Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop

This is glorious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

This is one of my favorite things to come out of the new release. Thanks for animating it!

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Not strictly Dwarf Fortress, but this video was published today and I feel it's appropriately celebratory of the new release. It's not terrifying, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Ah crap, protip for everyone, don't keep your corpse stockpile near your trade depot or the merchants will point at and say "It is terrifying" as the immediately leave. poo poo.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, most of my forts usually lead to all grounds outside of the walls being littered with body parts, bones, and corpses.

Is that going to be an issue?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Moridin920 posted:

Well, most of my forts usually lead to all grounds outside of the walls being littered with body parts, bones, and corpses.

Is that going to be an issue?

I don't know about it being an issue, but it is terrifying.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

just tell them..

it was inevitable

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone been having a problem with constant crashes while traveling in adventure mode? It's pretty much unplayable.

A bunch of those are showing up as fixed for next release http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm really not the best at this game, I don't remember it being this much 'fun'. The last time I really played was before the last 2012 release.

Would it be worth taking a warrior dwarf to protect my other dwarves? I just lost one of my guys to Kakapo Men/Women and it seems to be a running theme with my forts that random people keep showing up.

EDIT: Now a giant mosquito killed another and one of my other dwarves just fell out of a tree breaking his spine. This is kinda amusing.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 12, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Does that mean you can demoralize invaders by routing them through the bonehoard? Because hell yes.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

My killing fields and trap hallways are usually littered with the rotting corpses of my foes. I haven't gotten very far with a fort in the new version but I can tell my mechanics are gonna become jaded as hell.

While playing with my last adventurer, I got fed up with the lack of appreciation the villagers had towards my eradication of the bandit menace. So I gathered up a bunch of corpses, dropped them all in a heap in some random house and watched the inhabitants freak out for a bit.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Reclaiming a lost fort has reopened the option to play as dwarves in adventure mode.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!
Well that ended quickly :stare: I would experiment with bone piles and report but that's on hold for now because a single Weresquirrel child just killed half my fort. It was moving and attacking at roughly four times the speed as any of my dwarves.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
So if I wanted to take a stab at this, do tiles work with the new version?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
In fort mode I think the only things that might be messed up with a tileset would be the trees. In adventure mode there's a bunch of new display elements that might be all weird if the tileset replaces flasks, cages, stairs, or some other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
p sure hpoebus has been updated for 40.x

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Danith posted:

So if I wanted to take a stab at this, do tiles work with the new version?

Phoebus has just updated again to be compatible with 0.40.02.

e: beaten

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

PublicOpinion posted:

Does that mean you can demoralize invaders by routing them through the bonehoard? Because hell yes.

Connect your body parts to a complex system of platforms and pulleys, hiding them underground when traders arrive, and springing them out to scare away invading hordes.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

PublicOpinion posted:

Load up a minecart shotgun with corpses. :getin:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Retiring an adventurer in a retired fort, then unretiring the fort causes a crash. :(

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Load up a minecart shotgun with corpses. :getin:

well I know what my next megaproject is

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
so dwarf fort has become a vlad the impaler simulator, excellent

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Some people are really blase about death.

quote:

Em Nenipibo, Farmer: Death... This cannot horrify me.
Siga Jamasowba, Woodcrafter: Death... This cannot horrify me.
Nifih Buslonilo, Engraver: Gruesome wounds! This doesn't scare me.
Thrut Ustr tekud, Trapper: Death... This cannot horrify me.
Em Nenipibo, Farmer (to Ur Nedorgiki, Miner): Not a half hour ago Bisan Sculptedstorm attacked a crundle in The Dead Swamp.
Siga Jamasowba, Woodcrafter: Death... This cannot horrify me.
You lash The Woodcrafter in the upper body from behind with your bronze whip, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung through the hammerhead shark leather cloak!
The Woodcrafter is having trouble breathing!
Nifih Buslonilo, Engraver: Mimap Exitentered the Closed Portal of Flukes, slayer of Atho Twinefilled. I'm a little angry.
Em Nenipibo, Farmer: Death is all around us. This cannot horrify me.
Molcet Siminjamas, Gem Cutter: Gruesome wounds! This does not scare me.
Ur Nedorgiki, Miner (to Em Nenipibo, Farmer): Not a half hour ago Bisan Sculptedstorm attacked a crundle in The Dead Swamp.
You strike The Woodcrafter in the left eye from behind with the pommel of your copper short sword and the injured part is crushed!
Thrut Ustr tekud, Trapper: How fleeting life is... This doesn't scare me.
Siga Jamasowba, Woodcrafter: How fragile we are... This doesn't scare me.
You punch The Woodcrafter in the upper body from behind with your left hand, bruising the muscle through the hammerhead shark leather cloak!
You grab The Woodcrafter by the first toe, right foot from behind with your bronze whip!
Em Nenipibo, Farmer (to Ur Nedorgiki, Miner): Not a half hour ago Bisan Sculptedstorm attacked a crundle in The Dead Swamp.
Molcet Siminjamas, Gem Cutter: Death is all around us. This cannot horrify me.
You punch The Woodcrafter in the left lower arm from behind with your left hand, bruising the bone through the hammerhead shark leather cloak!
Siga Jamasowba, Woodcrafter: Atho Twinefilled is really dead. I must let grief pass me by.
Nifih Buslonilo, Engraver: Thruni Valleyflies is dead. I must let grief pass me by.
Thrut Ustr tekud, Trapper: Atho Twinefilled is dead. I must let grief pass me by.
Ur Nedorgiki, Miner: How fragile we are... This doesn't scare me.
You bite The Woodcrafter in the fourth toe, right foot from behind, shattering the nail and bruising the fat through the hammerhead shark leather cloak!
You latch on firmly!
Molcet Siminjamas, Gem Cutter: Thruni Valleyflies is dead. I must let grief pass me by

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Don't ask sleeping people about local troubles. The game crashes if it tries to give you a dialogue menu with no options.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I have found the root cause of the waves of babies appearing in fortress mode.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Late to the Masterwork talk (loving last minute call in) but if you do play Masterwork as the dwarves for the love of god disable the research workshop. Its terrible, have you ever thought "I want to make a building that requires several tedious to gather materials, but first I want to have to expend all those materials, have a chance to fail and completely lose them all for the privilege of building ONE of these buildings"? Just turn it off, you can then build the advanced buildings without worries of the RNG loving you.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I went to the kobold hamlet. They were living in whatever houses were not already in ruins from the great war that destroyed them decades earlier. There weren't too many of them and none of them were named, and if I had to guess I'd say most of them were related. I wasn't able to converse with them, so the no doubt tragic story of why and how their forefathers came to the village will go untold for all time.

e: The weirdest part is that they have stuff stolen from them by other kobolds in history.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 12, 2014

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've downloaded the new version, and worldgen doesn't work - it always crashes partway through 'offloading creatures'.

Anyone know of a fix?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I hope toady gets around to making dwarf mode run faster soon. I haven't even gotten migrants yet and my fort has gotten really slow.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm planning on building a fountain, and I had a quick question.

The idea of the fountain is that I will have a pumpstack going up to a reservoir, which will then have a U pipe going underground and to the base of the fountain. Now, am I correct in thinking that if I build the fountain of with the following cross section:

code:

Top Down:

x
x~x
 x

Side View:

x~x
 x~x
 x~x
xx~xxxxxxx
 x~~~~~~~~
 xxxxxxxxx

That the water pressure will push the water up through the pipe until it reaches the same height as the reservoir. Then, with no pressure to push it higher it will flow diagonally between the walls of the pipe, dropping down the sides?

In other words, does water under pressure ignore diagonal paths until the pressure runs out?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Is there any way to get masons to work faster? Mine always run off to the furthest corner of my mines to grab just the right piece of stone, which wouldn't be so bad, except they don't use a wheelbarrow, so they spend 5 minutes hauling the heavy thing back to the workshop.

The only solution I can come up with right now is making all of my mason workshops take materials only from a stone stockpile right next to the workshop, and then give that stockpile some wheelbarrows. That would work, but it'd require people moving stone around constantly, and I don't have the labor to spare with only 11 dwarves.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Really that is the only real solution, outside of understanding why the masons do what they do:

Masons only grab what is considered non economic stone, if you go to your z screen and go to the stone tab you can toggle what stones are usable and what aren't, so maybe the mason is ignoring the closer stone cause he can't actually use it. The other problem is that the stone that is so far away might actually be right under him. If there is a boulder 2 tiles away from a mason, but there is one directly on his tile, only 100 z levels down he will go for the one all the way in the basement first.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I'm pretty sure it's only if it's equal or fewer z-levels down than the nearest one on the same z-level, even if he has to walk 10,000 tiles to get there.

I'm not entirely certain, but I'm pretty sure if you have one object five tiles away on the same z-level, and one on the same tile, 4 z-levels down, the one 4 z-levels down is 'closer' no matter the actual pathing length to get there, but not if it were say, six z-levels down.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I understand the distance thing. The main problem I'm having is that they won't use wheelbarrows, making it take ages to carry even closest piece of stone to the workshop.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

I understand the distance thing. The main problem I'm having is that they won't use wheelbarrows, making it take ages to carry even closest piece of stone to the workshop.

Wheelbarrows can only bring things into stockpiles, not out of them. The only time someone will place something from a stockpile into a wheelbarrow to move it, is if the destination is another stockpile which has wheelbarrows assigned.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

- a sound investment!

Tunicate posted:

I've downloaded the new version, and worldgen doesn't work - it always crashes partway through 'offloading creatures'.

Anyone know of a fix?

Are you trying to create a Large world? It seems to always crash around that point when trying to simulate a Large one, so stick with Medium or smaller for now and it should work. You have to join us all for the fun of invisible baby waves!

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

With the nee version I've been thinking of playing DF again, but I'd prefer to play some sort of "Vanilla Enhanced" mod that would just tweak what's already in the game, improve balance, play around with tags to add uniqueness to plants and creatures etc. without adding a shitton of new, dubious content As far as I can tell, there's nothing like that, and the closest thing in the last version was our Markus > Leper > Scamtank mod.

Scamtank, do you have anything? I don't mean for the new version but you've done a lot of tweaking (combat, entity raws...) in the last version. If you could point me to your changelogs and notes, I'd try to create a new version.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

What a time you should ask - I've actually just finished porting over/trimming the non-working fat from Lepertank. The string patcher's table doesn't have nearly all of the new tokens, but it seems to be safe to use. Not a lot got changed or removed, anyway.

Lepertank 0.4a

Aside from minor extra tweaks to armor, it's got slightly less stuff than the 0.3 version. I didn't include the old changelog, but it's been heavily commented anyway and the critical bits are in - combat/body changes, ModestMod grazer/egg/giant frequency stuff, removed professions and improved honeymaking, removed aquifers and other Limperflush's mineral changes, plant dyes and products, the new dwarf nobles, the lot.

If there's anything that could be wrong, it's that the string patcher template could have some experimental changes in there that I've forgotten about and didn't like that much, but using that thing is voluntary anyway.

e: I almost forgot to mention, this thing is made with ASCII in mind. I can probably wrangle together a Phoebus version sometime later when my head stops throbbing.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jul 12, 2014

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Does anyone know if you make a fort far from your civilization, will hill sites/deep sites will be settled around it during play/after you retire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

At the moment you'll hate the glitches, the crashes, long loading times and nobody aggroing onto you unless you yell at them. Wait for a while, then get stuck in.

cheesetriangles posted:

That sounds kinda disappointing.

On the other hand, it's really cool that I can find specific people/places/events without having to have a copy of the world running legends in the side. I can just ask people where things are and they'll either tell me or guide me. Conversation is my favorite feature so far. It feels a lot more organic than it used to be.

What's the command to climb in Adventure mode?