Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This video of a town meeting in Vassar, Michigan has been all over the internet. There is a closed detention center near the town and a company called Wolverine wants to open it up so 120 children can be housed there while they're processed by immigration. The children will stay on the facility for 3 to 5 weeks. They would not attend local schools or interact with the local community in any way, but that's not enough for these folks, they insist Obummer is lying, he's wiping his rear end with the constitution, and what if these immigrant children stay in Vassar? They'll vote Democrat! One woman stands up and says they should put land mines on the border to keep these children out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe1WjvH4w_M

Here's a picture of the people picketing outside the community center before the meeting.

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2014/07/child_refugee_controversy_in_v.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

FAUXTON posted:

I don't think it tops the list but I was expecting you to shoot for it with mick foley forever or fishmech style shitposting about graffiti artists being tarred with the label of vandal like it was at all relevant to some rear end in a top hat's spraypaint on what may even be their own campaign signs.

Aren't you not supposed to admit that you're just baiting people into worthless derails? If you could go shitpost elsewhere else that'd be pretty cool. Unless your 12th dimensional chess game is derailing this into a thread about how bad your posting is, in which case kudos.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

radical meme posted:

I haven't seen anything until I did a google search just now. It doesn't matter if its the truth or not, it's probably not or it's probably a variation of the real truth, because all of the usual right wing talking heads have picked it up and are running with it. The only news hits I saw were for Brietbart, The Blaze, Rush Limbaugh and so on. I'm sure if you tune into Mark Levin right now he's probably going with it also. Even if it turns out to be a complete lie, these people will never walk it back or admit fault.

Yeah, basically. The fact that Brietbart apparently never even contacted the TSA because they're too stupid to use a website amuses me though.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

This video of a town meeting in Vassar, Michigan has been all over the internet. There is a closed detention center near the town and a company called Wolverine wants to open it up so 120 children can be housed there while they're processed by immigration. The children will stay on the facility for 3 to 5 weeks. They would not attend local schools or interact with the local community in any way, but that's not enough for these folks, they insist Obummer is lying, he's wiping his rear end with the constitution, and what if these immigrant children stay in Vassar? They'll vote Democrat! One woman stands up and says they should put land mines on the border to keep these children out.

Here's a picture of the people picketing outside the community center before the meeting.

Does that sign really say, "Keep us pure MI"?

Jesus wept!

edit: nothing good ever comes from white people talking about purity

radical meme fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 11, 2014

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2014/07/child_refugee_controversy_in_v.html

Expect a lot more of this all across the country in the days and weeks to come. There's a facility in my area that was just revealed to be housing a couple dozen kids and they put in a request for expansion so they could get a couple dozen more, and the neighbors are losing their goddamned minds over it.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Kitfox88 posted:

So is there even remotely a grain of truth to this? I can't find anywhere else talking about it besides Breitbart and lolbreitbart. I already have relatives trying to use it to justify why we should impeach the fucker and send them all back to mexico and :suicide:

Brietbard's source is the National Border Patrol Council (border patrol union), which has been poo poo for many years. In this instance, the UNION is pitching up a fit because they're going to get more agents and some kids get better meals or housing instead of just more border agents. The union leadership has been xenophobic conservocrats for some time now. Geee, why would the border patrol union be filled with generations of homeland-loving 300 wannabes? Let me think...

Anyway, why would the border patrol union even have this information? Border patrol turns kids over to DHS and that's the last of it for them.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

What a bunch of disgusting pieces of poo poo.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

radical meme posted:

Jesus wept!

Yeah, I did a double-take on that myself. The reaction from the right towards busloads of children for gently caress's sake is as vile as any nativism I can think of in this country since the Know-Nothings, though at the moment less violent.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, basically. The fact that Brietbart apparently never even contacted the TSA because they're too stupid to use a website amuses me though.

More Brietbart being lovely from Rawstory:

Rawstory posted:

Adding to unfounded worries that immigrant children attempting to enter the U.S. are reintroducing a panoply of diseases such as Ebola and dengue fever, conservatives grew more agitated yesterday after “American security contractors” found what they believed to be a “Muslim prayer rug” abandoned near the Arizona border.

A spokesperson for American Patriot, Three Percent — a self-styled militia patrolling the Mexican/U.S. border — contacted Breitbart.com and relayed the discovery of the ‘rug’ Monday night, just south of Sierra Vista in Coronado national forest.

According to the spokesman, Matthew Leber, the “patrol” was walking through a wash when he spied something on the ground.

“That’s when I saw this thing laying around. And I was like, ‘What the hell is that?’ We walked over there and I didn’t really want to pull at it not knowing what was on it, ” Leber said. “I poked a bit at it with a stick and noticed some of the Arabic writing and was just like, ‘Oh boy.’ I snapped a couple of photos and then went on our patrol.”

According to Adam Weinstein at Gawker, the “rug” is actually a diamond-patterned Adidas soccer jersey.
As Weinstein notes, a quick glance at the picture sent to Breitbart by Leber clearly shows a sleeve and the distinctive Adidas three-stripe logo.

Yeah, but only Muslims watch soccer anyway, right?

Source.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
So what if it was a prayer rug.

These are children, jesus christ.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You aren't specifying which group you are referring to, but it doesn't really matter since it can apply to both the immigrants and the people who give a poo poo what religion they are.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Serious question, and I haven't seen anything in any article about it. Where the hell are the churches in this whole furor? What happened to the right's catch all miracle cure for all social ills, faith based initiatives and our nation's great christian houses of worship? Where the hell do they stand on the anger and xenophobic hatred towards children? Where do they stand on showing compassion and charity towards these children? What happened to WWJD?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

radical meme posted:

Serious question, and I haven't seen anything in any article about it. Where the hell are the churches in this whole furor? What happened to the right's catch all miracle cure for all social ills, faith based initiatives and our nation's great christian houses of worship? Where the hell do they stand on the anger and xenophobic hatred towards children? What happened to WWJD?

I wouldn't doubt that a good deal of the women holding up the "KEEP MI PURE" signs are churchgoers and consider themselves devout Christians.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

radical meme posted:

Serious question, and I haven't seen anything in any article about it. Where the hell are the churches in this whole furor? What happened to the right's catch all miracle cure for all social ills, faith based initiatives and our nation's great christian houses of worship? Where the hell do they stand on the anger and xenophobic hatred towards children? What happened to WWJD?

IIRC they are doing things to help but conservatives are getting mad at them because they/the children are Hispanic.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

radical meme posted:

Jesus wept!

I N F O W A R S

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Once again I am embarrassed as gently caress about my state. This is becoming a common occurrence.

Ugh.

loving infowars. Seriously?

Edit : the pure thing is a not so clever nod to the "Pure Michigan" thing we have here. It's not usually a racist thing haha

Dirt fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 12, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

radical meme posted:

Serious question, and I haven't seen anything in any article about it. Where the hell are the churches in this whole furor? What happened to the right's catch all miracle cure for all social ills, faith based initiatives and our nation's great christian houses of worship? Where the hell do they stand on the anger and xenophobic hatred towards children? Where do they stand on showing compassion and charity towards these children? What happened to WWJD?

The churches in general have been pushing hard for immigration reform, compassion, charity, etc.
Therefore they are being completely ignored.

e: from the Freeper thread

quote:

Catholics importing more poor Mexican...Lutherans importing more Somalians to get signed up for MN welfare... there are plenty of ‘religious’ leftists always clamoring for bigger gubmint ‘safety nets’ .

IIRC,Catholic Charities now gets 40% of their $ from gubmint grants.

50 posted on Wednesday, July 09, 2014 6:51:36 AM by TurboZamboni (Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.-JFK)

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

radical meme posted:

Jesus wept!

Pure Michigan is their latest tourism slogan so it's probably a play on that.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

radical meme posted:

Jesus wept!

As much as we all want to :godwin: these people, Pure Michigan is an advertising campaign that has been going on for a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZDz2Z3GyM

ed: just slightly edged out on the advertisement angle

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oil! posted:

As much as we all want to :godwin: these people, Pure Michigan is an advertising campaign that has been going on for a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZDz2Z3GyM

ed: just slightly edged out on the advertisement angle

Not to belittle the state's ad campaign but, the addition of those two little words "Keep us" in front of the ad tag kinda gives the whole thing a brand new meaning. You don't even have to get to the InfoWars reference to make the connection.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Cheekio posted:

All I got from that link was that this might be the most awkward photo I've seen of either the president or the speaker: http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/assets/4679807/11665041405_0263dbba99_o.jpg
For a second there I looked at the image wrong and thought Obama was resting his hand on Boehner's thigh and drat if that isn't a loving hilarious image. "Are you uncomfortable, John?"

radical meme posted:

Walter White talking about (methamphetamine) purity gave us some great television :colbert:

radical meme posted:

It's hardly a new thing that conservatives ignore the church and it's teachings whenever it might get in the way of their constant umbrage.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ballz posted:

Expect a lot more of this all across the country in the days and weeks to come. There's a facility in my area that was just revealed to be housing a couple dozen kids and they put in a request for expansion so they could get a couple dozen more, and the neighbors are losing their goddamned minds over it.

Ah, GOP outreach to Hispanics is super on track I see. In an election cycle or three I look forward to the pundits pondering what possibly could have pushed the Hispanic vote to mirror the Black vote in percentages voting Democratic.

If only Hillary would officially announce her candidacy before November we could see the full power of GOP racism and misogyny.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kitfox88 posted:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Anyone who thinks we should use land mines for any problem that isn't an end of the world style military conflict is an evil gently caress. Those things should be listed along with chemical weapons as a weapon that will never be used again.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

quote:

"This is a Christian issue. It's about responding with help, giving and doing our part, and I think most people would view it that way. We have to ask ourselves, are we going to be the good Samaritans?" — Dan Grimshaw of Vassar, a Republican candidate for the Michigan House of Representatives 84th District

"The housing of illegal aliens is violating U.S. laws. President Obama is failing to uphold the Constitution and laws enacted by Congress. ... President Obama would be classified as a domestic terrorist. He is creating an atmosphere of fear and terror." — Tom Wassa of Fairgrove, a Republican candidate for the Michigan House of Representatives 84th District

Well one of these guys isn't in it to win it.:v:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Good Citizen posted:

Anyone who thinks we should use land mines for any problem that isn't an end of the world style military conflict is an evil gently caress. Those things should be listed along with chemical weapons as a weapon that will never be used again.

There's a treaty (yeah, yeah) that 160 nations signed that says they won't use antipersonnel mines. The US hasn't signed it of course but all their mines are designed to self-destruct or go inert after a short time which is better than nothing :shrug:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's a treaty (yeah, yeah) that 160 nations signed that says they won't use antipersonnel mines. The US hasn't signed it of course but all their mines are designed to self-destruct or go inert after a short time which is better than nothing :shrug:

Actually this might be changing. I don't expect Congress to sign the treaty though.

http://www.voanews.com/content/us-moves-to-phase-out-landmines/1946501.html

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

Here's the video;

http://www.c-span.org/video/?320376-1/president-obama-jobs-economy

It starts off slow, but by the end he's leaning over the podium and ripping into the Republican congress for not doing anything.

You know, if this Obama had shown up a few years ago I'd feel a lot better about this country.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

I can't remember the last time the nativist crowd was this blunt and honest about their opinion towards minorities. I guess their brains are so thoroughly marinated in hysterical Drudge/Infowars nonsense that they think being a vicious and open racist is okay now.

Christ on a loving crutch, they're talking about forcefully repelling preteen Central American refugees by blowing them up with goddamn land mines.

Here's Rick Perry posing with Hannity, wearing a bulletproof vest and manning a loving boat-mounted machine gun to defend Texas from the horde of plague infested rats unaccompanied minors who travel thousands of miles to America and turn themselves in to the first border patrol agent they can find.

None of the usual anti-immigrant justifications really apply here. They're minors, so they aren't coming to steal jobs or commit voter fraud. But they're poor, brown, and they speak Spanish, so we need to deport them all or shoot them before they cross the border.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
If those kids were from Cuba the discussion would be completely different, even if they were still poor, brown, and spoke Spanish.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

We probably would've signed it back in the day, but we wanted an exception or two (e.g. the Korean DMZ) and the ability to place mines that had an expiration date or that we could deactivate. We couldn't get the exceptions, so we didn't end up signing it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaaWd1G8M9A

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

You know, if this Obama had shown up a few years ago I'd feel a lot better about this country.
He did, he's called Campaign Obama and he's designed to distract you from the fact that real Obama hasn't done poo poo and won't ever

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Here's Rick Perry posing with Hannity,

Oh man. I saw that earlier and didn't even recognize Hannity. Now I can give that photo the true hate it deserves.

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

If those kids were from Cuba the discussion would be completely different, even if they were still poor, brown, and spoke Spanish.

Elian Gonzalez

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

radical meme posted:

Oh man. I saw that earlier and didn't even recognize Hannity. Now I can give that photo the true hate it deserves.

Not recognizing either, I was wondering how two chucklefucks on the boarder managed to sneak that gun through automatic weapon restriction loopholes.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Defenestration posted:

He did, he's called Campaign Obama and he's designed to distract you from the fact that real Obama hasn't done poo poo and won't ever

What poo poo would you like him to do?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

socialsecurity posted:

Well the president is a God Emperor so obviously he can do whatever he wants, duh. :rolleyes:

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Defenestration posted:

Please, tell me what kind of fantastic things he could do without the cooperation of congress. :allears:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

socialsecurity posted:

Declare republicans illegal forever and begin bombing in five minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Defenestration posted:

Dystram posted:

Please, tell me what kind of fantastic things he could do without the cooperation of congress. :allears:

I thought a forty minute long call out on the congressional republicans was a good start. :shrug:

• Locked thread