Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Is it as awesome as the movies have led me to believe?

Nah you don't get the cool green skull cloud :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

can't wait for the fire resistant strains

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jonah Galtberg posted:

can't wait for the fire resistant strains

Polypeptides that could survive a blast furnace would be a big enough discovery that I'd be willing to deal with the superbug.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Platystemon posted:

Every chemist has a story about cleaning out a lab and finding an old bottle of something scary. The better stories involve a visit by the a hazmat team or bomb squad.

I managed a self storage facility for a while. Right before I started we had a unit that belonged to a professor at a local medical university that was being cleaned out by his family after he died. They called the CDC because there were several containers in the unit that were housing live diptheria cultures.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was researching how to dissolve silicone rubber to strip the potting compound out of an electrical module for a car and discovered the best silicone solvents contain something called dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid.

Sounds pretty loving evil, right? Wait, the sodium salt of that big ugly organic ion (dodecylbenzene sulfonate) is used in large quantities to make laundry detergent.

I mean, it is a strong acid because it dissociates quite readily, but I figured it would be some sort of melt-your-face-off cancer of the everything type chemical. Dissolving silicone is no mean task and chemicals with names that ugly are usually pretty bad.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013

kastein posted:

I was researching how to dissolve silicone rubber to strip the potting compound out of an electrical module for a car and discovered the best silicone solvents contain something called dodecylbenzene sulfonic acid.

Sounds pretty loving evil, right? Wait, the sodium salt of that big ugly organic ion (dodecylbenzene sulfonate) is used in large quantities to make laundry detergent.

I mean, it is a strong acid because it dissociates quite readily, but I figured it would be some sort of melt-your-face-off cancer of the everything type chemical. Dissolving silicone is no mean task and chemicals with names that ugly are usually pretty bad.

I never expected to recognise anything technical in this thread, but i've just been liberally spraying Dodecylbenzenesulfonic Acid over my home brewing gear! (+ phosphoric acid = star san sanitiser).

I'm glad it isn't evil. You don't even need to rinse it off your equipment - the yeast eats it once the ph is low enough.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Toxteth OGrady posted:

I never expected to recognise anything technical in this thread, but i've just been liberally spraying Dodecylbenzenesulfonic Acid over my home brewing gear! (+ phosphoric acid = star san sanitiser).

I'm glad it isn't evil. You don't even need to rinse it off your equipment - the yeast eats it once the ph is low enough.

Yeah, all chemicals have evil-sounding names, regardless of their relative toxicity. The big name describes its structure, so that a chemist hearing the name will know exactly what it looks like.

Dodecyl = 12 carbon-long chain CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2-

attached to a benzene ring, which also has a sulfonate (-SO2OH) group attached to it. Due to the presence of the organic group, the acidity of the sulfonic acid is greatly reduced.

Thus the molecule looks like this:

A chemist looking at that structure would recognize it as a detergent immediately. The long carbon chain will dissolve into nonpolar oil, but the highly polar sulfonic acid group will be left out. Polar water molecules can then interact the now-polar oil droplet and keep it in solution.

In a washing machine, this functions to lift oils and grease out of your clothes, there they get flushed down the drain.

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

kastein posted:

For what it's worth, I use Diisopropylamine in the lab to swell silicone-based polymers (PDMS or polydimethylsiloxane.) I'm not sure if that's any less nasty or easier to get than DDBS, but it's always an option if whatever your electrical module is housed in won't dissolve.

I also found that hydrofluoric acid will do some damage to the PDMS given its Si-O bonds, but I don't know if that's the route you want to go down...

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

How do they destroy that sort of stuff without any risk at all? Open the samples in a sealed box filled with a mix of acid and DNA eating enzymes or something?

You don't open them at all. Just let heat conduct through the container and destroy everything.

You could do it in your home oven. Set it in low, pop the package in there, and come back six hours later.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, all chemicals have evil-sounding names, regardless of their relative toxicity. The big name describes its structure, so that a chemist hearing the name will know exactly what it looks like.

Dodecyl = 12 carbon-long chain CH3CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2CH2-

attached to a benzene ring, which also has a sulfonate (-SO2OH) group attached to it. Due to the presence of the organic group, the acidity of the sulfonic acid is greatly reduced.

Thus the molecule looks like this:

A chemist looking at that structure would recognize it as a detergent immediately. The long carbon chain will dissolve into nonpolar oil, but the highly polar sulfonic acid group will be left out. Polar water molecules can then interact the now-polar oil droplet and keep it in solution.

In a washing machine, this functions to lift oils and grease out of your clothes, there they get flushed down the drain.

Actually, if you were describing it fully, you'd want to call it para-dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid or 1,4-dodecylbenzensulfonic acid, I think. It's been a while since my last organic chemistry class, so I'm not sure which is correct.

EDIT: All chemicals having evil-sounding names explains why people fall for the dihydrogen monoxide hoax all the time.

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos
There's gotta be some chemicals with nice sounding names.

It wouldn't quite count because it's a mixture and a colloquial name to boot, but aqua regia sounds nice. Aqua Regia...it could be a fancy brand name bottled water, except for it being the only thing that will dissolve your gold fillings as well as your mouth parts if you were dumb enough to drink it, then produce chlorine gas once it reaches the stomach.

Naphthalene has a nice ring to it too (edit: pun totally unintentional). It eats your blood and probably causes cancer, and we had a kid in school who was violently allergic to it, but it's a fun word to say. "Aromatic hydrocarbons" as a group sounds like a bunch of chemicals that might be pleasant to be around, but deserves an evil sounding name more than most chemical groupings. Maybe "marrow munching kidney killers"?

IronClaymore has a new favorite as of 17:04 on Jul 12, 2014

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

If I have a girl I'm going to name her Aniline.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Diabetes By Sundown posted:

What if it's a boy? All I can think of is Benzene.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

What if it's a boy? All I can think of is Benzene.

Calomel or Dextrose might work. Perhaps Gypsum.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Tannin

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

My granddaddy was in Africa during WW2 as a driver of medical supplies. He says he adopted a stray dog as a buddy on the long journeys. He called her Quinine, as he says the anti-malarial drugs were the thing the army doctors were most grateful to see when they unloaded his lorry. (Well, that, and the alcohol and cigarettes he was also transporting, but calling the doggy "Illegally Accquired Beer" would have probably ticked off his superior officers. My granddaddy was something of a scamp in his army days :3:)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
I know a guy who named his daughter Lexanna, after the plastic lexan. I guess he was hoping for a boy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Best chemical name is Housane.

(Although the full name is the much-less-whimsical Bicyclo[2.1.0]pentane)

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Here's a pretty good list of some funny structures. Squaric acid, and fenestrane are brilliant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chemical_compounds_with_unusual_names

Adamantane is one of my favourite cool looking molecules.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crapinon is the best. It's an anticholinergic drug and one of the side effects is constipation.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

IronClaymore posted:

There's gotta be some chemicals with nice sounding names.

Phenolphthalein was always a favorite of mine, sounds like something out of a Tolkien book.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Wait got it, "here are my twins; L-Alanine and R-Alanine".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Vitamins posted:

Here's a pretty good list of some funny structures. Squaric acid, and fenestrane are brilliant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_chemical_compounds_with_unusual_names

Ah, good old Al2Si2O5(OH)4.

Also known as Dickite.

:mmmhmm:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

shabbat goy
Oct 4, 2008

In that same vein:

http://www.nsti.org/procs/Nanotech2014v3/4/W5.717

I get that CNT is taken by carbon nanotubes, but why did none of the reviewers send this publication back for revision with the comment "seriously, pick a different acronym"

They aren't the only ones to do it, either...

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Fucknag posted:

Ah, good old Al2Si2O5(OH)4.

Also known as Dickite.

:mmmhmm:

If you've never seen cummingtonite in the field I don't know what to tell you

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

My high school chemistry teacher's graduate school supervisor apparently had twin daughters named Esther and Ethel.

I wonder if his wife caught on?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

My high school chemistry teacher's graduate school supervisor apparently had twin daughters named Esther and Ethel.

I wonder if his wife caught on?

Were they born any time after the 1940's? If so yes.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

In that same vein:

http://www.nsti.org/procs/Nanotech2014v3/4/W5.717

I get that CNT is taken by carbon nanotubes, but why did none of the reviewers send this publication back for revision with the comment "seriously, pick a different acronym"

They aren't the only ones to do it, either...

The two papers I've seen that talk about copper nanotubes are by Chinese authors and Brazilian (that one) authors respectively. So, the authors put in the acronym they felt was appropriate, and it's not the reviewers' place to tell them what to use, it's to say whether or not their science is solid.

edit: actually, turns out it was just Chinese researchers that originally named them, (PDF link here) and if you discover/create it, you name it.

edit edit:

This made my inner 14-year-old chuckle.

Memento has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Jul 13, 2014

IronClaymore
Jun 30, 2010

by Athanatos

Vitamins posted:

There are proteins named after pikachu and sonic? I would have thought biologists would be among the least likely of all scientists to be on the spectrum.

I forgot about cubane, that's a fun and aptly named molecule. Such a long synthesis path though.

Edit:
vvv
Wow. Now I'm wondering about the correlation/causation side. Does having too much of the sonic hedgehog protein increase your likelihood of developing a disorder that makes people more likely to have an unhealthy obsession with sonic, or does having a disorder that causes you to have an unhealthy obsession with sonic also cause your levels of the sonic hedgehog protein to increase?

IronClaymore has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Jul 15, 2014

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

IronClaymore posted:

There are proteins named after pikachu and sonic? I would have thought biologists would be among the least likely of all scientists to be on the spectrum.

I forgot about cubane, that's a fun and aptly named molecule. Such a long synthesis path though.

The sonic protein has been linked to autism. I am not kidding.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think it's fun to say acetylsalicylic acid.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Shifty Nipples posted:

Trinitrotoluene just rolls off the tongue.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I can't remember if this has been posted, but it's some cool poo poo. A chart of organic compounds and their smells. Some of them may be familiar to you if you've ever worked in a lab before. The ones that really fit in this thread are those that smell "ethereal" or just straight up have a skull. If you smell those, you will die and probably be in no condition to tell anyone what they smelled like as you expire.

One of those "cool science things" that is fascinating to almost anyone even if they don't know wtf they're reading.

I love the out-of-place ones that pop up in some columns, completely unrelated to similar compounds.

edit: the -anoic acid column is my favorite. Vinegar, rancid butter, digusting, goats, rancid, goats, goats, wax and nutmeg. :pwn:

WITCHCRAFT has a new favorite as of 06:31 on Jul 15, 2014

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

p-hop posted:

I can't remember if this has been posted, but it's some cool poo poo. A chart of organic compounds and their smells. Some of them may be familiar to you if you've ever worked in a lab before. The ones that really fit in this thread are those that smell "ethereal" or just straight up have a skull. If you smell those, you will die and probably be in no condition to tell anyone what they smelled like as you expire.

One of those "cool science things" that is fascinating to almost anyone even if they don't know wtf they're reading.

I love the out-of-place ones that pop up in some columns, completely unrelated to similar compounds.

edit: the -anoic acid column is my favorite. Vinegar, rancid butter, digusting, goats, rancid, goats, goats, wax and nutmeg. :pwn:

This is what always fascinated me about organic and biochemistry, especially the -anoic acid column you mention. What could possibly be the physiological reason for that massive difference in smells and pleasantness along the molecule length? Different levels of olfactory stimulation? I have no loving clue because I'm not well-versed in that area but it is a drat fascinating subject.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

IronClaymore posted:

Go spend a chunk of time around geneticists, they'll disabuse you of that notion pretty quickly :v:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Shifty Nipples posted:

My favorite one is "succinylcholine."

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Ladderane compounds are bizarre, the ring strain must be huge.

They are actually found in nature in anammox bacteria which turn nitrite and ammonium into N2. Relevant here because an intermediate in this process is hydrazine, otherwise known as rocket fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The sonic protein has been linked to autism. I am not kidding.

Don't forget the signalling inhibitor of the Hedgehog pathway Robotnikinin

Scientists are all nerds.