Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

For some reason D&D seems like the dumbest forum to report in. Like, isn't the unspoken agreement we're all here because we're insufferable argumentative assholes? Why would you not just argue with someone?

That guy with the Bob Costas avatar seems pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

what are you even doing here if thats your go-to

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

illrepute posted:

what are you even doing here if thats your go-to

What?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

what are you doing here

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is this where you start loudly asking if you're being detained, illrepute?

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
this is actually where i go to sleep because there's no reason for that kind of unfriendliness in the friendly chat thread. peace

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

zoux posted:

Post em. Post all hilarious reports itt.

Do this Xylo. Your posts in the 'make the mod forum pubic' GBS thread were beautiful.

Reporting, like most things, is alright in moderation. NWS and Chimpout/Stormfront level bigotry are good things to report.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

What a worthwhile post!

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

kelvron posted:

Do this Xylo. Your posts in the 'make the mod forum pubic' GBS thread were beautiful.

Reporting, like most things, is alright in moderation. NWS and Chimpout/Stormfront level bigotry are good things to report.

Thirding. Shame the dumbfucks! Shame them!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Z

Z

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Or just give me access to the modqueue and I'll post em :angel:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Finally got around to finishing Piketty.

Was great (though somewhat depressing) overall, but the final section on the global capital tax felt a bit weak compared to the rest (and was lacking in references to Austen and Balzac). Getting a non-Anglosphere perspective on things was interesting.

Very much recommended.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

zoux posted:

Or just give me access to the modqueue and I'll post em :angel:

the modqueue is different from the reports forum #truefactsrevealed

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

StandardVC10 posted:

What a worthwhile post!

Cry about it b*tch haha. Sorry just getting my agression out at a perceived slight.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW

tbp posted:

Cry about it b*tch haha. Sorry just getting my agression out at a perceived slight.

sorry friend. i spent like. twelve hours in the i/p thread. i'm crazier than a rattlesnake in a can right now

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

For some reason D&D seems like the dumbest forum to report in. Like, isn't the unspoken agreement we're all here because we're insufferable argumentative assholes? Why would you not just argue with someone?
i'm sometimes tempted to report poor trolls - like, not in the 'yawn, fly away troll' kind of way but in the 'this is the easiest forum to troll and somehow you're still struggling' kind of way. then i remember i don't give a poo poo and don't.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

illrepute posted:

sorry dude. i spent like. twelve hours in the i/p thread. i'm crazier than a rattlesnake in a can right now

Dude, that's hazardous to your health. Open a window, let the fumes out before you suffocate.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We should have one I/P thread every year but only have it open for 24 hours.

It'll be like that movie The Purge only somehow shittier and even more boring.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

paragon1 posted:

We should have one I/P thread every year but only have it open for 24 hours.

It'll be like that movie The Purge only somehow shittier and even more boring.

On the other hand, D&D debate events would be pretty cool. Formal debate is awesome and getting into it when you're not in junior high is nearly impossible.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Formal debate is actually worthless

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Cheekio posted:

On the other hand, D&D debate events would be pretty cool. Formal debate is awesome and getting into it when you're not in junior high is nearly impossible.
Formal debate is a contest of who can speak fastest. It's loving awful.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I rule that Cheekio is the winner of this impromptu policy debate.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

Formal debate is actually worthless

Lots of things that are fun are otherwise worthless. I enjoy formal debate to an extent.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Thanatosian posted:

Formal debate is a contest of who can speak fastest. It's loving awful.

Only stupid formats like policy.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Wasn't there a debate championship where the team won that basically broke with all traditions of debate and called the whole format stupid? Because if you can win at debate by calling debate stupid that kinda makes a good point on formal debates being, in fact, stupid.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
For the record, although I'm not all that knowledgeable on the subject, there are several different formats or rulesets for formal debate, and iirc they're not all equally worthless.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

So I'm helping my family clean out my Grandfather's apartment, and found most of his Republican memorabilia. Life membership pins, commemorative presidential coins, and a few other things. I don't think my Uncles (one's a docent at the GWB Presidential Library, the other's pretty GOProud too), my pretty non-political aunt, or my liberal mother want any of it. Do anyone here have any ideas what I should do with it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Randler posted:

Wasn't there a debate championship where the team won that basically broke with all traditions of debate and called the whole format stupid? Because if you can win at debate by calling debate stupid that kinda makes a good point on formal debates being, in fact, stupid.

CX/Policy is all about stupid meta bullshit like that so it's not a "one time deal".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

kelvron posted:

So I'm helping my family clean out my Grandfather's apartment, and found most of his Republican memorabilia. Life membership pins, commemorative presidential coins, and a few other things. I don't think my Uncles (one's a docent at the GWB Presidential Library, the other's pretty GOProud too), my pretty non-political aunt, or my liberal mother want any of it. Do anyone here have any ideas what I should do with it?

1) Take pictures, post here

2) Pretend to throw into bonfire in Facebook post

3) Actually sell them on Ebay (there's a huge collector market for campaign memorabilia)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

kelvron posted:

Create a self-challenge thread.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Randler posted:

A friend of mine said his debate team got creamed because the team that went on to win the competition made a compelling case against the axiom of an absolute truth, invalidating their opponents' claims.

How can you not get off on that sort of thing?

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Cheekio posted:

by not being a total nerd

*wedgies this nerd - HARD!*

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

kelvron posted:

Get it appraised. You might be able to make a killing at auction if there's something rare enough

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Cheekio posted:

A friend of mine said his debate team got creamed because the team that went on to win the competition made a compelling case against the axiom of an absolute truth, invalidating their opponents' claims.

As much as it pains me to say that but I completely agree with R. Mute's counterargument on this matter.

(PS: Letting college students debate anything is even dumber than debates)

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cheekio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8cZUhiP3us

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Cheekio posted:

That sounds even less informative or interesting than the I/P thread.

"You can't disprove solipsism, check and mate. :smug:" --- an argument judged triumphant by a panel of their peers, apparently.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Cheekio posted:

This is cool as long as my counter-argument could be to simply assert that might makes right, punch the other dude in the jaw, and declare victory.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

This is cool as long as my counter-argument could be to simply assert that might makes right, punch the other dude in the jaw, and declare victory.

See, this is what I'm talking about.

"As my opponent will not let me kick him repeatedly in the balls, it appears he conceeds that the material world exists and is of value. Therefore, Palestine really deserves recognition as a state."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
All Debate Disco debates will, of course, be in Lincoln-Douglas style debate format. All arguments must also be set to funky dance grooves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Pics as requested. (Phone posting so just a gallery link for now. I'll fix it later.)

http://imgur.com/a/gETqg

The invitation memento to Kit Bond's Inauguration and Ball is on a hefty slab of marble.

paragon1 posted:

All Debate Disco debates will, of course, be in Lincoln-Douglas style debate format. All arguments must also be set to funky dance grooves.

Will the 'Lincoln' poster be taking us to a gay bar afterwards?

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 11, 2014

• Locked thread