Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
Sure, but it continued to develop. It wasn't better than cawblade but that's hardly a mark against it: nothing was better than cawblade.

From personal experience, playing the deck was almost a bye against mono-red aggro and close to it against other aggro decks. If you happened to be in an area where that was popular, it was a defensible decision, and thus standard playable. Niche, but playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

suicidesteve posted:

Except he lets you do it with lands in your deck.

He does have the problem of dying to removal that balustrade spy lacks though.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Today's Latest Developments implies very strongly than Horsemanship or some rework of it is in Tarkir.

AF: (Horses aren't creatures)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

jscolon2.0 posted:

Today's Latest Developments implies very strongly than Horsemanship or some rework of it is in Tarkir.

AF: (Horses aren't creatures)

That's a joke based on the art.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

cheetah7071 posted:

That's a joke based on the art.

... I am slow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I always thought some sort of rider/mount mechanic would be cool.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

So something between Griffin Rider's ability and Soulbond?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

L0cke17 posted:

So something between Griffin Rider's ability and Soulbond?

Exactly.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

They have this it is called Bestow.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Warlord: Saga Of The Storm had mounts as items, so possibly an Equipment? It could mechanically represent a generic warhorse, but I'm not sure if it would fit for 'higher' mounts.
Does have issues with existing art, but from a purely mechanical standpoint, that seems like a good way to do it.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Something like "artifact creature--equipment horse" maybe.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

They have this it is called Bestow.

Kind of, but "mounting" would have the reverse order (rider onto steed) and could be repeated without unsummoning the mount, and riding would maybe be restricted to certain creatures types or creatures w/ a certain keyword ability.

Or something like that. (But it's similar enough to Bestow to have no chance of appearing in Tarkir).

fake edit:Yeah it'd be kind of like Creature Equipments.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I want them to bring back Cowards. It would fit flavorfully in a world where the mongols are murdering everyone.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

L0cke17 posted:

I want them to bring back Cowards. It would fit flavorfully in a world where the mongols are murdering everyone.

They just did in Conspiracy

e: Is Coward a proper creature type? Could you name Coward with Obelisk of Urd and make them get +2/+2 for one red mana, the world wonders

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 12, 2014

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

UberJew posted:

They just did in Conspiracy

They reprinted the one card. I want there to be more of them.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

UberJew posted:

e: Is Coward a proper creature type? Could you name Coward with Obelisk of Urd and make them get +2/+2 for one red mana, the world wonders

Yes it is. If it wasn't a proper creature type it couldn't be given to creatures.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can you make up creature types, or can you only name ones (if prompted) that have appeared in one form or another?

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Rinkles posted:

Can you make up creature types, or can you only name ones (if prompted) that have appeared in one form or another?

There is a list in the rules of all the creature types in the game. You can only chose one of those.

Here's an article that lists all of them. I can't remember any new creature types being introduced since this article but, I could be wrong. http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1336

Obscil fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 12, 2014

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Obscil posted:

There is a list in the rules of all the creature types in the game. You can only chose one of those.

Weird Sponge Flagbearer

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Kind of, but "mounting" would have the reverse order (rider onto steed) and could be repeated without unsummoning the mount, and riding would maybe be restricted to certain creatures types or creatures w/ a certain keyword ability.

Or something like that. (But it's similar enough to Bestow to have no chance of appearing in Tarkir).

fake edit:Yeah it'd be kind of like Creature Equipments.

Living weapon?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Obscil posted:

Here's an article that lists all of them. I can't remember any new creature types being introduced since this article but, I could be wrong. http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/1336

That list is notably missing the critical Lady-of-Proper-Etiquette creature type.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Living weapon?

In terms of flavor at least, that's not at all what I had in mind. And the fact that both rider and mount were creatures was pretty central to my stupid musings.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Soulbond would possibly be a good way to simulate the flavor of mounts if you wanted to also keep the horses (or whatever) as creatures unto themselves, rather than artifacts (which creates its own flavor issues).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Soulbond would possibly be a good way to simulate the flavor of mounts if you wanted to also keep the horses (or whatever) as creatures unto themselves, rather than artifacts (which creates its own flavor issues).

Besides flavor, the only "problem" there is that you don't have control over unpairing creatures and there's no restriction on pairing (though if I'm not mistaken, Soulbound in an earlier incarnation actually required the ability in both creatures but that playtested poorly).

Thank you thread for indulging me with my dumb idea.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Apparently Maro is hinting in his blog that we've already seen Tarkir in one of the Planechase decks. Potentially this one? http://magiccards.info/query?q=%21Kharasha+Foothills

Did he specify that we saw it on a plane card?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He's just going to be like haha its dragonlair spider got you again nubs and we're all going to shake our fists impotently.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
It's not unheard of for "Mongol world" to have been Mongseng originally. Reminder that "Greek world" was Arkhos.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Rinkles posted:

Besides flavor, the only "problem" there is that you don't have control over unpairing creatures and there's no restriction on pairing (though if I'm not mistaken, Soulbound in an earlier incarnation actually required the ability in both creatures but that playtested poorly).

Thank you thread for indulging me with my dumb idea.

A mount having a special bond with a particular rider (and vice versa) is a pretty obvious flavor dunk, though. It's an easily recognizable trope, especially in heroic fantasy. You're right in that it doesn't embody the flavor of every possible interaction (or even most of the possible interactions) but I see no evidence that an elk being able to ride a horse would be more of a 'problem,' Magically speaking, than a bird wielding swords.

If one really needed to sew up the flavor, you could easily solve it with an extra ability or two that would work with, rather than supplant, the soulbond keyword. 'Pair this only with a Human,' or such.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Just some food for thought, maybe there's real synergy here somewhere, but perilous vault doesn't kikl any of the mans you make with nissa, worldwaker

Kinda makes me want to try a rug or bug deck before shocks rotate out.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Homo for Hitler posted:

Just some food for thought, maybe there's real synergy here somewhere, but perilous vault doesn't kikl any of the mans you make with nissa, worldwaker

Kinda makes me want to try a rug or bug deck before shocks rotate out.

I'm not sure if the current standard is slow enough for Perilous Vault, but post-rotation that could definitely work well, I think. No shocks then, though :(

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

I think if it'll work at all, it has to be done while you still have shocks, aetherling, and possibly abrupt decay still in rotation. If you really badly need to unload a vault, you can do it with 5 lands and nissa in play. The only thing that I can't really think of to make it work is a card drawing engine of some sort.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

So I found out tonight that the guy who always works at the front desk of my lgs used to be a big magic player. I knew he used to play, but apparently he came up with a big type 1 deck. I googled his name: David gearhart. Yeah he invented solidarity :stare:

According to him hes won 60+ dual lands from scg tournaments and now I believe him.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mortimer posted:

So I found out tonight that the guy who always works at the front desk of my lgs used to be a big magic player. I knew he used to play, but apparently he came up with a big type 1 deck. I googled his name: David gearhart. Yeah he invented solidarity :stare:

According to him hes won 60+ dual lands from scg tournaments and now I believe him.

You should play him a few rounds.

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007
Can someone help me out with the exact rules regarding turns. The prerelease I am at the kid they have as the judge is trying to say who ever has more life at the end of turns is the winner but I can't find the actual rule anywhere that actually says how turns works

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Captain Filth posted:

Can someone help me out with the exact rules regarding turns. The prerelease I am at the kid they have as the judge is trying to say who ever has more life at the end of turns is the winner but I can't find the actual rule anywhere that actually says how turns works

If there isn't an actual winner in turns it's a draw

Oh sorry this isnt of use to you let me dig

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Captain Filth posted:

116. End-of-Match Procedure
If the match time limit is reached before a winner is determined, the active player (as defined in the Magic game rules) finishes his or her turn and five total additional turns are played. For example, time is called on player A’s turn. Player A finishes his or her turn. Player B takes extra turn #1, Player A takes extra turn #2, Player B takes extra turn #3, player A takes extra turn #4, and player B takes extra turn #5.

Players take any extra turns granted to them by effects as they normally would during the course of the game, but any extra turn counts as one of the five end-of-match turns. Once five extra turns are completed, the game finishes regardless of any remaining effect-generated extra turns.

If the game finishes before the fifth turn is completed, the match is over and no new game begins.

If a judge assigned a time or turn extension (because of a long ruling, deck check, or other reason), the end-of-match procedure does not begin until the end of the time or turn extension.

A game that is not completed when the match ends is considered a draw. Any games that have not been played when the match ends are not counted in the final match score.

Source: http://www.wizards.com/dci/downloads/mtg_flr_1dec06_en.txt

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007
Awesome thank you

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Obscil posted:

Lamia was added.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'm looking forward to my game store's prereleases. Last time, the first one, at noon, was really packed, and with a bunch of people (32) that were pretty laid back, and there were some pretty good games. The second one was a lot quieter, with only about 8 people, as there's a few other game stores in a half hour's drive who were going to be running several events staggered from my store's hours, with much larger prize pools. Due to the much lower number of players(he planned for 16), the owner doubled the prize pool to give out all the free product he had left, and in return, we ended up buying out his stock of prerelease packs. I'm expecting something similar today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Homo for Hitler posted:

116. End-of-Match Procedure
If the match time limit is reached before a winner is determined, the active player (as defined in the Magic game rules) finishes his or her turn and five total additional turns are played. For example, time is called on player A’s turn. Player A finishes his or her turn. Player B takes extra turn #1, Player A takes extra turn #2, Player B takes extra turn #3, player A takes extra turn #4, and player B takes extra turn #5.

Players take any extra turns granted to them by effects as they normally would during the course of the game, but any extra turn counts as one of the five end-of-match turns. Once five extra turns are completed, the game finishes regardless of any remaining effect-generated extra turns.

If the game finishes before the fifth turn is completed, the match is over and no new game begins.

If a judge assigned a time or turn extension (because of a long ruling, deck check, or other reason), the end-of-match procedure does not begin until the end of the time or turn extension.

A game that is not completed when the match ends is considered a draw. Any games that have not been played when the match ends are not counted in the final match score.

Source: http://www.wizards.com/dci/downloads/mtg_flr_1dec06_en.txt

Note that the end of match procedures vary if you're in a single elimination part of a tournament (top 8 usually)

• Locked thread