Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Based on an urban legend where someone supposedly won a tournament by doing so with a Chaos Orb.
The apocryphal counter to this strategy was to call the judge and ask for a deck count. As their deck would only include 59 cards at that point, they'd be disqualified.

It's probably an urban legend, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Was thinking about picking up a copy of Tzolk'In, which looks pretty good in terms of play time, complexity, number of players, etc. I haven't played it, though; anyone here have a perspective on whether it's worth a shot?

There's really only one strategy that causes wins, but I REALLY like the mechanics of the game. A rebalanced version would be beautiful.

Edit: I apparently need to revise my statement to, "I really wish I could play this more then, because I think the mechanics are amazing."

OmegaGoo fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 11, 2014

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

OmegaGoo posted:

There's really only one strategy that causes wins, but I REALLY like the mechanics of the game. A rebalanced version would be beautiful.

I disagree, it is a really elegantly crafted game that my friends have enjoyed (online) playing for a while now. I highly recommend it.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

There is definitely more than one strategy in Tzol'kin. There's Corn, Monuments/Buildings (depending), Crystal Skulls, Balanced and Resources that can all get over 100 points.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 11, 2014

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
There are many strategies that *can* win Tzolkin, but most of the time the most solid strategy is to temple race. The expansion helps alleviate this issue and really makes the game shine.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No, all of those strategies are *how* you win the temple race while getting other points. The temple race is essentially the game, but how you get up it and don't fall behind and feed and block other people and such is how you win.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I am going on vacation with my wife and two kids (14 and 12) and my wife is considering Battlestar Galactica. We've played it before with 5 people and thought it was great but how good is it with 4?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I just played Twilight Struggle for the first time :aaaaa:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

he1ixx posted:

I am going on vacation with my wife and two kids (14 and 12) and my wife is considering Battlestar Galactica. We've played it before with 5 people and thought it was great but how good is it with 4?

It's not great, sadly. Much less finger pointing with only one cylon, and much less interesting. Plus, there's *so many* four player games to choose from!

Mr. Glass posted:

I'm really looking forward to the digital version so my once-in-six-months TS games (who am I kidding, once a year) can be a bit more frequent.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

silvergoose posted:

It's not great, sadly. Much less finger pointing with only one cylon, and much less interesting. Plus, there's *so many* four player games to choose from!

I know I have a bunch of great games to take but she loves the whole BSG cylon/traitor interaction and doing it with 5 players made for some really fun situations. I'll mention issue to her though. Good feedback. :)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

he1ixx posted:

I know I have a bunch of great games to take but she loves the whole BSG cylon/traitor interaction and doing it with 5 players made for some really fun situations. I'll mention issue to her though. Good feedback. :)

Yeah, I mean, it'll still be *fun* if you enjoy BSG for the setting and traitor mechanism. But it just doesn't work anywhere near as well. Hard pressed to find a better traitor game for 4, though.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

silvergoose posted:

Yeah, I mean, it'll still be *fun* if you enjoy BSG for the setting and traitor mechanism. But it just doesn't work anywhere near as well. Hard pressed to find a better traitor game for 4, though.

Are there any add-ons that would be good for a 4 player game?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

he1ixx posted:

Are there any add-ons that would be good for a 4 player game?

I've heard good things about Daybreak's Cylon Leader mechanics, but haven't tried them myself.

The most important thing for a four-player game is: don't use the Cylon Sympathizer. Use the official no-sympathizer variant instead (start with -1 Morale, -1 Food, -2 Population; revealed Cylons draw 3 skill cards on their turn instead of 2).

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Was thinking about picking up a copy of Tzolk'In, which looks pretty good in terms of play time, complexity, number of players, etc. I haven't played it, though; anyone here have a perspective on whether it's worth a shot?

It's best at 4 players, worse the fewer you have. 2 players was miserable; there are so many dummy workers on the board that just sit there passively, blocking random actions so you don't actually feel like you're playing the gears as intended.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I've heard good things about Daybreak's Cylon Leader mechanics, but haven't tried them myself.

The most important thing for a four-player game is: don't use the Cylon Sympathizer. Use the official no-sympathizer variant instead (start with -1 Morale, -1 Food, -2 Population; revealed Cylons draw 3 skill cards on their turn instead of 2).

Noted. I'll take a look at Daybreak too. Thanks!

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Many thanks, everyone, for the feedback on Tzolk'In! I think we will wind up picking up a copy, but I have a better sense of the caveats, and that, in turn, will probably affect my timing (there are a few other games on my list that I'll probably buy first).

Mr. Glass posted:

I love Twilight Struggle.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 11, 2014

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

he1ixx posted:

As others have suggested, Daybreak definitely helps in 4-player. I played a 4P game recently with a Cylon Leader and it was probably one of the most fun games I've had of it. We played with Corbeau's CAG/DEFCON/Fleet Board houserules from the BSG thread. Makes being a pilot really interesting.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Mr. Glass posted:

I had this in my hand yesterday, but I'm just not sure if the subject matter will be enough to hold my lady's interest. Instead I picked up Ugg-Tect since we normally game with 4-8 people and the idea of beating each other up with caveman clubs is highly appealing to me.

Big McHuge fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 11, 2014

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Big McHuge posted:

I had this in my hand yesterday, but I'm just not sure if the subject matter will be enough to hold my lady's interest. Instead I picked up Ugg-Tect since we normally game with 4-8 people and the idea of beating each other up with caveman clubs is highly appealing to me.

Speaking as someone who thought the subject matter wouldn't hold my interest, either, the mechanics are pretty engrossing on their own, the board is gorgeous, and even if you think cold war political encirclement/containment is boring, there's so many cards related to war, or interesting cultural events, that it really grows on you.

The weirdest thing about TS is that the box looks like unbelievable grognard's grognard abstract crap, but inside the box, the game is pretty and interesting.

Those guys could convert it to a Silmarillion theme, where it's mordor vs the forces of light trying to vie for the hearts and minds of the races of middle earth, and make an insane amount of money.

Just put a ring wraith on the front walking toward gondor. Instead of a mens restroom symbol standing on an abstract forced perspective path to nowhere.

Oh man. I can picture the cards in my mind! loving... 'The rings are forged'. Place up to 5 points of influence within the domain of the race of men. I guess the China card becomes the Isengard card? Or huh. Weren't there like some race of super men who devolved into normal men? Maybe they could be the Asia zone, their kingdom could be china, and then southeast asia would be the race of men as a subset? Oh man, Smaug taking the lonely mountain could be like the Romanian Abdication!

gently caress. I think I need to start photoshopping this into existence.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Does Descent 2nd Edition's campaign require the same players/heroes every time?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Could have FFG buy it from GMT(pigs fly) and make it Arkham Struggle or Twilight Horror.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Speaking as someone who thought the subject matter wouldn't hold my interest, either, the mechanics are pretty engrossing on their own, the board is gorgeous, and even if you think cold war political encirclement/containment is boring, there's so many cards related to war, or interesting cultural events, that it really grows on you.

The weirdest thing about TS is that the box looks like unbelievable grognard's grognard abstract crap, but inside the box, the game is pretty and interesting.

Those guys could convert it to a Silmarillion theme, where it's mordor vs the forces of light trying to vie for the hearts and minds of the races of middle earth, and make an insane amount of money.

Just put a ring wraith on the front walking toward gondor. Instead of a mens restroom symbol standing on an abstract forced perspective path to nowhere.

Oh man. I can picture the cards in my mind! loving... 'The rings are forged'. Place up to 5 points of influence within the domain of the race of men. I guess the China card becomes the Isengard card? Or huh. Weren't there like some race of super men who devolved into normal men? Maybe they could be the Asia zone, their kingdom could be china, and then southeast asia would be the race of men as a subset? Oh man, Smaug taking the lonely mountain could be like the Romanian Abdication!

Holy hells full reskins of TS would be so amazing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I would murder somebody for a Star Wars Galactic Civil War reskin of Twilight Struggle.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I would murder somebody for a Star Wars Galactic Civil War reskin of Twilight Struggle.

The Senate is Disbanded

Remove all Rebel influence on Coruscant and replace it with the same amount of Imperial influence.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

silvergoose posted:

The Senate is Disbanded

Remove all Rebel influence on Coruscant and replace it with the same amount of Imperial influence.

Oh man, that could get really crazy, too. Because you start with the Separatists vs the Republic, then at some point you transform the republic into the empire, and the separatists die out and are replaced by the rebels.

The version of Risk that was star wars theme kind of followed that mode, where you would play for a while and the separatists would have a huge advantage. But they had to carry the day before the turn tracker reached a certain point--because when it did, half the board would turn into the empire and go south in a hurry. The way it codified this urgency and then a sea change of relative strengths between the sides really reminded me of what makes Eastern Front games interesting. But more accessible.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Oh man, that could get really crazy, too. Because you start with the Separatists vs the Republic, then at some point you transform the republic into the empire, and the separatists die out and are replaced by the rebels.

The version of Risk that was star wars theme kind of followed that mode, where you would play for a while and the separatists would have a huge advantage. But they had to carry the day before the turn tracker reached a certain point--because when it did, half the board would turn into the empire and go south in a hurry. The way it codified this urgency and then a sea change of relative strengths between the sides really reminded me of what makes Eastern Front games interesting. But more accessible.

Well at that point you're not doing a reskin, you're doing a rework while actually having to rebalance stuff. Sounds harder than just coming up with a hundred (w/e) events and reskinning the board.

Cool, though.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

cbirdsong posted:

Does Descent 2nd Edition's campaign require the same players/heroes every time?

Maybe? Descent 2e is pretty flexible. The primary way to play is supposed to be connected scenarios in a campaign where you play the same heroes. Most campaigns aren't going to be longer than 10 or so sessions though.

Alternatively, the game has rules for one-shot scenarios where players get to pick a character and buff them up rather than starting at "entry level".

Or there are a lot of scenarios on the quest vault, it might be enough to keep you satisfied with one off play for a long time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
We've played a campaign in D2e where we basically recorded the money, treasure and XP everyone earned, and completely respecced characters each time, doing fractions of things if the player count changed. Worked OK but needed a lot of working out.

We've tended to do it because no-one really wants to play Overlord. It's one reason we're looking forward to the expansion that give the overlord role to an AI...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

thespaceinvader posted:

It's one reason we're looking forward to the expansion that give the overlord role to an AI...

This is going to be awesome!

Oh wait, we have five players :(

I don't think there would be a problem with switching players in and out as long as the characters stayed static and whatever choices the last guy made stuck.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

You should contact GMT and see if they are interested, if not I wouldn't think the mechanics are patented.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
I just got on the train home after visiting the Orc's Nest in London for the first time. Oh my. I haven't been so enthralled by a shop since sweets lost their appeal. I could waste so much money there.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Speaking of retheming cold war games, I was reading the description of FFG's new Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion and couldn't make thematic sense of the mechanic where overcommitting your forces granted an immediate free victory to your opponent until I found out that it was a reimplementation of a game called Cold War: CIA vs. KGB. I can see how pushing your covert ops in Panama too far might piss the Panamanians off enough that they up and join the Reds. Sending too many X-Wings to Mos Eisley Spaceport and granting the Imperial Navy an instant victory there, though? Not so much.

The Cold War was really weird, and lots of mechanics that work well for it don't translate to other kinds of conflict.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Speaking of retheming cold war games, I was reading the description of FFG's new Star Wars: Empire vs. Rebellion and couldn't make thematic sense of the mechanic where overcommitting your forces granted an immediate free victory to your opponent until I found out that it was a reimplementation of a game called Cold War: CIA vs. KGB. I can see how pushing your covert ops in Panama too far might piss the Panamanians off enough that they up and join the Reds. Sending too many X-Wings to Mos Eisley Spaceport and granting the Imperial Navy an instant victory there, though? Not so much.

The Cold War was really weird, and lots of mechanics that work well for it don't translate to other kinds of conflict.

Yeah, a Rebellion game would have to have political and military conflict as different things- you're right that that mechanic is pretty odd but the idea of Imperial military overreach driving down political support makes a certain amount of sense. The COIN series might be a better fit but they're 4 player and there's no other major factions you can put in there.

e: Also I haven't played that many CDGs but the impression I got from reviews is that TS has design advantages that are independent of the setting- the deck management aspect is usually praised with its frequent reshuffles and manipulation of 'removed after play' cards.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I just set up the first scenario for Robinson Crusoe to play with my friends. From studying the rules, it really seems like a hybrid Agricola + Pandemic. My body is ready to get battered by this game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
To everyone who recommended Tash-Kalar here: I love you. My other games will hate you.
The premise sounds weird but plays awesome in practice, I only had time for the tutorial but can't wait to add the legendaries and other stuff.

Also, Vlaada, standard card sizes exist for a reason :argh:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Have they made any new decks for Tash Kalar yet? Seems like the kind of game that would be great for expansions

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Have they made any new decks for Tash Kalar yet? Seems like the kind of game that would be great for expansions

No, though someone posted links to the artist's facebook where he posted some images that looked suspiciously like some sort of ice deck.

https://www.facebook.com/david.cochard/photos about halfway down the page

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Doubt Twilight Struggles mechanics are patented unless someone had a patent attorney hanging around, normally it's too expensive. The problem is getting the Star Wars license out of Disney for some cost that would still leave you with a profit.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Game mechanics cannot be patented, and are open to steal if you so choose. Specific vocabulary, however, might be protected, depending on how litigious the IP holders are.

Reference: the word "tap" to describe turning a card sideways is patented, but the mechanic of turning a card sideways to show it has been used is not. Actual Source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ETB posted:

I just set up the first scenario for Robinson Crusoe to play with my friends. From studying the rules, it really seems like a hybrid Agricola + Pandemic. My body is ready to get battered by this game.

Is this an accurate description? Because my girlfriend and me have been loving pandemic for ages, and she's really into Agricola for the whole "building up your little house and farm" thing, but I'm a bit more sceptic because I can't read other players at all. If it plays well with two and has a strong building feeling, I think I might get it...

• Locked thread