Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That patch is supposed to arrive along with the first piece of DLC, right?

Also, I wonder if there will be any returning equipment pieces/spells this time around. I can't quite remember if there's a DS1 spell that isn't in this game, but boy I'd love to see some of the DS1 DLC stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Azran posted:

That patch is supposed to arrive along with the first piece of DLC, right?

Also, I wonder if there will be any returning equipment pieces/spells this time around. I can't quite remember if there's a DS1 spell that isn't in this game, but boy I'd love to see some of the DS1 DLC stuff.

There's a bunch of spell descriptions ripped from the beta that never made it into the game (such as a homing fireball, twop that damages the user during the duration, buff that turns Int into Dex) and one spell in the beta that never made it in/was changed (basically a combination of flame swathe and great combustion). Maybe they'll add in some of those.

Whix posted:

If they really fixed item swapping maybe more people will join the blood arena in NG and with improved matchmaking it could be fun.
Item swapping?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I wonder if that means scaling will actually be worthwhile now? It would be nice, unlikely as that is.

That changes not only every weapon, but every armor set and I really doubt they're doing anything that drastic.

Azran posted:

Not every spell made it over. Dark Bead, White Dragon Breath, Black Flame, Gravelord (Great)Sword Dance, maybe more. Undead Rapport?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Power Within :getin:

If they bring that back I would be real stoked. It would probably have to be nerfed though, because lifegems make it rather easy to mitigate the HP drain.

Lemonpieman
Jan 18, 2010
No Numbness length nerf? Huh. I would have thought that would be pretty high on the priority list considered how broken it became after the enchantment nerf. Maybe it won't be as bonkers because of the armor nerf, but who knows at this point.

e: and great magic barrier too I guess, but infusions and enchantments are the worst so I dont care about that. Although making scaling useful again (yesss) might make me change my mind.

Lemonpieman fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Jul 11, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

That's in, it's just renamed to Dark Hail and has way lower damage.

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!

Genocyber posted:

Item swapping?

Where you drop an item and pick up another.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Manatee Cannon posted:

That changes not only every weapon, but every armor set and I really doubt they're doing anything that drastic.

Not every spell made it over. Dark Bead, White Dragon Breath, Black Flame, Gravelord (Great)Sword Dance, maybe more. Undead Rapport?

What do you mean that changes every armor set and weapon? What does? Making scaling on weapons good?

Also when's this patch supposed to come out?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yes, making every weapon do more damage and every armor set have more defense would change them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

They kind of can't.

There is a giant table of numbers that holds the data for every scaling multiplier of every single reinforcement level of every single weapon. It would be a nightmare to change it all at once.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So this means they are killing item morphing? My fashion souls :negative:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Zedd posted:

So this means they are killing item morphing? My fashion souls :negative:

No, they're killing a specific glitch.

They can't get rid of modifying dropped items even if they wanted to.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tallgeese posted:

No, they're killing a specific glitch.

They can't get rid of modifying dropped items even if they wanted to.

As the patron saint of cheat engine whatsits, riddle me this: Does this game work the same way as Dark Souls 1 did, where updates shuffle the item hex and image filename deck and they all have to be hosed with and figured out again? I hadn't used any cheat engine stuff in DS2 until the most recent update so I don't know if it's always been the same as it is now.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The people who made scripts were a lot smarter about it this time. Many of them are futureproof.

Not all, however.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Ow... Oh cool, these spider things don't seem to cause poison damage like the rats did-"
*Mace and Spear wiff harmlessly past/through spiders while standing right on top of them*
"...Mother fucker."

Okay, now there are TWO sources of "difficulty" for me in this game. Everything dealing 300% more damage than the last game, and enemies I am basically not allowed to hit without jumping through loving hoops.

What is the easiest method for capping FPS to 30 for someone with the computer savvy of a caveman? At least the large club MOTHER loving HITS THESE THINGS and is only 12 weight (some of my lighter options like Halberds hit but are doing sad damage), but even with the bracing ring on, I drop to 57/70 Durability on it after killing only 6 spiders or so.

I somehow doubt From will ever fist the FPS = brittle glass weapons bug.

EDIT: vvv I normally do, Craftman's hammer+Spear or Mace/+Spear, Viking sword+spear, or similar weight loads alongside a Sea Bow and shield. But I literally have never had durability issues except with the Great Hammer/Axe, and ultra greatswords. In which case they explode on me mid boss fight after going directly to them from a bonfire (Hi! Skeleton lords!). I want great smashey weapons because spiders, like rats, seem to have a complete BITCH of a hitbox and I do not want to have to hit them too many extra times solely because I need a weapon that will actually HIT them without facing my camera directly up and down at the ground and praying.

That and, you now, multiple Great Hammer/axe weapons would kind of weigh a fuckton. Especially when using a greatshield. But sure I'll just loving carry a large club and a Grym's great hammer for however far past 100% weight capacity that is to make up for a durability glitch, that's practical.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 11, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Section Z posted:

What is the easiest method for capping FPS to 30 for someone with the computer savvy of a caveman?

Carry 2 weapons.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Here are the officially translated notes. I didn't see them posted anywhere.

http://farfire.darksoulsii.com/pc/information/index.html

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I am not sure what to think about this hatemail.

quote:

Ados: Country?
Tallgeese: I see no reason to answer.
Ados: LOL
Ados: MAKES SENSE
Ados: BRASILIAN
Ados: LOLOL
Tallgeese: Uh, no. Sorry.
Ados: Oh my bad
Ados: Fat american?
Ados: diabetes?
Tallgeese: You seem an awfully racist fellow.
Ados: How is american a race?
Ados: I mean I guess you guys are uneducated
Tallgeese: I was referring to the Brazilian part mainly.
Tallgeese: Regardless, you are very prejudiced. You know, it is said that prejudice tends to decrease with education... I wonder, what does that say about you?
Ados: LOL YOU ARE BR
Ados: I loving HATE YOUR PEOPLE
Ados: SO MUCH
Ados: THEY RUIN EVERY GAME I EVER PLAY WITH THEIR LAG
Ados: HOW DOES IT FEEL THAT YOU'RE EITHER STARVING OR STARVING YOUR PEOPLE
Ados: HOW PATHIC
Ados: 7-1
Ados: GRATZ
Ados: GAME IS HARD
Tallgeese: That was an impressive tirade.
Ados: 2ez
Ados: br trash
Ados: Name one good thing your people have ever done

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Tallgeese posted:

Carnival *drops mic*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Section Z posted:

"Ow... Oh cool, these spider things don't seem to cause poison damage like the rats did-"
*Mace and Spear wiff harmlessly past/through spiders while standing right on top of them*
"...Mother fucker."

Okay, now there are TWO sources of "difficulty" for me in this game. Everything dealing 300% more damage than the last game, and enemies I am basically not allowed to hit without jumping through loving hoops.

I vaguely recall that there's a Lightning Spear in a chest somewhere around there that works really well on spiders.

Bring your mace back out for the boss though. It's a somewhat bigger spider.

Summon if it's getting frustrating. Tseldora has one of the two worst runs to the boss room in the game (the other one being Undead Crypt with that whole dance of having to aggro two Syans from the phalanx at a time, I just gave up and loaded the gently caress up on lifegems then tanked hits until one of the two died)

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

Ados: HOW PATHIC

Looks like he burned you pretty bad there.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Tallgeese posted:

Something about the way you type makes me think you're probably more of a piece of poo poo than the racist.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Schwack posted:

Now it just sounds like GRS and miracles are getting less casts, and miracles more scaling, on top of the tracking. Looks like they're buffing Santier's Spear again too.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

RBA Starblade posted:

Looks like they're buffing Santier's Spear again too.

Why?

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

Something about the way you type makes me think you're probably more of a piece of poo poo than the racist.

Seriously? You seem to be letting your outside knowledge of Tallgeese's proclivities color your evaluation. Which you shouldn't as Tallgeese makes very interesting contributions, and always uses his powers for good (or at least hilarity, which in the end is the same thing).

They're buffing a ton of weapons. The aim is to make all weapons a valid choice, including this one. It was a problem in the past and deserved its nerf, true, but that doesn't mean no one should ever touch it again... just hopefully not so many people.

Also, Starblade, GRS is getting some more damage, it's one of the last notes.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm actually happy that scaling will work better with miracles even if it means fewer casts.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
I'm a bit sad they didn't touch the vanilla whip, since you have no reason to use it over the bloodied whip for PvE, or the old whip for PvP.

But hey the status effect whips are better. That's something.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Section Z posted:

What is the easiest method for capping FPS to 30 for someone with the computer savvy of a caveman? At least the large club MOTHER loving HITS THESE THINGS and is only 12 weight (some of my lighter options like Halberds hit but are doing sad damage), but even with the bracing ring on, I drop to 57/70 Durability on it after killing only 6 spiders or so.

I somehow doubt From will ever fist the FPS = brittle glass weapons bug.

This should be in the OP if it's not: stop swinging after things are dead. It's especially easy with giant weapons since their damage is big slow bursts. Be really careful about if you're going to kill something with an attack, don't swing again, and if there are other enemies back up and reposition. After doing this I almost never had a problem with durability. Still keep a second weapon on hand in case. Dropping a small soapstone periodically is also a neat way to pop in another game, kill a few mobs, and get back to yours with a refreshed weapon.

sex shop clearance rack
Jan 20, 2011
Seriously loving the fact that From seems intent on buffing a lot of the lesser-used weapons. Even the loving work hook is being adjusted.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Batigh posted:

Also, Starblade, GRS is getting some more damage, it's one of the last notes.

Oh I see it now, it was separate from the others. Guess what I said still holds up then. Though, by "tracking" does it mean that you'll pivot when locked on to fire, or does it mean that the spell will home in slightly on the target when in motion?

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Schwack posted:

No healing of any kind during PVP? :getin:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
* Still no reason to do Brotherhood of Blood invasions
* Still able to roll right the gently caress through absolutely any attack of any kind
* Still able to buffstack to hell and back
* Still able to get PVP matched against someone 400 levels higher or lower than yourself
* Still able to kill approx. 6 enemies with a giant club made out of solid rock before it breaks
* Still can get instantly stunlocked while wearing heavy armor if your opponent is dual wielding some form of cooking utensil

But thank Christ the Redeemer that Unveil and Immolation now take fewer attunement slots!

Nah, I will keep an open mind. With that many changes, there is bound to be improvement.

I am curious to find out exactly what "Health Recovery Items can no longer be used during any PvP" means, because at face value that means that a world master cannot use estus when invaded. Perhaps invasions are not considered PvP.

Also "Increased the matching range for users in online play" is pretty vague and not reassuring...

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Schwack posted:

Patch Notes: Shortened the amount of time stunned when taking damage from multiple attacks

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is an attempt to stop dual Dragonkeeper's Sword stunlock right?

buzzsaw.gif posted:

* Still able to roll right the gently caress through absolutely any attack of any kind

This is honestly my biggest gripe with DS2 PvP, if you wanted to be a flippy ninja in DS1 PvP it would take you one of your two ring slots and also force you to wear either fairly light armour or pump all your stats into endurance so you can be a ninja Havel. Now everyone can be a ninja Havel!

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 11, 2014

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

xNarUtoRKOrton420x posted:

This is honestly my biggest gripe with DS2 PvP, if you wanted to be a flippy ninja in DS1 PvP it would take you one of your two ring slots and also force you to wear either fairly light armour or pump all your stats into endurance so you can be a ninja Havel. Now everyone can be a ninja Havel!

me too, brother. me too.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I get the frustration, but how else are people supposed to close in on casters if they can't roll through/around spells?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well, they are nerfing heavy armor in general. Still, people in heavy lumbering armor should be vulnerable to attackers wearing them down through hit-and-run attacks. Right now they can tank whatever you throw at them and just mow you down at full speed while giving zero fucks

"lol u loving suck at this game because you can't do a drat thing about my invincible armor, git gud :smug:"

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
I think the issue with rolling is that you no longer need to have a low equipment load to get a fast roll and lots of invincibility frames. Rolling through spells was easy enough in DS1 even with a medium roll but if you wanted to spin around like a rabbit casually dodging everything you had to sacrifice armor and ring slots to be able to do it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Small and Blue posted:

I think the issue with rolling is that you no longer need to have a low equipment load to get a fast roll and lots of invincibility frames. Rolling through spells was easy enough in DS1 even with a medium roll but if you wanted to spin around like a rabbit casually dodging everything you had to sacrifice armor and ring slots to be able to do it.

No you didn't. You could very easily get both ninja flip and hit one of the poise breakpoints. http://mmdks.com/39nl Aka the most common build after the DLC patch.

I do agree some armor should be heavier to account for more leeway with equip load. Or just make you outright fatroll (that would be a neat property for the Ironclad chest piece).

Mr Dog posted:

Well, they are nerfing heavy armor in general. Still, people in heavy lumbering armor should be vulnerable to attackers wearing them down through hit-and-run attacks. Right now they can tank whatever you throw at them and just mow you down at full speed while giving zero fucks

"lol u loving suck at this game because you can't do a drat thing about my invincible armor, git gud :smug:"

Heavy armor doesn't mean jack poo poo without defense. Which is key, because a lot of people in heavy armor do not have ridiculous defense, especially at the lower SM tiers. I fight plenty of people in Havel's and Smelter's and they don't have much high defense because they're either not very high leveled, or have not upgraded the armor.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That's in, it's just renamed to Dark Hail and has way lower damage.

Just to add, white dragon breath is in too, it's just called "soul bolt" and is really crummy. Kind of like white dragon breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had to go to a guide to figure out what to do after the Dragon Aerie... did I totally miss the game guiding you to the next thing?