Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Serious Frolicking posted:

What was that manga about a gay couple with a lot of cooking in it? It was good.

Sounds like Kinou Nani Tabeta?

Don't remember if it was mentioned previously in the thread, so here's a recommendation.
It's a very chill series about these two guys, Shiro, a lawyer, and Kenji, a hairdresser.
I quite like it, it's somehow very refreshing to see like, just an ordinary middle aged gay couple cooking and doing daily life stuff.
Every chapter features Shiro (and occasionally someone else) walking the reader through the preparation of a recipe or meal, so it feels a little like a cooking show sometimes.

The title means "What did you eat yesterday?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
Komori Quintet!

It's kind of like K-ON, except it's about a music club.

coathat
May 21, 2007

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Sounds like Kinou Nani Tabeta?

Don't remember if it was mentioned previously in the thread, so here's a recommendation.
It's a very chill series about these two guys, Shiro, a lawyer, and Kenji, a hairdresser.
I quite like it, it's somehow very refreshing to see like, just an ordinary middle aged gay couple cooking and doing daily life stuff.
Every chapter features Shiro (and occasionally someone else) walking the reader through the preparation of a recipe or meal, so it feels a little like a cooking show sometimes.

The title means "What did you eat yesterday?"

It's actually been licensed. http://www.amazon.com/What-Did-You-Yesterday-Volume/dp/1939130387

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Well poo poo. This is the only BL/yaoi/whatever manga I've ever enjoyed, I'll have to pick at least a volume or two up.

I'll go ahead and echo Panic!'s request: are there any other decent ones?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I just caught up on the new work by Tomoko Ninomiya, author of Nodame Cantabile.

The main character is a violin student in his final year of music school who is drifting, uncertain of what he wants to do in life, and with no job prospects. One night on his way home from school, he happens upon a beautiful girl standing outside her apartment barefoot in the snow.

I'm sure you can figure out where this is going...

That's right...

COMPETITIVE EXTREME PC OVERCLOCKING!!!

87 Clockers

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nipponophile posted:

I just caught up on the new work by Tomoko Ninomiya, author of Nodame Cantabile.

The main character is a violin student in his final year of music school who is drifting, uncertain of what he wants to do in life, and with no job prospects. One night on his way home from school, he happens upon a beautiful girl standing outside her apartment barefoot in the snow.

I'm sure you can figure out where this is going...

That's right...

87 Clockers

You better not be throwing me for a loop here, this better actually be about hardcore PC hardware maximizing

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I don't see a pot for liquid nitrogen, not hardcore enough. :colbert:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
You two haven't even looked at the comic, obviously.

Nipponophile fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 10, 2014

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

87 Clockers

That is so not the best pic. This one has it all. Catfood, udon, liquid nitrogen...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Not enough chapters. And are tournaments competing to see who can play Crysis with the highest framerate really a thing?

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Clarste posted:

Not enough chapters. And are tournaments competing to see who can play Crysis with the highest framerate really a thing?

Over-clocking tournaments certainly are a thing. Crysis might be a bit outdated (I am not too sure, I dont really follow the overclocking scene) but a few years ago it certainly was used as a dickwaving benchmark tool.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

You two haven't even looked at the comic, obviously.

Raskolnikov posted:

That is so not the best pic. This one has it all. Catfood, udon, liquid nitrogen...

This is the dumbest, most magically incomprehensible idea for a manga ever.

I wish Intel would send me that replacement CPU soon because I feel the need to bench(mark).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
God, I love stuff like this. Like, weird stuff that makes you go 'oh, Japan' is one thing, but when I come across a manga about EXTREME OVERCLOCKING or HIGH-STAKES BANK AUDITS, I can't help but fall in love.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
87 Clockers is cool, I mean I rolled my eyes at the video game tournament but it's so perfect that the guy essentially throws away the violin and gets hardcore into a weird scene because he saw a cute girl crying.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

So I have been reading Gantz up til the Osaka arc and I am really digging the art and action. Any thoughts on the anime or the movies? Are they worth checking out?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Miguel Prado posted:

So I have been reading Gantz up til the Osaka arc and I am really digging the art and action. Any thoughts on the anime or the movies? Are they worth checking out?

Let me do you a favor.

Stop now and just enjoy it as a good manga.

(the anime started out cool, finished meh, never watched the movies).

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Miguel Prado posted:

Yea, shits about to get really loving weird. I mean it's weird to begin with but after Osaka it just...really doesn't fit anywhere with the storyline or progression to that point. Then right at the end they try to make it work by spoon feeding it to you with a dump truck.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gantz is the worst thing I have ever been tricked into reading more than a chapter of and I am totally baffled by it's popularity.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
What's with people thinking you're supposed to read Gantz with your brain on?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's a lot of tits and violence.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Gantz is the worst thing I have ever been tricked into reading more than a chapter of and I am totally baffled by it's popularity.

I wish I could empty quote this but instead I will add that Tenjou Tenge is a serious contender for this prestigious distinction.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

AnonSpore posted:

I wish I could empty quote this but instead I will add that Tenjou Tenge is a serious contender for this prestigious distinction.

This, or that author's other famous work, Air Gear.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

resurgam40 posted:

This, or that author's other famous work, Air Gear.

At least early Air Gear was really entertaining until it went down the "fate of the world rests on a bunch of mentally unstable kids with super roller skates" route.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hey now, Air Gear is awesome :colbert:

As long as you read it expecting nothing else than a dumb shonen. It has amazing fight scenes, anyway.

Speaking of which, Air Gear!

It's amazingly well-drawn, and amazingly dumb. And I love it.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 11, 2014

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Sometime I wish the author who drawn Air Gear would go design monsters for Yugioh because all those monster-persona things are amazing.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nyaa posted:

Sometime I wish the author who drawn Air Gear would go design monsters for Yugioh because all those monster-persona things are amazing.

Nah man, what needs to happen is O!Great needs to partner up with a really good writer and then collaborate the greatest shounen manga ever.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Gantz is basically the modern follow up to the works of Yoshiaki Kawajiri.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ccs posted:

There's a lot of tits

Isn't Gantz about little kids?

From what I do remember the premises was one that interested me but the manga itself sucks.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Anatharon posted:

Isn't Gantz about little kids?

From what I do remember the premises was one that interested me but the manga itself sucks.

No, you're probably thinking of Narutaru, which has a vaguely similar premise but is very, very different. And much better than Gantz. It's about a bunch of kids that get transported to a mysterious island and have to pilot a giant robot to protect humanity.

Gantz is about people about to commit suicide who are transported to a mysterious apartment and forced to take missions killing aliens because reasons. Reasons that are revealed very late in the manga and are just incredibly dumb. It has lots of T&A and the genre changes a couple times when the author gets bored.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Miguel Prado posted:

I only watched the first couple of episodes of the anime and it was alright. The movie is terrible. It is absolutely infuriating how often the characters will stand there watching a monster beat their friend to death, then act all sad about it. Like literally standing 10 feet away with a gun doing nothing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Begemot posted:

No, you're probably thinking of Narutaru, which has a vaguely similar premise but is very, very different. And much better than Gantz. It's about a bunch of kids that get transported to a mysterious island and have to pilot a giant robot to protect humanity.
That's Bokurano. Narutaru is the one where some kids get shapeshifting alien friends and then horribly murder people with them. Same author though.

I'd recommend Bokurano, Narutaru not so much.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 12, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Narutaru's decent but not worth reading since Bokurano is more or less the same story but much much better written, the art is a lot better (it is really hard to tell some characters apart in Narutaru), and it's a lot less of a pain to find read (it's jarring from going from the first half which is an official localization by Dark Horse, then the second half which is a scanlation). It's also a lot less nihilistic; they're both pretty bleak but Bokurano definitely strives to give a positive theme, ultimately. Although one amazing thing comes from the Narutaru anime OP which simultaneously is really cutesy and references some of the horrible poo poo that happens later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIF5BLyh3Mk

To stay somewhat on topic, have an image from Bokurano.

In case the image doesn't make it clear, they're standing on top of a 100 foot robot.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Genocyber posted:

To stay somewhat on topic, have an image from Bokurano.

In case the image doesn't make it clear, they're standing on top of a 100 foot robot.
The first time I read this, I really thought he had accidentally pushed his friend.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Genocyber posted:

Actually it's 500 METERS, not that it makes it any better though. It actually makes it a lot worse! :v:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Begemot posted:

Gantz is about people about to commit suicide who are transported to a mysterious apartment and forced to take missions killing aliens because reasons. Reasons that are revealed very late in the manga and are just incredibly dumb. It has lots of T&A and the genre changes a couple times when the author gets bored.

Could also be thinking of Gad Guard, which is not even vaguely similar to Gantz but I used to get their names mixed up due to both starting with Gs.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Air Gear: Having read like all of it, I can tell you that it is a stupid, formulaic manga that loses its poo poo about 60 chapters in. The actual MacGuffin that the manga is named after comes in at like chapter 280. There is a love triangle. If I ever have to do a lecture about love triangles, Air Gear is my exhibit A on how not to do them.
The fights are hella cool, but they get predictable very, very quickly. Are the heroes winning as the chapter ends? They will be losing next chapter. Are the heroes losing? They will suddenly pull out a special ability they never discussed before! Furthermore, the author has an awful loving habit of making the readers suffer through the back stories of minor villains. One of those backstories explains why one cross-dresses as a girl who's into abusing his manservant/partner. It is as awful as it is inconsequential.

Oh and the manga in general is just extremely stupid and fanservicy, but honestly it works despite itself and you just kinda learn to go with it. Turning your brain off is a requirement if you want to try to enjoy this.

If you are going to read it, get to the part where they win the first Regalia and then stop. That's the point where Air Gear stops being enjoyable. It's AAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL downhill from there.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jul 21, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SSNeoman posted:

Air Gear: Having read like all of it, I can tell you that it is a stupid, formulaic manga that loses its poo poo about 60 chapters in. The actual MacGuffin that the manga is named after comes in at like chapter 280. There is a love triangle. If I ever have to do a lecture about love triangles, Air Gear is my exhibit A on how not to do them.
The fights are hella cool, but they get predictable very, very quickly. Are the heroes winning as the chapter ends? They will be losing next chapter. Are the heroes losing? They will suddenly pull out a special ability they never discussed before! Furthermore, the author has an awful loving habit of making the readers suffer through the back stories of minor villains. One of those backstories explains why one cross-dresses as a girl who's into abusing her manservant/partner. It is as awful as it is inconsequential.

Oh and the manga in general is just extremely stupid and fanservicy, but honestly it works despite itself and you just kinda learn to go with it. Turning your brain off is a requirement if you want to try to enjoy this.

If you are going to read it, get to the part where they win the first Regalia and then stop. That's the point where Air Gear stops being enjoyable. It's AAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL downhill from there.

Don't forget the best part. The final "power-up" consisted of Crow taking the bird out of his hair because he has always held back a ton since the start to avoid hurting the bird. Oh, and the big bad has been using his skates without a power source the entire series (of all the 'gently caress this' bullshit power techniques across all manga this is top 3 worst0, so he plugs in some batteries and suddenly becomes a god, who loses anyways

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Is that the manga where Barack Obama turns himself into a magical girl or am I misremembering

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Is that the manga where Barack Obama turns himself into a magical girl or am I misremembering

He switches bodies with one of the roller-blading girls on the protag's team, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValhallaSmith
Aug 16, 2005
So is there a programming manga? If OCing gets its own.

• Locked thread