Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Aphrodite posted:

Donald Glover hasn't realised he's a bad rapper and his career is a gimmick yet so I doubt he's auditioning for TV.

He isn't auditioning for a TV show because he already got one, which is why he left Community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

It's implied he's middle aged, yeah.

Was it? I know it was suggested he ran in the same circle as Moira, Robert and the Barrowman, but that doesn't mean he's their age, necessarily. He could be a Zuckerberg-esque wunderkind (heh, my browser autocorrect suggested 'undertaking' for wunderkind).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Was it? I know it was suggested he ran in the same circle as Moira, Robert and the Barrowman, but that doesn't mean he's their age, necessarily. He could be a Zuckerberg-esque wunderkind (heh, my browser autocorrect suggested 'undertaking' for wunderkind).

He could have also been just slightly older than Ollie. Ollie is still in his twenties right? Kord could have been in his 30s. Either way, it seems clear they don't want him on the show, so bleh. :(

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
You know the Blue Bettle they want used is the Nu52 spider-man but hardcore-er Jaime and not the good one.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

You know the Blue Bettle they want used is the Nu52 spider-man but hardcore-er Jaime and not the good one.

Yeah this is also probably the reason it was blocked. It might actually be the ultimate reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They cast Firestorm (Ronnie Raymond) for Flash.

Played by Robbie Amell, Stephen's cousin who was on The Tomorrow People.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Aphrodite posted:

As a Firestorm I am initially exciting about this, until I realise that they have casted Ronnie Raymond (who isn't a bad character) and not Jason Rusch (who would have be an awesome minority character for Firestorm).

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Madkal posted:

As a Firestorm I am initially exciting about this, until I realise that they have casted Ronnie Raymond (who isn't a bad character) and not Jason Rusch (who would have be an awesome minority character for Firestorm).

Well, which one had the relationship with Killer Frost, since that seems to be the impetus for including him in the story?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Isn't one of the Firestorms supposed to be with Felicity from Arrow?

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

ToastyPotato posted:

Isn't one of the Firestorms supposed to be with Felicity from Arrow?

Felicity Smoak from Arrow and Felicity Smoak from Firestorm are really two different characters by now.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

But the shows are on different days. No more Amellsday! :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming they're going to keep his character on Flash to keep from explaining how he and Ollie look alike.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Possible slip from Robbie's casting, the news says that he's Caitlin's fiance but the on the pilot she says he died on the explosion. So the odds are that we're really close to see Firestorm as well.

Madkal posted:

On the N52 both of them are Firestorm so I don't see why Jason couldn't be added later.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It'd be interesting if they switched the comics roles around, actually, and Firestorm's the obsessive, villainous one.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

On the N52 both of them are Firestorm so I don't see why Jason couldn't be added later.

Are there any versions of Firestorm that aren't two people? I know they change who's in control and who's just providing input, but I thought it was always two people at a time.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Sefer posted:

Are there any versions of Firestorm that aren't two people? I know they change who's in control and who's just providing input, but I thought it was always two people at a time.

I think the Nu52 both Ronnie and Jason were there own Firestorm, but they could combine to be a megafirestorm or something like that. I stopped reading it as it was bad.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

But the shows are on different days. No more Amellsday! :(

Yeah, but there's probably going to be a few crossovers between the shows (Actually the preview shows one, and the original idea was to have an episode of Arrow operate as a backdoor pilot).

Also, Tomorrow People kinda sucked.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Constantine has dropped the actress from one of the main roles

quote:

BC's upcoming DC Comics-based drama "Constantine" has made a major casting move, with co-star Lucy Griffiths off the show, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The site stated reason for the move: "the show's creators opted to move in a different direction." The role will not be recast, but rather replaced by Zed -- not yet been cast -- a character from early issues of the "Hellblazer" comic.

Griffiths' character Liv, created for the TV series, was positioned as the co-lead of the show; the supernaturally gifted daughter of one of main character John Constantine's (Matt Ryan) oldest friends. NBC's official series description reads: "So, together, Constantine and Liv must use her power and his skills to travel the country, find the demons that threaten our world and send them back where they belong."

THR describes Zed's character as, "a foil for the show's title character who becomes his right-hand woman," and discloses that "additional characters from 'Hellblazer' and the occult DC universe" will be introduced later in the series.

"Constantine" is set to debut at 10 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 24 on NBC, but before that, will be screened on both Wednesday, July 23 and Saturday, July 26 at Comic-Con International in San Diego

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dacap posted:

Constantine has dropped the actress from one of the main roles

Are they gonna re-shoot scenes from the pilot? I remember when the Bionic Woman pilot leaked and she had a deaf sister, and then when the show premiered she had a different actress playing her sister and the character was no longer deaf.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I guess they got a lot of negative reaction to the leaked pilot, which is a good thing. The Liv character was terribly generic.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Geez. Well I did complain about that actress, but I sure didn't expect them to pull such a drastic move at this point.

They're gonna have to reshoot nearly the entire thing. The whole plot was about Liv.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well, all you'd really have to do is...cut the scene where Liv comes back to convince John to work with her. Replace it with one of John commiserating with the angel about Liv not sticking with it. Maybe introduce Zed in the final scene or something.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh, I thought the point was to flat-out scrap the character and redo her role in the plot with the Zed character instead. Do we think they'll actually keep Liv's story as is, and then just move on without her into episode 2?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

BrianWilly posted:

Geez. Well I did complain about that actress, but I sure didn't expect them to pull such a drastic move at this point.

They're gonna have to reshoot nearly the entire thing. The whole plot was about Liv.

Or just re-shoot a couple scenes, or hell just cut a couple scenes and add one at the end where Constantine and chas are driving away and john says "welp, now that's been sorted, moving on." and she becomes just another character who is target of the monster of the week.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Building Liv up as a major character in the pilot and then randomly killing her off in episode two would be the most Hellblazer thing ever.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Having a pilot that is obviously setting up the character as the co-lead, only to have some ending scene where they introduce the new sidekick and just move on as if nothing happened would be pretty jarring. It also kind of doesn't make sense for them to be so displeased with the character to immediately scrap her from the show, but keep the pilot as is. I mean, that's the first episode everyone is going to see. Do you really want to risk turning people away with that character?

Of course this all hinges on them having the money/time to reshoot the thing in the first place, so maybe they'll just say gently caress it and hope not too many people care.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HorseRenoir posted:

Building Liv up as a major character in the pilot and then randomly killing her off in episode two would be the most Hellblazer thing ever.

I really hope they do this even though I'm almost certain they won't (because it'd be genuinely cool).

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well, I thought she was easily the weakest link in the pilot, so good on them for trying to make it better, I guess.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

VDay posted:

Having a pilot that is obviously setting up the character as the co-lead, only to have some ending scene where they introduce the new sidekick and just move on as if nothing happened would be pretty jarring. It also kind of doesn't make sense for them to be so displeased with the character to immediately scrap her from the show, but keep the pilot as is. I mean, that's the first episode everyone is going to see. Do you really want to risk turning people away with that character?

Of course this all hinges on them having the money/time to reshoot the thing in the first place, so maybe they'll just say gently caress it and hope not too many people care.

While it hasn't been as prevalent in recent years, pilots change cast and even plot around all the time.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

While it hasn't been as prevalent in recent years, pilots change cast and even plot around all the time.

Case in point: The Game of Thrones pilot had a very different cast (Catelyn and Daenerys being the notable ones), along with a GRRM cameo we will never see. I think they reshot more than half of it.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 11, 2014

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Also Buffy originally had an entire pilot shot with a different more "frumpy" woman as Willow before being reshot with the Alyson Hannigan we know and love.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

Also Buffy originally had an entire pilot shot with a different more "frumpy" woman as Willow before being reshot with the Alyson Hannigan we know and love.

Not quite. I believe Whedon shot a truncated pilot off his own initiative as a proof of concept, featuring some different actors, but the version of the actual full first episode that he shot is the one that made it to air, with Hannigan.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ah, yeah you're right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unaired_Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_pilot

Stephen Tobolowsky of all people was the original principal. I really like that, even if it would have sucked to see him get eaten by hyena people.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I always forget that Buffy was a sort of pseudo-sequel to that awful film starring Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Hakkesshu posted:

I always forget that Buffy was a sort of pseudo-sequel to that awful film starring Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry.
There's a pseudo-canon comic arc (way before Season 8 started) that tried to connect the movie to the series, and from what I can gather, it did a pretty good job. Maybe?

Also I enjoy that movie quite a bit, even though it's so far below the series in pretty much every way.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I was always told that Whedon & Co. used the original screenplay Whedon wrote as the backstory for Season One of Buffy and the movie was just some weird warped alternate reality version that doesn't count.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That movie was fine.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh I'm not one who's all "WHEDON'S VISION THE BEST THE BEST" but I do think the movie pales in comparison to what the show was even on a bad day.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
We got about ten minutes into the leaked Constantine pilot and shut it off. She's too attached to the Keanu version, I think, and the overacting just made it unwatchable for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

mind the walrus posted:

Eh I'm not one who's all "WHEDON'S VISION THE BEST THE BEST" but I do think the movie pales in comparison to what the show was even on a bad day.

The show got pretty loving bad in the end.