

None of these things are objective facts.

I agree that this forum can go a bit overboard with the analysis sometimes, but you have picked the absolute worst thread to make that argument in. Complaining about the advertising in these movies is like complaining that the robots turn into cars.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

The very first scene of the very first film, with the soldiers on the helicopter, has a bunch of them listening to iPods. Just a reminder.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

vseslav.botkin posted:

None of these things are objective facts.

You're right, not only is it totally unfair to criticize things that aren't objective facts (it's ok to praise them, though), but I totally care about the alignment of the megatronsquitos, and not how dumb they are. By pointing out how wrong I am about the moral alignment of squitotron you have unraveled me completely

The advertising is probably a bad springboard, I do not care about the advertising at all to be entirely honest (if I did I probably would have bitched about it in the very first post), It's just really frustrating to see even the Transformers thread get caught up in stupid reinterpretations, movies about spiky robots that turn into hotrods and have over-the-top accents (esp. since most of the jerking off comes from Bay making a single potentially-subversive movie beforehand) while shouting down any complaints (however misguided). Especially when the movie itself is so interestingly sloppy in ways that would make pretty entertaining convos outside of "maybe the bad guys are the good guys? neoliberals hmmmmmm?"

e: Probably going to go to bed now, feel free to go back to talking about that reddit interpretation or respond to this post, but know that I won't be able to respond until after work (so 15 hours from now)

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 12, 2014

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

api call girl posted:

I am so much more intelligent than you plebes.

-The Post

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

e: Probably going to go to bed now, feel free to go back to talking about that reddit interpretation

You're a pretty bad troll, HTH.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Neurolimal posted:

You're right, not only is it totally unfair to criticize things that aren't objective facts (it's ok to praise them, though), but I totally care about the alignment of the megatronsquitos, and not how dumb they are. By pointing out how wrong I am about the moral alignment of squitotron you have unraveled me completely

The advertising is probably a bad springboard, I do not care about the advertising at all to be entirely honest (if I did I probably would have bitched about it in the very first post), It's just really frustrating to see even the Transformers thread get caught up in stupid reinterpretations, movies about spiky robots that turn into hotrods and have over-the-top accents (esp. since most of the jerking off comes from Bay making a single potentially-subversive movie beforehand) while shouting down any complaints (however misguided). Especially when the movie itself is so interestingly sloppy in ways that would make pretty entertaining convos outside of "maybe the bad guys are the good guys? neoliberals hmmmmmm?"

e: Probably going to go to bed now, feel free to go back to talking about that reddit interpretation or respond to this post, but know that I won't be able to respond until after work (so 15 hours from now)

My point was not that you are wrong about moral alignments, but that you are interpreting what you see. All of that was subtext! Why are we obligated to draw the subtextual line where you say it is? That reddit interpretation was actually done by the person who started these threads, and she dedicated several hundred pages to making her case; so far you have argued that this interpretation was invalid because you didn't like some stuff in the movie, and that everybody else in the thread is just jerking off.

It is entirely possible to make a case that these movies are dumb and sloppy. So far you haven't, and you shouldn't be surprised when people react poorly to you insisting that you're the final arbiter of meaning.

When you respond to this, I will either be in bed or watching the first three movies in a row tomorrow. But I am entirely open to another perspective, or I wouldn't be here in the first place.

I thought this was an interesting read:

http://www.openlettersmonthly.com/hammerandthump/transformers-4-is-the-greatest-film-ever-made-about-21st-century-america/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

That's not totally off the mark, but then there are parts like this:

quote:

Transformers director and maestro of Bayhem, Michael loving Bay—the perpetual bad-boy idiot bro-savant—didn’t become Michael loving Bay because he stays up at night worrying about what critics and fan boys think of his movies. No, he stays up at night banging hookers on the hoods of solid gold sports cars filled with cocaine because his films have become giant temples of crazed cash-making wretched genius excess.

where he's still propagating -and building the rest there on- that same old meme/caricature of Bay. Part of what made Terry's analysis and the discussions branching off of it so refreshing was we were able to get away from that BS.