Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

It is worth nothing that we didn't actually send any troops to Ixachitlan for this war, we only had our 20,000 strong colonial force and most of the fighting was done by our colonies. They have grown to the point where they can defend themselves, which puts a different kind of pressure on their relationship with Lübeck.

The Aztecs are in a similar place to the Ottoman Empire in the 19th century, even if it is not an exact parallel. They enjoyed a position of hegemony for several centuries, but eventually they stagnated and their antagonistic relationship with every neighbor drove them to political isolation. Worse, many of their best and brightest have migrated to New Aztlan or Mahuatiquez, growing powers in their own right.

The nations who have us as rivals right now are an interesting collection. The Shoshone, Incas, Malaya, Poland, Scandinavia and Kilwa. Of these, the Incas are stronger than the Hansa, but they don't have the naval or diplomatic reach to threaten us. Malaya can very likely beat both us and the Shun on the seas and then take over every isle in the Pacific, but they have softer targets in the Oste Wasi and Scotland, so they'd rather bully those nations instead. Our other rivals aren't much of a threat, but I have been purposefully avoiding any aggression against Kilwa or the Shoshone, as I want them around for V2, where they may become more credible opponents.

Italy, New Aztlan, Altaia, Karnata, Latin Empire, Ukraine, Neubauten and the Shun are all real threats. Three of which have been neutered through diplomacy, while Italy and the Latins simply have different interests even if our paths cross due to tangled alliances. The Altaics do threaten our Ukrainian allies, and the Rurikovich are often starved for manpower due to supporting the Emperor in various campaigns. Karnata wants our colonies but, like Malaya, they have softer targets to pursue. And Neubauten, well, they are certainly a problem in the long-term, as even if they remain loyal subjects well into V2 they remain a prime candidate to Great Powering their way into independence and challenging Lübeck for control of the other colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Can we get a world map by the way? That would be super helpful.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
By the way, what is the condition for the Timurid Empire to become the Altaic Confederation? Weak claim heir or something?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

This one from 1731 is mostly accurate, with the exception of the results of the two wars we just fought.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Have the Carthaginians-in-exile ever been relevant to anything? I'm honestly expecting the Inka to take them out any day now.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Manchus-in-exile are a tad amusing. Also, the Oirats (?) are still doing pretty well for themselves, despite being stuck between two great powers.

Edit: Also Ethiopia.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Qart Haddasht bounced back pretty solidly to my surprise, actually. They are almost unifying New Canaan and have even regained territory in Africa. They enjoy a pretty solid alliance with New Aztlan and Mahuatiquez and are a major naval power.

GSD posted:

By the way, what is the condition for the Timurid Empire to become the Altaic Confederation? Weak claim heir or something?

Turning into any kind of republic does it, but that is a good second option for when I update the mod again.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I would assume the justification for the Hansa's huge rear end army is lots and lots of mercenaries? 200,000 troops is a lot when our total population(in V2 terms) is like, what, 5 million? One in twenty five men is part of a professional armed service. That isn't too bad, but it is really quite high. What's our max manpower?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like the Shawnee and Cherokee blips - they stopped trying to make sense of what's going on a long time ago.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Sampatrick posted:

I would assume the justification for the Hansa's huge rear end army is lots and lots of mercenaries? 200,000 troops is a lot when our total population(in V2 terms) is like, what, 5 million? One in twenty five men is part of a professional armed service. That isn't too bad, but it is really quite high. What's our max manpower?

And foreign legions under direct control of the League, since a lot of our forcelimit comes from having colonial subjects. Maximum manpower is at ~127k, which is probably a closer number to men under arms, but I wouldn't give it that much thought as game mechanics trump simulation in EU4. It is only V2 where each soldier correlates to a POP.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sampatrick posted:

Uh just because we had 'control' over territory in the eastern seaboard doesn't mean jack poo poo in regards to whether or not we actually controlled the territory. I would argue that we claimed most of the eastern seaboard, but it would've taken until like 1650 before we really had any actual control over the territory. Also, 200 years is a long rear end time, but remember that they were still increasing in population as we began to claim land in America. They've had no major wars or occupations of their territory since it was claimed; I would expect that their population is AT LEAST at it's pre epidemic levels, and likely slightly or maybe even significantly higher than that. Also I never said the population or economy are comparable to India, I said the colonial government is probably similar to the British East India Company.

E: To the person who said that I have never played Paradox games; look at how many artillery are in his armies. I won't say that he's minmaxed, but he definitely is using an optimal distribution of infantry, cavalry, and artillery, given his massive quantity of artillery, relatively small quantity of cavalry, and, towards the end of the update especially, slightly less infantry than artillery. This is the best army comp in the game. That seemed kind of clear o.0

If the epidemics were anything like they were in our time though, the population would need to multiply tenfold to get back to pre-epidemic levels. Remember, for the majority of the coastal territory Neubaten owns, they didn't conquer the area from the natives, they showed up with colonists because the land was mostly empty.

For context here, the global population dropped by about 20% during the Black Death, and it took about 200 years to recover from that 20% drop. Historically, the New World plagues turned The Americas outside of New Spain into a literal post-apocalyptic wasteland (albeit one so pretty that the colonists of the time had no idea of the extent of what had happened just prior to their arrival in earnest). Up to 90% of the population of the New World may have died in the epidemics, in the majority of the continent before the first European colonist even set foot on the area. If anything remotely approaching that scenario happened in this timeline, the native population of Eastern North America isn't going to be anywhere near the sort of population levels where an East India Company style of government is going to be the rule of the day. Those areas in the LP are Christian and German cultured, and sadly I see no reason to believe that's not because the natives in those areas are almost all dead, just like in our history.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ZearothK, I dunno why your LP is getting audited, I'm thoroughly enjoying it at least as much as I enjoyed Hohenzollern or the Jerusalem AAR. :)

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
I'm still enjoying reading the lp a lot, too. With these things, the style of writing is half the fun, tbh.

But I do get how being invaded by two huge armies during a 'time of troubles' and losing nothing at all does underline that this lp is following a country that is currently too big to really fail. When compared to the likes of Denmark, Ghana and Azerbaijan being smashed to pieces in other lps and I can see why people are saying there's a lack of tension. This Hansa is currently in a position where it's never really in any real danger, it's simply too big and too rich.

But like I said it's the style of writing in the updates that keeps me reading more than the events and it is really enjoyable and readable which is the main thing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
And personally, while I do enjoy the narrative style of the LP, I think the fact that the author is not intentionally neutering himself to be a refreshing change of pace. Most of the other LPs like this "shake it up" just by deliberately losing every once in a while, which is in itself getting a little old. It's nice seeing someone setting themselves a challenge and then playing to win for a change.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Reveilled posted:

If the epidemics were anything like they were in our time though, the population would need to multiply tenfold to get back to pre-epidemic levels. Remember, for the majority of the coastal territory Neubaten owns, they didn't conquer the area from the natives, they showed up with colonists because the land was mostly empty.

For context here, the global population dropped by about 20% during the Black Death, and it took about 200 years to recover from that 20% drop. Historically, the New World plagues turned The Americas outside of New Spain into a literal post-apocalyptic wasteland (albeit one so pretty that the colonists of the time had no idea of the extent of what had happened just prior to their arrival in earnest). Up to 90% of the population of the New World may have died in the epidemics, in the majority of the continent before the first European colonist even set foot on the area. If anything remotely approaching that scenario happened in this timeline, the native population of Eastern North America isn't going to be anywhere near the sort of population levels where an East India Company style of government is going to be the rule of the day. Those areas in the LP are Christian and German cultured, and sadly I see no reason to believe that's not because the natives in those areas are almost all dead, just like in our history.

Uh half of what you just said is wrong. You're operating from this point of view where all the disease death happened all at once. This is not what happened in the Americas. What happened, and the reason why the population became so small, is that outbreaks of diseases like Smallpox kept on happening over long periods of time. In this timeline, we had a single outbreak of smallpox which, as far as has been told to us, was the only significant outbreak. In this timeline, we have to assume that the natives possessed a greater ability to withstand the plagues, which means that the people who would've died didn't. I would expect that in this timeline, smallpox was about as deadly as the bubonic plague in Europe; otherwise, all of the native states would have collapsed because their work force was dead. Also, I would assume based on the presence of Vinland that the natives already went through a smallpox epidemic in the past, which would explain why they didn't all die from this epidemic; they had already recovered from the apocalypse, and now had an immune system equipped to handle Eurasian diseases.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Uh half of what you just said is wrong. You're operating from this point of view where all the disease death happened all at once. This is not what happened in the Americas. What happened, and the reason why the population became so small, is that outbreaks of diseases like Smallpox kept on happening over long periods of time. In this timeline, we had a single outbreak of smallpox which, as far as has been told to us, was the only significant outbreak. In this timeline, we have to assume that the natives possessed a greater ability to withstand the plagues, which means that the people who would've died didn't. I would expect that in this timeline, smallpox was about as deadly as the bubonic plague in Europe; otherwise, all of the native states would have collapsed because their work force was dead. Also, I would assume based on the presence of Vinland that the natives already went through a smallpox epidemic in the past, which would explain why they didn't all die from this epidemic; they had already recovered from the apocalypse, and now had an immune system equipped to handle Eurasian diseases.

Also I think it has been argued that the reason why americans didn't suffer the same kind of plagues that Europeans did and so were so utterly helpless against European diseases is the lack of urban tradition and paucity of domestic animals.

Even though the Americas did have a couple thousand years of the kind of urban society and domestication that gives rise to new diseases, those societies are much younger than in Eurasia and those urban societies were in isolated geographic pockets and had a tendency to be only intermittently urbanized. Each time one of these societies ended, trade routes dried up and the population plummeted, effectively curtailing the rise and spread of any American Plague. The Aztecs and the Iroquois and the Incans etc, had no silk road. They weren't connected by trade and rumours and population movement like the big empires in Eurasia were.

In this timeline that isn't the case. Ixachitlan has ancient, well connected urban cultures.

It's not hard to argue that in that timeline the americans would naturally more experience with plagues and be better placed to survive them even without Vinland.

Not that smallpox etc still wouldn't be devastating because they still would have no exposure to Eurasian diseases but they also might have their own plagues which would hurt the europeans in a timeline like this.

Cestrian fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 11, 2014

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

(this banner down here is a link)

(that banner up there is a link)

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Such a fool. Let's go exploring!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Explore!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Well, the Oeste Wasi would have warned us if there were any danger. Into the Necropolis we go!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Clearly we need to investigate!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

:stare: It begins.

Exploring time!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to R'LYEH FHTAGN we go

But seriously what sort of people would we be if this DIDN'T make us intensely curious?

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You gotta explore to find the gold that rules the world.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Selatan, I am such a fool for you

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Let that which is eternal lie.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Sampatrick posted:

You are understating the impact of the initial outbreaks of european diseases in Eastern North America, as well as in other areas. Look at, say, Hernando de Soto's description of Arkansas as being "thickly set with great towns", each possessing walls and moats, and no town so far from another that a neighbouring settlement was not visible from the one you happened to be in. His expedition brought disease, and by the time the next european visited the area just a hundred years later over 90% of the population was dead, and the area described as being only sparsely settled. I don't see that we have to assume that the natives inherently possessed a greater ability to withstand the plague, it may simply have been the case that the Aztecs and Incas possessed greater knowledge of quarantine procedures in this timeline than in the historical one. That knowledge would not necessarily transfer to the eastern american natives. We know that some of the the populations decimated by the epidemics survived in this timeline, but that was true even in our own time, and there no particular reason to suppose that the groups that survived in Eastern North America in this timeline are much materially different in the manner of their survival to the groups in our own. You assume that the Vinlanders already brought smallpox over before the epidemic described in the LP, but there is no real reason to suppose that happened (as you yourself said "we had a single outbreak of smallpox which, as far as has been told to us, was the only significant outbreak") and even if it did it would then become an example of outbreaks happening over long periods of time (not just in this case, but if we suppose there was already one outbreak we didn't hear about, we cannot then suppose there was only one additional outbreak), which you argued was a cause in our own timeline of the destruction of the native populations.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Iäh Iäh, let us explore

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Enter the Depths

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Explore it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

There's gold in them there non-Euclidean hills.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Let's see how far this rabbit hole goes.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Nope! Not going in there. You can't make me! I wanna live dammit!

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013
Exploration leads to gold!

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Hangin' with the Yithians, let's go!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Small Frozen Thing posted:

Hangin' with the Yithians, let's go!

Which issues would matter to Yithian population group in a V2 conversion, I wonder? Equal rights for shoggoths?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Which issues would matter to Yithian population group in a V2 conversion, I wonder? Equal rights for shoggoths?

I imagine education would be pretty important. They probably would be pretty big on flying polyp oppression.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to R'LYEH FHTAGN we go

But seriously what sort of people would we be if this DIDN'T make us intensely curious?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I really like seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
There might be an explorer in the Third that needs our help

• Locked thread