Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I usually roll poorly in real life - I wasn't aware this curse would transfer over to the digital world, drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

berzerkmonkey posted:

I usually roll poorly in real life - I wasn't aware this curse would transfer over to the digital world, drat it.

That's not too bad, the odds are only one against a bit over a thousand or so. Ogres always find a way.

EDIT: Turns out that the achievement tracking for BB:CE is completely hosed. The rest of this post is preserved for entertainment purposes only.

That being said, I stumbled on the steam page for the global achievements for BB:CE. Now these pages are about the worst statistical result set you'd want to draw further conclusions on, but hey I thought it'd be pretty funny anyway.

Here's some of the achievements, and the percentage of (steam) game owners that achieved them:

Win an online match: 13,9%
So about 14 in 100 bother with the online scene long enough to get at least one ragequit. Not as bad as it sounds, considering how many steam games are bought and never played for more than a couple of minutes.

Succeed a pass: 13,8%
Suspiciously close to the previous. Correlation or causation? I smell elf bullshit anyway.

Play 3 online matches: 9,3%
Even a bunch of the lucky winners are gone before the third match.

Play 20 online matches: 5,3%
This game wears people down, bit by bit.

Play 50 online matches: 3,4%, Win 50 online matches: 2,5%
Those who stay seem to be capable of taking it. I know I have one of those two achievements.

Win 1000 online matches: 0.1%, Play 2000 online matches: 0.1%
gently caress you, Cyanide. No one could have suffered your implementation of this game for that amount of time without switching to Fumbbl. This is the 0,1% of BB:CE owners who bought the game just to cheat for the achievements.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 11, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Fumbbl looks like utter garbage and is a smug grog hangout, it really isn't that appealing to most people, sorry dude.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

jBrereton posted:

Fumbbl looks like utter garbage and is a smug grog hangout, it really isn't that appealing to most people, sorry dude.

Also perhaps people just don't like blood bowl? I like the way dreadball works better because failure doesn't end the turn. Not everyone who ditches cyanide blood bowl goes on to fumbbl.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I figure this is a good place to ask - I was playing a BB:LE (latest patch applied) against the AI yesterday to familiarize myself with the rules and ran into a potential bug: my Ogre went down and couldn't get back up due to Bonehead. I can't imagine a 1 being rolled five turns in a row... Is this an issue with the game, or was I just really, really unlucky?

VV Wow. Ok then. VV

You need to activate him every turn to try to succeed the bonehead roll but if you did that then you're just unlucky.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Just to clarify my point, I meant that anyone who's prepared to play over 1000 games of blood bowl online, is going to start looking for function over appearance. Yeah, the presentation factor goes for Cyanide, that's why I bother with it when I feel like it.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 11, 2014

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Just so you know Storytime, BBCE is really bad with triggering achievements. There are a couple goons who have passed over the "win X games" achievements and I just recently (after like 100+ cyabowl games) had the achievement trigger where you win without completing a pass, which is definitely way late.

So your numbers may be pretty skewed

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

GNU Order posted:

Just so you know Storytime, BBCE is really bad with triggering achievements. There are a couple goons who have passed over the "win X games" achievements and I just recently (after like 100+ cyabowl games) had the achievement trigger where you win without completing a pass, which is definitely way late.

Yeah, I kind of anticipated that, and that's why I put the statistical disclaimer at the top of my first post. From what I understand, Steam just offers an achievement API for game programmers to use or misuse at will, so we're looking at Cyanide provided numbers here. I still thought It'd be a fun discussion piece, regardless of the angle taken.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

GNU Order posted:

I've played several hundred games online in cyanide and this is the only achievement I've ever gotten.

The cyanide achievements are 100% broken and are completely useless for tracking anything.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I figure this is a good place to ask - I was playing a BB:LE (latest patch applied) against the AI yesterday to familiarize myself with the rules and ran into a potential bug: my Ogre went down and couldn't get back up due to Bonehead. I can't imagine a 1 being rolled five turns in a row... Is this an issue with the game, or was I just really, really unlucky?

VV Wow. Ok then. VV

I don't know if the same applies to the ogre team as to regular ogres, but if they have the Loner tag it also means 50/50 to throw your reroll away without using it, if you were counting rerolls.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

uPen posted:

I've played several hundred games online in cyanide and this is the only achievement I've ever gotten.

The cyanide achievements are 100% broken and are completely useless for tracking anything.

That is an impressive level of brokenness. I'll go an edit a note about this at the top of my first post about the whole thing.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 11, 2014

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice
Cyanide released some details about the marketplace in BB2: http://bloodbowlgame.tumblr.com/post/91451853380/transfer-season-is-coming-join-the-marketplace

TLDR is that in a league's "transfer window" you can auction off players for in-game gold or send offers for players that aren't for sale. All with in-game gold only, no real money or microtransactions. OK I guess?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also only between teams of the same type. So not completely retarded.

Still don't think I understand why you'd ever sell a good player though.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Would be good for farming.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
It's been so long since I played in a league, but isn't there team value cap? If you've got two high-value throwers, you can let one go to allow your other players to advance. I could be completely wrong and thinking about alternate league rules though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's spiralling expenses, but nothing that directly caps total team value.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP
Yeah, there is no hard cap. Spiraling expenses make a pretty good soft cap about the time you hit 2200 or so.

Personally I have a 3100TV goblin team.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

goatface posted:

Still don't think I understand why you'd ever sell a good player though.

If you are min/maxing you can always boot some star player who doesnt have enough doubles or stats.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But why would you want another player in the league to have them? They're getting a "non-optimal" player, sure, but it's still not one they're having to train up from scratch.

It might make sense in a huge open league where you don't care because there's hundreds of people, but when would the "off season" even be in that case? It can't be always, that's abusable as gently caress.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I would assume it's for those situations where you've lost a bunch of the same type of unit, but have an abundance of another. Makes sense to trade around to fill a gap, and if others are in the same boat (but with a different gap) you can both end up being better off while still only advantaging one opponent out of the league.

Seems like an unusual enough situation not to bother with for me, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Star player with a niggle. Instead of just retiring him, sell him off for a few gold. Some up-and-coming team with a bit of cash might prefer a damaged star player, to having no skilled players at all.

Or, much more likely, you and your group of buddies get together, make a bunch of skaven teams, and then sell all the gutter runners who get +AG to one guy who makes his supermurder team, and then you all delete your skaven teams and make new ones and now it's Bob's turn to build a team full of nothing but clawpombing beastmen. Etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

Star player with a niggle. Instead of just retiring him, sell him off for a few gold. Some up-and-coming team with a bit of cash might prefer a damaged star player, to having no skilled players at all.

The other scenario I can think of is if you lose a few key positionals on your roster and need to do some rebuilding. You need a pile of cash to replace those expensive players, and you've got some support players on the team that are just inflated deadweight now that they don't have anyone to support...

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I also genuinely think it's going to be a whole different league set-up that even allows it.

The equivalents of Nagg and Auld are going to remain the most popular, and I doubt they'll take Blood Bowl As GW Intended (Kinda) out of the rotation of modes.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

jBrereton posted:

I also genuinely think it's going to be a whole different league set-up that even allows it.

The equivalents of Nagg and Auld are going to remain the most popular, and I doubt they'll take Blood Bowl As GW Intended (Kinda) out of the rotation of modes.

What will be interesting is if this is in conjunction with a new version of BB from GW. With BB's large fanbase, this would be the game that I see coming out as a limited release, like they did with Space Hulk. It probably won't happen, as I can't see GW putting out 8 teams for a limited release game, but who knows. I can't imagine that Cyanide would be modifying the core league rules without GW's express permission though.

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012
Is there a way to use an action to "do nothing" to end Hypnotic Gaze on a player? Say, if I want my tackle zones back, but don't want to do anything else. By the rules, it seems like I should be able to "move zero" to accomplish this, but I can't figure out how to do that in Cyanide's interface. Can't seem to find anything useful on Google.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure you double right click them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If I remember right, it's also works on really stupid/bonehead rolls

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

berzerkmonkey posted:

What will be interesting is if this is in conjunction with a new version of BB from GW. With BB's large fanbase, this would be the game that I see coming out as a limited release, like they did with Space Hulk. It probably won't happen, as I can't see GW putting out 8 teams for a limited release game, but who knows. I can't imagine that Cyanide would be modifying the core league rules without GW's express permission though.

GW can't even be bothered to host the PDF with the latest rulebook, we're not getting a new version of BB.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I know DungeonBowl is bad, and I shouldn't give them money for it, but I've always been vaguely curious to try it. By the time I decided I wanted to try it, I'd heard the playerbase was already all gone. Does the new edition of dungeonbowl have a playerbase at all?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

LibbyM posted:

I know DungeonBowl is bad, and I shouldn't give them money for it, but I've always been vaguely curious to try it. By the time I decided I wanted to try it, I'd heard the playerbase was already all gone. Does the new edition of dungeonbowl have a playerbase at all?

When I started it up a couple weeks ago for the first time there were 2 other people online total.

I just started it up right now and there's 2 other people (cannot confirm if they were the same two people this time as well)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I picked this game up on a whim based on good memories of playing the tabletop version a couple of time years ago. I've been acquainting myself with the teams and rules, and have found myself really liking Chaos Dwarves. A few questions:

1) The general idea I've gotten is to use your Bull Centaurs as Blitzers/Runners, use your Dwarves for kicking your opponents rear end, and to use your Hobgoblins for ball retrieval, caging your Centaurs, and fouling your opponent's keystone players. Is this more or less on the right track?

2) A Minotaurs worth using/developing? I've given one a try a few times, and it struck me as horribly unreliable and not worth the cost. Do they get substantially better with experience?

3) Should I bother trying to protect and develop my Hobgoblins, or should I just accept that they're going to get maimed and killed?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

fool_of_sound posted:

I picked this game up on a whim based on good memories of playing the tabletop version a couple of time years ago. I've been acquainting myself with the teams and rules, and have found myself really liking Chaos Dwarves. A few questions:

1) The general idea I've gotten is to use your Bull Centaurs as Blitzers/Runners, use your Dwarves for kicking your opponents rear end, and to use your Hobgoblins for ball retrieval, caging your Centaurs, and fouling your opponent's keystone players. Is this more or less on the right track?

2) A Minotaurs worth using/developing? I've given one a try a few times, and it struck me as horribly unreliable and not worth the cost. Do they get substantially better with experience?

3) Should I bother trying to protect and develop my Hobgoblins, or should I just accept that they're going to get maimed and killed?

Short answer: Yes, Yes, and maybe.

Longer answers:
Your centaurs are your only real mobility. Their agility means it's hard to get them the ball, but once you do, they're hard to take down and with their special skills they can cover a lot of ground. You have no passing game to speak of, but the centaurs provide you a sprinting option beyond the standard dwarf cage-up-and-grind-slowly-down-the-pitch that makes normal dwarves so breathtakingly boring to play against.

Your dwarves' job is indeed kicking your opponent's asses. You'll use them to mark opposing players and both punch and take punches (which they do, like champs).

Hobgoblins are your non-scoring ball handlers. You use them on offense to retreive the ball in your backfield and then hand off to a centaur. On defense you can use them to give assists, pick up the ball after your tougher guys punch it free, and mark players when your dwarves are too slow to manage it. You can score with a hobgob, but you'd rather score with a centaur or dwarf because those are the durable players that will be around longer, so they're better investments of Team Value. Obviously if your hobgob is in scoring position and it's the best shot to win a game you want to win, of course score with him. A skill or two on a hobgoblin is not a terrible thing.

Minotaurs are worth developing. It's true that they're unreliable. When you can, use a blitz action with your mino because that reduces his chances of throwing a temper tantrum: especially if he's already lying down, use a blitz to get him up and going so he doesn't waste turns lying down. The big advantage of the Wild Animal skill over the other big guy drawbacks like Bonehead and Really Stupid is that, even when he's having a fit, he still keeps his tackle zones. So you can park him in the center of your line and he will serve as a nasty tough obstacle for your opponents to try to get around. The best time to blitz with an unreliable player is as the last move on your turn (so if he fucks up you don't have to waste a reroll on a Loner just to get to the other important parts of your turn), but sometimes you want him to go earlier (like to clear a space or mark some dudes or whatever) so just assume that two or three times a game, he's going to get angry and not do what he's told. Try to plan around that happening.

Developing him usually involves giving him skills that make him even more murdery.

Protecting and developing hobgoblins is... well, they're cheap, and that makes them easily replaced. But they're also the players on your team that can both handle the ball reasonably well (with AG3) and move a reasonable distance. When they skill up, you can give them useful utility skills like Kick and Sure Hands that helps with those non-combat roles. But you should not overprotect them: they have poor armor compared to the rest of the team, so they're going to die more often, and since they're cheap to replace that's just OK. You'd rather have a hobgob die than any other positional on the team, so use them accordingly.

Buut, OK, if you get a +AG hobgoblin and he's got Sure Hands and maybe Dodge or something too? Sure, protect him because he's significantly enhancing your scoring capability and he's not easily replaceable (because of the stat increase).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 15, 2014

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

fool_of_sound posted:

Not really. Chaos Dwarf Minos don't even have normal access to Mutations, so their skill-set is extremely limited. I like starting with one because Minos are my favorite big guys (Wild Animal = Strength 5 tacklezones that never disappear!) but other than occasionally Mighty-Blowing some Linemen off the table (try to only do 3db punches unless you can afford a turnover) don't count on them for much.
Their value to the Chaos Dwarf team drops dramatically once they start levelling because they don't really offer anything you don't already have (Strength skills on 6 Dwarfs and 2 Bull Centaurs) except the ability to sometimes eat re-rolls (which you need because your Centaurs want to eat them through failed ball handling).
If you buy one early you'll probably have to start with just 1 Bull Centaur but that's not a big deal- your Dwarfs are going to carry your team vs fresh opponent teams and you'll probably only be able to feed 1 Bull Centaur a TD per game anyways.

quote:

Maimed and killed. Like you said, they're really only useful as ball grabbers, speed bumps, and foulers.

Since it's the same 50/50 roll regardless of whether the Bull Centaur is picking up the ball or receiving a handoff, you might want to have a hobgoblin field kickoffs instead of starting a Bull Centaur deep. This allows both of your Bull Centaurs to start up closer to the LoS on the kick, projecting threat over more more of the field, and the freedom to run around and punch people during the drive. With 2 Bull Centaurs freed up to break away (granted it all falls apart on a 4+ roll) you effectively double your scoring threat once you're within 9 squares of the end zone.

So Sure Hands on a Hobgoblin isn't a bad idea. As a self-proclaimed fun-haver I'd probably develop a Hobgoblin if it got some interesting stat-ups and double rolls, but avoid feeding them touchdowns in all other cases.
I have an Agi4 Wrestle/Leap Hobgoblin on one of my Chorf teams. He gets targeted and destroyed early, meanwhile my APO rolls go to him while my Dwarfs get injured or die. Fun, but not a benefit to the team.

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
I guess I ran into a bug just now. I'm a chaos player and it's currently turn 6 against chaos dwarf. Earlier in the match I KOed and killed his two best killers. After chasing down his ball carrier and blitzing 2 pows against it, he hit the menu button just as my follow-up dialog box was opening. Now I can't do anything, none of the buttons available to me work and I'm just stuck here. I don't know if he's still there or if I'm going to have to alt+f4 and forfeit the match or what.

Has anyone run into this bug before, and if so, is there any way to fix it? That seems really cheap that he can just end the game in the middle because he got mad and I have to take the loss for it.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

enahs posted:

I guess I ran into a bug just now. I'm a chaos player and it's currently turn 6 against chaos dwarf. Earlier in the match I KOed and killed his two best killers. After chasing down his ball carrier and blitzing 2 pows against it, he hit the menu button just as my follow-up dialog box was opening. Now I can't do anything, none of the buttons available to me work and I'm just stuck here. I don't know if he's still there or if I'm going to have to alt+f4 and forfeit the match or what.

Has anyone run into this bug before, and if so, is there any way to fix it? That seems really cheap that he can just end the game in the middle because he got mad and I have to take the loss for it.

He's trying to get you to quit.

Yes, he can do that indefinitely.

Concede now or turn on a movie and wait him out. Keep in mind he can unpause it whenever he wants and continue the game, so keep the volume up.

Enjoy!

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
That's loving retarded.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Can't you just hit f10 to get rid of that?

But yeah, it's terrible and dumb.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Brainamp posted:

Can't you just hit f10 to get rid of that?

But yeah, it's terrible and dumb.

Normally a timer runs down when someone pauses the game.. but not if they pause it while you are choosing a push direction! It is the worst.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I Know, I just thought I remembered reading that hitting f10 could escape the menu and let you click on poo poo again. Could be wrong, and I haven't seen it recently to test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enahs
Jan 1, 2010

Grow up.
Good to know for next time if it ever happens again. I got tired of it and exited. Turned out he had exited sometime before me so I still got the win.

• Locked thread