Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Italian team is the best team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Zettace posted:

Italian team is the best team.

I politely disagree

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Video clip from the OVA (spoilers): http://a.pomf.se/vceuaa.webm
Now this is senshado

Girls Und Panzer presents: 75mm Gunkata

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Smoking Crow posted:

I politely disagree
Nah, they're the true underdog team with half their tanks not even being able to penetrate the Type 89 and even then they managed to make it to the second round.

Also their team is just so happy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Zettace posted:

Nah, they're the true underdog team with half their tanks not even being able to penetrate the Type 89 and even then they managed to make it to the second round.

Also their team is just so happy.

I don't think that's a spoiler, that's just lovely Italian engineering.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The American club going crazy over cheapie Shermans made sense because they fielded a hojillion of them and the protagonists having a bunch of hodgepodge junkheap light tanks makes sense because their club was basically dead in the water, but why on earth would someone decide to consciously build a club around Italian tanks?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Kanos posted:

The American club going crazy over cheapie Shermans made sense because they fielded a hojillion of them and the protagonists having a bunch of hodgepodge junkheap light tanks makes sense because their club was basically dead in the water, but why on earth would someone decide to consciously build a club around Italian tanks?
The founder of their aircraft carrier school was an Italian and if their gimmick wasn't Italy then then obviously couldn't cook Italian food because gimmicks are serious business. And lets be honest, the girls are totally in it for the food.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Kanos posted:

Anchovy really wanted to be Il Duce

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Watched the OVA its really fuckin good guys

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

aers posted:

Watched the OVA its really fuckin good guys

Thanks call me when it's in English

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014
Just watched the OVA. Anzio in kinda my favorite team now. :)

Spoiler (kind of) Looks like Anzio is the party school. Loved the scene after the end credits.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Smoking Crow posted:

Thanks call me when it's in English

END MY SUFFERING

THIS WAIT IS TOO LONG

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Smoking Crow posted:

Does it ever explain why little girls have to drive the tanks instead of, you know, adults

It's a sport, no different then a high school having a baseball team.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Kanos posted:

"We purposely trained them wrong... as a joke."

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Gee these subbers are taking a while, when wil-

NONONONONONONONONONO

i thought it was supposed to be the 5th but that was just theatrical i cannot wait this long i am going to die please sa how many of you actually love something so much you get a physical headache whenever it disappoints you?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

But there's a raw out (cammed from a streaming site but it exists).

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

previous fanatic anguish retracted

I'll wait patiently until the bluray.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Dr Pepper posted:

It's a sport, no different then a high school having a baseball team.

But it's a war machine

There aren't high school artillery teams

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Smoking Crow posted:

But it's a war machine

There aren't high school artillery teams
But there are archery and sword-fighting teams.
And I think in some countries there are even gun shooting teams.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

tonberrytoby posted:

But there are archery and sword-fighting teams.
And I think in some countries there are even gun shooting teams.

But in those you don't shoot at each other

everyone in tankery could die in an instant i don't care how much they hand wave it

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Smoking Crow posted:

everyone in tankery could die in an instant i don't care how much they hand wave it
Well there are boring sports and awesome sports.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
That's easily explained. The people who allow the sport to continue are most like the same people who think aircraft carrier schools are a great idea.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nobody likes to admit it but most spectators are just there for the off chance someone gets hit by a shell while unbuttoned. Like car racing and crashes.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Sindai posted:

Nobody likes to admit it but most spectators are just there for the off chance someone gets hit by a shell while unbuttoned. Like car racing and crashes.
:eng101: The shells are self-guiding and have FLIR to let them avoid humans

Which changes it from "how does nobody get hit" to "how the gently caress does anybody afford to play this sport"

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Same way they afford aircraft carrier schools.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

It does make one wonder if there's some huge gender imbalance in the GuP world such that girls are encouraged to take up obviously dangerous sports to reduce their numbers? Either that or the reason we don't see any high school aged boys is that they're all in Infantry Club and the casualty rates there are even worse.

I know, I know, in reality the show doesn't care about these kind of disturbing implications. It just wants to be moe tanks. Nevertheless, it can be fun to speculate, no?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

jng2058 posted:

It does make one wonder if there's some huge gender imbalance in the GuP world such that girls are encouraged to take up obviously dangerous sports to reduce their numbers? Either that or the reason we don't see any high school aged boys is that they're all in Infantry Club and the casualty rates there are even worse.
Panzerkraft is supposed to inculcate the feminine virtues, so it's not a sport for boys, obv.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Panzerkraft is supposed to inculcate the feminine virtues, so it's not a sport for boys, obv.

Yeah, seriously. It's a very feminine sport. I won't judge though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My one hope for the GuP movie is that Saori finally gets a boyfriend

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Smoking Crow posted:

They handwave it pretty hard with magic cannon shell immune crew compartments(in their vintage WW2 tanks) and super awesome guided shells(fired by their vintage WW2 tanks). I don't think they ever claim no one ever dies though, remember that the protagonist's entire psychological thing stems from stopping a fight to rescue people from drowning in a sinking tank.

I guess they honestly don't give a gently caress.

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

:eng101: The shells are self-guiding and have FLIR to let them avoid humans

Which changes it from "how does nobody get hit" to "how the gently caress does anybody afford to play this sport"

ok this is my favourite lampshade even I didn't think of that

the reason these kind of guidance systems are so expensive IRL is because only the military uses them. If they're being used for bloody sport they probably have perfected the mass production to an art

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
this is a piece of media where overthinking the logic behind the universe is futile, but more progress can be made on analysing the neuroses of the audience

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Smoking Crow posted:

My one hope for the GuP movie is that Saori finally gets a boyfriend

Hah no way the JP fans will accept that.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Holy poo poo, why is this anime so stupid and yet so good? Came in expecting to laugh at one episode of moeblob bullshit, ended up marathoning the whole thing in two days.

A pile of tanks, a dash of slice-of-life, and a sprinkling of moe = good anime?!? I'm very confused yet rabidly awaiting the Anzio OVA.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

pnumoman posted:

Holy poo poo, why is this anime so stupid and yet so good? Came in expecting to laugh at one episode of moeblob bullshit, ended up marathoning the whole thing in two days.

A pile of tanks, a dash of slice-of-life, and a sprinkling of moe = good anime?!? I'm very confused yet rabidly awaiting the Anzio OVA.

That's because it watches like the writer just wanted to make a sports show with tanks first and then added moe stuff on top to bait otaku, rather than thinking "I drew some cute girls what can I have them do".

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kanos posted:

That's because it watches like the writer just wanted to make a sports show with tanks first and then added moe stuff on top to bait otaku, rather than thinking "I drew some cute girls what can I have them do".

Yeah, this is exactly the vibe I got. poo poo, I can barely remember the cast members' names without a visit to wikipedia, but I can remember each and every tank.

Joachim1167
Feb 24, 2014
English subbed version of the Anzio OVA is now available.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was a lot of pasta.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Hippo Team is still the best team.

:italy:

Adbot