Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Zombies are dumb. I'm glad the genre is starting to dwindle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
You might say they are... brain dead :haw:

But yea, kinda agree with ya. If there's a good REASON for zombies (which rarely happens) it makes for a fun movie, but the actual "good" zombie flicks are few and far between.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm still holding out the hope that someone does a mini-series treatment of the interviews in WWZ, minus the Glorious Nippon chapters.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Dr_Amazing posted:

The interviewer sees a frozen zombie for himself so it's not an unreliable thing.

I really wish the weirder stuff got into the movie, like every boat in the world floating in ocean communities, or the guy watching from the international space station.

Sure, it's not unreliable that the zombies are frozen. What's unknown is why they freeze, or why they thaw, or how they keep moving afterwards. The book doesn't try to definitively answer those questions, which is good, since any reason he came up with would be stupid.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
Are we seriously still talking about the validity of loving zombies?!

Content:

The lovely Statham film "Blitz" is about a cop killer in South London. Through out the whole film he uses a 9mm semi auto pistol to commit said killing.

At the climax, Statham disarms the killer with liberal crowbar use, his colleague picks up the gun, ejects and reinserts the magazine, hands it back to Statham giving him the OK to execute the cop killer.

Cue wide angle footage of the fatal shot and whats that? Statham is now holding a six shot revolver?!

Like seriously? How the gently caress did they mess that up?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Silly Newbie posted:

Sure, it's not unreliable that the zombies are frozen. What's unknown is why they freeze, or why they thaw, or how they keep moving afterwards. The book doesn't try to definitively answer those questions, which is good, since any reason he came up with would be stupid.

Obviously the zombie virus makes a natural antifreeze like some small animals and microorganisms do. :eng101:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
A read a book where a particle collider accidentally opens a rift to some void where Sumerian speaking demons lived and they came through to possess the dead... including animals and eventually insects. It had "priest who lost faith", "man desperately trying to get back to family", "disgraced scientist who started it all", " junkie prostitute with heart of gold", and "corrupt military rape gangs".

I liked how the WWZ books did it better. Sometimes explaining everything makes it worse.
Showing how it is without a definitive why makes a good story.

Fake edit: the zombie lion was pretty cool.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
The only thing that I really dislike about the World War Z/Survival Guide is that the author categorically states that all zombies are essentially identical. No zombie will ever act differently from the rest. If you make a barrier that the zombies can't climb, then you won't get one in a hundred managing to get over it and cause trouble. No zombie will ever partially recognise a former loved one, or randomly pick up an object. They will always walk at the same speed and fall for the same tricks. They will never do anything unexpected. It just makes them samey and boring.

Not that I want them to make human ladders or anything.

dpack_1 posted:

The lovely Statham film "Blitz" is about a cop killer in South London. Through out the whole film he uses a 9mm semi auto pistol to commit said killing.

At the climax, Statham disarms the killer with liberal crowbar use, his colleague picks up the gun, ejects and reinserts the magazine, hands it back to Statham giving him the OK to execute the cop killer.

Cue wide angle footage of the fatal shot and whats that? Statham is now holding a six shot revolver?!

Like seriously? How the gently caress did they mess that up?

Just put this movie on 15 minutes ago before opening this thread, spooky! Luckily I've already seen it and know the ending already, but I'll keep my eye out for gunny.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
A little late, but the worst video game stuff shown in a movie (I know police procedural tv shows have it real loving bad) is in The Glass House. Kid is mashing away on a playstation controller for some off-road dune buggy racer, and it's obviously on "demo" mode and playing itself. The stepdad comes in and is all, "Okay, bed time," and he's like, "I'm almost to a save point"... What, are you going to get to a save point on the 4th lap? This is kind of before big bombastic "story" modes in racers.

On the other hand, if poo poo heel stepdad doesn't know anything about games, maybe "i'm almost to a save point" is a great way to say, "you're not my real dad, fucker".

shock.wav
May 25, 2009
I really enjoyed Snowpiercer but there was something that bugged me more and more as the movie went on.

It's a train, there is a single thoroughfare through the carriages, so with each carriage they went through I kept thinking how the schoolkids (who are towards the back of the train) would have to walk through the nightclub, the sauna, the restaurant, the loving marine lab, just to get to school every morning, As would everyone else, it would just be a constant flow of hundreds of people making their way back and forth along a narrow walkway all day long, interrupting everyone else and causing endless chaos.

No, I didn't miss the point of the movie, this just bugged me.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Firstborn posted:

A little late, but the worst video game stuff shown in a movie (I know police procedural tv shows have it real loving bad) is in The Glass House. Kid is mashing away on a playstation controller for some off-road dune buggy racer, and it's obviously on "demo" mode and playing itself. The stepdad comes in and is all, "Okay, bed time," and he's like, "I'm almost to a save point"... What, are you going to get to a save point on the 4th lap? This is kind of before big bombastic "story" modes in racers.

Saw a commercial for Fruit Loops the other day that did the same thing. They had the wife playing Super Mario Bros, but instead of actually playing the game, it went into the demo (where Mario on the start screen runs to the right and the title box scrolls off the screen).

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Squalitude posted:

Not that I want them to make human ladders or anything.
The books (or maybe just the handguide) actually do mention the whole zombie ramp thing that happened in Jerusalem in the movie. Except that it wasn't with regard to some ridiculously high wall and it didn't happen over the course of a minute, it was a potential long-term issue if you kept killing zombies near your wall. But yeah overall they have sub-insect levels of intelligence, any sort of maneuvers they do are just dumb luck.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

shock.wav posted:

I really enjoyed Snowpiercer but there was something that bugged me more and more as the movie went on.

It's a train, there is a single thoroughfare through the carriages, so with each carriage they went through I kept thinking how the schoolkids (who are towards the back of the train) would have to walk through the nightclub, the sauna, the restaurant, the loving marine lab, just to get to school every morning, As would everyone else, it would just be a constant flow of hundreds of people making their way back and forth along a narrow walkway all day long, interrupting everyone else and causing endless chaos.

No, I didn't miss the point of the movie, this just bugged me.

I was under the impression that all the train cars were individual eco systems, and just one handler or group went through the train cars to distribute necessities. Like the dude with the easter eggs would come with other things like water bottles and food. They'd just be covered carts so each train wouldn't know what the others were getting.
Maybe I'm just adding justification filler V:)V

shock.wav
May 25, 2009

Firstborn posted:

On the other hand, if poo poo heel stepdad doesn't know anything about games, maybe "i'm almost to a save point" is a great way to say, "you're not my real dad, fucker".

Scrubs did this with a really weird ad placement for 'Quake Wars'.

At least, I'm assuming it was an ad placement. It was around the time the game came out, and I'm assuming the distributor had to allow them to use the footage, but the way they used it was unusual.

JD and Turk had become obsessed with a nameless video game, and whenever they show the screen, it was footage from Quake Wars, which is a very non-arcade Battlefield-style FPS. But the dialogue used when talking about the game was always "Oh man I'm about to get the high score!" "I can't believe you got to level 5!!"

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
I really like the movie Outbreak, but something that has bothered me for a loooong time is that even though the virus comes from Africa, it does so on a capuccin monkey, which is an American species.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
A couple of things in Snowpiercer:

People communicate across language barriers using a translation device, but they always stop using it after a few exchanges and continue speaking in their native tongues with perfect understanding. I'm sure the director just didn't want to have every line of dialogue repeated in a different language, but it was off-putting.

Also, Yona being clairvoyant is entirely irrelevant to the movie and serves only to slightly intensify the scene in which it is mentioned. Unless I'm missing something.

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

In zombie movies they tear people apart and eat them. How did Kelly from Dead Set become a zombie? They showed the zombies eating everyone on the set they could get to yet she's unmolested and in a mall at the end as a zombie too. So they didn't eat her? Why not?

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

Non Serviam posted:

I really like the movie Outbreak, but something that has bothered me for a loooong time is that even though the virus comes from Africa, it does so on a capuccin monkey, which is an American species.

Also no one who works in a lab would never slow down the centrifuge like that. Bothered me too.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also, Yona being clairvoyant is entirely irrelevant to the movie and serves only to slightly intensify the scene in which it is mentioned. Unless I'm missing something.

I think it's meant to come into play at the end, when she opens up the floor in the engine car. She knew that Timmy was under the floor as a living piece of the engine.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Bippie Mishap posted:

Also no one who works in a lab would never slow down the centrifuge like that. Bothered me too.

But he was in a hurry! He had to get to the movies!!!

Yea that part bugged the hell out of me as well. "SPINNING GLASS? HAH! NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME, SINCE I WORK IN A LAB AND KNOW ALL ABOUT BLOOD RELATED PATHOGENS!"

It's like he just had a full blown retard moment.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Bippie Mishap posted:

Yeah, that's even worse. He didn't slow it down, he just opened it, while still moving, and shoved his hand inside.

Still, I love the movie. I've been watching a bunch of infection-related movies, any suggestions? (already on queue The Crazies)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Henchman of Santa posted:

A couple of things in Snowpiercer:

People communicate across language barriers using a translation device, but they always stop using it after a few exchanges and continue speaking in their native tongues with perfect understanding. I'm sure the director just didn't want to have every line of dialogue repeated in a different language, but it was off-putting.

You can actually hear the translated dialogue low in the audio in every scene it's used. It's meant to be watched with subtitles for the language(s) you don't understand, but I thought it was pretty neat how they kept the machine-translation instead of changing what language the actors speak.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Non Serviam posted:

Yeah, that's even worse. He didn't slow it down, he just opened it, while still moving, and shoved his hand inside.

Still, I love the movie. I've been watching a bunch of infection-related movies, any suggestions? (already on queue The Crazies)
I haven't seen Outbreak in ages but isn't he just distracted? I'm sure he's looking at something else and just sticks his hand in not realising it's still spinning.

Also, to tie this in to the World War Z discussion, I'm piss-sick of zombies so I expected to hate WWZ but I actually quite enjoyed it because I thought it was quite like Outbreak. Like they'd just taken a movie about an infectious disease and put zombies in it as a way to visualise the spread. :shrug:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Bippie Mishap posted:

In zombie movies they tear people apart and eat them.

That's a weird plot hole in almost every zombie-related thing. Are they actually eating people? There's millions of fully intact people with one bite on their arm. You'd think they'd get lucky more than once a movie and actually catch and eat some people. George Romero's the only one that seemed to occasionally remember the whole cannibalism angle.

Pneub has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Jul 11, 2014

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I feel like that's largely dependent on effects budget, which makes sense, but yeah, I agree there should be more half-eaten zombies, and zombies just twitching and writhing on the ground as extra-chunky skeletons.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
I'm a dumb nerd so I made a thing to express my issue with the time travel in Days of Future Past:

It's 2014ish and there are Sentinels everywhere, everyone's hosed. They send Wolverine back and he tries to change poo poo, but it seems like the Sentinel timeline is set and staying on track in spite of his efforts. Then the climax happens and everything changes and we decisively begin the timeline where the Sentinels don't exist so in that version of 2014ish everything is okay and everyone's alive. Now once the second timeline is secure and it's not necessary to send Wolverine back anymore, he snaps back to the present day but in the Non-Sentinel Timeline, but he has all his memories from when there WERE Sentinels. But presumably he's been walking around doing things for the 50ish years in between, living life in the NonSent time, until That Day happens when he wakes up and suddenly those 50ish years of memories just vanish and he is almost literally retarded.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pneub posted:

That's a weird plot hole in almost every zombie-related thing. Are they actually eating people? There's millions of fully intact people with one bite on their arm. You'd think they'd get lucky more than once a movie and actually catch and eat some people. John Romero's the only one that seemed to occasionally remember the whole cannibalism angle.

John Romero programmed Doom. You're thinking of George A Romero.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pilchenstein posted:

I haven't seen Outbreak in ages but isn't he just distracted? I'm sure he's looking at something else and just sticks his hand in not realising it's still spinning.

Which is still dumb, because 90% of centrifuges won't let you open the lid when it's spinning.

I mean, yeah, these little tiny ones will:

But I'm pretty sure he's using a larger, more "fancy" one that wouldn't let him.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

DrBouvenstein posted:

Which is still dumb, because 90% of centrifuges won't let you open the lid when it's spinning.
I'll be the first to admit I know gently caress all about centrifuges, so I'll take your word for it.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Buzkashi posted:

I'm a dumb nerd so I made a thing to express my issue with the time travel in Days of Future Past:

That sure is the plot of the movie.
I'm reading two possible things from this:

1. You don't like that he keeps his original memories. That happening was mentioned before his consciousness was sent back in time. It wasn't just a random thing that happened.

2. You don't like that the original timeline was intact right up until the one big thing that changes the future because anything he does would change the future butterfly effect style. That's probably true, but every alternate future he was creating had one thing in common, super sentinels being created because of some event(s) occuring involving mutants and the government in 1973. So until Mystique is definitely not captured in any possible future timeline, there will always be super sentinels that destroy the world and there is always going to be a final send-Wolverine-back standoff assuming that the core cast is still alive in that timeline's eventual war.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Jedit posted:

Ha, damnit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jedit posted:

Can you prove they're not the same person? Has anyone ever seen them in the same room together?

I rest my case.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Buzkashi posted:

This reminds me of the end of Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, where at the end they've reset the timeline so everything that was touched by the big-bad never happened. Universally everything is better, to the point that Shaggy, for example, is an award winning amateur chef, and his parents are proud of him, and Daphne is the most successful of her sisters (in some vague way). But this really just bums them out because these are not their lives.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

May Contain Nuts posted:

That sure is the plot of the movie.
I'm reading two possible things from this:

1. You don't like that he keeps his original memories. That happening was mentioned before his consciousness was sent back in time. It wasn't just a random thing that happened.

2. You don't like that the original timeline was intact right up until the one big thing that changes the future because anything he does would change the future butterfly effect style. That's probably true, but every alternate future he was creating had one thing in common, super sentinels being created because of some event(s) occuring involving mutants and the government in 1973. So until Mystique is definitely not captured in any possible future timeline, there will always be super sentinels that destroy the world and there is always going to be a final send-Wolverine-back standoff assuming that the core cast is still alive in that timeline's eventual war.

I'm not saying I didn't like anything, I still enjoyed the movie, I'm just saying that must be rough on his students who are mid-semester and suddenly their history teacher doesn't know history.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Pilchenstein posted:

You would have to be completely deaf not to hear a spinning centrifuge, not to mention you would feel it moving when you went to open it.

There are no plausible excuses for anyone working in a lab to blindly open a running centrifuge and jam their hand into it.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Buzkashi posted:

I'm not saying I didn't like anything, I still enjoyed the movie, I'm just saying that must be rough on his students who are mid-semester and suddenly their history teacher doesn't know history.

I am sure by the next movie he will have begun to also "remember" his "newish" life as well.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Buzkashi posted:

Luckily for him, 99% of history is unchanged. Just the last 40-50 years that will probably be the same for the most part until the full sentinel uprising stuff.

KoB has a new favorite as of 20:38 on Jul 11, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Bill Dungsroman posted:

You would have to be completely deaf not to hear a spinning centrifuge, not to mention you would feel it moving when you went to open it.

There are no plausible excuses for anyone working in a lab to blindly open a running centrifuge and jam their hand into it.

I had to look it up, it's amazing.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xayghr_outbreak-part-7_shortfilms

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Lotish posted:

This reminds me of the end of Scooby Doo Mystery Incorporated, where at the end they've reset the timeline so everything that was touched by the big-bad never happened. Universally everything is better, to the point that Shaggy, for example, is an award winning amateur chef, and his parents are proud of him, and Daphne is the most successful of her sisters (in some vague way). But this really just bums them out because these are not their lives.

This is what bugs me so much about Hot Tub Time Machine. These guys come back to a time that they've had no part of. They aren't the same people that their wives married. They didn't earn these lives. They basically just stole someone elses lives and are being horrible people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Non Serviam posted:

Contagion was pretty solid.

Leper Residue posted:

This is what bugs me so much about Hot Tub Time Machine. These guys come back to a time that they've had no part of. They aren't the same people that their wives married. They didn't earn these lives. They basically just stole someone elses lives and are being horrible people.

That's kind of the joke though, isn't it?