Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I've clearcut a good fourth of my map and no injuries yet, I must be drat lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Elth posted:

What actually constitutes a death threat? Every time I tried intimidating someone by regaling them with tales of how I murdered all their neighbors, they just shrug and go "It was inevitable.". It does make sense that anyone living in a dwarf fortress world would be a nihilist though.

Demands to yield. They usually refuse and draw steel, I find.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
You know how you can prevent tree injuries and deaths? Build a table first thing, and set it as a meeting hall. Problem solved.

dakuroot
Sep 22, 2003
^________^
So are quests bugged/gone in this release? I figured out how to get them assigned and can navigate to them. But after I murder everyone there it's still telling me to go to that site. Was I supposed to talk to the guy there before I killed him? I just kinda ran in swinging my mace busting heads like zits.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My settlement has crumbled because my little bearded retards don't know how to melt ice into water.

:(

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Crimson Harvest posted:

You know how you can prevent tree injuries and deaths? Build a table first thing, and set it as a meeting hall. Problem solved.

Also you can chop down every nearby tree the minute you start the game by bringing an extra axe or two and telling your non-miners to get out there and start chopping.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Yeah but that can be a lot more dangerous depending on your environs and how many trees there are.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Turpitude posted:

Also you can chop down every nearby tree the minute you start the game by bringing an extra axe or two and telling your non-miners to get out there and start chopping.

Wooden training axes still chop down trees too. Bring a couple of extra logs on embark (never bring metal axes for your woodcutter(s) unless you plan on using them for your military as well) and get your carpenter to pump out some training axes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Or just change the world settings to allow you to bring more stuff on embark.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

GorfZaplen posted:

The humans were all conquered many years earlier and all of the sudden a couple of kobolds settled there.

I need screenshots. You need to interview these kobolds.

tinkerttoy
Dec 30, 2013

by XyloJW
I slaughtered a palace for no particular reason, then came back with my next adventurer. Every member of the new guard was inexplicably a wrestler. Is that supposed to happen?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yo, I have a question, what would designating for channeling be the best way to build a 10x10x10 moat around my fortress? I'm going to put spikes on the innards of it.

e: oh that idiot has already managed to knock himself out.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

TildeATH posted:

I need screenshots. You need to interview these kobolds.

I had a world where there were supposedly kobolds operating out of an abandoned forest retreat. Never saw them, though I did find kobold tracks there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Well, that's a first. A dwarven settlement stretching halfway into an evil swamp region.

This is gonna be good.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

tinkerttoy posted:

I slaughtered a palace for no particular reason, then came back with my next adventurer. Every member of the new guard was inexplicably a wrestler. Is that supposed to happen?

Wrestling is the default skill of useless new recruits. It basically means that the guards are conscripts from the civilian populace and don't have a clue about fighting.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Archonex posted:

Only in Masterwork.

This has singlehandedly convinced me to try Masterwork

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Generation Internet posted:

This has singlehandedly convinced me to try Masterwork

Get ready to experience that same frustration rush that you had when starting out in DF again.

StrangeAeon posted:

Never touched Masterwork, but now I kinda want to... any tutorials or tips you'd recommend?

Someone once said that it's basically Dwarf Fortress, just more of it. They aren't kidding. Imagine if instead of spending two years making a good conversation system Toady spent all his time making quality of life improvements and adding content every week. There's even multiple fully featured playable races that play differently between each race. If you enable multiple races as playable too you can even lose a fort, come back, and inhabit it with another race.

Oh, and don't forget that Masterwork is heavily integrated with DFHack. Right down to keyboard commands in fact. For instance, you can hit ALT+E at embark to enable sites that normally aren't available.

All the stuff in it makes it hard to give a general tutorial though. If you want me to try and write up a quick guide to the races I can. Though it may be more entertaining to play it yourself and find out what each one is like.

As for tips:

Don't play with diseases on. They're funny, but make it a bitch to manage larger single group fortress communities. Plus eventually you'll get some poor bastard immigrating who has the black death, and half your fort will be dead before you can do anything about it. Really, just the mere presence of diseases in a world requires a huge change in fortress building tactics that you probably won't understand right off. Seeing two schizophrenic dwarves have minor psychotic breaks and lodge their pickaxes into each other skulls a month after embarking is funny in that "Goddamnit! :argh:" sort of way though.

Be sure to check the various options in the launcher (Yes, it's so big in features it has a huge launcher like how a MMO usually does. The launcher lets you customize what you want in the game.) before playing. You can turn on more tree variety and plant variety for even more neat stuff, along with Fear the Night. Which is the only other mod that isn't toggled on by default. Fear the Night adds even more randomized curses and monsters for fun.

Be sure to read the race manuals. Dwarves have a big one that encompasses the entire mod. Each race manual also has stuff specific to each race too. It'd be awkward to play the Dungeon Keeper-esque Warlock race, make a pain elemental, then realize that oops, it blows up like a bomb when it attacks people and sets things on fire when it does. Especially if it was in your alcohol stockpile.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 11, 2014

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Archonex posted:

It'd be awkward to play the Dungeon Keeper-esque Warlock race, make a pain elemental, then realize that oops, it blows up like a bomb when it attacks people and sets things on fire when it does. Especially if it was in your alcohol stockpile.

And this has gotten me to play Masterwork too. This just sounds absolutely amazing.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
I was trying to get my miltia trained up by slaughtering Ostriches and it backfired horribly. All four of the militia that I sent out got killed due to being put in chokeholds by an Ostrich's wing and then pecked until their heads exploded.

I can't wait until this fortress has carvings of nthing but Ostriches striking down dwarves.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

And this has gotten me to play Masterwork too. This just sounds absolutely amazing.

I'm really not even scraping the iceberg on features in the mod.

I mean, to put it in perspective i've just talked about top level stuff like creatures so far. The thing's so feature dense that it has an international diplomacy system that varies in uses and features by race. And every default race is playable in the game, except for elves. That's not counting the new races either. Each race can do something to interact with the other races through a new building type unique to each race.

For instance, warlocks can lure marauding bands of adventurers (and later armies) to their doom to obtain fresh "crafting materials" and food for their populace. Whereas dwarves can invite caravans, hire caravan guards on to their fort, and insult other races to try and enrage them into launching a full blown siege.

Hell, there's a tech tree for just about everything too. Warlocks go from just having three races as part of the playable faction, to being able to build bone golems, blood elementals, pain elementals, and all sorts of other crazy stuff. Then it goes even further at the end game of development when you realize that with the right preparation work you can recruit the circus from the maximum fun zone to guard your dungeon or tower.

Really, there's too many features to rattle off here. You could go on for pages (and the manuals do :stonk:) about them. It's better to just try it out and read the manuals.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 11, 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's the difference between "No Quarter" and "Lethal"?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I think yielding is no longer possible in No Quarter, where Lethal is lethal force is being used, but you can still yield.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The only real problem with Masterwork, which is admittedly a pretty massive problem, is that while it has all these neat features it also has to be implemented jankily. Most of it is through buildings' jobs, which runs a script and does whatever the action is. Which means there are twenty more buildings, each bigger then the next with arbitrary requirements. And even then, the script usually shoehorns things in - diplomacy as mentioned previously is just a building that lets you (sometimes) go to war with a particular race by way of generating a siege on you. (Sometimes.)

Other features simply bloat things out in traditional mod fashion, like anything to do with weapons. There are now some twenty billion weapons, each with a rather different method of making them and each that vary slightly.

On the flipside, though, the features that aren't jobs or military screen related are pretty nice. It implements a bundle of workshops that do a nifty thing, like a gem workshop and forge that lets you make gem chairs or gem swords, for example, as well as stone, bone, metal, wood, etc alternative workshops. This does gently caress with the balance quite a bit, though, because you no longer need stuff like wood for beds and metal for swords. Most of my fortresses roll with ruby swords.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Met posted:

What's the difference between "No Quarter" and "Lethal"?
Lethal keeps going until your opponent is either dead or incapacitated/yielded. No quarter kills everything.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

amuayse posted:

Lethal keeps going until your opponent is either dead or incapacitated/yielded. No quarter kills everything.

Scratch incapacitated. Lethal means cheerfully stabbing an unconscious dude in the brain.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
What the hell is a "dark pit"? I found one but there doesn't seem to be anything unusual there, aside from a bunch of weird sand canyons.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

packetmantis posted:

What the hell is a "dark pit"? I found one but there doesn't seem to be anything unusual there, aside from a bunch of weird sand canyons.

The goblin version of a hillock. It's a bunch of trenches connecting towers, the towers have some corridors and rooms beneath them.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

The only real problem with Masterwork, which is admittedly a pretty massive problem, is that while it has all these neat features it also has to be implemented jankily. Most of it is through buildings' jobs, which runs a script and does whatever the action is. Which means there are twenty more buildings, each bigger then the next with arbitrary requirements. And even then, the script usually shoehorns things in - diplomacy as mentioned previously is just a building that lets you (sometimes) go to war with a particular race by way of generating a siege on you. (Sometimes.)

It's not really a script so much as it is a tweak someone discovered through DFHack. Turns out gasses can cause reactions. So if you want a reaction that upgrades a skeleton it just gasses the skeleton on the workshop. It does mean that you have to start using workshop profiles though. Though if you weren't doing that in vanilla to make decent gear you were kind of stupid given the potential loss of masterwork armor.

quote:

Other features simply bloat things out in traditional mod fashion, like anything to do with weapons. There are now some twenty billion weapons, each with a rather different method of making them and each that vary slightly.

On the flipside, though, the features that aren't jobs or military screen related are pretty nice. It implements a bundle of workshops that do a nifty thing, like a gem workshop and forge that lets you make gem chairs or gem swords, for example, as well as stone, bone, metal, wood, etc alternative workshops. This does gently caress with the balance quite a bit, though, because you no longer need stuff like wood for beds and metal for swords. Most of my fortresses roll with ruby swords.

This is only for dwarves though. Dwarves, being the "forge" race have like 5 different forge types. One of which is the default method, a few that are a bunch of upgrade methods to existing gear, and then a tricked out custom forge that lets you make anything in the game if you have a decent research division.

That being said, it sounds like you were playing with harder smithing on. Which can be turned off to simplify the requirements to make stuff. Otherwise all the crafting requirements are the same as in vanilla. With harder smithing on the game gets grognardy in the way only DF can when it comes to making metal objects.

Gnomes are the closest you can get to "insane item bloat". They really are nuts when it comes to the crazy poo poo you can do. And that's because they're the "ridiculous grognard only race" that they added in.

Everything they make has a second use. Everything. Want to create a piece of armor with a turret strapped to it? Sure. You can then build a robotic dragon out of sci-fi era parts and attach the turret once you customize it to spew dragonfire. It'll be stupidly overpowered, but you need some advanced knowledge of DF to do stuff like that efficiently. Plus the sheer number of gadgets is geared towards the sort of person who wants to make a magma powered calculator in game.

Hell, I gave a gnome rocket boots to aid in delivering butcherable corpses, and created a catapult that flung carcasses half a mile into an automatic butcher shop that was powered by a complex series of underground rivers I dredged out. The meat was then washed downriver to the fort. It also doubled as an efficient trap to murder invaders, giving me meat and parsing out their gear for collection at a safe underground point. It was stupidly complex and i'm pretty sure just doing that would have broken newbies if they started out as that race. And for the gnome race that's considered newbie level stuff.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 11, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If I liked playing adventure mode in DF:2012 how much more will I like it in DF:2014?

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Man I love df but I just can't play this game without dwarf therapist. As soon as I hit about 30 dwarfs, it's over for me.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
It's p fun, you can yell poo poo at random dudes/nothing and races have their own sites now. The quest menu is hella confusing so good luck getting to where you need to go

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Started up Masterwork, after exploring the launcher but refusing to read any manuals. Aside from some difficulty starting up, things are running smoothly, though I am buried in different types of plants. I was just getting the idea to make an open-air pit for optimal outdoor-plant farming, when suddenly my game paused and centered on a dwarf. Turns out one of my migrants was a werewolf.

Not a very good werewolf, mind. He dropped all his clothes on the stairs, then proceeded to get killed by my carpenter.

Edit: Actually, I take that back. Not only am I not sure the 'were WASN'T one of my original 7, but there was a rather climactic fight on the stairwell. He bit off my carpenter's left arm, while the carpenter continually bashed the werewolf with his mining pick. Eventually he impaled the werewolf through the heart, and twisted the pick until the monster died.

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 11, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Robot Randy posted:

It's p fun, you can yell poo poo at random dudes/nothing and races have their own sites now. The quest menu is hella confusing so good luck getting to where you need to go

If you write down important names (yes, yes, I know) you can use the word filter to easily find them later.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

cheesetriangles posted:

If I liked playing adventure mode in DF:2012 how much more will I like it in DF:2014?

At the moment you'll hate the glitches, the crashes, long loading times and nobody aggroing onto you unless you yell at them. Wait for a while, then get stuck in.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

That sounds kinda disappointing.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Was watching a livestream when the player's companion suddenly said this:

Pretty goddamn hardcore, also surprised there's extra dialog if the person you are talking to is related to whoever they want you to kill. I really, really love this new dialog system.

Also the same companion said right before this her niece was murdered by some night creature, so this person has not had the greatest of lives.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
Ilral Scaledbolts took a pick and gave his neighbors nine good licks.

Don't forget old Ilral's name, he punched poor Urdim in the brain.

Dastot put him in the ground,

And a goblin shot poor Dastot down.

Never Forget

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hmm yes let me commemorate the murderous rampage of a pick-wielding maniac in the most expensive material known to dwarfkind.

Dwarf Fortress. It is terrifying.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

That sounds kinda disappointing.

It's a first release, DF initial releases are always really buggy, toady releases a big thing then spends a while fixing it with public bug reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3Zseui1Cuo