Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
There was scanning in Dark Souls? Are you sure you're not thinking of Kinko's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

judge reinhold posted:

There was scanning in Dark Souls? Are you sure you're not thinking of Kinko's?
No, but you might be confusing it with Kinko's because Dark Souls is a derivative copy of Metroid Prime.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The age-old question: what came first, the Dark Souls or the Metroid Prime?

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

FactsAreUseless posted:

No, but you might be confusing it with Kinko's because Dark Souls is a derivative copy of Metroid Prime.

Kinko's, much like Shovel Knight, SpinTires, Cookie Clicker, and Rogue Legacy, all contain distinctive Dark Soulsian elements. So I can understand the comparison. I read Polygon.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Scanning is an advanced form of sorcery. If you try to scan King Jeremiah the game just crashes as intended.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

So what I'm getting is:
-Fix the audio setup, both for initial recording and post-commentary. (Part of the problem was the fact that I thought I'd have to record audio/video separately for reasons of balance and being able to hear the game without any delay with my current setup. This has since been corrected.)
-Edit superfluous scans like crazy, and keep up important ones for longer. (I read fast and am generally a completionist twit, so good to know.)
-Change the title to something better than the current one. (The point at the time was that both games will happily dump lots of information on you if you let them - a bit flawed, perhaps?)
-Correct the commentary style. (Neither of us was bored - though Will was kinda reading some of the text back - but we're both low-key folks and I can understand why it may have sounded as if we were bored.)
- Better clarify the direction of the LP. (It's about showing off a skilled playthrough with commentary on the series as a whole.)

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

NGDBSS posted:

-Change the title to something better than the current one. (The point at the time was that both games will happily dump lots of information on you if you let them - a bit flawed, perhaps?)

Did I play the same Dark Souls as everyone else? Just to clarify, Dark Souls was the one where they had jiggle physics and played volleyball.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

judge reinhold posted:

Did I play the same Dark Souls as everyone else? Just to clarify, Dark Souls was the one where they had jiggle physics and played volleyball.

Yes, that's the one everyone played.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean I get what the joke is; a lot of the lore comes from reading item descriptions and the same goes from Metroid Prime except with scanning. Except, it's not really humorous so much as an "I understood that reference" joke. I don't think it's that big a deal though. :\

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

NGDBSS posted:

So what I'm getting is:
-Fix the audio setup, both for initial recording and post-commentary. (Part of the problem was the fact that I thought I'd have to record audio/video separately for reasons of balance and being able to hear the game without any delay with my current setup. This has since been corrected.)
-Edit superfluous scans like crazy, and keep up important ones for longer. (I read fast and am generally a completionist twit, so good to know.)
-Correct the commentary style. (Neither of us was bored - though Will was kinda reading some of the text back - but we're both low-key folks and I can understand why it may have sounded as if we were bored.)
- Better clarify the direction of the LP. (It's about showing off a skilled playthrough with commentary on the series as a whole.)

More Lore Than You Can Shake A Lordran At! - Let's Play Metroid Prime

More Scanning Than A Grocery Store on Thanksgiving - Let's play Metroid Prime!

This Ain't Dark Souls - Let's Play Metroid Prime!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Chozo Lore Downloaded: Let's Play Metroid Prime

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Whatever, you're not my mom - Let's Play Metroid Prime

I learned it from you, dad!!! - Let's play Metroid Prime

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

bathroomrage posted:

More Lore Than You Can Shake A Lordran At! - Let's Play Metroid Prime

More Scanning Than A Grocery Store on Thanksgiving - Let's play Metroid Prime!

This Ain't Dark Souls - Let's Play Metroid Prime!

A Scanner Dark Soulsy - Let's Play Metroid Prime

Ridley is basically a Drake - Let's Play Metroid Prime

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Lazyfire posted:

A Scanner Dark Soulsy - Let's Play Metroid Prime

Ridley is basically a Drake - Let's Play Metroid Prime

Phaz-on: Apply directly to your Scan Visor.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

slowbeef posted:

Phaz-on: Apply directly to your Scan Visor.

Ok, I like this one way better.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Chozo Lore Downloaded: Let's Play Metroid Prime

The Chozo Mythos

This isn't Derivative of anything, let's Play Metroid Prime.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
All this backtracking is giving me Dark Soles. Let's play Custer's Revenge. They buried ET in the desert.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Other M Is Also Metroid - Let's Play Metroid Prime

The Prequel To Metroid Prime Pinball - Let's Play Metroid Prime

Let's Explore Space Pirate Science In Metroid Prime

Cooler Than An Ice Shriekbat - It's Metroid Prime

Just Phendrana Driftin' In Metroid Prime

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Your resolution is wrong because TV's use non-square pixels blah blah blah.

Long story short instead of 1080x720 it should be 960x720.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Lost all my updates in the first level, let's play Metroid Prime

WraithMind
Jan 26, 2011
No baby, let's play Metroid Prime

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Metroid Prime

Brevity.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ghost Morphball the Chozo Statue: Let's Play Metroid Prime

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Metro(id): Last Good Game In The Franchise - Let's Play Metroid Prime

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
"Forget it, I changed my mind. I'm not gonna - Let's Play Metroid: Prime"

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Let's Play Metroid Prime From Retro Studios, A Gamecube Game Released In 2002 To Criti

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

steinrokkan posted:

Metroid Prime

Brevity.

Omit needles scans. LP Metroid Prime.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Well, I guess it's as good a time as any to ask.

I was also planning on doing an LP of Metroid Prime. This happened once before, where someone else made a test post/thread as I was planning to do one of my own.

I know there's no rules about multiple threads, etc. but you have to agree that in a lot of cases, two threads of the same game at the same time result in one of them having a lot of activity and the other not, and I would like to have good discussion about the lore and scan data in the thread when I play it.

If I decided to wait for NGDBSS' thread to finish up before doing my own, how long would you say is enough time to wait so people don't feel like they've already said anything they were going to say about it?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Do you think that people who are passionate about a game won't be willing to write about it twice? I wouldn't worry too much, Metroid is popular enough to nourish multiple LPs.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

frozentreasure posted:

I was also planning on doing an LP of Metroid Prime. This happened once before, where someone else made a test post/thread as I was planning to do one of my own.

I know there's no rules about multiple threads, etc. but you have to agree that in a lot of cases, two threads of the same game at the same time result in one of them having a lot of activity and the other not, and I would like to have good discussion about the lore and scan data in the thread when I play it.

If I decided to wait for NGDBSS' thread to finish up before doing my own, how long would you say is enough time to wait so people don't feel like they've already said anything they were going to say about it?

:justpost:

Either give us more RPMs (Ridleys per Minute), or you could team up and combine your powers.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I was gonna say :justpost: but somebody beat me to it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Bellmaker posted:

:justpost:

Either give us more RPMs (Ridleys per Minute), or you could team up and combine your powers.

Blind Sally posted:

I was gonna say :justpost: but somebody beat me to it.

These posts are wrong, you took too long to mention that you wanted to do a Let's Play and now the Metroid Prime ship has sailed. Sucks, I know, but that's how Let's Play is. One to a game and maybe two in extenuating circumstances. :/

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Variety is the spice of life, Frozentreasure, :justpost:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Quick question. I'm working on putting together a test post for a FFXIV hybrid let's play, but even at 720p, the screenshots seem a bit too large. Does anyone have any recommendations about the size of the images, or would that just be fine?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CrashScreen posted:

Quick question. I'm working on putting together a test post for a FFXIV hybrid let's play, but even at 720p, the screenshots seem a bit too large. Does anyone have any recommendations about the size of the images, or would that just be fine?

Since it's a test post you could always include several versions of the same screenshot in different sizes while keep the same ratios and see what the forum thinks.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Rule of thumb is <1000px wide, I believe. Some people don't browse with a full window though, tends to come up whenever someone asks about width.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Also, phones.

Anyhow, 1280 wide is pretty wide, yes. Running at 1920x1080 and resizing down to 960x540 seems to be pretty common in the Old Republic threads, to take one similar point of data. A lot depends on whether or not there's a UI you need to crop out.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Understood, thanks. I'll play about, but also make a few different versions and see what everyone thinks. 960x540 seems a good shout. I'll see how that affects things. Cheers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Since I don't think I'll get a straight answer in there: what the hell is the [Redacted] thread? Some kind of horrible communal joke that blew in from the gas chamber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

Speedball posted:

Since I don't think I'll get a straight answer in there: what the hell is the [Redacted] thread? Some kind of horrible communal joke that blew in from the gas chamber?

Hi! I'm Pins! I'm new here and i'm doing my first LP in that thread. If you have any questions or comments on how to make my LP (Let's play) better I'd be happy to hear them (=

• Locked thread