Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Manifest posted:

I got the starter box of this as a birthday gift, and then ordered both of the cardassian ships and voyager (I like the SHIP), because I had amazon credit and no one was selling the defiant.

What's the best place to go next jem'hadar attack ship? TOS enterprise (that'll get me kirk right)?
Is this like x-wing where I'll have to buy some duplicate packs purely for cards, if so which ones?
The rulebook says cross-faction play is on a mutually agreed upon basis, but everyone is talking as if they mix often, which is it?

TOS Enterprise is a great upgrade. It will give you some amazing crew, the Fed's best elite talents, Kirk, and a ship that Janeway interacts with in a fun and funny way as long as you already have her. JH attack ship is sort of marginal in the current Meta. Weyoun6 opens up some decent combos, but you'd need to get a Romulan Science Vessel to have the best one. Enterprise is the most bang for your buck.

Attack Wing is less about dupes than X-Wing, no fleets of 9 TIEs or whatever. I'd never advise more than 2 of any expansion unless you really want to spam a given upgrade, and then you're getting into M:TG territory, paying $15 for essentially one card. It's not strictly necessary. I'd focus on collecting uniques for the most part unless you find any non-unique upgrade or ship version that just makes you say "Hey, if I had TWO of X, I could really do Y!"

Cross-faction is a giant bugbear in this game, in no small part due to the fact that the space-racists have that page to point to. Obviously at your home games it's your home rules, and at any OP event the local organizers have pretty broad latitude on how to run things.

My take is this: If you enforce strict "faction purity" some of the more marginal factions with only 1 or 2 ships become virtually unplayable. The designers have said they tested the game with mixed fleets.

As a TO for my FLGS, I try to encourage thematic builds by using the fellowship prize, rather than dictating their requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
That's pretty helpful, thanks.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I've been playing more or less weekly with a friend of mine using my collection. We go sort of faction pure because it makes dividing the card pool easy. The restrictions on choices also help keep setup time short. If you're working out builds in advance mixed factions will probably be more interesting though.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Take it from someone who thought it would be cool to fly a swarm of Jem'Hadar attack ships: Don't Buy Multiples of ships unless you need the cards.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Take it from someone who thought it would be cool to fly a swarm of Jem'Hadar attack ships: Don't Buy Multiples of ships unless you need the cards.

I ended up just buying one. I was going to get a defiant too but the local shops are all out.

I think I've got enough to keep me busy for a long time though. Starterbox, Voyager, TOS Enterprise for Federation, and both Galor-class ships and the Jem'Hadar attack ship for Dominion.

MapleCarnage
Dec 30, 2010
I'm having a hard time finding any product or players in Asheville, NC. Any of you guys know where I can play around here?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I really need to update the OP but :effort:

Borg, Borg OP event. Basically just change the OP to a giant table breaking image of borgs.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

S'Gorn, 22 pts - 3|1|3|4 (Tech, Tech, Crew): When attacking with your Primary Weapon, if you inflict at least 1 Critical to an enemy ship's hull, that ship must also discard one Crew upgrade (of it's choice).

Gorn Starship, 20pts - 3|1|3|3 (Tech, Crew)

Gorn Commander, 3pts - CS 4, Elite Talent: When attacking, you may convert 1 blank result into 1 hit result.

Jammed Communications (Tech), 5pts: ACTION: All Ships within range 1-3 of your ship (including your own) cannot provide or benefit from any text abilities that affect other friendly ships this round. Place an Auxiliary Power Token beside your ship.

Impulse Overload (Tech), 2pts: ACTION: Discard this card to target a ship at Range 1 of your ship and roll 3 attack dice. If your roll at least 1 Hit or Critical, the target ship must discard 1 Tech upgrade (of it's choice).

Gorn Pilot (Crew), 3pts: ACTION: If you performed a Straight maneuver this round, you may disable this card to immediately perform an additional 1Straight Maneuver.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKmny-aEYkA

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Gornographic. That ship text is pretty neat. Put Khan on that bitch, stay at battlestations, explode mans.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Picked up 2 4th division battleships and Kraxon. How bad did I gently caress up, assuming I stay faction pure?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Feeple posted:

Picked up 2 4th division battleships and Kraxon. How bad did I gently caress up, assuming I stay faction pure?

SO bad. 4 db is hot rancid garbage. Kraxon good tho. Shoulda got a koranak instead of the sexond battleship fo sho.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

The Battleship was one of the funniest things to happen to the game. When it came out, you had players insisting that it needed its lousy steering and narrow firing arc to keep such a monster balanced. The the sphere came out and the Battleship got laughed it off the battlefield.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The Battleship was one of the funniest things to happen to the game. When it came out, you had players insisting that it needed its lousy steering and narrow firing arc to keep such a monster balanced. The the sphere came out and the Battleship got laughed it off the battlefield.

It's so egregious I would have thought wave 4 was the one done under a different designer, not 5.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

From BGG:

"According to 'That Teri Girl' on the STAW Facebook group, the blind boosters will contain 1 Fed, 1 Kling, 1 Dom, 1 Rom and 1 Inde.

She will be showing them one per day from June 2nd. "

...and then getting pissy when someone takes her bad videos and boils them down to a collection of useful data.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

From BGG:

"According to 'That Teri Girl' on the STAW Facebook group, the blind boosters will contain 1 Fed, 1 Kling, 1 Dom, 1 Rom and 1 Inde.

...and then getting pissy when someone takes her bad videos and boils them down to a collection of useful data.

Speculation: a Miranda, Brel, JH Junebug, not sure about Rom/Indy. Maybe a TOS Warbird.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Doesn't the Indy ship have to be a Tholian vessel, since they are going to be new named versions of existing ships?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Doesn't the Indy ship have to be a Tholian vessel, since they are going to be new named versions of existing ships?

Or Gorns.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

Or Gorns.

Man, the Gorn Commander is so good.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

From BGG:

I don't mind her videos, but holy poo poo is that a terrible format for presenting the data we actually want to know

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I don't mind her videos, but holy poo poo is that a terrible format for presenting the data we actually want to know

I've gotten a little annoyed at them lately. This last one is pretty bad, where she shows the cards for literally 5 seconds each before cutting back to her looking into the camera. That's the kind of thing that practically mandates a text version.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

There are definitely fan made rules for this vs. X Fighters right? Can anybody link some to me?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I've gotten a little annoyed at them lately. This last one is pretty bad, where she shows the cards for literally 5 seconds each before cutting back to her looking into the camera. That's the kind of thing that practically mandates a text version.

Ah, haven't watched the last few (waiting for text versions, lol)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A fun but implausible theory for the independent ship: Surplus B'rel, as seen in aatrek's favorite TNG episode.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hideki and Fed Fighters getting their own release.

Vidiian Starship
Regent’s Flagship
Hideki-Class Attack Squadron
http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/STAW-Wave-10-Solicit.pdf

Romulan Drone Ship
Hirogen Warship
Federation Attack Fighter Squadron
http://heroclix.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/STAW-Wave-11-Solicit.pdf

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

jesus are the Arena OP event rules some convoluted poo poo.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Since Teri likes to whine on BGG when someone transcribes here videos there, I'll just keep them here for the time being.

The Gavroche - 22pts
Atk: 2| Agl: 3| Hull: 3| Shl: 3
ACTION: Disable up to 2 of your Crew Upgrades and add +1 Attack Die to each of your attacks this round for each Crew Upgrade you disabled with this action.

Michael Eddington - 4pts
CS: 6, Elite Talent Upgrade slot
At the start of the game place 3 Mission Tokens on this card.
ACTION: Target a ship at Range 1-3 and discard 1 Mission Token from this card. Target ship rolls -2 attack dice against this ship for each of its attacks this round.

Hijack - 4pts
Elite Talent
ACTION: Discard this card to target a ship at Range 1-2 that is not cloaked and has no active shields. Disable all of your remaining shields and one Crew Upgrade on the target ship. Then steal 1 Tech or Weapon Upgrade Card of your choice, even if the Upgrade exceeds your ship's restrictions.

Lon Suder - 2pts
Crew
During the Roll Attack Dice step of the Combat Phase, you may disable this card and spend a Battlestations token to add +1 additional attack die to your attack.

Sakonna - 2pts
Crew
Add 1 additional Weapon Upgrade slot to your Upgrade Bar.
All of your Weapon Upgrades with a cost of 5 or less cost -2 SP.

Focused Particle Beam - 4pts
Weapon, Atk: 3, Range 1-3
ATTACK: Disable this card to perform this attack. During the Roll Attack Dice step of the Combat Phase, if you roll a Hit or Critical result on each one of your dice with this attack, continue rolling 1 additional attack dice, one-at-a-time, until you do not roll a Hit or Critical result (max. 3 additional dice). Add all Hit and Critical results from the additional dice to your total for this attack. Any Blank or Battlstations results from the additional dice are not added.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KKDKYm8FQA

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A lot of new spaceboats coming out.

Putting Shelby on a cloaked Defiant with Koss to protect your audio equipment could be fun v. Borgs.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

What ship is Shelby coming with?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Manifest posted:

What ship is Shelby coming with?

Yeager is the Federation booster ship. Has her, Brocolli, and the captain fron The Wounded.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Has anyone played The Arena OP or thought about builds for taking/ignoring the planet?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

Has anyone played The Arena OP or thought about builds for taking/ignoring the planet?

Ran/Played it.

The Cube with Transwarp and In'Cha and the other fixings works pretty well for ignoring the planet. Pop a high skill captain before he drops. Lose the planet battle. Doesn't matter because you've wrecked part of their fleet and don't need a captain to continue wrecking it with your nearly invincible cube. Note though that it's possible to make a build that can win as long as at least one ship survives by spamming just absurd amounts of captains at the planet. Since they can assign damage you can put it selectively on the skill 7s and have a bunch of skill 1's make it through for 15 points a pop.

For the planet battle focused build I tested a ton of cheap Romulan ships with middling high Romulan captains, and that worked nicely. After the planet battle you put them in a corner opposite you and fly around to time. If it's a Cube/sphere, setting them up diagonal to the map corners and trying to box them in with the planet token works fairly well to keep them from getting to you anytime quick.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Well noone wanted to play the arena scenario so we didn't. Hurray for a free gorn ship

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

zVxTeflon posted:

Well noone wanted to play the arena scenario so we didn't. Hurray for a free gorn ship

Huh. Well, grats on the ship. Seems like a great boat for Khan(8).

The past couple events have had shitdick for turnout at my venue. The FLGS cut back to one brick/kit for this coming event. I hope that it's enough in case the whole borg thing causes everyone to come running back.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Otisburg posted:

The past couple events have had shitdick for turnout at my venue.

Same. We usually hovered around 10-13ish for the dominion war but for tholian web we had 6 and Arena we had 3.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Wave 6 has been spoiled by at least one shop selling them well ahead of street. Interesting stuff. Biggest metagame change is the "Admiral" mechanic. Dukat and Kirk now have admiral versions. Admiral is a double-sided captain. You can field him as a captain like normal, OR you can field him as an admiral. He adds to your captain's CS, his captain text action can be performed by another ship once per round, and he can flip and "take over" if your captain is on an away team for a scenario, injured by a crit, etc.

Here's the contents of the movieprise, my favoritist Enterprise:

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 29, 2014

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

So locally turnout has really taken a poo poo. How are things by you guys?

Was it the increasing pace of seemingly power-creepy expansions? Was it everyone jumping into the Borg with both feet and getting all :regd08: with it?

Anyway poo poo is hosed, which is a shame because I liked this poo poo, warts and all.

RupertWalpole
Jun 22, 2009
Turnout in my area is steady. In fact, we added two new regulars this month. We had to split into two OP groups since the new format kind of hard caps at 10 people. The guy that won this month in my group was actually fed pure, minus the blind ship.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Otisburg posted:

So locally turnout has really taken a poo poo. How are things by you guys?

Was it the increasing pace of seemingly power-creepy expansions? Was it everyone jumping into the Borg with both feet and getting all :regd08: with it?

Anyway poo poo is hosed, which is a shame because I liked this poo poo, warts and all.

Judging by the conversations happening at BBG, the current meta seems locked in playing either Borg or Anti-Borg. It sucks, but that's WizKids.

I encourage you to start tailoring your OPs to your players.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Judging by the conversations happening at BBG, the current meta seems locked in playing either Borg or Anti-Borg. It sucks, but that's WizKids.

I encourage you to start tailoring your OPs to your players.

I hate to become That Guy, but it feels like going "ship pure" might fix tons and tons of the more egregious thingies. I view it as kind of the nuclear option though, because it also locks the fun fleet-building aspect of the game down hard.

E: I could always use the carrot and just keep the admiral's order in effect indefinitely.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Back up to seven people for the first Collective event. It was a good time.

Well, except for Eddington here, who found himself in a tough spot.

• Locked thread