Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Fair warning, the consular story is SO BORING. If you don't get much out of it consider literally any other class.

That really depends on the player. If you're into random star wars lore and don't need a lot of big events in the story, then Consular is actually pretty cool. At least I enjoy it. That said, it's like a polar opposite of the Knight story it seems, in terms of galaxy-spanning fuckery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The consular story is great if you've played and liked the imperial stories.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

hobbesmaster posted:

The consular story is great if you've played and liked the imperial stories.

I've heard it gets better after chapter one. Which is about where I stopped playing. Gotta get back into that.

Ye gods, I wish there was an accelerated playthrough type options. I want to try, say, a lightside sorcerer, already gone through darkside sorcerer, but shudder at the thought of going through all of the sidequest grinding yet again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

TheCenturion posted:

I've heard it gets better after chapter one. Which is about where I stopped playing. Gotta get back into that.

Ye gods, I wish there was an accelerated playthrough type options. I want to try, say, a lightside sorcerer, already gone through darkside sorcerer, but shudder at the thought of going through all of the sidequest grinding yet again.

Theres play throughs on Youtube of pretty much any combination you want, if you just want to see the cinemas.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

TheCenturion posted:

Just doing class quests and flash points works reasonably well, I've been doing that with an operative over the double xp week. Only problem is your comm income has difficulty keeping up, but stripping mods out of gear in fps alleviates that some if you get lucky with drops.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Fair warning, the consular story is SO BORING. If you don't get much out of it consider literally any other class.

Consular actually has the best story, which has the most interesting characters in it. And their Lightside/Darkside stuff works best if you don't go straight one way or straight the other, if you want to play a proper jedi. One small spoiler from an early mission:

A single researcher is trapped in an exploding building. So is a lost jedi holocron with information like the cure to the rakghoul plague, and thousands of other lost medicinal arts from thousands of years ago. The lightside choice is to grab the researcher. The Darkside choice is to grab the holocron. If you get the Holocron, everyone's like WTF JEDI PROTECT PEOPLE,and you can be like 'shut the gently caress up you little bitchass, I just saved hundreds of thousands of lives, your girlfriend is one with the force.'

It's great.

But a lot of the darkside choices are dumb. I'd say mix up between alignments for Consular especially - mine's a guardian of knowledge, so I've taken all the choices that lead to me saving the most knowledge. So far that's about five or six darkside choices total, but they all felt very 'this is the jedi way' stuff, not 'I am killfuck soulshit, it is me'

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Blhue posted:

Just doing class quests and flash points works reasonably well, I've been doing that with an operative over the double xp week. Only problem is your comm income has difficulty keeping up, but stripping mods out of gear in fps alleviates that some if you get lucky with drops.

Between flashpoints, gsf, space missions and pvp (w/ dailies), I find that I don't need sidequests at all. You can always go back and do grey heroics for comms I imagine, right?

KittyEmpress posted:

Consular actually has the best story, which has the most interesting characters in it. And their Lightside/Darkside stuff works best if you don't go straight one way or straight the other, if you want to play a proper jedi. One small spoiler from an early mission:

A single researcher is trapped in an exploding building. So is a lost jedi holocron with information like the cure to the rakghoul plague, and thousands of other lost medicinal arts from thousands of years ago. The lightside choice is to grab the researcher. The Darkside choice is to grab the holocron. If you get the Holocron, everyone's like WTF JEDI PROTECT PEOPLE,and you can be like 'shut the gently caress up you little bitchass, I just saved hundreds of thousands of lives, your girlfriend is one with the force.'

It's great.

But a lot of the darkside choices are dumb. I'd say mix up between alignments for Consular especially - mine's a guardian of knowledge, so I've taken all the choices that lead to me saving the most knowledge. So far that's about five or six darkside choices total, but they all felt very 'this is the jedi way' stuff, not 'I am killfuck soulshit, it is me'

I'm playing my Consular the same way, Knowledge at all costs.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Oedzi, Oedzi, Oedzi.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Dang, sorry about last night. We had storms here and lost power. First time that's happened in a while.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Dang, sorry about last night. We had storms here and lost power. First time that's happened in a while.

No worries, we one shotted all of Dread Palace and barely lost any health.

OR we wiped repeatedly and couldn't get past Raptus.

One of those statements is true.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Ah, good. Sounds like you didn't need me after all.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I (or more accurately my calendar app) just remembered that Thursday night is another one of those live Rifftrax shows. So I won't be around tomorrow night.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Moving from Hawaii to Michigan over the next few weeks. Minimal online time. When I get back online I'll work on gearing my pt or assassin tank. Any preference? I like both.

PT IT IS

Degs fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 10, 2014

VonLudwig
Apr 22, 2008
I'm actually also going to Rifftrax live tomorrow. I made the plans back before we changed raid night, otherwise I wouldn't dare put my personal life above internet dragons. Also, are you in London, Bedurndurn? Are you secretly me?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I'm actually also going to the rifftrax live.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

VonLudwig posted:

I'm actually also going to Rifftrax live tomorrow. I made the plans back before we changed raid night, otherwise I wouldn't dare put my personal life above internet dragons. Also, are you in London, Bedurndurn? Are you secretly me?

Not as far as I know.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm actually also going to the rifftrax live.

I am too, but I'm not part of the raid crew.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
FINE, WHY DOESN'T EVERYONE JUST GO TO A GRIFFSMAX THING TOMORROW NIGHT AND I'LL JUST RENAME THE GUILD BRISKTRACKS AND WE'LL BASE ALL OUR ONGOING ACTIVITIES AROUND KRISPSNAX EVENTS WHY DON'T WE???

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

So in other words, if you want to raid tonight on a 55, log in around 8:30-9 EST.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
Well since I won't be able to make it Sunday (US Time) for the pick-up raid because my power will be out for the day while they do some upgrades to the local supply or some poo poo, I'll make sure to be around to make up numbers (and provide someone for people to blame when the raid wipes). ;)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

OzCavalier posted:

Well since I won't be able to make it Sunday (US Time) for the pick-up raid because my power will be out for the day while they do some upgrades to the local supply or some poo poo, I'll make sure to be around to make up numbers (and provide someone for people to blame when the raid wipes). ;)

I'll be there so blame will be on me, as usual.

I did realize shortly after logging off Tuesday that I may have drinking a bit more than usual for raid night, as I was DPS'ing I didn't feel the sense of responsibility I usually do when tanking or healing. That may have led to some of my "dumber" deaths. Though I still somehow blame Bedinok.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012
Really finding it hard to get new republic characters past Coruscant, I dunno what it is but I hate Corsucant so much

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

BigDes posted:

Really finding it hard to get new republic characters past Coruscant, I dunno what it is but I hate Corsucant so much

Try bisecting.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This is starting to become a problem.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012
Are those the ones you get when you start a new character?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I bought them off the auction house so I probably ripped myself off. None of them were that much though.

BigDes
Dec 27, 2012
The pet I really want is the model Terminus Destroyer. I have never even seen it on the gtn. Which is annoying because I want to have a nerdy model ships display in my stronghold.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hey all you people that say you can't talk in TeamSpeak because you don't have a mic -

Turtle Beach Headset for $18 (normally $50+). You have to look on the right for other buying options, and it ships in 2-4 weeks, but a pretty good deal.

OzCavalier
Jun 6, 2006

SON OF BITCH!
[LEFT HOOK]
So...

I make it about 8.25pm

Anyone raiding?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

OzCavalier posted:

So...

I make it about 8.25pm

Anyone raiding?

Thursday usual crew is around 9pm. I'll be on shortly.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
RIFFTRAX IS TEARING THIS GUILD APART!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks for trying tonight, guys. Dread Fortress is a tough raid, I was hoping bolster and over geared tanks would make up for a few newbies but alas, just didn't hit it.

I'd like to again reiterate that those of you who really want to raid should talk amongst yourselves and set something up...I really find it hard to believe that a guild of almost 500 and we can't find more than 12-16 people who actually want to see endgame. :(

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Rifftrax Live was great, I'm so glad I read about it here. :getin:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Have they come out with an ETA on 16m ops again? 8 man pug is ok, but double adds some fault tolerance.

When I did TFB as a tank, we failed several times at operator XI or whatever, and one of the dps left. Requeued, and we got a tank for replacement. So we had 3 tanks, 3 dps and 2 healers... What was up with that? I field respeced and put on my three pieces of dps gear, and we made it through, but still. 3 tanks?

HapiMerchant
Apr 22, 2014
So, sorry if I'm reading the OP and other later posts wrong, but as i understand it, F2Ps and preferreds get Y exp per kill, and Y exp per quest. Subs permanently get 2Y exp per kill (and also possibly 2Y exp per quest?) andsubs can get rested xp to make a total of 4Y exp per kill while rested.

Is that how it is? Subs are permanently getting what would be considered rested AND can get actual rested on top of that?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

HapiMerchant posted:

So, sorry if I'm reading the OP and other later posts wrong, but as i understand it, F2Ps and preferreds get Y exp per kill, and Y exp per quest. Subs permanently get 2Y exp per kill (and also possibly 2Y exp per quest?) andsubs can get rested xp to make a total of 4Y exp per kill while rested.

Is that how it is? Subs are permanently getting what would be considered rested AND can get actual rested on top of that?

It's not quite double, I think it's more like Y + 25% for being a sub, and yeah the double rested XP for kills (But the vast majority of your XP will come from quests and objectives).

I think the general consensus if you're looking to play is to sub for at least one month, play through and get a character to 55 so they can do dailies to buy QOL items like XP boosts and artifact unlocks for any F2P characters later on down the road.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

Thanks for trying tonight, guys. Dread Fortress is a tough raid, I was hoping bolster and over geared tanks would make up for a few newbies but alas, just didn't hit it.

I'd like to again reiterate that those of you who really want to raid should talk amongst yourselves and set something up...I really find it hard to believe that a guild of almost 500 and we can't find more than 12-16 people who actually want to see endgame. :(

I'm slightly ADD and I find fights like Draxus really difficult because there's enemies EVERYWHERE.

Also, I'm incredibly self-conscious and afraid that I will inevitably gently caress something up and be the reason the raid wipes every time. If I recall, I WAS the reason we wiped the first few times because I didn't interrupt the Corrupters in time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

I'm slightly ADD and I find fights like Draxus really difficult because there's enemies EVERYWHERE.

Also, I'm incredibly self-conscious and afraid that I will inevitably gently caress something up and be the reason the raid wipes every time. If I recall, I WAS the reason we wiped the first few times because I didn't interrupt the Corrupters in time.

Nah that fight is the worst. So much going on, interrupt you HAVE to hit, and we were cursed with a first time healer (who did a pretty good job of trying!) and a healer who hates healing, so we were doomed from the start. :D

In retrospect, I should have healed and had Oedzi tank (which he also hates but hates less than healing)...but oh well, happens.

kmzh
Feb 21, 2011

Dunno-Lars posted:

Have they come out with an ETA on 16m ops again? 8 man pug is ok, but double adds some fault tolerance.

When I did TFB as a tank, we failed several times at operator XI or whatever, and one of the dps left. Requeued, and we got a tank for replacement. So we had 3 tanks, 3 dps and 2 healers... What was up with that? I field respeced and put on my three pieces of dps gear, and we made it through, but still. 3 tanks?

That means that one of the original two tanks had both DPS and tank roles checked in their group finder. When it searches for replacements it assumes that anybody with double roles checked can still do either role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

HapiMerchant posted:

Do you enjoy the game? The whole F2P/sub thing is a moot point until you figure that out. The best value if you do enjoy it is to sub for a month because you get the expansion pack permanently with that deal.

The reason why double XP and stuff is praised is because the game is really long and has a lot of questing. This is an issue when creating alts for their class story, but isn't a huge issue on the first playthrough. You might not want to pay to get overleveled and skip content.

• Locked thread