Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

So it turns out that the Polynesian rum is really good over a big cube in an Old Fashioned with a couple dashes of falernum bitters, a splash of Demerara syrup and an orange twist. Letting it melt for a few minutes slightly reduces the proof a bit and smooths out the whole experience. Looking forward to the release of the Cuban overproof that they will debut at Tales of the Cocktail.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
Late to this, but Lemon Hart has gotten scarce:

quote:

I'm sorry to report that Mosaiq, the Lemon Hart brand owner, has decided not to bottle any more Lemon Hart 151 until at least the middle of 2015. I wish I had the opportunity to buy more and offered to buy 5,000 cases but was turned down. Planning is everything. I'm working on obtaining another overproof rum that will work in many of the cocktails you love.

That was on May 27. Pennsylvania is all out now. How is availability elsewhere in the country?

I think I'd rather have a lime shortage....

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sweet Christ that is a nightmare. It's not quite the Great Angostura Shortage of 2009, but it's pretty bad.

I'm going to have to go down to Ledger's and see if I can pick up an emergency bottle.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Here in the UK, the nearest vendor to me is an eBay Shop based in Germany. It's been that way for a while. I may have to bite the bullet and endure international shipping if it's as good as people say.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Just drink prussers and think of England.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Leblon cachaça was on sale this month.

Trip report: :stonk:

This stuff seriously lives up to the thread title. I have a bunch of ginger beer left over from making proper dark 'n stormies, I guess I should try that or find some limes and (brown?) sugar.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars
White rum for mojitos, daiquiris, Cuba libres and the like: would you go for Havana Club 3 or Flor de Cana Extra Dry? Neither is expensive, but the Havana Club is a little cheaper and easier to get hold of. I have never tried either.

NIGARS fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 13, 2014

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I really love Flor de Cana, but haven't tried Havana Club, since I can't get it here(stupid US politics.) I've heard many good things however. I doubt you could go wrong with either, so try them both.

spoon0042 posted:

Leblon cachaça was on sale this month.

Trip report: :stonk:

This stuff seriously lives up to the thread title. I have a bunch of ginger beer left over from making proper dark 'n stormies, I guess I should try that or find some limes and (brown?) sugar.

It's hard to find a good cachaca in many places in the US, unfortunately, but I find Leblon does just fine in a Caipirinha. I don't think I'll be using it for much else, though.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
The ginger beer made it palatable at least. By itself it's like the taste of raw sugar, just all the sweetness sucked out of it. Something like that anyway.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?

NIGARS posted:

White rum for mojitos, daiquiris, Cuba libres and the like: would you go for Havana Club 3 or Flor de Cana Extra Dry? Neither is expensive, but the Havana Club is a little cheaper and easier to get hold of. I have never tried either.

I can't really speak for the Flor de Cana, but the Havana 3 year loves cocktails. Really can't go wrong with it.

On a slightly related note, I will be in Cuba in 2 weeks... in case anyone here has been before, any rum-related recommendations?

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Tytan posted:

I can't really speak for the Flor de Cana, but the Havana 3 year loves cocktails. Really can't go wrong with it.

On a slightly related note, I will be in Cuba in 2 weeks... in case anyone here has been before, any rum-related recommendations?

Thanks (you too Viperix), picked up a bottle. Now to acquire limes.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Is Zaya supposed to taste like anything other than vanilla extract?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

No, that's a pretty accurate description. It's for people who don't really know about rum and are generally skeptical about spirits. It's the Maker's Mark of rum.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thought I would ask for an opinion. Rum is the only spirit my wife likes (and she never goes out and buys it herself) to drink so I pick her up the odd bottle. So far her favourite one is Pussars which I picked up last time I was in out of province.

I got the list of the local ones available from the Government Liquor store. Any suggestions on the next one I should surprise her with?

http://www.saskliquor.com/SaskLiquorWeb/ProductSearchResults.aspx?keywords=rum&pageindex=1

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

The most exciting thing there is the Rhum Clement V.S.O.P., and if she's a Pusser's fan she'll probably be able to understand a nice Martinique rum. The Lemon Hart is also a fun one. Looks like they have the 80 and the 151. My heart tells me to have you get the 151, but the 80 makes more sense as an everyday rum. Finally, the Plantation Barbados 5 year Grande Reserve is one of my favorite sipping rums, if you think she'd also enjoy something with a bit more richness and less funk.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Much appreciated. I didn't mention she's a fan of spiced rums. (Never seen her drink a white) I'll go with your req. She likes when I think of her with a bottle so I can't really go wrong.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars
Tried a Daiquiri #1 with the Havana Club 3.

2oz rum
1oz lime
0.5oz rich brown sugar syrup

My god is that a drink.

I don't know that I've ever tried non-Bacardi white rum before. Also don't think I've ever tried a classic Daiquiri. Bit of a revelation for me on both counts.

NIGARS fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jul 19, 2014

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

NIGARS posted:

Tried a Daiquiri #1 with the Havana Club 3.

2oz rum
1oz lime
0.5oz rich brown sugar syrup

My god is that a drink.

I don't know that I've ever tried non-Bacardi white rum before. Also don't think I've ever tried a classic Daiquiri. Bit of a revelation for me on both counts.

Havana Club 3 makes a fantastic Daiquiri, and this amazes me considering that, here in the UK, it's only slightly more expensive than the ubiquitous and undrinkable Bacardi Superior.

I've been neglecting my nascent rum collection in lieu of diversfying my home bar. Given the following list, what "must-have" rums am I missing?

Havana Club 3
Wray and Nephew
Smith & Cross
Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva
Woods 100
Goslings Black Seal
Lemon Hart 151
Appleton Special (the cheap stuff, for mixing with Coke and the like)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

You're looking pretty pretty good! In terms of absolute must have rums you're only missing a couple.

First off, Haitian rum. The Barbancourt 5-star (eight year old) is commonly available and not too expensive, and works well as a sipper or for use in a spirits-driven cocktail (think Old Fashioneds or Manhattan isomorphisms). The fifteen year old Estate Reserve is pricier and can be hard to find, but is totally fantastic. Seriously, it's on a par with the finest spirits in the world. It's also the only old rum that is unquestionably worth the price premium.

Next you'll want a Barbados rum. My favorite is Plantation Barbados Grande Reserve (five year old). Mount Gay also makes nice rums. The Mount Gay Eclipse captures the Barbados flavors a bit better, but the Black Barrel and especially Extra Old are richer and silkier.

I kinda think you should try to find Coruba to replace both Appleton Special and Gosling's Black Seal for an English black rum. Coruba is inexpensive and really well-constructed. Black rums are rangy and not particularly refined as a rule, but I think Coruba understands itself better than Gosling's or Meyers or whatever. It also actually tastes like a Jamaican, unlike Appleton (in my opinion).

The last two holes you might fill is a spicy golden Spanish-style rum – I recommend Flor de Caña 4-year or Havana Club Añejo Reserva – and an aged Martinique rhum. Martiniques tend to be a bit on the pricey side, but check out Rhum Clément VSOP or Rhum JM VSOP – they are really good!

Beyond those you're in the realm of rum esoterica and you can let your curiosity guide you. Batavia Arrack van Oosten is a fun bottle to carry as a far-flung rum cousin. El Dorado 5 is nice when you want your rum to taste like a toffee factory. Denizen is a blend of white Jamaican and Trinidadian rums and makes my favorite Daiquiri #3.

The only thing to keep in mind when trying out new bottles is that I have been consistently disappointed with fine old sipping rums. They tend to lose character and go a bit flat, trading in character for silkiness. Barbancourt Estate Reserve is the only exception (I also remember enjoying Mount Gay XO, but I'd need to revisit it). In general if the younger, less expensive expressions are heavy, funky, grassy, earthy, and robust they might stand a chance at aging gracefully. If the young rums are floral, toasty, delicate, and fruity they're more likely to succumb to vanilla and char in old age.

Good luck!

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Wow, thanks! That's sure to keep me busy, drunk, and poor for a good long while.

I can't seem to find Coruba Original for sale in the UK, so for the time being I think I'll console myself with the Gosling's (oh no, such tragedy :allears:)

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
Well, looks like our limes are getting super-ripe. Before my wife bakes with them, lets swipe a few for my first close approximation of the classic. (Neither Dark or Stormy, it's more a non-copyrighted highball with a dash of juice for an extra citrus kick.)

Results: Delicious. Worth using a shot of my sipping rum, instead of my current mixer, Mount Gay Eclipse. (Which was called on for round 2)

Not overly impressed with the Mt Gay, frankly. Has a weirdly medicinal nose, and tends to get lost with a lot of mixers. Any suggestions, Rumgoons?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Use Appleton in aromatic cocktails like Old Fashioneds. For something with a bit more robustness in the glass that can stand up to strong limey and spicy flavors use Coruba. Meyers is also okay, but Coruba is the bomb. Another nice choice for Dark and Stormies is Cruzan Black-strap. It lends the drink a vanilla molasses richness that is nice, but requires a potent ginger beer.

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Coruba was pretty much the stand "Beginners Rum" where I live, normally drunk as a Rum-and-Coke. (The kiwi is a clue, I suppose) I find it a little sweet these days, but never turn it down if offered. Bonus: it's still one of the cheapest Rums to buy around here. NZ$45-ish for a liter. (US$38 or so.)

Looks like Cruzan is available here, if hard to find. Currently around US$47/bottle if I converted the exchange rate correctly.

Appleton's been my go-to Rum the last few years. The 12-Year-Old only if someone's coming through duty-free, though, and the 21-year-old is on my bucket list. I have Champagne tastes, but a beer budget.

Anyone tried Bacardi Oakheart recently? The standard label seems to get a savaging on this board, but the spiced version is seriously cheap at the moment.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Coruba was pretty much the stand "Beginners Rum" where I live, normally drunk as a Rum-and-Coke. (The kiwi is a clue, I suppose) I find it a little sweet these days, but never turn it down if offered. Bonus: it's still one of the cheapest Rums to buy around here. NZ$45-ish for a liter. (US$38 or so.)

Fellow kiwi and I agree. I think it's not uncommon for people here to develop a bit of an aversion to Coruba following too many warm rum and cokes as teenagers. I suggested picking up a bottle the other day and my partner literally curled her lip.

That said, following Kennings' enthusiasm for it I ordered a Dark 'n Stormy with Coruba (and Bundaberg ginger) a week or two back and drat it if it wasn't the best one I've ever had.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I feel like teenagers in the States almost exclusively use Bacardi and/or Captain Morgan. It's funny to realize somewhere stupid kids are pounding Coruba. It's like finding out that in Argentina everyone gets wrecked on ouzo when they're teenagers or something.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 25, 2014

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Distorted Kiwi posted:

Looks like Cruzan is available here, if hard to find. Currently around US$47/bottle if I converted the exchange rate correctly.

Good Lord, NZ's tariffs must be incredible. The most expensive bottle of rum at my local shop was less than $20US/liter, although they're admittedly a small shop (and in the US). I just bought a 1.75l bottle of Cruzan for $21.

(And that's nearly twice as expensive as the rum I'm used to drinking - Port Royal, a $7/liter USVI rum whose distribution seems to be local to Baltimore.)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mean, those NZ prices are high by US standards, but your local shop is basically selling (and you are drinking) methylated spirits so I don't think you are the right point of comparison.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
nvm. Not worth arguing over! :)

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 24, 2014

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

Besesoth posted:

Good Lord, NZ's tariffs must be incredible. The most expensive bottle of rum at my local shop was less than $20US/liter, although they're admittedly a small shop (and in the US). I just bought a 1.75l bottle of Cruzan for $21.

(And that's nearly twice as expensive as the rum I'm used to drinking - Port Royal, a $7/liter USVI rum whose distribution seems to be local to Baltimore.)

They're pretty high, plus then you have to add transportation to the South Pacific. (Volume probably keeps the costs down Stateside, too.)

We make up for it with the loosest duty-free allowance I know of. 3 liters of spirts, plus half a case of wine? No worries, welcome home!

A liter of Coruba duty-free? Twenty-six Kiwibucks or so.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Bought the El Dorado 5 year. Only previous experience being various spiced rums, Gosling's and Havana Club Anejo Blanco.

drat, but this stuff really stands up to whatever you throw at it. All those sugary, toffee-like, caramel flavours... :3:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 26, 2014

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Captain Morgan? Pfft more like Ron rio.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
Has anyone have any experience with Caña Brava? The 12 bottle bar blog was talking about it and I was wondering if it was worth the effort to track down (it seems be rather hard to find where I live) than just stick with Flor de Cana.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Where are you guys finding Smith and Cross? My local Bevmo doesn't seem to stock them

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Yeah BevMo isn't on the Smitty game. You've gotta look for an independent liquor store. In the Bay Area you can find it at Cask and K&L in the City, and at Ledger's in Berkeley. If you've got a local spot that's cool they could maybe order some from you. It's worth it.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

Kenning posted:

Yeah BevMo isn't on the Smitty game. You've gotta look for an independent liquor store. In the Bay Area you can find it at Cask and K&L in the City, and at Ledger's in Berkeley. If you've got a local spot that's cool they could maybe order some from you. It's worth it.

Thanks. I'll look into Ledger's

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
All the talk about rum old-fashioneds in the cocktail thread inspired me to make a couple sazeracs with Barbancourt 5 star. Recommended.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I've recently fallen in love with Ron Pampero Aniversario on the rocks, and was wondering if anyone could recommend me other things to try along those lines?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Last Saturday I was at my local bottle shop and the peddler proprietor offered me a taste of Ron Millonario Reserva Especial XO.

I was hooked straight away. It's so incredibly rich and smooth. It has a taste like rich chocolate that's absolutely amazing.
Normally I'm a whisky guy and I don't buy really expensive bottles (€80) but this time I cracked, it's just THAT GOOD.

I've a few other good rums like Zacapa 23 but this one is really in a different class for me.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I usually drink gin, but I've had some rum (mostly just rum and cokes made with Kraken) and various whiskys. I decided to try out more rums and, based on the recommendations of this thread, bought a bottle of Flor de Caña Añejo Oro 4 year. (Also, it's like $17 and I'm a poor grad student. I couldn't find the Extra Dry, or I would have picked that up instead.)

Now, I don't have a lot of experience with tasting alcohol, so I don't have the palette nor the vocabulary to describe rum, let alone alcohol in general. I drank it with just an ice cube to make it a little easier to sip. It reminded me a lot of whisky with slightly less burn. I also mixed it with lemonade, since that's all I had on hand, and it worked pretty well, I think.

I think I'd like something a little smoother. Does the thread have any recommendations for a beginner with a limited budget? Recommendations for mixers, etc. are also welcome!

Also, it would be awesome if some of the cool informative posts (such as this one) were added to or linked from the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Solumin posted:

I usually drink gin, but I've had some rum (mostly just rum and cokes made with Kraken) and various whiskys. I decided to try out more rums and, based on the recommendations of this thread, bought a bottle of Flor de Caña Añejo Oro 4 year. (Also, it's like $17 and I'm a poor grad student. I couldn't find the Extra Dry, or I would have picked that up instead.)

Now, I don't have a lot of experience with tasting alcohol, so I don't have the palette nor the vocabulary to describe rum, let alone alcohol in general. I drank it with just an ice cube to make it a little easier to sip. It reminded me a lot of whisky with slightly less burn. I also mixed it with lemonade, since that's all I had on hand, and it worked pretty well, I think.

I think I'd like something a little smoother. Does the thread have any recommendations for a beginner with a limited budget? Recommendations for mixers, etc. are also welcome!

Also, it would be awesome if some of the cool informative posts (such as this one) were added to or linked from the OP.

The comparison with whiskey is fairly spot-on - a lot of rum is barrel-aged, so especially in older varieties you get a lot of that woody vanilla/spice. Also, "smooth" is kind of a vague word that's used mostly in marketing as a synonym for "bland," but if you mean you want something with subtler/less punchy flavors, then I can recommend Barbancourt 15, Abuelo 8, or - if you're in the mood for something different - a rhum agricole like Clement.

Thankfully rum hasn't gone through a price boom like whiskey, so you can find a ton of REALLY good ones for under $30.

• Locked thread