Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
And you should be able to do shared-nothing vmotion with the VM running if you:
a) are running 5.5
b) are using the web GUI. It doesn't allow it from the thick client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

adorai posted:

Why does he disable the serial and parallel port in the bios instead of just deleting them from the VM? Seems like a waste for the hypervisor to emulate them just to disable them.

It wastes more time to do it that way, and more effort is obviously better.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

It's a 6 year old blog post.

Almost as if it was made for a nearly 6 year old OS. Don't get me wrong 2012 has some awesome stuff but it's adoption rate is less than moderate.

Serfer posted:

So maybe one good piece of advice (indexing), a whole bunch of OCD stuff, and two pieces of bad advice (disable firewall and ipv6).

Hypervisor level AV/FW's own, not a fan for turning off the windows stuff but if you are already doing FW/AV on the hypervisor level what purpose does these OS FW serve?

adorai posted:

Why does he disable the serial and parallel port in the bios instead of just deleting them from the VM? Seems like a waste for the hypervisor to emulate them just to disable them.

gently caress if I know, never really asked that. I should look into it more.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 13, 2014

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
I can guarantee most of you did things differently 6 years ago. Virtualization was still fairly new in 2008. Critiquing and/or using a 6 year old blog post is really dumb.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

three posted:

Critiquing and/or using a 6 year old blog post is really dumb.

I'll give it to you that using a blog post for a old OS when 12 R2 is out is dubm but MS hasn't changed the core much since 09.

I mean seriously what's the percentage of the adaptation rate of 2012? I'd like to admit it's above a 2012 domain structure but I doubt it.'

PS: PVS sucks,Studio/Director, and citrix in general blows. This is a garbage product compared to view. I honeslty do not know how people can defend citrix desktop unless they are locked into old mentality of desktop delivery systems...

I mean poo poo it "works" but only if you want to be someone who uses out of date architectures....

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sure, I'll take the bait from the guy arguing you should tweak Windows 2008 R2 for virtualization... What is the equivalent of PVS in the View world that works better?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Sure, I'll take the bait from the guy arguing you should tweak Windows 2008 R2 for virtualization... What is the equivalent of PVS in the View world that works better?

There is no equivalent because linked clones reduce so much since SSD's exist. Linked clones on SSD and delta's on own, they serve the best of both worlds.

Maybe because you want to lower complexity and not rely on some PXE bullshit? Or if you are silo''ing you environment not rely on relays for TFTP or PXE. Just silot and not factor in un-needed dependencies.

also I am only saying 2008 R2 because the slow adoption rate of 2012X;

Also you should always try to tweak any OS to the best you can for any virtual environment; not matter how small; you can script it and save your customer/client valuable IOPS and perform improvement games as needed.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 13, 2014

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Been a while since I worked with both but PVS can load the whole image into memory, eliminating any IOPs from frequently reading the image. In one part of your post you say with SSDs it doesn't matter, then the next you say you should tweak for every last IOP. What is it? And what are these tweaks you do on Windows 2008 R2? People have asked several times.

And reducing reliance on PXE to reduce complexity? Really? How often do you have issues with PXE?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Internet Explorer posted:

Been a while since I worked with both but PVS can load the whole image into memory, eliminating any IOPs from frequently reading the image.
It can only if you tune the PVS servers to account for this read image IO.

quote:

In one part of your post you say with SSDs it doesn't matter, then the next you say you should tweak for every last IOP.
I was speaking on traditional Spindle storage vs flash. I could be wrong but I think I was talking about traditional storage.

quote:

What is it? And what are these tweaks you do on Windows 2008 R2? People have asked several times.
Like I've posted; I see what is the best for the server and choose what is best.

quote:

And reducing reliance on PXE to reduce complexity? Really? How often do you have issues with PXE?

How does not relying on Option 66/67, and TFTP not reduce complexity?

three
Aug 9, 2007

You do not have to use PXE or TFTP with PVS. You can easily use BDM, and XenDesktop since 7 has had it built in to set it up for you super easily in the wizard. I always recommend going the BDM route. Not sure how to refute your points on Citrix without some kind of example. Things XenDesktop has that View does not: layering (personal vDisk), profile management that is integrated into the product, Citrix Director for help desk usage to shadow and manage desktops, multiple deployment technologies (MCS is actually more efficient than Linked Clones), supports RDS in a less than bare bones manner (PVS/MCS both support deployment of server, View can't manage server deployment), Universal Print Driver/Server, ability to redirect client drives into the session, vGPU support, better Powershell integration, XenClient (not personally a fan), integration with SCCM, better separation of components, etc. etc.

Regarding PVS, it does lower IOPS requirements; however, I personally am a proponent of using AFA setups... and to take it a step even further, I hate non-persistent. It's a terrible schema developed because storage couldn't adequately cope back in the day. NP is not better operationally or for user experience. Use an AFA with Dedupe/Compression and either Persistent full desktops or layered desktops (e.g. Unidesk/CloudVolumes). PVS is great if you have bad storage, but it's becoming a dinosaur. CItrix knows this as well, and you'll see a PVS 2.0 soon that merges with MCS for best of both world. PVS is still the fastest and most efficient way to apply updates at scale.

The problem is that most Citrix dudes still do things the old way, so if you don't take the time to learn the new ways, you'll think Citrix is old and bad. Most Citrix admins (and to extend, most people in IT at all) are bad at their job.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I agree 100% about that. Citrix definitely doesn't do themselves any favors in that department. They can't do consistency to save their lives.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
For something completely random, I've ran 3DMark on my system to see how much difference Hyper-V makes, since I've read complaints about up to 50% framerate difference versus running without (complainers seemed to own almost exclusively ATI cards, tho). The difference pretty much falls within what I consider an error margin (of 2%).

In case you were wondering how it may affect your personal computer for gaming, especially since some WinPho developer guys in this forum were complaining, too...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hR5KmiLMZ2ZcH6iINESeXENjtGs58Q1YfBsLIjzj444/edit?usp=sharing

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Hypervisor level AV/FW's own, not a fan for turning off the windows stuff but if you are already doing FW/AV on the hypervisor level what purpose does these OS FW serve?

What percentage of 2008r2 VMs would you say are running on ESXi hosts with a hypervisor firewall of any kind?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

There are applications that will flip out if the Windows Firewall is not running. So just set it to Allow/Allow and you're good.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Using traditional tools and letting the security/windows teams manage their own poo poo. Not joking. Hypervisor-level stuff is great for VDI and a few other use cases, but it's not even close to one-size-fits-all

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I'm looking to import a couple of virtual box Vms and a xen flat file disk image based vm into esxi. What's the best tool for converting the disk images to a VMware compatible format ?

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
How many of you are using the vCenter appliance? It's time to go from 5.1 to 5.5 and we are debating if we should make the switch to it (and just keep a Windows box around for VUM).

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

jre posted:

I'm looking to import a couple of virtual box Vms and a xen flat file disk image based vm into esxi. What's the best tool for converting the disk images to a VMware compatible format ?

I've had god luck with Starwind Converter for image format conversions.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

TeMpLaR posted:

How many of you are using the vCenter appliance? It's time to go from 5.1 to 5.5 and we are debating if we should make the switch to it (and just keep a Windows box around for VUM).

Using it for our internal infrastructure. I haven't had too many issues with it at all. Even the upgrade from 5.1 to 5.5 was pretty straightforward.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

TeMpLaR posted:

We are at 5.0 U3 right now and are going to be moving to 5.5 U1 in ~2 weeks. 80 hosts/3500VMs.

Part of this is changing out our old Oracle db-backed Windows 2008 vCenter for the vCSA. Since it is Oracle, we can upgrade vCenter, power it down, bring up a fresh vCSA, point it to the existing DB, and supposedly all just *works*.

Went seamlessly in test and VMware says it should be good. That said, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit worried... I guess ask me how life is in 3 weeks :D

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

TeMpLaR posted:

We are, and I am not sure if I am happy with it. At times, it sucks down over 1k IOPS for 10 hosts and around 600 VMs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm pretty happy with VCSA 5.5 managing our 20-odd ESXi hosts, but then again I am comparing it to the sheer agony of having managed 20-odd ESXi hosts by hand, before VCSA so I'm kind of biased.

One thing of note is that it doesn't look as if you can install vCenter Update Manager on VCSA since it's a Windows app. You'll need to go through and create a separate windows area for update manager to live and then you can tie that into VCSA. I'm not sure what the best practices were for install update manager on a vCenter server anyway so I can't comment.

It's worth noting that, for me, the Web UI is still ridiculously slow and buggy so I use the thick client exclusively. I'm sure there are people out there who prefer the Web UI, but I can honestly say I haven't met any.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

There are many ways depending on what kind of environment you run but these guides are pretty good:

http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX131577
http://jeremywaldrop.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/how-to-build-a-windows-2008-vmware-esx-vm-template/ (don't agree with the 64MB video card 16/32 works well, but whatever)

It's not the biggest thing in the world as IOPS are more plentiful but for solid disk arrays that have only Controller cache, it's a minor annoyance at least to me.

Trivial DNS did cross my mind but I didn't want network team/others to freak out when I fire up a DNSVM to get past the option. I'm going to dig more into it this weekend see if I can bypass it.

Got to "disable the firewall", stopped reading. Most of that stuff is horseshit.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Still waiting to hear what mysterious "depends on the client" Windows 2008 R2 tweaks we're supposed to be making.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

The vSphere Web Client is terribly slow and clunky. It's to the point now where I use the thick client for everything I can and use PowerShell for the rest

I can't honestly believe anyone thought it was ready for production use.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When you open a console for a VM, is it normal to get a black screen that only reveals when you click into it?

I've been using right click, but I always worry that I'll accidentally select the "self-destruct" button.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When you open a console for a VM, is it normal to get a black screen that only reveals when you click into it?

I've been using right click, but I always worry that I'll accidentally select the "self-destruct" button.

When that happens for me it's usually that the VM has turned the "monitor" off and activity wakes it back up. It's the windows power saving settings, usually.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Doing some testing on my own computer before a live implementation...

It's an odd sight...

orange sky
May 7, 2007

angus725 posted:

Doing some testing on my own computer before a live implementation...

It's an odd sight...

idgi

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

First time working with VMs with little IT background. Lot of new stuff quite quickly.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

angus725 posted:

First time working with VMs with little IT background. Lot of new stuff quite quickly.

Oh! Have fun then :). It's a huge, very fun world. Virtualization brought us good stuff.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Coming soon for you, that moment when you realize your home lab is both more up to date, and follows more best practices, than your production environment.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Number19 posted:

The vSphere Web Client is terribly slow and clunky. It's to the point now where I use the thick client for everything I can and use PowerShell for the rest

I can't honestly believe anyone thought it was ready for production use.

Lots of engineers at VMware have been yelling about this for a few years. There was a thread about it in the VMware forums that finally got traction. With the VMware release cycle length, it should only take a few years to get it cleaned up.

There were actually little posters around VMware a year ago encouraging engineers to use the web client. Most of them ended up with graffiti saying stuff like "It sucks" or "Too slow." You think this would have been a sign that it was not great, but it was ignored. Many of us use workstation and the command line stuff.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I actually like the web client, I mean it's poo poo in IE<any version> but works well in any modern chrome or firefox version

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

I actually like the web client, I mean it's poo poo in IE<any version> but works well in any modern chrome or firefox version

I like the idea of a web client. I don't like how it was executed. It is slow, and a pain to get setup. It is not a good solution for managing a single ESX machine either.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are there any real drawbacks to using PVSCSI and VMXNET3 over their emulated counterparts anymore? I remember there was a big hoo-haw about PVSCSI back in the day, but I'm not sure if that's still relevant.

I've been deploying a few servers with both PVSCSI and VMXNET3 and haven't had any issues, but I don't know if there are any caveats to be concerned about.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Are there any real drawbacks to using PVSCSI and VMXNET3 over their emulated counterparts anymore? I remember there was a big hoo-haw about PVSCSI back in the day, but I'm not sure if that's still relevant.

I've been deploying a few servers with both PVSCSI and VMXNET3 and haven't had any issues, but I don't know if there are any caveats to be concerned about.

Always do VMXNET3. Do PVSCSI if you need a lot of storage performance.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I always use both unless there's a specific compatibility reason listed by a vendor. The only minor hassle is with PVSCSI and Windows and you can solve that by building your template with it and attaching the floppy during the template installation.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

DevNull posted:

Lots of engineers at VMware have been yelling about this for a few years. There was a thread about it in the VMware forums that finally got traction. With the VMware release cycle length, it should only take a few years to get it cleaned up.

There were actually little posters around VMware a year ago encouraging engineers to use the web client. Most of them ended up with graffiti saying stuff like "It sucks" or "Too slow." You think this would have been a sign that it was not great, but it was ignored. Many of us use workstation and the command line stuff.

I'm a big fan of it randomly deciding to refresh the entire VM list and spend a long time "locating <vm>" which has nothing at all to do with what I was working on. Then when it's done it selects a completely different VM from the one I had selected and takes me to the Monitoring tab.

I am using Chrome on a machine with lots of RAM and an SSD and it's still Real Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

I use the PVSCSI at any chance I can, it's not a huge improvement over the defaults unless you hit high IO loads but eh.. Every bit helps.