Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.
I'm pretty much expecting Shulk at this point, but I'd kinda rather have Dunban or Melia in there.

Melia I think would be pretty cool, B-neutral summons a fire orb increasing melee attack, hit it again to shoot it at somebody.

B-up summons air orb to increase jump height, hit it again for one of the best recoveries to make up for having to press it twice etc.

Final summons a Telethia (wicked rear end dragon) or something. She'd be an awesome secret character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Holy cow Koopa Troopa's Mario in that EVO match!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

DoctorWhat posted:

Holy cow Koopa Troopa's Mario in that EVO match!

That was pretty nuts

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

I'm half-expecting them to reveal Link Between Worlds Link just so that they can have a Link from each timeline in the game.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

LanceKing2200 posted:

I can tell them apart, so can all my friends, so can everyone in this thread, but we're all guaranteed sales already. Nintendo needs to appeal to people who don't normally play smash bros in order to sell WiiU's this year. "Generic Blue haired anime swordsman III" doesn't build hype for anyone who isnt a Fire Emblem or Smash fan already, and I say this as someone who played the poo poo out of FE:A.

Well it's not like Chrom is the only character they need to hype the game, there's already That rocky boxing guy, Green Haired anime princess and Ninja frog Pokemon to sell on the game anyways!

Pixeltendo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 11, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HOLY poo poo THIS FALCON WHAT WAS HE DOING OH MY GOD

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DoctorWhat posted:

I think that's what the Peach player was thinking. Goddamn that falcon...

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

No-scope 360 aerial flip flip into weak knee walljump stomp making Peach regret ever being born.

And then a graceless belly flop into the void for the encore.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Pixeltendo posted:

Well it's not like Chrom is the only character they need to hype the game, there's already That rocky boxing guy, Green Haired anime princess and Ninja frog Pokemon to sell on the game anyways!

Pokemon is the second highest selling franchise of all time, behind only Mario. Literally any Pokemon they choose to add is going to be one of the hypest things in the game. Pokemon has a shitload of fans (myself included)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Man apart from Fox cornering Fox in the tree on Stadium, that was a boring-as-hell set.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

MinibarMatchman posted:

the xenoblade devs literally retweet every smash bros announcement and have been doing so all year

Aww, I remember the Punch-Out Wii dev retweeted every Nintendo Direct announcement...except the one before February, where he made a personal one. Got a lot of people speculating Little Mac would be in.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Honore_De_Balzac posted:

That is an odd qualifier, but ok.
Well, I mean, the palutena trailer was traditional animation, not CG. Someone asked if we'd get anime like the palutena trailer, IE traditional animation.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Wowee! Ken is getting cleaned up by Mario. Not even a Dr. Mario, just Mario.

http://www.twitch.tv/srkevo2

e: Spoke too soon.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 12, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Bunch of new presskit pics, including new FD vartiants for Skyloft, Garden of Hope, Windy Hill, etc.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=853357

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Those FD variants are all nicely polished turds (they couldn't have been Battlefields instead???)

Have they ever said if Smash Run has online play? They've mostly only talked about For Fun/Glory modes and that's making me think that Smash Run is local only.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jul 12, 2014

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
A new character coming this Monday? Cool can't wait to be disappointed that it's not Wonder Red, only to replace disappointment with excitement when I realize it's still someone awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlackFrost posted:

A new character coming this Monday? Cool can't wait to be disappointed that it's not Wonder Red, only to replace disappointment with excitement when I realize it's still someone awesome.

Wonder Red was already confirmed for a trophy.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Quest For Glory II posted:

Those FD variants are all nicely polished turds (they couldn't have been Battlefields instead???)

Some of them didn't even need modifications. Pyrosphere and Wily Castle would be great competitive stages if you could turn off Ridley and Yellow Devil(although YD will probably ruin that stage even for casual players).

WadeBartender
Aug 18, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Have they ever said if Smash Run has online play? They've mostly only talked about For Fun/Glory modes and that's making me think that Smash Run is local only.

I mean im not sure how local play on the 3DS works exactly...

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Giving half the stages a Battlefield mode would be good. Adding individual stage options (either to turn hazards off or make them crazier if you want) would be ideal.

For Glory may be a nod to the competitive scene, but it's a very uninformed nod.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What're the odds they'll reveal the Wii U version's release date in this dumb event?

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Calaveron posted:

What're the odds they'll reveal the Wii U version's release date in this dumb event?

Basically 0%. They want everyone to buy the 3DS version first, if the date is ambiguous people will be more likely to say "well I don't know when the WiiU version coming, so I'll just get the 3DS version to hold me over."

If I had to venture a guess it would be at Tokyo Game Show, but that's still before the NA/PAL release dates, so who knows.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

WeeabooJudas posted:

I'm pretty much expecting Shulk at this point

You're kind of implying that it isn't going to be another Pokemon. I don't think that's possible.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Slur posted:

You're kind of implying that it isn't going to be another Pokemon. I don't think that's possible.

Girafarig joins the battlelttab!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Is it the appropriate time for me to suggest it'll be Stan the Bugman or Captain Syrup yet?

Darm
Jun 15, 2008

God Bless Baby Pacman

Moriatti posted:

Is it the appropriate time for me to suggest it'll be Stan the Bugman or Captain Syrup yet?

Stanley the Bugman was a trophy in Melee, he's basically a lock for Monday.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

Some of them didn't even need modifications. Pyrosphere and Wily Castle would be great competitive stages if you could turn off Ridley and Yellow Devil(although YD will probably ruin that stage even for casual players).

Something a lot of people haven't noticed about the Pyrosphere stage is that, on top of probably Ridley being there, it also shoots lava in from the background that hits people in the foreground.

And yeah Yellow Devil is really awful, I haven't heard anyone who played the demo say anything good about it. It takes a while to kill and gets in the way and then when you finally do manage to kill it, it comes back in just a few seconds so its like wow great, glad we accomplished nothing.

Of the stages we know about, I think the only ones we can say for sure will be competitively viable are Final Destination (all of them, though it would be hilarious if one of the variants got banned), Battlefield, Halberd, and probably Town and City (the platforms move really fast though which might cause problems). The other stages that might be considered either have wacky poo poo added for no reason (like Wily's Castle), or would be too different to say for sure (like Coliseum, I don't think there's ever been any completely flat stage outside of Bridge of Eldin and that one had the Moblin dude come in and ruin it, so who knows how that could turn out). There are still a lot of stages we probably haven't seen yet, though, so there might be hope for us losers yet!!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I wouldn't be too surprised if they made the Yellow Devil spawn way more often in that build, just to make sure he'd show up for the public.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

sharrrk posted:

Town and City (the platforms move really fast though which might cause problems).

I think mostly players didn't expect the floating platforms to outright leave the stage. In some of the videos online, there's funny moments where you can tell the player is expecting the platform to stop and return to the middle like in Brawl, and nope, bye, dead. I don't think it'll affect the stage's legality, though.

The Sonic stage, Windy Hill, might be too big for competitive players' tastes, but there's been no indication of wacky hazards yet (aside from seeming to have the same curved gravity effect as the Mario Galaxy stage), so maybe it'll get the okay. And if Delfino Plaza was accepted as a counterpick in Brawl, Skyloft should be okay as well, since they're very functionally similar. And Pilotwings seems to have the greenlight too, all it does is tilt and (very safely) switch planes.

There's definitely a lot more to see. No new Kirby, Starfox, DK, Yoshi, Wario, F-Zero, or Earthbound stages have been announced yet for either version, and those are all sure to show up. We've glimpsed a new Wii U Pokemon stage, but haven't had a good look. There's probably one more new Wii U Zelda stage in the cards as well. And stages for any new franchise reps (like the heavily-rumoured Xenoblade and Rhythm Heaven).

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 12, 2014

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I understand people having qualms with Chrom, given his, uh... design similarities to Marth and Ike, but both Marth and Ike are REALLY fun to play, and really distinct in spite having the same color hair and using, broadly, the same kind of weapon.

As long as Chrom isn't a clone, gameplay-wise (Roy...) I'm cool with Chrom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chrom would be fairly easy to make distinct.

He has multiple classes beyond Lord and can use spears and bows.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

And if Delfino Plaza was accepted as a counterpick in Brawl, Skyloft should be okay as well, since they're very functionally similar. And Pilotwings seems to have the greenlight too, all it does is tilt and (very safely) switch planes.

I actually didn't know that Delfino Plaza was a counterpick for competitive Brawl! I only play Project M competitively and I figured if it wasn't allowed there then it wasn't in vanilla Brawl, but that actually makes me really happy because Delfino Plaza was my favorite stage and Skyloft looks to be more of that! I still don't know about Pilotwings though, it seems like the tilting could end up causing problems. Then again, the stage looks like it has a set course and repeats it exactly everytime, so that might make it fine.

And yeah, if you go over the list of revealed stages its actually really small compared to Brawl's number of stages, so I very much suspect there is a lot we haven't seen yet. I just hope they don't feel like Final Destination-izing every stage means they can add unnecessary stage hazards without worry.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
As loath as I am to dredge this up again, I feel like when making a flat, featureless version of every stage is deemed not competitively ideal for a fighting game there are different issues at play than the developer.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's because SSB is built around platforming and major emphasis on the aerial game, so a stage like Battlefield with multiple levels of action is considered closer to the ideal.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

sharrrk posted:

Something a lot of people haven't noticed about the Pyrosphere stage is that, on top of probably Ridley being there, it also shoots lava in from the background that hits people in the foreground.

And yeah Yellow Devil is really awful, I haven't heard anyone who played the demo say anything good about it. It takes a while to kill and gets in the way and then when you finally do manage to kill it, it comes back in just a few seconds so its like wow great, glad we accomplished nothing.

Of the stages we know about, I think the only ones we can say for sure will be competitively viable are Final Destination (all of them, though it would be hilarious if one of the variants got banned), Battlefield, Halberd, and probably Town and City (the platforms move really fast though which might cause problems). The other stages that might be considered either have wacky poo poo added for no reason (like Wily's Castle), or would be too different to say for sure (like Coliseum, I don't think there's ever been any completely flat stage outside of Bridge of Eldin and that one had the Moblin dude come in and ruin it, so who knows how that could turn out). There are still a lot of stages we probably haven't seen yet, though, so there might be hope for us losers yet!!

Walk-offs are usually a ban.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

DrPaper posted:

I hope they reconsider this.

They won't. But, I hope they do.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DrPaper posted:

I never understood this ban.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

Easy to chain-throw someone off the stage.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

The match has a high chance of devolving into camping around the killzone and just making an easy throw for the kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Sire Oblivion posted:

It makes this kinda thing even more problematic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-M5fw55Yg4

And also encourages camping the edge.
It just generally makes poo poo worse.

What I don't understand is why they don't just have all stages be Islands in the sky like in the original, and then give us a hazard toggle switch?

• Locked thread