Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
RE: Chihayafuru discussion on the previous page.

I gave it up after 3 episodes the first time I tried it and couldn't see the point and I've got a low tolerance for school-based stuff.

Fortunately I tried it again, and I think Chihayafuru grabbed me when I realised it's actually a singleminded, hardcore sport story. I think of it in terms of Giant Killing and Rock'n'Roll Ricky rather than other shoujo stuff. There is romance but it'll always be secondary to becoming the Very Best, at least in Chihaya's mind.

In shoujo/josei news I've been reading Futago and enjoying it a lot. The art is good and the characters are fairly well-drawn. Yukari, the protagonist, is relatable and kind of refreshing. Perhaps because, so far, she seems mature and capable.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fragments of Love chapter 11 came out last month and I missed it. I still really like it but the drat chapters are too short for such a drawn out release schedule.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Another Taiyou no Ie sidestory chapter just got translated.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Two new* chapters of Nozaki-kun just came out. I suppose this is the best place for it.

*They're older chapters that were skipped over originally, so I guess not technically new.

Nozaki is the worst mangaka ever :allears:

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 7, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
And to follow up on that, some more chapters of Nozaki-kun were released!

42 isn't loading for me right now, but 43 is a Seo and Wakamatsu chapter. The best characters :allears: Poor Mikoshiba, I guess it's his fate to forever be the third wheel...

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nondevor posted:

42 isn't loading for me right now, but 43 is a Seo and Wakamatsu chapter. The best characters :allears: Poor Mikoshiba, I guess it's his fate to forever be the third wheel...

Oh my god, Mikoshiba is the best.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Nondevor posted:

Seo is really one of the best characters I've ever seen in a manga

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xyven posted:

Seo is really one of the best characters I've ever seen in a manga

I can't help but link this one from the current chapter. She seriously is the best.

Also god drat Nozaki is bad at his job. He only didn't use a terribly stupid scenario because he just barely managed to remember that they don't even ride the train. :doh:

Edit: The other chapter is loading now, and Kashima and Hori are also making a strong case for being the best.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jul 9, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

chumbler posted:

Edit: The other chapter is loading now, and Kashima and Hori are also making a strong case for being the best.

Can we all just agree that every single character in this manga is The Best Character? Because that's the truth. Well, except for Maeno. He's the true villain.

Man, I can't believe that this shares the same author with Oresama Teacher! Both are great but Nozaki-kun is just so much better in terms of characters.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Nondevor posted:

Can we all just agree that every single character in this manga is The Best Character? Because that's the truth. Well, except for Maeno. He's the true villain.

Man, I can't believe that this shares the same author with Oresama Teacher! Both are great but Nozaki-kun is just so much better in terms of characters.

I agree. Oresama Teacher is only ok to me and I only remember the main character while the guys weren't as memorable. In Nozaki-kun, I remember everyone.

I also remember the author having an earlier series which was basically a shoujo about high school masseurs with a lot of contrived shoujo stuff in between. The way Nozaki-kun pokes fun at the shoujo genre makes a lot more sense if you think about it in that context. (I'm probably just reaching though.)

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Seo and Waka antics will never get old.

I seriously cannot wait for Seo's appearance in the anime next week

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
With the anime starting I tried to read Nozaki and just couldn't get it to click. Maybe it was the translation? Sometimes the dialogue just seemed to flow so weird. Like I really have no idea what the whole "briefs" chapter was on about.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Nate RFB posted:

With the anime starting I tried to read Nozaki and just couldn't get it to click. Maybe it was the translation? Sometimes the dialogue just seemed to flow so weird. Like I really have no idea what the whole "briefs" chapter was on about.

I'm with you, I never got far with it because of the translation.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah the translation is super bad at first. A better group picks it up later, thankfully.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I'd try and go read a little further if I were you. The translation early on is wonky, sure, but I think the gags and jokes get sharper deliveries the more you get to know the characters. It's worth it, really!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Compendium posted:

I'd try and go read a little further if I were you. The translation early on is wonky, sure, but I think the gags and jokes get sharper deliveries the more you get to know the characters. It's worth it, really!

Yeah it takes a bit for the male characters in particular to better distinguish themselves even ignoring the poor translation early, which can make it tough to get into, but their personalities are eventually developed well.

For people who are still on the fence about it, I'd recommend reading the chapter (don't remember which, but I want to say 25) where the guys all play an otome game. It doesn't spoil anything and is hilarious.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

chumbler posted:

For people who are still on the fence about it, I'd recommend reading the chapter (don't remember which, but I want to say 25) where the guys all play an otome game. It doesn't spoil anything and is hilarious.
Not sure if this is the one you're thinking of but they played some sort of dating game in chapter 8 and was actually the chapter where I finally went "I don't think this is actually in English :confused:"

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The otome gaming chapter is 32. Catch ALL the cute boys. :)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

Not sure if this is the one you're thinking of but they played some sort of dating game in chapter 8 and was actually the chapter where I finally went "I don't think this is actually in English :confused:"

I agree that the translations were a bit stilted and overly simple, but that's really tame. That page is pretty coherent and straight compared to the general quality of scanlations and especially for shoujo, which can get drat near incomprehensible with thought bubbles, ~*deep*~ reflections and panel layout all over the frigging place.

Unless you're reading it from left to right, i can't imagine what could trip you up. The transition from 3rd to 4th panel? It does "show, don't tell" and lets you infer the joke (Dude becomes nerd) at the expense of an abrupt transition and relies on the fact that the reader remembers from a page ago that this is taking place in a conversation with someone.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Compendium posted:

I agree. Oresama Teacher is only ok to me and I only remember the main character while the guys weren't as memorable. In Nozaki-kun, I remember everyone.

Oresama Teacher really suffers from having a mediocre plot in between the jokes. I think the writer is pretty great with the humor in both but the fact that Nozaki has no meaningful story is really to its benefit.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

HenryEx posted:

I agree that the translations were a bit stilted and overly simple, but that's really tame. That page is pretty coherent and straight compared to the general quality of scanlations and especially for shoujo, which can get drat near incomprehensible with thought bubbles, ~*deep*~ reflections and panel layout all over the frigging place.

Unless you're reading it from left to right, i can't imagine what could trip you up. The transition from 3rd to 4th panel? It does "show, don't tell" and lets you infer the joke (Dude becomes nerd) at the expense of an abrupt transition and relies on the fact that the reader remembers from a page ago that this is taking place in a conversation with someone.

Translation and flow is way more important in comedy I think

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Gils posted:

Oresama Teacher really suffers from having a mediocre plot in between the jokes. I think the writer is pretty great with the humor in both but the fact that Nozaki has no meaningful story is really to its benefit.

I feel like the character pairings in Nozaki tend to have more chemistry than I remember from Oresama Teacher. (I haven't read that one in a while, though.) Nozaki is basically at its best when it's just two of the characters bouncing off each other because I really can't think of a bad combination of characters for that in it.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Only thing inferior about Nozaki compared to Oresama is the lack of goofy bunny masks. Other than that, it's pretty much better, though I still like Oresama (it helps I have an inexplicable soft spot for anything involving delinquents, especially delinquent heroines).

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HenryEx posted:

It makes sense! Well, mostly. It just isn't really humorous because it reads so awkwardly. "Isn't it further from reality? This." Is that really the only way the punchline could have been delivered? I just wasn't feeling the comic, and while I suspected it was the translation that was more or less just me speculating. And it seems like indeed it will get better later on. Maybe a good alternative would be to watch the anime and then pick up the manga where it leaves off?

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

It makes sense! Well, mostly. It just isn't really humorous because it reads so awkwardly. "Isn't it further from reality? This." Is that really the only way the punchline could have been delivered? I just wasn't feeling the comic, and while I suspected it was the translation that was more or less just me speculating. And it seems like indeed it will get better later on. Maybe a good alternative would be to watch the anime and then pick up the manga where it leaves off?

A different group starts doing the translations with chapter 13 so you can try reading from there.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm guessing they got their hands on a bunch of raws somehow, because we've yet another chapter of Nozaki-kun.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Cake Attack posted:

I'm guessing they got their hands on a bunch of raws somehow, because we've yet another chapter of Nozaki-kun.

The scanlators said on their site that they're going to be releasing chapters of Nozaki-kun daily. Get hype!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Will Chiyo ever be able to capture Nozaki's heart from Ken-san?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

Will Chiyo ever be able to capture Nozaki's heart from Ken-san?

maybe if ken ends up sleeping with the fishes.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Oh my god nozaki kun is amazing. Thank you anime for introducing me to this manga. I haven't laughed obnoxiously out loud at anything in a long time.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah I had the same reaction to Nozaki when I first read it. The humor just clicks with me

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Nozaki tries to make fun of shoujo manga on two different levels and succeeds admirably.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I think the best part about Nozaki-kun is how their own in-universe manga characters, Suzuki, Mamiko, and Tanuki (?!) are kind of part of the cast.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Man I really hope that the anime does well enough for yen press to pick up the manga.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I probably need to see if it's localized in Korean and pick it up if it is

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008
Nozaki chapter 45 is out. This chapter just makes me want the anime to quickly get through the character introductions because this series is at its best when they're all interacting with each other.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Oh holy poo poo Waka you are a dork. And Seo is just hilarious per usual

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Haha, Waka is the best "pet name" ever. I chuckle whenever I read it.

Candy Dawn
Aug 7, 2007

Ponsuke-san!!
Chapter 46 of Nozaki is out. Hahaha Oh my god it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Candy Dawn posted:

Chapter 46 of Nozaki is out. Hahaha Oh my god it's awesome.

This is beginning to remind me of daily lives of high school boys for some reason.