Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The Milkman posted:

It's actually selling decently now because of said indie games

I'm not sure it's selling decently outside of Japan, where indie games have even less purchase than they do in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I think the Vita had a "strong" (see: somethink like 50k in the states) month last month due to the Borderlands 2 bundle but outside that and the meager 15-20k weekly pace it sells in Japan, it's a non-entity. It's sold like 3% of what the PSP sold so far.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Louisgod posted:

I think the Vita had a "strong" (see: somethink like 50k in the states) month last month due to the Borderlands 2 bundle but outside that and the meager 15-20k weekly pace it sells in Japan, it's a non-entity. It's sold like 3% of what the PSP sold so far.

It's definitely stone-dead in Australia. In EB Games (Gamestop) and JB Hi-Fi (Best Buy, I think?) they barely have a fraction of a single shelf, usually about 10-20 games at most.

greatn posted:

The FTC is cracking down on Amazon for kids being able to make in app purchases without their parents permission and it looks like Google is next in the cross hairs. I wonder if greater consumer awareness of this issue, combined with these companies having to make changes to purchases, could significantly impact the mobile gaming business model and bolster Nintendo and Sony handhelds.

Greater consumer awareness with anything electronic or digital is a myth greater than Bigfoot. People have reported sightings, but no-one will ever believe them.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

The Milkman posted:

It's actually selling decently now because of said indie games

No one is buying a Vita to play Thomas Was Alone.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Back in March the Wii U had sold some 6.5 million consoles.

The PS4 had 9 million and the Xbox One was at about 5 million. Two months later Mario Kart 8 came out which article after article has said boosted Wii U sales dramatically. Not sure what the numbers are but this is not even close to being a failure of a console.

I think part of Nintendo's problem with money running out comes from insisting on producing premium products when a large swath of gamers can't tell or don't care.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Nolgthorn posted:

Back in March the Wii U had sold some 6.5 million consoles.

The PS4 had 9 million and the Xbox One was at about 5 million. Two months later Mario Kart 8 came out which article after article has said boosted Wii U sales dramatically. Not sure what the numbers are but this is not even close to being a failure of a console.

It's important to remember that the Wii U launched a year before the PS4 and XBox One. The Wii U was at 6.5 million after a year and a half, whereas the PS4 topped 9 million after six months.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

greatn posted:

The FTC is cracking down on Amazon for kids being able to make in app purchases without their parents permission and it looks like Google is next in the cross hairs. I wonder if greater consumer awareness of this issue, combined with these companies having to make changes to purchases, could significantly impact the mobile gaming business model and bolster Nintendo and Sony handhelds.
How would any company (or the FTC) be able to tell who authorized the purchase? This essentially amounts to adding a password check to IAP which I think already is the case, and the kid can just ask for the password.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Sarchasm posted:

It's important to remember that the Wii U launched a year before the PS4 and XBox One. The Wii U was at 6.5 million after a year and a half, whereas the PS4 topped 9 million after six months.

I was aware of this - wrongly thought that after the initial rush sales drop off so I didn't think it mattered. Last generation sold 80 million of each, 360s and PS3s and 100 million Wiis so I suppose there is still a way to go.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

A console's second year tends to be better than it's first year, so PS4's second and best year will be up against Wii U's comparatively worse third year. So PS4's 9m vs the Wii U's 3m sales at 6 months means the PS4 could well outsell the Wii U 4:1 next year. Or not.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Wii U is strong and good.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I like video games and the Wii U plays video games therefore I like the Wii U.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kaubocks posted:

I like video games

:frogout:

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Kaubocks posted:

I like video games

:getin:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Put an end to Video Game Shaming. :911:

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

JordanKai posted:

Put an end to Video Game Shaming. :911:
Videogames, a shameful hobby.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

JordanKai posted:

Put an end to Video Games :911:

all the terribles

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Which WiiU thread is this? They are blending together now.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
There has always been only one WiiU thread, they were simply located in two places. Now Wii are U. All hail WiiU.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The Wii U is, and always has been, gaming's ambrosia.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
*max headroom appears in the Wii U tablet*

*sighs and walks off screen*

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
The Zelda megathread is even worse.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

mabels big day posted:

The Wii U is, and always has been, gaming's ambrosia.

Except Mario 3D World because shame on the people who play that

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Obvious solution here was to swap thread titles.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

There was too much positivity going on in the other thread and it died. Congratulations Nintendo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

Except Mario 3D World because shame on the people who play that
The shame is from knowing that they're not worthy of playing such a phenomenal platforming masterpiece.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So is this the thread to post spergy sales charts now? Just for future reference.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Patter Song posted:

So is this the thread to post spergy sales charts now? Just for future reference.

I'm sure there are at least one or two posters that will still post sales charts like people give a poo poo, at least until they're allowed back into NeoGAF I guess.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

I genuinely feel like I missed something. Why is everyone angry? I don't even see anything on this page that feels particularly inflammatory or out of place, people just got angered up all of a sudden.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Video games make people angry.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Sarchasm posted:

I genuinely feel like I missed something. Why is everyone angry? I don't even see anything on this page that feels particularly inflammatory or out of place, people just got angered up all of a sudden.

EVO weekend.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sarchasm posted:

I made the mistake of pondering aloud if the FTC thing against mobile game in app purchases would affect the handheld market, I think it devolved from there.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Sarchasm posted:

For me it's that I don't have a credit card right now so in order to buy some stuff on the ePlay store I needed to get one of those eShop gift cards but it has an unusual valuation on it and I'm a couple bucks short of getting things I want.

So I'll have to go without until I buy another gift card and then I'll probably have too much.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Sarchasm posted:

If the other thread genuinely died off and all those posters came back here that could be why, because generally those kinds of posts were relegated there.

But anyways, since the Wii U is Nintendo's first HD system, how do people feel about HD remakes? I think Wind Waker HD was well done, and people have mentioned wanting to see Mario Galaxy remakes. Personally I think Metroid Prime would be a prime candidate. Wind Waker HD had more than just a graphical overhaul though, there were gameplay additions that really improved the game. If Nintendo did do more HD remakes, which games could really benefit from changes like that?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Odama x Geist HD Remix.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would honestly rather just see HD ports than full-fledged remakes so they can get more out and faster. Maybe they feel like they can't do that for Gamecube titles, because the visuals are outdated, but it seems like they could do it for Wii titles, just leave the visuals as they are but render them at a higher resolution like Dolphin does.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I really really want HD versions of the Metroid Primes and Mario Galaxies. Xenoblade'd be cool too.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Sarchasm posted:

FFA shitposting for those not cool enough to shitpost it up in Imp Zone.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

A Sometimes Food posted:

I really really want HD versions of the Metroid Primes and Mario Galaxies. Xenoblade'd be cool too.

Realtalk an HD Galaxies rerelease would actually convince me to buy a Wii U.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Xenoblade'd be cool too.

I heard rumors that people who ran the game through Dolphin claim the game's native resolution that it renders at is actually 720p.

Slur fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but I can almost guarantee you that the game does not actually render at 720p and downscale when outputting on a real Wii.

• Locked thread