Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AshB
Sep 16, 2007
I'm surprised people still believe that Tenzin's gonna do something awesome. Personally, I've kind of accepted that he's just not that great. If he does something impressive now, I'll be left wondering, "Why didn't you do this, you know, every other time in the series when poo poo hit the fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

AshB posted:

I'm surprised people still believe that Tenzin's gonna do something awesome. Personally, I've kind of accepted that he's just not that great. If he does something impressive now, I'll be left wondering, "Why didn't you do this, you know, every other time in the series when poo poo hit the fan?

I don't know, I think the show is really building up a fight between Tenzin and Zaheer. Both airbenders, both students of airbender philosophy, but ultimately opposites (Korra's ultimate guardian vs her ultimate enemy, traditional circular vs combative, direct airbending, etc).

Granted this may just be me reading between lines that don't exist, but the fact is we have a golden opportunity for the first pure airbender vs airbender duel in the entire series, and if they miss that chance I'll be mad as hell.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I love how the villains this season are like an evil version of the Gaang-- you have your airbending leader and then a bending prodigy with a rare skill for each element, traveling the world on an exciting quest.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Zaheer is also bald

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

AshB posted:

For once, I agree with this dude.

Also, the metal city was gorgeous. I think this was arguably the most beautiful episode yet.

It was gorgeous, but my first instinct was to twitch when I thought about how hot everything must be to the touch there. Especially with those parabolic mirror-like 'petals'. It reminded me of this thing, or this one.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
One of the things that made this probably the most beautiful episode of the season was the glaring lack of CGI.

Also the modern art black sheep kid made me laugh, as overused as the joke is in general.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

First Bass posted:

Also :drat: Zaofu is some space-age poo poo. I'm going to feel really bad when the Fearsome Four start wrecking it.
Its kind of amazing how the world has advanced from the Feudal Age to retro-futurist 1920s Age, but then again being able to manipulate metal lead to some amazing leaps in technology.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

ImpAtom posted:

Katara specifically said he passed away. She mentioned it in the first episode. He died sometime after they locked up Zaheer's gang (since he was part of the group that took them down the first time) so it within Korra's lifetime but he died.

drat I'm going to have to re watch it, I don't remember that at all

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Aces High posted:

I'm sorry that sounds kind of bitter but watching all of these characters that have been labelled as "the best benders of their generation" being punked by what should be emaciated prisoners that have not been able to exercise their powers for years just feels really stupid and poorly thought out.

Yeah, one thing I liked about the original series was that if a really old dude showed up, you knew he was going to be awesome. I feel like a lot of the older characters in Korra exist just to get beaten up on to show how powerful the villains are. A lot of that might be because they've switched to a "the villains are always 18 steps ahead of the heroes" style of plot for Korra. Poor Tenzin gets the worst of it.

I really want this season to end with Zuko, Katara, and Toph reuniting to fight their respective counterparts in the Evil Gaang.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The vagina tattooed on my forehead isn't intimidating enough.

What if we tattoo an rear end in a top hat right below it?

Perfect.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

meristem posted:

It was gorgeous, but my first instinct was to twitch when I thought about how hot everything must be to the touch there. Especially with those parabolic mirror-like 'petals'. It reminded me of this thing, or this one.

Living there during thunderstorms is probably the worst. One lightning bolt is all it'd take.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

achillesforever6 posted:

Its kind of amazing how the world has advanced from the Feudal Age to retro-futurist 1920s Age, but then again being able to manipulate metal lead to some amazing leaps in technology.

The series was not really in a "feudal age" during the original series, technology wise. The fire nation had tanks, steamboats and giant mechanic drills. It was much closer to the 19th century and just unevenly spread.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 12, 2014

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This season has been really good so far. I was disappointed in S2 as a whole but this has been incredible stuff and as good as Last Airbender, I think.

FriedDijaaj
Feb 15, 2012

Android Blues posted:

This season has been really good so far. I was disappointed in S2 as a whole but this has been incredible stuff and as good as Last Airbender, I think.

I wholeheartedly agree.

On a related note, Henry Rollins' delivery is fantastic.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
I don't thing the Gaang took out the Fearsome Four. Tenzin said something like, "when we found the avatar (bad Airbender guy] came after her to kidnap her". Then it was Implied it was her dad and the white lotus that took them down.

Also, can we discuss previews? Am I the only one who saw *HUGE SPOILER*

:siren:

loving mother loving Korra metal bending? This is all I want, an avatar special bending, let's get this poo poo going!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I really like this city of bending scholars. Shame it will inevitably be destroyed!

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

It's at least probable that Korra's going to get kicked out of this town as well.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Deep Winter posted:

I don't thing the Gaang took out the Fearsome Four. Tenzin said something like, "when we found the avatar (bad Airbender guy] came after her to kidnap her". Then it was Implied it was her dad and the white lotus that took them down.

What he said was: "Luckily, your father, Lord Zuko, Chief Sokka and I were there to stop them."

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

What he said was: "Luckily, your father, Lord Zuko, Chief Sokka and I were there to stop them."
Well obviously Sokka stopped Combustion Gal with his trusty boomerang. And Tonraq took out Zahir, which wasn't really that impressive since he wasn't a bender at the time.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lavabending makes sense because waterbenders can change the state of water pretty much at will, so why not earthbenders?

The Earth Queen should have probably hired lava guy to teach the Dai Li.

Also, I'm enjoying Book 3 way more than Book 2.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Throwing my speculation into the mix, I think that Lin's sister did something decently evil in the past, which probably gave her the means to create the awesome metal city. Lin found out about it and left in disgust.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the heck the actual reason for the rift is though. There's no way that it's just Lin being mean for no reason.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^I'm partial to the theory that she regrets not following her sister's path. Tenzin said in season one that the whole reason they broke up was that Lin didn't want a family, while Tenzin specifically needed one to carry on the air nomads. Lin got over Tenzin himself, but still regrets not having a family, and seeing her sister's big, perfect, happy family is a constant reminder of what Lin could have had. That's why Lin cries when Korra tells her she'll always be bitter and alone at the end of the episode.

Wow that fight between Mako, Bolin and the Dai Li was impressive.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Well obviously Sokka stopped Combustion Gal with his trusty boomerang. And Tonraq took out Zahir, which wasn't really that impressive since he wasn't a bender at the time.

To be fair, they built Zaheer a super prison despite not being a bender, and Zuko specifically said that he, like the others, was capable of defeating "any bender" even before he got his airbending. So don't be so quick to count out the impressiveness of Zaheer's capture.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 12, 2014

Electric Crayon
Jul 20, 2004

Oh, it's you!

thexerox123 posted:

Speculation: The Fearsome Four killed Aang with the intent of capturing the new Avatar and twisting her to their wicked ways. Aang's death brought together his old compatriots to defend baby Korra and for revenge. Now released, the Fearsome Four seek to repeat their past efforts.

Unless I missed something where they mentioned Aang dying of tuberculosis or whatever.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

FriedDijaaj posted:

I wholeheartedly agree.

On a related note, Henry Rollins' delivery is fantastic.
Hahah they made Zaheer look just like him, though now knowing Henry Rollins is voicing him I'm sad he isn't like Mad Stan. :smith:

NowonSA posted:

Throwing my speculation into the mix, I think that Lin's sister did something decently evil in the past, which probably gave her the means to create the awesome metal city. Lin found out about it and left in disgust.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the heck the actual reason for the rift is though. There's no way that it's just Lin being mean for no reason.
Well she did say that she went with a bunch of pirates before joining a circus.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jul 12, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sydin posted:

Wow that fight between Mako, Bolin and the Dai Li was impressive.

I always like the sequences of the brothers fighting, they make a point to show them working as a team rather than two people fighting alongside one another. In that sequence Mako makes them dodge to the left, which is right where Bolin's shot goes as he leaps over Mako. I'd bet the reason these fights are always so short is because scripting something like this is more involved, but they are always worth seeing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Electric Crayon posted:

Speculation: The Fearsome Four killed Aang with the intent of capturing the new Avatar and twisting her to their wicked ways. Aang's death brought together his old compatriots to defend baby Korra and for revenge. Now released, the Fearsome Four seek to repeat their past efforts.

Unless I missed something where they mentioned Aang dying of tuberculosis or whatever.

There's been nothing stated directly in the show, but Mike and Bryan have gone on record saying that Aang died of natural causes in his 60's because he was still technically aging while frozen in the iceberg, which shortened his lifespan once he got out.

Edit: To be fair though like I said this is what the creators have said, the show has been silent on the topic. So if they wanted to retcon themselves and have Aang murdered by Zaheer and co. they could do it with minimal hassle.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 12, 2014

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Fried Chicken posted:

I always like the sequences of the brothers fighting, they make a point to show them working as a team rather than two people fighting alongside one another. In that sequence Mako makes them dodge to the left, which is right where Bolin's shot goes as he leaps over Mako. I'd bet the reason these fights are always so short is because scripting something like this is more involved, but they are always worth seeing.

Mako and Bolin fights are always great, for that exact reason. They also both use slightly different styles of their respective bending then is traditional, which is neat, on top of the brotherly synergy.

Honestly, the fights so far this season have all been really loving awesome. They're a big part of why I'm pumped for more.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Deep Winter posted:

Also, can we discuss previews? Am I the only one who saw *HUGE SPOILER*

:siren:

loving mother loving Korra metal bending? This is all I want, an avatar special bending, let's get this poo poo going!

Remember when all we wanted was for Bolin to be taken under Lin's wing and taught how to metal bend? I still want that :smith:

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Korra doing that Avatar shieldsphere with all the elements and subelements (earth (metal/lava), fire (lightning/heat), air (spirits? it's unclear), water (ice/steam/spirit valium/bloodbent bodies) is going to be awesome.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

hiddenriverninja posted:

Korra doing that Avatar shieldsphere with all the elements and subelements (earth (metal/lava), fire (lightning/heat), air (spirits? it's unclear), water (ice/steam/spirit valium/bloodbent bodies) is going to be awesome.

So this?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm still waiting for a waterbender to cast horrid wilting on somebody.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
When Aang/Katara's daughter was fighting Big Bad Airbender, all I could think was, "Bloodbend! You know when your mom taught you it and said only use in emergencies? An evil Airbender wanting to kidnap and rape-murder the reincarnation of your father is absolutely that sort of emergency!"

Also, I can't remember anyone's names.

Also also, I so want Aang to spirit form in front of Lin and give her a talking to. Uncle Avatar ain't taking no attitude! Don't make me air spank you like when you were a girl!

Also also also, Toph is so going to appear, and it's gonna be amazing.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Deep Winter posted:

When Aang/Katara's daughter was fighting Big Bad Airbender, all I could think was, "Bloodbend! You know when your mom taught you it and said only use in emergencies? An evil Airbender wanting to kidnap and rape-murder the reincarnation of your father is absolutely that sort of emergency!"

Also, I can't remember anyone's names.

Also also, I so want Aang to spirit form in front of Lin and give her a talking to. Uncle Avatar ain't taking no attitude! Don't make me air spank you like when you were a girl!

Also also also, Toph is so going to appear, and it's gonna be amazing.

I did like that she had the two rotating rings of water, reminiscent of Aang's Avatar state at the end of the finale. Come to think of it, Tenzin's airbending technique that earned him the title of master was also a spinning ring.

Aang's kids likes their rings.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

tribbledirigible posted:

I did like that she had the two rotating rings of water, reminiscent of Aang's Avatar state at the end of the finale. Come to think of it, Tenzin's airbending technique that earned him the title of master was also a spinning ring.

Aang's kids likes their rings.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Deep Winter posted:

Gonna need evidence of a full moon first.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Gonna need evidence of a full moon first.

Yeah, even if Katara taught her to bloodbend, only Yakone and his kids could do it all the time.

i hate meatloaf
May 23, 2010

Fried Chicken posted:

Agreed. I'm really enjoying their brotherly dynamic in general this season. They've had more brother-moments in these last 5 episodes than in all of the past two books.

I've gotta respect Bryke for being willing to show their previous heroes' failings as parents. It's realistic that Aang's duties as the Avatar would take him away from his family, and it's totally in character that Toph would give her kids too much freedom and not enough structure.

I assume Zaheer's goal on the island (if Korra wasn't there) was figuring out that astral projection technique to track her down. That locket said something like "Let go of the Earth, enter the void, and become the wind." Sounds like what Jinora did, and her projecting and finding Kai seems to be a set up to explain how the villains will find Korra.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

i hate meatloaf posted:

I assume Zaheer's goal on the island (if Korra wasn't there) was figuring out that astral projection technique to track her down. That locket said something like "Let go of the Earth, enter the void, and become the wind." Sounds like what Jinora did, and her projecting and finding Kai seems to be a set up to explain how the villains will find Korra.

:stare: poo poo, I didn't even think of this. Jinora even said that the astral projection thing was "a high level airbending technique, with a little spiritual stuff thrown in." Honestly the whole "40 years untethered from the Earth" story could be that the Guru went spirit projecting and never came back.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zaofu's gleaming art deco lotus design is spectacular and it reminds me of Metropolis in a big way. Keeping guys like Varrick and that "truth-seer" Aiwei around makes me wonder what other sinister secrets are under that utopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Guess we've found the shady authority-figure Korra's going to trust over a reliable mentor this season, anyway.

• Locked thread