Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

A Catastrophe posted:

Disappointed that y'all didn't mention the most glorious of the ttrpg-to-crpg career paths, that of Mister Chris Avellone.\

Warren Spector made better games both for the table top and the vidcon though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

No matter how many times I see it, "vidcon" still sounds to me like something that would get you put on the sex offenders registry.

A Catastrophe
Jun 26, 2014

Mr. Maltose posted:

Warren Spector made better games both for the table top and the vidcon though?
And then he made invisible war and epic mickey. I think they're comparable figures, unless we're going to start putting devs in cage matches and talking about 'Game Gods' and poo poo.

And in tabletop terms, IIRC Avellone did work for the Hero system, which while flawed, is one of the most interesting and unique rpgs ever made.

It formalized a deliberate gulf between mechanics and character narrative, which is one of the key milestones in rpg design. And while it was undeniably an absurdly complex world-building do-anything mega-rpg, it was at least, an absurdly complex world-building do-anything mega-rpg that actually did the job, unlike other rpgs that make that claim. It's also an RPG which is more like a computer code than any other in history, with each power being comparable to a dos era command line, wich is both ridiculous, and fascinating.

All of this makes it a very interesting background for a crpg developer, and I've often wondered what kind of influence it had on him, and other devs. Hero has a pretty interesting stable of former players actually- Fred Hicks played it, and, as a bad example, John Wick's terrible Mister Carter stories are of him running a game of Champions, the Hero system's flagship super-rpg. In part his bizarre power-tripping 'play dirty' gming can be traced to his frustration with Hero System's use of Disadvantage points.

A Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 11, 2014

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Crosscontaminant posted:

No matter how many times I see it, "vidcon" still sounds to me like something that would get you put on the sex offenders registry.

This must be really awkward for you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Crosscontaminant posted:

The character to whom the term is fictitiously attributed kinda also belongs on the sex offenders registry. I'd say that's consistent with the joke.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
A bit late on the one-shots vs epic campaigns discussion, but part of the reason the latter seem dominant is because it only takes one years long game to have that be a really significant chunk of your play experience.

I've been playing for 18 years (:stare: oh god), and in that time have started probably thirty or forty games between face to face and PBP, of which only five have actually turned into years long, involved campaigns. Or possibly six, I feel like I'm missing one in my count. In any case, those games amount to half or more of my total play experience, and it's only that low because I did a lot of organized play like Living Greyhawk and Living Forgotten Realms, and lots of convention play, to balance it out.

For a lot of gamers, that one epic game is going to represent an overwhelming proportion of their total play experience, even they are the types to try out one-shots regularly. Think of it this way - if you game two nights a week, one-shots or short campaigns on Tuesdays and a big honking epic on Saturdays, that one epic game is going to be half of your RPG time. And two gaming nights a week is above average.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

DocBubonic posted:

I assume the players know coming into this that they're playing a horror game. For a horror game to be successful I believe the game needs to illicit some emotional response from the players. In order to do this, the players need to let the GM do things like "negate their character choices" and trust that GM isn't just out to screw the characters over with no chance of victory. Yeah, there's a way of defeating the monsters, but it just happens that shotguns and flamethrowers aren't the way to go.

I dunno, some media, like STALKER and System Shock 2, had murderhoboing the gribblies with big guns totally be a viable method for solving the problem while still being scary.

Yes, they can kill it, but can they kill it before it kills them?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Why do people believe RPGPundit lives in Uruguay? I mean, maybe there is some way to know this, but I have always assumed that was just one of many parts of his heaped-on fabricated world and he is probably in Lincoln, Nebraska in his parents' basement or something.

Nothing against either Lincoln, Nebraska or parents' basements; big fan

Saguaro PI posted:

This is an element of pretty much every conspiracy theory ever. It's like those people who think the Illuminati controls everything from the shadows and yet apparently compulsively leaves clues about its existence all over the place like the motherfucking Riddler.
Going along with what Mr. Maltose said, this is pretty important to maintaining the entire conspiracy charade--they have to be able to draw a clear line between the UNENLIGHTENED and the ENLIGHTENED and they know that the reason these organizations leave clues everywhere is because they are MOCKING US because they THINK WE DO NOT KNOW but WE DO KNOW, MAN, AND YOU CAN KNOW TOO, AND :awesome:

Beautiful.

Tollymain posted:

Where did this idealized idea of a longterm RPG campaign taking place from beginning to end, first level (or its equivalent) to last, with a stable and relatively unchanging group of nonantagonistic people come from? I have never experienced this and yet I see the expectation of this kind of play in a lot of games. I've been thinking a lot lately about oneshot- or a handful of sessions-based design.
Alien Rope Burn talked about this a bit, but this is literally the way that role-playing games were played from before Dungeons & Dragons debuted. Dave Arneson's early-1970s Blackmoor campaign based on Chainmail miniatures rules + his own creativity was virtually indistinguishable from what you describe, other than a greater focus on acquiring land and titles rather than just exploration. And plus, as I always like to point out, everyone played themselves. So of course you would want the campaign to continue indefinitely with the same crew--the crew is you!

Jon Peterson's Playing At The World is the greatest book ever published in the history of our great hobby, by the way, and you all need to own it right now. Then you, too, can realize you just read 50 pages describing nothing but the way in which chess movement evolved into miniatures battles.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Thanlis posted:

Tabletop designers who want to make a living wind up in computer games.

I think people here are being too quick to attribute this to bad fans or bad community. Small market is definitely a factor, but I'd say there's more. The simple fact is that roleplaying is cheap. For the price of one book you can get hours and hours of fun fun you AND your friends. Honestly, think of one RPG session with a GM and 4 players. If you had all gone to the movies instead you'd have spent enough to buy at least two RPG books. But two RPG books last you way more than one session.

And you can't game every day either - you can probably only get your gaming buddies together once a week and once you've all got jobs that becomes even tougher! By contrast, you can easily play a videogame every day.

There are many factors, but the simple outcome is that even many of the posters here - ones who care a bunch about roleplaying and prefer it to videogames - spend more money on videogames than they do on tabletop games.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Quarex posted:

Why do people believe RPGPundit lives in Uruguay? I mean, maybe there is some way to know this, but I have always assumed that was just one of many parts of his heaped-on fabricated world and he is probably in Lincoln, Nebraska in his parents' basement or something.

Nothing against either Lincoln, Nebraska or parents' basements; big fan

Because unless he did some convoluted chain of events to really anyonmize his identity then all evidence points to him being in Uruguay.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013

Loki_XLII posted:

I don't really see Monster of the Weeks genre as horror at all. Like, it's got a lot of things leading it to be a solid Buffy/Supernatural style game, and I don't really think those shows are horror, outside of a few episodes. It's probably something more along the lines of Urban Fantasy, with some horror trappings.

And that could be a great genre for a PbtA game to emulate. I read Monster of the Week and can get a Buffy game out of it. It's main problem is that it has a lot of other stuff that pushes it to maybe be The X-Files, or Fringe, or even some Dresden Files, and then it becomes too many genres to emulate entirely. It also borrows from Apocalypse World's base moves too much, which leads it to feel even more generic on top of its lack of focus.

With that said, I like parts of Monster of the Week. It's got some great adventure design guidelines, and good advice for running a more episodic game. If they designed better base moves and tightened up the genre, it really could be a great PbtA game.

I haven't played MotW, but Urban Shadows does a pretty good job of blending things like Supernatural, Buffy and Dresden together.

quote:

Tabletop to video game stuffs

There's a lot of board game people at Firaxis too, including Ananda Gupta, who is still making a Twilight Struggle expansion while working on XCOM.

Board/Card games have raised in profile massively in the gaming industry recently, a lot of ideas and people are crossing over between them. Not so RPGs, and the community might well have a lot to do with that.

WordMercenary fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 11, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MadScientistWorking posted:

Because unless he did some convoluted chain of events to really anyonmize his identity then all evidence points to him being in Uruguay.

My guess is that an environment where it's socially acceptable to wear Tommy Bahama shirts and fedoras would be a good place for him to lay low.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
What are the big days for traditional gaming? You know, like Free RPG day and International Tabletop Day? I'm treasurer for my college's board gaming club and I'm thinking of using the facebook page our members subscribed to to inform them of things like this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure that's it, and even then Tabletop Day is focused more on board games than RPGs.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm pretty sure that's it, and even then Tabletop Day is focused more on board games than RPGs.

I mean traditional gaming in general. Board Games, Card Games, RPGs, War Games, etcetera.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Covok posted:

I mean traditional gaming in general. Board Games, Card Games, RPGs, War Games, etcetera.

I honestly don't know of any other than the ones you just listed.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
You could turn other things into events for your club, like a special night during Gencon for everyone not at Gencon.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

General Ironicus posted:

You could turn other things into events for your club, like a special night during Gencon for everyone not at Gencon.

This is a super good idea. Also doing one off adventure nights using PnP starter adventures when new games come out and stuff.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I wish I could go to GenCon, but I gotta leave Indy to go back to college before it starts. poo poo sucks.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Anybody know of a good game for playing doctors in a hospital that isn't Fiasco?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Use FAE, run Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Running Darkplace in anything but Fiasco seems against the spirit of it.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

One of the sample scenarios in the Cortex Plus Hacker's guide is basically that, though a bit sparse on the details. (Cortex+ is a good game, right?)

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Anybody know of a good game for playing doctors in a hospital that isn't Fiasco?

Maybe Primetime Adventures or Now Playing if you're going for an E.R./Scrubs vibe.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

TurninTrix posted:

One of the sample scenarios in the Cortex Plus Hacker's guide is basically that, though a bit sparse on the details. (Cortex+ is a good game, right?)

Cortex+ is possibly the BEST game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Covok posted:

What are the big days for traditional gaming? You know, like Free RPG day and International Tabletop Day? I'm treasurer for my college's board gaming club and I'm thinking of using the facebook page our members subscribed to to inform them of things like this.

There's Friday Night Magic for a more specific game.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if it's a M*A*S*H game

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Tollymain posted:

Now I totally want to play a D&D (Dungeon Fantasy, whatever) campaign where you're clerics trying to heal the grotesque and bizarre wounds suffered by adventurers in their random, meaningless encounters with the enemy.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
This isn't a campaign, it's a murder... :smith:

This isn't a campaign, it's a moider! :v:

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Tollymain posted:

Isn't that GRUNT refluffed for a war fifteen years earlier?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I would just like to go on record and say the Strands of Fate is the worst loving implementation of Fate out there, even with cash-in games taken into account, and way be one of the worst games I've ever had to make a character for.

e: just talked the GM into using FAE instead, partially because I bought the group copies for Xmas.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 12, 2014

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Zak S just found that I've been tweeting about how his involvement in Next is a bad thing. I guess I'm a real part of the community now?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

General Ironicus posted:

Zak S just found that I've been tweeting about how his involvement in Next is a bad thing. I guess I'm a real part of the community now?

Not until you get "doxxed".

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

General Ironicus posted:

Bad news: I just replied to you. You're obviously part of the conspiracy now. Eat it, sucker.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SunAndSpring posted:

I wish I could go to GenCon, but I gotta leave Indy to go back to college before it starts. poo poo sucks.
DO NOT GIVE UP ON ME NOW SUNANDSPRING

THIS IS YOUR MOMENT

YOU CAN DO THIS

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Gau posted:

Now I totally want to play a D&D (Dungeon Fantasy, whatever) campaign where you're clerics trying to heal the grotesque and bizarre wounds suffered by adventurers in their random, meaningless encounters with the enemy.

My original idea was to have players play doctors and clerics in a fantasy metropolitan hospital and also the adventurers who go out and get the obscure herbs and magical bear asses that allow modern magic medicine to happen.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Multiclassing's painless
It brings on many changes
And I can take it or leave it
If I please

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

General Ironicus posted:

Zak Delenda S

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I had a pretty great game for a bit where we basically played people who were 'dungeon cleanup duty' which basically meant we were in charge of the 99% of the dungeons of the fantasy world where the heroes who go in and never come back out, and had to go in and mop things up and poo poo. It wasn't quite MASH but it was really fun when we had poo poo like having to find a dude who we weren't sure if was alive or dead or a werewolf or a slime thrall or a ghost or five ghosts split among the dungeon because what the gently caress is wrong with wizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Halloween Jack posted:

Multiclassing's painless
It brings on many changes
And I can take it or leave it
If I please

The game of elves is hard to play
I'm gonna lose it anyway
The losing die I'll someday roll
So this is all I have to say.

• Locked thread