Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I Before E posted:

So I'm thinking of doing a forums tournament of worst commentators in wrestling history.

My list so far:
Cole
Lawler
JBL
Mike Tenay
Don West
Mark Madden
Vince McMahon
Macho Man
Art Donovan
Jonathan Coachman
Disco Inferno

I'm shooting for an even 16-man bracket, so any people you'd like to see added to the list?

Rob Bartlett.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

TNA-era Tazz
Larry Zbyszko was pretty drat bad in WCW

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Tir McDohl posted:

Rob Bartlett.

Seconded.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

I Before E posted:

So I'm thinking of doing a forums tournament of worst commentators in wrestling history.

My list so far:
Cole
Lawler
JBL
Mike Tenay
Don West
Mark Madden
Vince McMahon
Macho Man
Art Donovan
Jonathan Coachman
Disco Inferno

I'm shooting for an even 16-man bracket, so any people you'd like to see added to the list?

Ed Whalen and tons of other territorial announcers. There was one for WCCW who was awful, awful, awful, an ex football guy I think.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ron Trongard was abysmal, but he wouldn't escape the first round. Once WWE starts putting more Philadelphia Spectrum & LA Sports Arena shows on the Network, you'll all know the pain.

I'd also add David Crockett, Matt Striker, WWE Joey Styles, and Mongo McMichael. Lord Alfred Hayes and Gene Okerlund are among the worst announcers I've heard, but they were very part time

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 12, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Art Donovan was not full-time and should not be in the tournament, imo

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Pity nomination for Eric Gargiulo. At least John House had "SOMEONE CALL NINE ONE ONE"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oatgan posted:

Art Donovan was not full-time and should not be in the tournament, imo

Art Donovan was a tragic victim of CTE and the Macho Man's rudeness.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
But seriously Ed Whalen has to be on that list he almost singlehandedly tanked Stampede with his idiocy. (Granted it was more in his role as producer, but they went hand in hand.)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRafTer posted:

But seriously Ed Whalen has to be on that list he almost singlehandedly tanked Stampede with his idiocy. (Granted it was more in his role as producer, but they went hand in hand.)

*Pulls mic away*

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

He only lasted a few months, but Caleb Seltzer (ROH color guy while Corino was kayfabe fired) was one of the worst commentators I've ever heard.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Adamle?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

No hate for Alex Riley yet? Not a lot of NXT fans.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Stevie Ray, Mike Adamle, Mongo.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Herb Abrams

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Stevie Ray, Mike Adamle, Mongo.

You must be nominating some obscure indie or territory guy and not the Stevie Ray I knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gV6rLalaaE

Pure poetry.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When JBL is good, he's good, but when he's bad, I absolutely hate him. I've said this before and I'll say it again, but the problem is when his "gradually getting frustrated with his co-host" gimmick peaks about 2 minutes into the broadcast and never subsides.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Thauros posted:

He only lasted a few months, but Caleb Seltzer (ROH color guy while Corino was kayfabe fired) was one of the worst commentators I've ever heard.

"it's looking to me like Maria's got a case of the jungle fever, Kevin!"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

oatgan posted:

"it's looking to me like Maria's got a case of the jungle fever, Kevin!"

"No Remorse Corpse"

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Huh, I didn't know Macho Man was considered a bad commentator. For me, he's been consistently one of the highlights of the early Raw episodes.

Speaking of Art Donovan, I've been determined to watch King of the Ring '94 in its entirety since reading about him, but unlike most other PPVs, matches from it seem awfully hard to find on YouTube or Dailymotion. I'd rather not subscribe to the WWE Network, but it's looking like that's my only option short of buying a VCR.

Tir McDohl posted:

Rob Bartlett.

It was kind of funny how Vince and Macho Man seemed to legitimately hate him. I almost missed him when he vanished without explanation, but I don't think I could have endured another episode like the Elvis one.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 12, 2014

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Huh, I didn't know Macho Man was considered a bad commentator. For me, he's been consistently one of the highlights of the early Raw episodes.

Speaking of Art Donovan, I've been determined to watch King of the Ring '94 in its entirety since reading about him, but unlike most other PPVs, matches from it seem awfully hard to find on YouTube or Dailymotion. I'd rather not subscribe to the WWE Network, but it's looking like that's my only option short of buying a VCR.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzMzEyMzI=.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzMzEwNjQ=.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzMzE0MTY=.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzMzE3OTY=.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzMzE2Njg=.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzMzIzODA=.html
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzEzMzIyNDA=.html

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Coach was a bloody awful commentator as well...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

No hate for Alex Riley yet? Not a lot of NXT fans.

It took me several episodes to realise it was even a three person team he's so generic.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

MassRafTer posted:

Ed Whalen and tons of other territorial announcers. There was one for WCCW who was awful, awful, awful, an ex football guy I think.

Get hosed. Ed Whalen ruled.

(I grew up on Stampede Wrestling and it absolutely was a RING A DING DONG DANDY. Yes, I know, nostalgia.)

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's easy to name lovely commentators, but who do you guys think are the best ones, especially color and not PBP? The three guys who constantly get praise for great PBP commentary are JR, Lance Russell, and Gordon Solie, but the only major color commentor who almost everyone seems to like is WWF Bobby Heenan.

For a more recent example, I thought Nigel was pretty drat good in ROH and I even kinda like Corino as his replacement even though he can be terrible at times.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

So the WWE just signed KENTA and this is apparently a pretty big deal. However, I know next to nothing about him and I want to get acquainted. Are there any must see matches of his, or even a highlight reel showing the best of what he's done?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So the WWE just signed KENTA and this is apparently a pretty big deal. However, I know next to nothing about him and I want to get acquainted. Are there any must see matches of his, or even a highlight reel showing the best of what he's done?

He invented the GTS and the Running Knee that Daniel Bryan uses. In fact nearly all of CM Punk's early WWE offense was just stuff he nicked from KENTA.

Daniel Bryan Vs KENTA
Low Ki Vs KENTA
Kenta Kobashi Vs KENTA

He's very good at wrestling.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.
Here's something I was mulling over the other day: Vince McMahon has said in lots of interviews how much he dislikes show-offy rich people. So how in the hell is he friends with Donald Trump?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Vince is legitimately insane?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

SirDippingSauce posted:

Here's something I was mulling over the other day: Vince McMahon has said in lots of interviews how much he dislikes show-offy rich people. So how in the hell is he friends with Donald Trump?

They're both cripplingly insane and still think they're men of the people.

Also when he says he hates rich people I think he means he hates Old Money rich people.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Trump also provided venues for many WWF/E pay-per-views.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

Trump also provided venues for many WWF/E pay-per-views.

This isn't really true. Those WrestleManias weren't actually at Trump Plaza. They were next door at the Atlantic City Convention Hall. Trump just gave them money to call it Trump Plaza on TV.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Donald Trump is the least classy rich guy ever. It makes perfect sense they would get along.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The obvious answer is they are kayfabe friends because Vince is a corrupt corporate man and so is Trump.

Kayfabe's not dead.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Thauros posted:

It's easy to name lovely commentators, but who do you guys think are the best ones, especially color and not PBP? The three guys who constantly get praise for great PBP commentary are JR, Lance Russell, and Gordon Solie, but the only major color commentor who almost everyone seems to like is WWF Bobby Heenan.

For a more recent example, I thought Nigel was pretty drat good in ROH and I even kinda like Corino as his replacement even though he can be terrible at times.

Jesse Ventura was an excellent color commentator.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SirDippingSauce posted:

Two guys around the same age who both got rich off their father's fortunes around the same time

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Thauros posted:

Paul Heyman was an excellent color guy with JR during that hot minute where King was gone.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

EugeneJ posted:

Two guys around the same age who both got rich off their father's fortunes around the same time

I mean Vince also says that he hates yes men so clearly he doesn't listen to himself talk anymore.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

EugeneJ posted:

Vince can say that he hasn't gone bankrupt, at least. Trump's gone bankrupt twice? Thrice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghostpilot posted:

Vince can say that he hasn't gone bankrupt, at least.

Yes he did - in the 1970's. He and Linda owed a lot of people money and hosed them all over.