Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

quote:

It being a Disney show, the sexual aspects aren't alluded to or referenced

Look guys, just because there is literally no evidence for something happening doesn't mean I can't post that it totally happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Keromaru5 posted:

TV Tropes is what happens when you cathect the wrong things, and cathect them way too much.

I believe there's already a word for that: obsession. If these people actually invested meaning and importance into their objections of obsession, they'd probably realize just how much they're twisting it to suit their own needs and egos.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

kazil posted:

Look guys, just because there is literally no evidence for something happening doesn't mean I can't post that it totally happened.
You don't understand, they're not bothered about switching bodies! Except I've seen that episode and they clearly are...?

Memetic Molester posted:

A specific type of Memetic Mutation, like the Memetic Badass but far, far worse for the character's reputation. Maybe the character has a habit of making unsettling facial expressions. It could be that those vibes of suspicion are coming from their preferred choice of company or method of blackmail. Perhaps their name, weaponry, or design is a bit... suggestive of something. For whatever reason, the Fanon hivemind will characterize this character as a rapist for the lulz.
Okay, that's horrible, what kind of characters get this? I see there's a few examples for Harry Potter, because of course there are.

quote:

Fenrir Greyback's obsession with kids (his tendency to bite them, which turns them into werewolves, and then kidnaps them and raise them to hate normal wizards) has been interpreted by a lot of the fandom as pedophilia. His remark about Hermione — to Ron, when she was about to be tortured, in Deathly Hallows — ("Reckon Bellatrix'll let me have a bit of the girl when she's finished with her?") only adds to the rapist vibe.
So, characters who give off rapey vibes in the work? That's not funny in any way, but at least it makes some sens--

quote:

Young Tom Riddle seems a heck of a lot like an internet predator. He meets Ginny through a medium (not face to face), gains her trust and eventually starts manipulating her, and then convinces her to meet him in person, leaving her traumatized and drained. Tom also kind of seduced the much older Horace Slughorn. There were also those two younger kids whom he led to a cave while on a field trip. According to the owner of the orphanage they didn't seem to be physically hurt, but they were "never quite the same" after whatever it was that happened in there...

quote:

On that note, many found Horace Slughorn's fondness for "collecting" children, particularly teenaged boys, a bit suspect.

quote:

What about Lockhart? A school full of girls drooling over him, and his talent with Memory Charms...
Never mind, charm obviously equals rape, and being around teenagers also equals rape.

Homestuck has a lot of Internet fans too, I wonder which of its characters are secret rapists.

quote:

The fandom gave this treatment to sober!Gamzee. The rapefics were already hitting the web just a few days after his Face-Heel Turn. More recently, he's also become something of a Memetic Molestee, due to his genetic connections to even scarier people (see Hivefled) and a canonical Mind Rape at Aranea's hands.
Mind control equals rape.

quote:

Doc Scratch seems to be going this way too, due to his interactions with Rose and Jade. The revelation that he is part Cal probably helped... This has persisted even after the revelation that he is not anatomically correct. It then gets even worse in the 08/07/11 updates. Apparently 1. he's been keeping Aradia's ancestor the Handmaid locked up in his apartment, 2. she's lost her furniture privileges before, 3. she does not want to be there 4. she's been raised by Doc Scratch her whole life.
Locking up a teenager and taking away her furniture equals rape.

quote:

The Condesce also gets this treatment, possibly for kidnapping Roxy.
Just kidnapping a teenager also equals rape.

quote:

Terezi also gets this treatment in some fanart due to her habit of licking things, since after going blind she learned how to taste colors.
Licking things equals rape?

I think TV Tropes' rape fixation is bottomless.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Kim is pansexual.

She can do anything. Enough said.

You gotta wonder what else she's been asked do to... a teenage girl with that as a website slogan? What would you expect?

Right, right, this definitely refers to sexual actions and not literally *anything* as is the typical use of the word. (Yadda yadda tropers don't know typical uses of words because they never interact with anyone who isn't a troper)

This reminds me of when we were in third or fourth grade, no one really knew what sex was but we found out that to "do" someone meant to have sex with them, so there was a period of time where you had to avoid using the word "do" or else everyone else would start screaming and laughing that you were talking about sex. The same also happened with the word "ball." It made giving instructions pretty difficult.

Tropers- as intellectually clingy and determined as eight year olds looking for excuses to laugh at something inappropriate

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

watho posted:

Has anyone actually managed to do the trapped in an MMO bit well?
The Matrix.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

I was gonna say, it's best to just rewatch this movie instead of looking for what is sure to be lovely anime.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ninjasaurus posted:

I was gonna say, it's best to just rewatch this movie instead of looking for what is sure to be lovely anime.

Thankfully, we live in a world where you don't have to pick between watching the Matrix or some lovely anime.

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Wanamingo posted:

Thankfully, we live in a world where you don't have to pick between watching the Matrix or some lovely anime.

I forgot about that.

A few of those shorts were decent, though.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Wanamingo posted:

That one with the kids playing in a glitchy house owned.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

watho posted:

Follow up question, where the hell do I begin with .hack? I'm legitimately intrigued but I was lost as hell when I tried to watch one of the series.

Well, you could start with Sign. I think it's good, but, as mentioned, it does move a bit slowly. So, alternately, you could start with the original four-game series (.hack//Infection, .hack//Mutation, .hack//Outbreak, and .hack//Quarantine).

Wanamingo posted:

Animatrix owned and I will not hear anything to the contrary. :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's weird how the whole "trapped in a video game/mmo" plot seems to only happen in children's television and anime.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, bits of the Animatrix are the best drat thing to come out of the whole franchise.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

Yeah, bits of the Animatrix are the best drat thing to come out of the whole franchise.

That and the one Matrix videogame where the Wachowski brothers pop up onscreen during the final boss to explain to the player that they couldn't figure out how to make good final boss.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kay Kessler posted:

That and the one Matrix videogame where the Wachowski brothers pop up onscreen during the final boss to explain to the player that they couldn't figure out how to make good final boss.

Well, not with the original concept. They admitted that for a climatic end to a video game the ending from the third movie just wouldn't work. Thus they changed it to be more :black101: and gameplay friendly.

Also, the Wachowskis are represented as Atari characters.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's weird how the whole "trapped in a video game/mmo" plot seems to only happen in children's television and anime.

What are you talking about? They are clearly very adult and mature shows that are clearly not for children and-:tvtropes:

watho fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 12, 2014

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

There are many appropriate words for a person like that. "Jerk rear end" isn't one of them. Stop making the English language sad.

Not to defend the site and all that it stands for, but TVTropes didn't come up with "Jerk rear end." It was first used on the episode of The Simpsons where Homer forces the family to join the Movementarian cult (there were two scenes of Homer yelling, "Outta my way, jerk rear end!"). The Simpsons fans who saw that the show writers were making Homer more of an rear end in a top hat in the episodes under Mike Scully's reign as showrunner (from season nine to around season 13, since there were some season 12 episodes that aired as leftovers during that season when Al Jean was named the new showrunner) started referring to him as "Jerk rear end Homer."

The boiled-down version: Blame The Simpsons and its fans for creating/keeping that word alive.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Penny Paper posted:

Not to defend the site and all that it stands for, but TVTropes didn't come up with "Jerk rear end." It was first used on the episode of The Simpsons where Homer forces the family to join the Movementarian cult (there were two scenes of Homer yelling, "Outta my way, jerk rear end!"). The Simpsons fans who saw that the show writers were making Homer more of an rear end in a top hat in the episodes under Mike Scully's reign as showrunner (from season nine to around season 13, since there were some season 12 episodes that aired as leftovers during that season when Al Jean was named the new showrunner) started referring to him as "Jerk rear end Homer."

The boiled-down version: Blame The Simpsons and its fans for creating/keeping that word alive.
:spergin:

I think his comment was more about how it was an inappropriately mild term for a man who abuses his daughter and needlessly trying to take two children off life support. And also Tropers' burning need to shoehorn trope names into everything possible.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

From the Forrest Gump Fridge page:

quote:

On the subject of Vietnam, I realized later that the flag hanging on Lt. Dan's latrine in the scene when Forrest and Bubba arrive is a Viet Cong flag. Three guesses what they use for toilet paper when they run out of the usual stuff.
Which is all very well and good, except this was placed under the "Fridge Horror" heading (tl;dr: you're thinking after watching some show and realize an aspect of said show has horrifying implications...theoretically, anyway). Since it it so horrifying, the thought of someone using a flag as toilet paper.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Hammurabi posted:

Well, you could start with Sign. I think it's good, but, as mentioned, it does move a bit slowly. So, alternately, you could start with the original four-game series (.hack//Infection, .hack//Mutation, .hack//Outbreak, and .hack//Quarantine).

Animatrix owned and I will not hear anything to the contrary. :colbert:

My favourite was the part where they trick machines to fall in love with them.

.Hack//Sign was a bit slow yeah. Makes up for it with a sublime soundtrack.
Except for the opening theme which has good music but whose lovely Japanese-trying-to-write-english lyrics are just loving hysterical

the direction of relieving...

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Penny Paper posted:

That episode was hilarious.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

Stroop There It Is posted:

I think his comment was more about how it was an inappropriately mild term for a man who abuses his daughter and needlessly trying to take two children off life support. And also Tropers' burning need to shoehorn trope names into everything possible.

Oh. Then I'm sorry for that. :blush:

And Tropers aren't entirely blameless for using "Jerk rear end," since they count as fans of the show as well (when they're not fans of half of the BS no sane human being would waste his or her time with or only see it as entertainment and leave it at that). Have you seen the pages for the show? And, what's worse, they seem to me to be the only people (besides the blog "Dead Homer's Society") who actually care about the later episodes of the show, while everyone else pretty much stopped watching between 1999 and 2001.

Penny Paper fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 12, 2014

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

Penny Paper posted:

Oh. Then I'm sorry for that. :blush:

And Tropers aren't entirely blameless for using "Jerk rear end," since they count as fans of the show as well (when they're not fans of half of the BS no sane human being would waste his or her time with or only see it as entertainment and leave it at that). Have you seen the pages for the show? And, what's worse, they seem to me to be the only people (besides the blog "Dead Homer's Society") who actually care about the later episodes of the show, while everyone else pretty much stopped watching between 1999 and 2001.

The later seasons give them more tropes to catalog.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

like that D&D cartoon where they were on the rollercoaster

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I still like the treehouse horror stories. Even the newer ones I found to be enjoyable. Still no gonna check that on TvTropes. You may have ruined the Simpsons for me but not on this, I draw the line.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The 90's cult classic The Matrix subverts this trope by having the main characters be the only ones who are not stuck in the virtual world.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

watho posted:

The 90's cult classic The Matrix subverts this trope by having the main characters be the only ones who are not stuck in the virtual world.

[Keanu]whoa[/Keanu]

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Let's see what TVTropes thinks about the long-running Planet Of The Apes franchise:

quote:

Science Marches On: the film makes it clear that Ape society is composed of all (non-Human) apes: chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans. Back when the film was made, bonobos were thought to be chimpanzees, but nowadays they're known to be a separate species.
This leads to some Fridge Horror: if bonobos are not present at all, it means they all died at some point (How? By whom?); on the other hand, if they're still around, given that we don't see them in the movies and the most notorious aspect of their society, it's not unreasonable to assume they are sex slaves, imprisoned in the homes of the other apes.

"Because science didn't know better in the 70s, we must assume that either genocide or systemic race-based slavery is going on."

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

MisterBibs posted:

Let's see what TVTropes thinks about the long-running Planet Of The Apes franchise:

"Because science didn't know better in the 70s, we must assume that either genocide or systemic race-based slavery is going on."

TvTropes: it's not unreasonable to assume they are sex slaves

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

After the hilarious spectacle that was Dashcon, I can't help but wonder if Tropers every tried to do a big meet up.

The results could only be amazing :allears:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tiberius Thyben posted:

TvTropes: it's not unreasonable to assume they are sex slaves

TvTropes: Everything Is A Sexual Subversion

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Imagine how insufferable their convention schedule would look!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Samurai Quack posted:

After the hilarious spectacle that was Dashcon, I can't help but wonder if Tropers every tried to do a big meet up.

The results could only be amazing :allears:

Despite TvTropes thinking they are one of the most frequented sites on the internet, just how many people do you think actually go on their forums? Too many, obviously, but not enough to make a convention happen. Though if they did, and literally only Fast Eddie showed up, that would be hilarious.

We need more of those lovely tablet drawings of Eddie as a madman with a sledgehammer beating down the pedophile defenders. Those made my day in the last thread.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Anticheese posted:

Imagine how insufferable their convention schedule would look!

When the only topic is sex?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Khazar-khum posted:

When the only topic is sex?

I would pay so much just to see their disgusted faces when they actually talk about their fetishes face to face.

Hammurabi
Nov 4, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

it's not unreasonable to assume they are sex slaves, imprisoned in the homes of the other apes.

Haha, of course! It's so obvious! Everything is about sexual slavery unless otherwise noted! Why, that's just common sense! Thank you, hentai! You always make everything so clear! :suicide:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Annointed posted:

I would pay so much just to see their disgusted faces when they actually talk about their fetishes face to face.

I dunno, maybe they'd actually try to go through with what they're saying? :gooncamp: wouldn't even begin to scratch the tip of the iceberg then.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Dashcon?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Don Gato posted:

I dunno, maybe they'd actually try to go through with what they're saying? :gooncamp: wouldn't even begin to scratch the tip of the iceberg then.

Then they are more ballsy than I imagined. At least we can't say that they're virgins anymore :v:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

the "Tumblr" convention. It's as dumb as it sounds.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650030&pagenumber=5&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think at the very least they've had a meet-up before a-la GoonCon. I think I remember pics in one of the earliest threads.

• Locked thread