Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Or plug the router in if you have it, it'll still give you a local network without internet access (if you just mean you've cancelled internets while you move)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

baka kaba posted:

Or plug the router in if you have it, it'll still give you a local network without internet access (if you just mean you've cancelled internets while you move)

If you travel a lot and need wifi in hotels, something like this is perfect:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Multi-Mo...sus+mini+router

You can use as a USB ethernet port for your laptop or connect to an ethernet jack at a hotel and make your wifi hotspot (you'll need a USB power adapter as well, but your phone charger would work). You can also connect it to your laptop to give your self a second wifi adapter, and then use internet connection sharing to connect one wifi to the hotel wifi and the other becomes a hotspot for your devices. In all these scenarios, the MAC address of something else becomes the MAC the authentication portal catches, so you can pass it and all the other devices behind it get a free ride.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Toebone posted:

Is there a way to get the iOS emojis on Android? I'm on a Galaxy S4 and using SwiftKey.

Depending on the app as well, some will replace the Android emoji with iOS ones. I think Textra does it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

robodex posted:

Depending on the app as well, some will replace the Android emoji with iOS ones. I think Textra does it.

Yea Textra does. That's the app I use.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

robodex posted:

Whatsapp also uses iOS emoji

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Haven't tried it, but there is an app to enable chromecast screen casting on (most) rooted devices:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/11/xda-developer-finds-a-way-to-enable-screen-casting-on-most-rooted-devices/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/experimental-enable-mirroring-device-t2812193

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

bronin posted:

Whatsapp also uses iOS emoji

Yeah, that too. Keep in mind if you go into the Android keyboard's emoji (rather than whatsapp's/textra's built-in emoji selector) it'll show the Android ones, but it'll convert them to the iOS ones when you select them.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Is there any app similar to "chrome to phone" except that it actually works?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

peepsalot posted:

Chrome natively syncs tabs across devices.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

peepsalot posted:

In Chrome on your phone, tap new tab and then tap the folder with the up and down arrows in the bottom right.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

peepsalot posted:

Pushbullet lets you easily and quickly send links between your browser and your phone.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there an application which can disable the LED at certain times?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Light flow does this

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

In Chrome on your phone, tap new tab and then tap the folder with the up and down arrows in the bottom right.

OK I can see visited links from my laptop at home, but not my browser on my work computer. How do you link your device to your browser. Does it only work with 1 google account at a time? I use a different google mail to sign in at work.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

peepsalot posted:

OK I can see visited links from my laptop at home, but not my browser on my work computer. How do you link your device to your browser. Does it only work with 1 google account at a time? I use a different google mail to sign in at work.

Yeah, it's based on what account you're signed in to Chrome with.

Look in to Pushbullet.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

dik-dik posted:

Pushbullet lets you easily and quickly send links between your browser and your phone.

Thermopyle posted:

Look in to Pushbullet.

Thanks this works.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

peepsalot posted:

Thanks this works.

Bonus: You can push links (and files) back to desktop chrome too (or any other device you installed pushbullet on).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Bonus: You can push links (and files) back to desktop chrome too (or any other device you installed pushbullet on).

Desktop Chrome can already show you links you have open on mobile chrome too if you're on the same account.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

big mean giraffe posted:

Desktop Chrome can already show you links you have open on mobile chrome too if you're on the same account.

Great. This is quicker and I don't have to leave tabs open.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Nova Launcher was updated to add some Android L UI elements.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Might be the wrong thread, but what messaging app and/or Web browser do I need to be using on my HTC one m8 to save an animated gif and then send it via MMS? I can save it through a bit of work IN Chrome, but I can't send them animated in the stock messaging app. People only get still shots.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kameh posted:

Might be the wrong thread, but what messaging app and/or Web browser do I need to be using on my HTC one m8 to save an animated gif and then send it via MMS? I can save it through a bit of work IN Chrome, but I can't send them animated in the stock messaging app. People only get still shots.

This isn't really supported by any stock messaging or third party app. It's just not something people implement. They only one I know that has GIF support, is google hangouts, and that's only if both you and the other person are using the hangouts app.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

anakha posted:

Nova Launcher was updated to add some Android L UI elements.

Which ones and how do I check them out? I have Nova prime but I've been using action launcher for awhile now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

TwistedNails posted:

Which ones and how do I check them out? I have Nova prime but I've been using action launcher for awhile now.
Here are the details.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Thank you very much.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Kameh posted:

Textra supports animated GIFs.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Kameh posted:

Another option is Pushbullet. While Gallery doesn't support animated GIFs, the Photos app (the one with the four color pinwheel icon) does. So, if the person you send it to uses that to open the image, they'll see it animated.

Or, if you send the web URL to the image, Pushbuullet will open it in Chrome, and it will be animated.

Pushbullet also integrates with chomp SMS, EvolveSMS, Vegas SMS, and Sliding Messaging. I don't know if those support animated GIFs, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Pushbullet is the poo poo and I can't believe Google hasn't bought them yet.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Gyshall posted:

Pushbullet is the poo poo and I can't believe Google hasn't bought them yet.

Seriously, if you spend any time in front of a computer Pushbullet owns. EvolveSMS (and I think a few others) just implemented replying to texts from the PC. You get the notification pop up and can click it type your reply and the phone sends it off. Living in the future man.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Athenry posted:

Seriously, if you spend any time in front of a computer Pushbullet owns. EvolveSMS (and I think a few others) just implemented replying to texts from the PC. You get the notification pop up and can click it type your reply and the phone sends it off. Living in the future man.

I've been using MightyText for that for months.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Is Pushbullet better than Airdroid?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just realized that Pushbullet integrates with IFTTT. Welp. Time to get lost looking over recipes!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skywalker OG posted:

Is Pushbullet better than Airdroid?

It does one thing incredibly well - sending stuff between devices (or to other people's devices)

Airdroid is massive overkill if that's all you want to do

E: the notification mirroring is a nice bonus too

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 12, 2014

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

dik-dik posted:

Light flow does this

Exactly what I needed and available for purchase using my load of Amazon coins too - thanks!

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Best app at the moment for rewards cards?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

kri kri posted:

Best app at the moment for rewards cards?

Built in camera app?

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I've got a replacement phone that's the same model as my old phone (Droid DNA). What's the best app / software out there to transfer everything from one to the other?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Imaduck posted:

I've got a replacement phone that's the same model as my old phone (Droid DNA). What's the best app / software out there to transfer everything from one to the other?
If you aren't rooted, probably Helium.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Imaduck posted:

Helium should work for most of your apps and doesn't require root. It can be very fiddly though. It didn't recognize the original backup when I transferred it. The solution was to redownload the apps on the new phone, back them up using Helium, then replace the backup data with the actual backups from the old phone. It isn't great and if you're rooted, Titanium Backup is much easier. But it'll work if you need to transfer app data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Is there any way to manually add a package tracking number to Google Now? I bought stuff from two different Canadian companies this week, both which shipped something via Canada Post, but only one order is showing up as a card.

• Locked thread