Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Met posted:

On the other hand, it's really cool that I can find specific people/places/events without having to have a copy of the world running legends in the side. I can just ask people where things are and they'll either tell me or guide me. Conversation is my favorite feature so far. It feels a lot more organic than it used to be.

What's the command to climb in Adventure mode?

Press H to grab things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Don't believe in yourself. Believe in the Kamina who believes in you. u suk

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I have found the root cause of the waves of babies appearing in fortress mode.

Not as bad as a mead hall I found where every sentence ended in "Hail Pregnancy"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

I have found the root cause of the waves of babies appearing in fortress mode.

I kept getting this response when searching for a dragon for my quest. The cave was merely on the other side of a mountain range. I wish they NPCs would just say that rather than "inaccessible".

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Just got ambushed by slew my first titan.

Wasn't a hard fight (it's name is something along the lines of "splashes purple saliva" ffs) but still proud nonetheless.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
What was it made of?

ScottyWired
Jan 30, 2014

Wouldn't have a clue.

On my return to civilization I was about to climb a tree to cross a chasm when I was attacked by a grasshopper woman, then dodged into the chasm. :suicide:

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

ScottyWired posted:

Wouldn't have a clue.

On my return to civilization I was about to climb a tree to cross a chasm when I was attacked by a grasshopper woman, then dodged into the chasm. :suicide:

I'm still waiting to dodge being spit at and end up falling to my doom.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Also, you were wearing a giant earthworm leather dress.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Speaking of titans, how do you find them? NPCs only ever give me directions to a zone, not a site. Do I just run around until it ambushes me or what?

After I got tired of searching for a titan on one of my adventurers, I went to a hill dwarf town and found a drinking hillock full of a couple dozen dwarven drunks. I was yelling at them all to surrender when one of them got pissed off (which was my goal) and punched me in the head, knocking me out instantly through my bronze helm. About six others proceeded to descend upon me and start wailing on me. About 30 real-life seconds and dozens of pages of [MORE] later, I succumbed to their drunken fists.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Still no sewer system / poo poo-based weaponry / Poop Men in this update. Disappointed.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Holy poo poo these elves aren't loving around.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I love that historical figures straight up eat each other in some lunatic display of death-metal oneupmanship. I had one world with a human warlord who devoured like sixty people over the course of his extremely violent life.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

scamtank posted:

What a time you should ask - I've actually just finished porting over/trimming the non-working fat from Lepertank. The string patcher's table doesn't have nearly all of the new tokens, but it seems to be safe to use. Not a lot got changed or removed, anyway.

Lepertank 0.4a

Aside from minor extra tweaks to armor, it's got slightly less stuff than the 0.3 version. I didn't include the old changelog, but it's been heavily commented anyway and the critical bits are in - combat/body changes, ModestMod grazer/egg/giant frequency stuff, removed professions and improved honeymaking, removed aquifers and other Limperflush's mineral changes, plant dyes and products, the new dwarf nobles, the lot.

If there's anything that could be wrong, it's that the string patcher template could have some experimental changes in there that I've forgotten about and didn't like that much, but using that thing is voluntary anyway.

e: I almost forgot to mention, this thing is made with ASCII in mind. I can probably wrangle together a Phoebus version sometime later when my head stops throbbing.

Oh, wow, thanks! Shame on you for not having a separate changelog though.

I'm going through the files and reading comments one by one. Can I safely assume that wherever there's no comment, nothing has changed?

Also, scamtank, you must have some kind of super-tweaked dfhack.ini, right? :)

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The things that I didn't bother marking into every creature file were a.) switching TEETH for GENERIC_TEETH so that there's only one biting bodypart instead of four separate independent stabbing implements, b.) dummying out tendons by turning brackets into <> characters and c.) grazer and clutch size changes from ModestMod et al.

But now that you brought it up and I'm poring through the files in WinMerge again, there's a bunch of things I missed, due to originally being detailed in the changelog or something. Shameful. I'll retype an updated version for your perusal.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Angry Diplomat posted:

I love that historical figures straight up eat each other in some lunatic display of death-metal oneupmanship. I had one world with a human warlord who devoured like sixty people over the course of his extremely violent life.

It used to be that only elves could eat other sentient creatures, and it was the general casus belli for the other races exterminating them. I wonder what changed. In adventure mode at least I've found it a good strategy to always grab one companion in the beginning, bring them out into the wilderness, and then kill and butcher them for enough meat to last you at least two or three weeks.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican

This isn't getting enough love. Perfectly executed and hilarious. It's pretty much how I imagine all of these weird buggy stories playing out.

Did someone actually make this? A 3d artist working from scratch?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

pepito sanchez posted:

This isn't getting enough love. Perfectly executed and hilarious. It's pretty much how I imagine all of these weird buggy stories playing out.

Pretty sure it's made in SFM

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

pepito sanchez posted:

It was done in Source Film Maker using assets from Mass Effect, DOTA2 and some other game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I thought I heard a TF2 sound effect in there.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Fuligin posted:

It used to be that only elves could eat other sentient creatures, and it was the general casus belli for the other races exterminating them. I wonder what changed. In adventure mode at least I've found it a good strategy to always grab one companion in the beginning, bring them out into the wilderness, and then kill and butcher them for enough meat to last you at least two or three weeks.

You can harvest leaves and berries from bushes. Some of them are edible and weigh almost nothing at all. I found enough bitter leaf to provid a month's worth of food for less weight than a single meal of meat.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 12, 2014

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there any way to pick up the fruits that fall from trees in fortress mode?

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

How come I can't find this dragon at his lair? Is it a cave or it it suppose to be out and about?

E:
Guess I'll go to this tavern:

Holy poo poo!

Welp, rip.

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 12, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Met posted:

I thought I heard a TF2 sound effect in there.

Fairly sure the sound when the head is squished is the "Howie" scream, the famous scream that isn't the Wilhelm. Also right after that (when the screen flashes white) is a super common sound effect, I think it's the "doom door" sound?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

my dad posted:

You can harvest leaves and berries from bushes. Some of them are edible and weigh almost nothing at all. I found enough bitter leaf to provid a month's worth of food for less weight than a single meal of meat.

Well, sure, I guess. If you don't wanna be a murderous cannibal drifter.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Dwarven hillocks have a dedicated drinking mound. It is a literal hole in the ground.

e:
DRUNKS WILL STILL JOIN YES

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 12, 2014

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

Not strictly Dwarf Fortress, but this video was published today and I feel it's appropriately celebratory of the new release. It's not terrifying, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

Pro click. If you guys aren't all singing along with "diggy diggy hole" while you play DF, you are doing it wrong.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Right, here is the new changelog in friendly pastebin form.

Next I'll detail how exactly the dwarf positions got reshuffled. Ruling nobles from count to king, diplomats and champions are the same. The liaison is now a correspondent and the hammerer got a new superior, but they're otherwise unchanged. The generic history fodder generals, lieutenants and captains were also left as is.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Slade Spires are absolutely massive. They connect into natural cavers that connect into towers outside the spire. There are graves and prisons built into the natural caverns as well. I think I am nearing the spire; I have entered a massive open portion of the spire.

I am at the bottom of the fourth large chamber.

e2

A change has finally occurred. I lost track how many chambers I went down. Probably around 12.

I have entered a new tower, I think, and stairs go up and down without reason. It's very disorienting and I'm not sure how they're supposed to fit together.

e3

e4
My journey may be coming to an end soon.

e6:

Haha, I tried to jump across the chasm to get to the other side and it didn't work. At all.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 12, 2014

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Highway to hell, eh? This might be useful... somehow...

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm still baffled as to why these succubus units in masterwork are wearing battle thongs and corsets and why their descriptions lovingly make note of how soft their breasts are, but otherwise it's a neat civ and isn't as terrifying as it could have been given that they were made by DF nerds

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm still baffled as to why these succubus units in masterwork are wearing battle thongs and corsets and why their descriptions lovingly make note of how soft their breasts are, but otherwise it's a neat civ and isn't as terrifying as it could have been given that they were made by DF nerds

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Here are the noble positions. Jesus, I got carried away with this.

I also noticed that v0.4 has at least four positions looking to get replaced by nonexistent titles. :doh: I'll have to fix that.

hepatizon
Oct 27, 2010

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Cool, now I have a concrete reason not to play Masterwork instead of just a suspicion.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

look, all i'm saying is it could have been much, much worse. let's be real here. also,

hepatizon posted:

Cool, now I have a concrete reason not to play Masterwork instead of just a suspicion.

there's like 5 other civs to play as and they're all pretty fine. the succubus thing added in the latest update is probably the only sketchy bit out of all that masterwork lets you play with, and you can even turn off the bits that you don't care for entirely.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

hepatizon posted:

You can turn them off. Actually, you have to specifically activate them IIRC (EDIT: bad, bad, evil unintentional pun averted).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

on the positive side, they're at least wearing pants as well. i feel like i'm prying open the trapdoor to some decrepit old basement filled with possibly dangerous and gross things but from perusing the included manual as well it doesn't look much more sycophantic that normal dwarf fortress play

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah, Meph is alright. If you want to point fingers, look at the guy who developed the whole succubus civilization from top to bottom on his own and stars in a vaguely uncomfortable self-insert fortress

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Why do my dwarves sit around with no job, even though they have jobs enabled that need to be done? And why can't I put in stairs in certain places?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Meph is just the messenger, yeah. I can legit see why the civ was included in Masterwork, since sketchy bits aside it's technically well-made. Pretty much falls into the category of 'lots of extra bloat that may or may not be a good thing for you' like most everything else in the bundle. If anything, hate on the weird dude putting it together like scamtank pointed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

BlueDestiny posted:

It was done in Source Film Maker using assets from Mass Effect, DOTA2 and some other game.

I love that you used the Pursuer from Dark Souls 2 as the demon.