Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Hey guys Tecmo Koei updated the Hyrule Warriors website.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/zelda/index.html

Fi from Skyward Sword is a playable character, and apparently Agitha from Twilight Princess?

There's also Zant, and some new pale guy who I don't recognize (he might be a Skyward Sword villain, never played it).

They also updated the character galleries with DLC costumes, looks like Link and Zelda get their Twilight Princess outfits, and some other outfits I don't immediately recognize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

5er posted:

Some Three Kingdoms 2010 chat- I've made it to about ep.70. Lu Su's dead, Lu Xun's introduced, Dingjun and Hanzhong battles are concluded.

This show really brings out Guan Yu as a vain prick, and both he and Zhang Fei revert to paranoid, egotistical idiots without Liu Bei around to keep the reins tight. Guan Yu's treatment of Lu Meng and Lu Su over the commandery turnovers. Shu in general seems to have made a gradual change from this righteous band glued together around a charismatic and infallible leader, to a group of troubled hypocrites backsliding away from their original moral core.

Meanwhile Cao Cao, who's historically speaking been largely cast as a villain, seems like he can be genuinely liked most days. Most of his cruelty seems mostly directed at officials that serve under him, while the civil infrastructure seems stable and peaceful for the common folks. His rule is despotic but practical, and his laugh is infectious. Whenever he gets pissed about stuff he's very entertaining. I sure wouldn't want to work for him considering how you could be frequently doing the right thing but if you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time you could end up decapitated, but Liu Bei at this point is an unlikeable hypocrite who seems incapable of following advice from chief advisors that are loads smarter than him, and Sun Quan seems like an aristocratic fop with a short temper and a fragile ego.

This series is great, and not for the first time, thanks to the thread for making me aware of it.

Cao Cao is usually way more entertaining, regardless of Villain-mode or not. Everyone is a violent douchebag warlord but at least Cao Cao got style / is enjoying himself.

I am finding the campaign in DW8 to be a bit dull, the scenarios feel poorly strung together and it doesn't feel like you have much of an effect on the outcome short of some of those really specific "alt-scenarios" you can unlock. Something more structured/free-form outside of ambition mode would have been nice. Like, all factions are around, there's a map, pick a character and follow history / don't, big events will happen with or without you but you might have an effect. But I guess that's more like Empires?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
People are talking about how DW8's story doesn't really stack up to previous entries in the series and mentioning fun gameplay elements from earlier installments. Are there specific earlier games those people think would be fun to play for someone who's sucked the juices out of DW8 and wants more?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I think DW5 is best for the story mode. You pick a character and play up until the point they die in the story. Its got tons of exposition for every character and a lot of unique dialogue.

You play the same levels over and over, but if your into DW you end up doing that anyway and probably dont care.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7IuPN0aCwA

Trailer for SW4. Got posted today.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Question for those who've played SW4, is the Other (Yellow) side back in some of the battles? That's a weird little feature I didn't realize I missed until I was playing Gundam Reborn

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I see Japan has its own versions of the peach garden oath and cao pi

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Fi from Skyward Sword is a playable character, and apparently Agitha from Twilight Princess?

There's also Zant, and some new pale guy who I don't recognize (he might be a Skyward Sword villain, never played it).

They also updated the character galleries with DLC costumes, looks like Link and Zelda get their Twilight Princess outfits, and some other outfits I don't immediately recognize.

I'm surprised they haven't added adult Midna since she basically already looked like a ridiculous Dynasty Warriors character.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Twelve by Pies posted:

So it looks like the power gloves are basically Hulk hands by way of Koei :black101:

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Looks like they finally switched over to the DW7/8 Musou bar system. Definitely looking forward to this.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

I forgot how much I love Samurai Warrior's music.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I tried following you guys' advice for saving Zhou Yu, and I stayed in the base and didn't go outside it at all when that phase began, and still got the "Zhou Yu isn't injured, it's a trick!" message after like ten seconds.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Anonymous Robot posted:

I tried following you guys' advice for saving Zhou Yu, and I stayed in the base and didn't go outside it at all when that phase began, and still got the "Zhou Yu isn't injured, it's a trick!" message after like ten seconds.

Just play as Lu Su or, uh, whoever else is available in that stage. Seriously, it's not difficult, and it's much less headache-inducing.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

I followed the guide on this page and it worked for me on the second try.
http://s13.zetaboards.com/koeiwarriors/topic/7080371/1/
make sure to let everyone finish all their dialogue before you move to the next stage of the plan

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Shinjobi posted:

Guan Yu should count for three or four deaths, since holy poo poo Liu Bei goes absolutely bonkers and throws away benevolence as soon as he dies. Sun Quan never comes close to unraveling the same way, he just goes crazy.

Yeah, and at least it's the fun, "time to step up" kind of crazy.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
I finally got DW8XL for PS4. Which order should one do the story mode in?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

oblomov posted:

Wei>Wu>Shu>Jin>Lu Bu

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm surprised they haven't added adult Midna since she basically already looked like a ridiculous Dynasty Warriors character.

Reason #1: Adult Midna is lame. :colbert:

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
The best part about Sun Quan is that his voice actor makes him sound like a pulp novel action scientist.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

GoatLord posted:

Wei>Wu>Shu>Jin>Lu Bu

Shu>Wu>Wei>Jin>Lu Bu

Get the Benevolence out of the way early, and hopefully by the time you're finishing up Wei's story it'll start sounding like a real word again.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I sort of did it by where they chronologically all end. Wu starts earlier and ends earlier than the others, then Wei, then Shu, then Jin.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Anonymous Robot posted:

If it's the mission I'm thinking of, there's kind of a gotcha. The base you're in when he gets wounded is not the base they want him to wait in. You want to book it to the one a bit to the north as soon as they ping it and wait there.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

FredMSloniker posted:

If it's the mission I'm thinking of, there's kind of a gotcha. The base you're in when he gets wounded is not the base they want him to wait in. You want to book it to the one a bit to the north as soon as they ping it and wait there.

There should even be a ping at the location where you are supposed to be when the order appears.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Ambivalent posted:

I sort of did it by where they chronologically all end. Wu starts earlier and ends earlier than the others, then Wei, then Shu, then Jin.

Er, no, Wei ends at Fan Castle, and Wu has a couple stages after that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Both Wu and Shu's historical ending cutscenes will always crack me up given what happens right after their victory charge.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Allarion posted:

Both Wu and Shu's historical ending cutscenes will always crack me up given what happens right after their victory charge.
Heck, even Cao Cao isn't long for this world after his historical ending. And doesn't everything fall to hell not long after the Jin ending? I seem to remember reading that Romance of the Three Kingdoms ends on an 'and the land was united the end' note without mentioning that it lasted a super short time before the new rule collapsed again.

Speaking of endings, other folks have mentioned that RotTK kind of dribbles to an end, with all the interesting characters dead long before the book stops. How would you end the book, though (keeping in mind that you obviously don't have to be completely historical, but you want to maintain at least a semblance of accuracy)? Just end it on a tragic note with Zhuge Liang's death? Or...?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
SW4 looks amazing and if it doesn't come to PC I may finally have a reason to want a PS4.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

FredMSloniker posted:

Heck, even Cao Cao isn't long for this world after his historical ending. And doesn't everything fall to hell not long after the Jin ending? I seem to remember reading that Romance of the Three Kingdoms ends on an 'and the land was united the end' note without mentioning that it lasted a super short time before the new rule collapsed again.
You be the judge: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jin_dynasty_%28265%E2%80%93420%29

Just 20 years after Wu fell a series of civil wars kicked off. Then barbarians invaded from the north, sacked the capital and co-capital, and drove the Jin into south China for a few decades.

Eventually one of the Jin's generals retook the north and usurped the throne, ending the dynasty.

Wait a minute, haven't I heard that one before? :v:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 11, 2014

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
In Samurai Warriors 4, it looks like Musou attacks work like they do in DW 7/8? My only experience with SW is with Warriors Orochi 3.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Unlucky7 posted:

In Samurai Warriors 4, it looks like Musou attacks work like they do in DW 7/8? My only experience with SW is with Warriors Orochi 3.
Yeah, they no longer have that thing where you hold down the button or they stop (though the first part of them is still a repetitive action, same as rage attacks in DW8), and they have a finisher in all situations, not just the special conditions in previous games.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I'll never get rid of the instinct to just keep slamming the musou button to make sure that everything dies, and Koei changing the mechanic won't change that.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

FredMSloniker posted:

Just end it on a tragic note with Zhuge Liang's death? Or...?
It's pretty much what drat near everyone did as far as Three Kingdoms adaptations up until DW7, and in TK2010 Zhuge Liang's death was in the penultimate episode with the series finale concluding with Sima Yi's death.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

oblomov posted:

If you want it based on chronological order, IIRC it starts
Shu>Wu>Wei>Lu Bu>Jin,
but ends
Lu Bu>Wei>Wu>Shu>Jin on historical routes.

In terms of optimal happenings, I'd suggest

Shu>Wu>Wei>Lu Bu>Jin then Hypotheticals in order of who you liked the best.

--

That reminds me - I was playing 7 Empires as Meng Huo a couple of nights ago, used Musou 2 on the enemy ruler. They flipped out and a private hit them as they recovered and captured the Kingdom.

This ever happen to anyone else?

Trollhawke fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jul 11, 2014

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Empires games are the only ones where you don't have to be the one to get the final hit in on the main enemy officer. I think there's actually an achievement for that, too, in one of them.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Chortles posted:

It's pretty much what drat near everyone did as far as Three Kingdoms adaptations up until DW7, and in TK2010 Zhuge Liang's death was in the penultimate episode with the series finale concluding with Sima Yi's death.

I didn't care for how TK2010 skipped over the Eunuchs, as well as paraphrasing that whole Yellow Turbans thing as "Well, there was some fighting, you know. Kinda sucked, here's Cao Cao."

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
It was a deliberate choice I'm sure though, since the lore is so familiar to audiences that presumably Gao Xixi (director) found little in the way of plot hooks to be had for the main characters in the Yellow Turbans period to justify spending time on it; The Ravages of Time also picks straight up with Dong Zhuo's presence in the capital with the eunuchs and Yellow Turbans only being mentioned in retrospect -- although Cao Cao's first scene is the aftermath of his "failed" pursuit of Dong Zhuo, where his decimated army is reconstituted with Yellow Turbans, hence the beginning of the Qing Province troops.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I can't imagine how much longer the series would be if they added in the Yellow Turban. It took like 60 episodes before the three kingdoms were actually established.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if you do the hypothetical stars and then the historical route for most factions they just sweep the dudes you saved under the rug but for the jin all of the guys are explicitly mentioned with how they stabbed you in the back. poor zhao :(

but goddamn everyone in this faction is so grossly unlikeable and all the cool dudes are dead so its just like "faceless man did thing to other faceless man". what a bad story :mad:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Man, DWGR got boring real fast. Even by musou standards the "proper" way to do combat is ridiculously samey across every single suit. It's fun to blow up 2000 dudes with an Acguy or something but it's about as shallow as a puddle and I feel no incentive to bother unlocking much of anything simply because the only real varying traits between suits boil down to area of effect on c attacks and type of musou.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kanos posted:

Man, DWGR got boring real fast. Even by musou standards the "proper" way to do combat is ridiculously samey across every single suit. It's fun to blow up 2000 dudes with an Acguy or something but it's about as shallow as a puddle and I feel no incentive to bother unlocking much of anything simply because the only real varying traits between suits boil down to area of effect on c attacks and type of musou.

i feel the same way, once you see all the moves and musous the game is done