Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
meet the security princess in her harem of wonky friendzoned "wonky" coworkers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

the "courage" to manage the people it is her job to manage

Sappy Fingers
Jun 16, 2006

vlc owns sorry wrongs
would somebody with more law knowledge than me explain why this is a bad thing for google to do, like whats the problem here that breaks a law or harms anything

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
seriously the more of that article i get through the sillier it gets. the tone and narrative is absolutely bizarre.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sappy Fingers posted:

would somebody with more law knowledge than me explain why this is a bad thing for google to do, like whats the problem here that breaks a law or harms anything

you cannot use a monopoly in one market (search) to crush a competitor in another (uh, reviews?)

makes more sense when it's OSes and browsers

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

you cannot use a monopoly in one market (search) to crush a competitor in another (uh, reviews?)

makes more sense when it's OSes and browsers
it also makes more sense when the "monopoly" is predicated on how tough it is to switch to bing

ufarn
May 30, 2009
otoh few companies deserve this more than yelp

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

LastInLine posted:

it also makes more sense when the "monopoly" is predicated on how tough it is to switch to bing

switching to drinking paint instead of water is easy

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28243933

this bodes well for the EU take down of google

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sappy Fingers posted:

providing a service to your existing customers that is similar to a service provided by another business is not ok.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

eu extracts money from stuff shocker

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-28243933

this bodes well for the EU take down of google

eu can't take down microsoft, they can't take down google.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

i go on vacation for two goddamned weeks....

they were gonna announce this for the webrtc panel at i/o but it slipped. if u use chrome you don't need to download anything now that's all

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

has the google management propaganda worked on google employees? do they think they're working for an innovative company or do they realize that they're working for the new microsoft?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cremnob posted:

has the google management propaganda worked on google employees? do they think they're working for an innovative company or do they realize that they're working for the new microsoft?

OH NO HOW HORRIBLE TO WORK FOR A MASSIVELY PROFITABLE COMPANY THAT WILL BE AROUND FOREVER

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

keep fuckin that chicken

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

eu can't take down microsoft, they can't take down google.

yeah, but i'm gonna enjoy watching them try

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nintendo Kid posted:

OH NO HOW HORRIBLE TO WORK FOR A MASSIVELY PROFITABLE COMPANY THAT WILL BE AROUND FOREVER

you are actually autistic aren't you?

you don't see how employees who style themselves as innovators and "disruptors" and base their identities around being googlers would have a problem with working for a company that's become the poster child for institutional computing?

here, lets start with these and work our way from there

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

you don't see how employees who style themselves as innovators and "disruptors" and base their identities around being googlers would have a problem with working for a company that's become the poster child for institutional computing?

i actually don't, because most of them don't give a poo poo about anything as long as they have their free cafeterias and ballpits. google stopped being about "disruption" a good decade ago.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
in my experience most googlers can't connect their job to any actual money made for the firm

it's a lifestyle not a business

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Nintendo Kid posted:

i actually don't, because most of them don't give a poo poo about anything as long as they have their free cafeterias and ballpits. google stopped being about "disruption" a good decade ago.

tell that to justine tunney

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

infernal machines posted:

tell that to justine tunney

justine tunney is a certifiably insane fascist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

here we agree

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

nonunion you see the goog et al would absolutely run this country better than any government

#ballpitoccupation

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nintendo Kid posted:

the one googler I know is actually down to earth and doesn't give a poo poo about the perks really. then again he lives in Austin and works for their corporate products division so maybe the mountain view people are different

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah, but i'm gonna enjoy watching them try

the best way that the eu could gently caress with google (and all of the US software companies) would be to fix the loophole they are exploiting for taxes. of course that's a bit of a nuclear option

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

the one googler I know is actually down to earth and doesn't give a poo poo about the perks really. then again he lives in Austin and works for their corporate products division so maybe the mountain view people are different

if you want a real gently caress google moment you should ask someone bout the history of the austin office. i had a friend who was switching there from dublin, and they announced they were closing the office while he was in the air with his family to move there. he gets off and his in laws are picking them all up in the airport and say, "what's going on with google?" and he had no idea what they were talking about. that's hosed up. like, why not tell him, "maybe you shouldn't transfer there for a bit," if you can't let it on that you're closing the office.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Shifty Pony posted:

the best way that the eu could gently caress with google (and all of the US software companies) would be to fix the loophole they are exploiting for taxes. of course that's a bit of a nuclear option

eh then they'd go back to delaware or whatever

but at least they won't be sitting on domestic 'foreign' cash i guess

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

it's not just software, basically every us company that does business in europe uses this tax structure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish#Companies_using_the_arrangement

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

api call girl posted:

eh then they'd go back to delaware or whatever

but at least they won't be sitting on domestic 'foreign' cash i guess

i don't think you understand just how advantageous the loopholes exploited are. if they used delaware they would pay ~30% in taxes on profits but the money they push through the loophole process is essentially untaxed, or at an effective rate in the low single digits.

Mr. Glass posted:

it's not just software, basically every us company that does business in europe uses this tax structure

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Irish#Companies_using_the_arrangement

that's why I called it the nuclear option. but it kinda seems like various eu countries (except Ireland of course) are getting rather annoyed with the tax games putting their local companies at a severe disadvantage to the multinational companies that can pay for the network of shell companies required.

edit: also it is a ton easier to claim software services are being sold in a different country than a car, although it is pretty amazing that caterpillar has the gall to pull it with spare parts

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 11, 2014

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it gets kinda hard to define where things are sold in a multinational. like, the irish office takes an order for a part for a guy in germany and the part is shipped from a warehouse in new jersey. head quarters is in amsterdam

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol the google lobbying campaign beings in europe. they know whats coming

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/google-to-go-on-european-tour-to-discuss-privacy/?ref=technology

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hobbesmaster posted:

it gets kinda hard to define where things are sold in a multinational. like, the irish office takes an order for a part for a guy in germany and the part is shipped from a warehouse in new jersey. head quarters is in amsterdam

i read that as irish coffee and was confused for a couple seconds idk just felt like sharing

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

they're all jaded about perks after a few months

nevertheless over time more and more of their friends are googlers. it's seriously a self-contained lifestyle

Shifty Pony posted:

i don't think the eu could realistically do this. tampering with the tax laws of member states would be a real rough ride

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

solution: be the united states, tax everything as if it happened in the u.s., punishing all foreigners. :bahgawd:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think the eu could realistically do this. tampering with the tax laws of member states would be a real rough ride

i'm sure there's a "any trade not within the eu must follow eu laws" clause somewhere

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

computer parts posted:

i'm sure there's a "any trade not within the eu must follow eu laws" clause somewhere

the eu really, really can't touch member state taxation. the mere whiff that the eu might see increased powers over member state taxation nearly scuttled the last major rounds of eu negotiations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Hey guys. I just logged on to my drive to upload some files I'm planning to use at work next Monday and I got greeted with something really great: Drive is getting even better. I know, it sounds insane - Drive is already so far and away the best cloud storage and productivity suite that it seems kind of unfair to leave the competitors so far in the dust, but gosh darnit if I don't appreciate everything those GENIUS Googlers cook up in their wacky labs. Anyways, here's a neat little intro video that does a really swell job at explaining some of the wonderful new features you can find on Drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWvKAYKlnnM

Check it out at https://g.co/getdrive

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
thanks google.

wish you'd make Chroem stop crashing when I try to Save files from the internet tho!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.lnk to the past
May 3, 2005

psoting while drunk

looks like that os is a pos

• Locked thread