Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wiggly posted:

A ticket came in!

"You're welcome"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Wiggly posted:

A ticket came in!
Its flux capacitor is broken.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

blackswordca posted:

Oh I have. Its just one guy here, everyone else is awesome.

You mean it's just one guy there now. You need to nip this in the bud, preferably with a baseball bat and a sound-proof conference room.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

God damnit, GreenNight!

Taking notes is for suckers if you have a peon on site to do all the work!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Wiggly posted:

A ticket came in!

quote:

My computer keeps logging me out of AOL, like in minutes.

When you switch him to broadband, make sure you carry over his free hours.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Daylen Drazzi posted:

You mean it's just one guy there now. You need to nip this in the bud, preferably with a baseball bat and a sound-proof conference room.

Ive been keeping my manager in the loop, shes going to follow up with dudeguy's manager

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
A new policy came in...

All support must now plug their keyboards into the front USB ports so they will notice if physical key loggers have been installed.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Ok, I'll bite. Did someone keylog someone else?

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Nah, "just a preventative measure".

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I´ll make a wild guess that this leaves about 99% of possible keylogging attacks still possible.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Xik posted:

Nah, "just a preventative measure".

"ah, the IT team must have upgraded me to the KEYLOGATRON Comfort Curve 9000 Keyboard whilst I was on break!"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

:byodame: "I'm getting these two shared mailboxes that directly pertain to my job function in my Outlook. None of my colleagues have them. Take me off!"
:what: "Are you sure it isn't your colleagues that are all set up wrong?"
:byodame: "Just get me off them, right now!"

Any bets she'll call again next week questioning why she had her access to two vital mailboxes removed?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Either way, production will be affected.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
IT decided to try letting users here change the toner cartridges in our big Canon MFP themselves to cut down on the number of tickets created. In the past few weeks this has resulted in:

Somebody dumping the waste toner cartridge all over the carpet.

Somebody unable to tell colours apart replacing the wrong cartridge and wedging two yellows into the thing.

Last week somebody didn't fit the waste cartridge correctly so the poor printer filled itself with toner from the inside out.

IT are back in charge of toner again.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I'm completely undecided on whether the people are actually that retarded or if they did that on purpose so they wouldn't have to change toner anymore in the future.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I was out buying a car and the whole place had physical mouse wiggler dongles that would ensure the screensaver didn't kick in and lock them out constantly (2 minutes). Yes, annoying, but the security measure might be there for a reason.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
It's more a question of responsibility. It's the same with work mobiles. they just get smashed to bit because people know that if they put them in the washing machine/ run them over in their car/ just smash them in anger nothing will happen, they will just get a replacement.

Same if you let them change toner. They know that if they literally break a toner in half and empty the contents on the floor then nothing will happen to them as their direct managers don't give a poo poo.

Make middle management responsible and accountable for your MFDs if you want to see some fun things happen to people.

Unfortunately this is not a reality that most people get to see, as most middle management are children and will stomp their feet unless you have a very strong C level team who agree on things and don't treat the office like their personal fiefdoms.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Xik posted:

A new policy came in...

All support must now plug their keyboards into the front USB ports so they will notice if physical key loggers have been installed.

Why not just disable all but the necessary USB ports in BIOS and then password protect BIOS? Then it doesn't matter a drat bit if someone installs a key logger because even the dumbest user is going to realize that their keyboard or mouse isn't working.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Why not just disable all but the necessary USB ports in BIOS and then password protect BIOS? Then it doesn't matter a drat bit if someone installs a key logger because even the dumbest user is going to realize that their keyboard or mouse isn't working.

You do know keyloggers are put between keyboard and port? :downs:

Also on the BIOS level you normally can only disable controller-wide.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Physical key loggers work because they're in between the keyboard and USB port.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The correct way to prevent keyloggers is having your computer towers inside a locked chassis only IT can open (usually a steel-reinforced desk with extended corners such that it's "open air" but you can't physically access the rear of the computer). Of course, this would require an actual budget.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Physical key loggers work because they're in between the keyboard and USB port.

Ahh, pardon my ignorance - I was thinking it was just a separate usb port device like a license dongle.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

univbee posted:

The correct way to prevent keyloggers is having your computer towers inside a locked chassis only IT can open (usually a steel-reinforced desk with extended corners such that it's "open air" but you can't physically access the rear of the computer). Of course, this would require an actual budget.

Then how would people charge their iPhones?

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013

Fil5000 posted:

If your employer takes security seriously enough that they are legitimately concerned about security breach via an attacker physically accessing the machines and placing covert keyloggers between the keyboards and computers, holy hell you should not be letting people plug their phones into your computers!

The last place I worked at that had concerns like that, in the lowest security areas everyone was contractually required to turn their phones off and put them in little lockable cubby holes situated at least 10m away from the nearest computer.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Sir_Substance posted:

If your employer takes security seriously enough that they are legitimately concerned about security breach via an attacker physically accessing the machines and placing covert keyloggers between the keyboards and computers, holy hell you should not be letting people plug their phones into your computers!

The last place I worked at that had concerns like that, in the lowest security areas everyone was contractually required to turn their phones off and put them in little lockable cubby holes situated at least 10m away from the nearest computer.

Preaching to the choir here - I was just predicting what most employees in most businesses would say in response to IT putting their PC in a metal box they couldn't get at.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sir_Substance posted:

At the last place I worked, plugging in any unauthorized device was grounds for dismissal (although you usually got a warning the first time it happened; they had monitors on all the computers so they weren't going to not know about it).

It was also a crazy-tightly-run ship, to the point where every one of the 30k machines had the exact same image; while support had an acount with local admin rights for each machine they were specifically not allowed to make changes that actually changed the base image; if a computer wasn't behaving and we couldn't get a situation resolved in like 20-30 minutes it was reimaged (although if it was a laptop we had to make drat sure their files were synced to their file server first).

People working from home/on the road had a company store that they had to buy their peripherals from, to ensure the computer had the drivers built into the image.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

You have to practically superglue them to the desks, though. I've had about 10 of them vanish over the last three months.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Upper management wants the universal file share to be cleaned up which is fine as it's becoming a little cluttered. Except they want the users to take a stab at it first!

This is going to end wonderfully. :allears: I'm backing it up in it's current state before sending out the e-mail.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 11, 2014

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

pr0digal posted:

Upper management wants the universal file share to be cleaned up which is fine as it's becoming a little cluttered. Except they want the users to take a stab at it first!

This is going to end wonderfully. :allears: I'm backing it up in it's current state before sending out the e-mail.

Please post a trip report for this! I hope it's more exiting than "no one touched anything because computers are scary"

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

MF_James posted:

Please post a trip report for this! I hope it's more exiting than "no one touched anything because computers are scary"

E-Mail Sent!

Reply back within 10 minutes: What if you refer back to season 1 of a show often and you dont want to archive or delete anything?

Then don't move it?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
A person came in…
From the mail room. She really appreciated my help a few weeks ago and called to ask if I wanted her to drop my mail off since the mail room closed a half hour ago. There was a package I wanted today rather than Monday so I guess this is one of the pluses of this job?

Plus this morning a bunch of administrative staff email blasted my boss about how helpful I was setting up a bunch of new computers yesterday and how good of a worker I am so it's been a good day.

They think I should get a raise, and it won't happen but it's nice to be appreciated.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Godsped posted:

A person came in…
From the mail room. She really appreciated my help a few weeks ago and called to ask if I wanted her to drop my mail off since the mail room closed a half hour ago. There was a package I wanted today rather than Monday so I guess this is one of the pluses of this job?

Plus this morning a bunch of administrative staff email blasted my boss about how helpful I was setting up a bunch of new computers yesterday and how good of a worker I am so it's been a good day.

They think I should get a raise, and it won't happen but it's nice to be appreciated.

On Monday a printer will jam and you'll be put on probation for your failure to predict and prevent it.

Circle of life.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

So quick status update.

The migration was completed but is a total gong show. Dudeguy basically took an old network drive with 30+ folders, several of which had 30+ folders in them and basically split them up into 15 departmental folders. I have a very rough chart of where folders were and what departmental folders they are in now.

What I have to do today is go to each person with a print out of the screen shot of the old folders and ask them which folders they used to use and if they made changes to the folders or not. A lot of people don't remember which of the 90+ folders they may need so it is going to take me days to get the client functional and it will probably be weeks of fixing minor permissions problems.

On the plus site, my billable rate for the next week or two will be really good.

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 11, 2014

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

blackswordca posted:

So quick status update.

The migration was completed but is a total gong show. Dudeguy basically took an old network drive with 30+ folders, several of which had 30+ folders in them and basically split them up into 15 departmental folders. I have a very rough chart of where folders were and what departmental folders they are in now.

What I have to do today is go to each person with a print out of the screen shot of the old folders and ask them which folders they used to use and if they made changes to the folders or not. A lot of people don't remember which of the 90+ folders they may need so it is going to take me days to get the client functional and it will probably be weeks of fixing minor permissions problems.

On the plus site, my billable rate for the next week or two will be really good.

It's awesome how fun diving into a project with poor planning can be (I'm fully realizing this isn't your fault).

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

blackswordca posted:

So quick status update.

Dudeguy manages to throw you under the bus after the client complains. You're bitched out by your boss and made to eat those billable hours, because the client won't pay for them. The fact that Dudeguy lied and hilariously underquoted the transfer is also your fault, apparently. You now have not met billable requirements and are now on probation.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah if I was the owner of the company that is paying those billable hours, I would be pissed as gently caress. Paying $140/hr or whatever for a dude to walk around to each user to see if they even remember their rights is some kind of bullshit. I'd never hire that company again.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

blackswordca posted:

So quick status update.

So like, did this guy manually copy the poo poo over? Why not just use Robocopy and be done with it in 20 minutes?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If one of my guys caused that loving mess we'd eat the time and I'd probably send the guy packing.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

m.hache posted:

So like, did this guy manually copy the poo poo over? Why not just use Robocopy and be done with it in 20 minutes?

I think they were all manual copies. The cheat sheet I was given had a screenshot of the new folders with letters A-R written beside them, then screenshots with most of the folder hierarchy of the old drive with letters beside each folder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

While this is a pretty big screw up by dudeguy the same could have been caused by a malicious employee, cryptolocker, hardware failure. Does the file server not have backups? Is the cost of restoring backups really high?

• Locked thread