Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
I apologize if I sound like a broken record:

I am playing DF Masterwork in linux. I generate a world (using one of the presets, the Gaia world). I go to embark in fort mode- how do I choose my race? It's always just the default Dwarven race. I can see the other races, it says I'm at war with Warlocks, but I want to play as the warlocks. I can't figure out when "select which race you want to play as" occurs. It's always just the default of dwarves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
In adventure mode how do you get up after you get knocked down?

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Danith posted:

In adventure mode how do you get up after you get knocked down?

Press s.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

reading posted:

I am playing DF Masterwork in linux. I generate a world (using one of the presets, the Gaia world). I go to embark in fort mode- how do I choose my race? It's always just the default Dwarven race. I can see the other races, it says I'm at war with Warlocks, but I want to play as the warlocks. I can't figure out when "select which race you want to play as" occurs. It's always just the default of dwarves.

I'm actually not sure what causes this at all and I was running into it sometimes when trying to set up a good embark site and check out the succubus civ I was just talking about. Was pretty annoying.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I started up a fort at the rim of a volcano with something like eight towers for neighbours. Unsurprisingly, I was besieged by a necromancer and his three zombies almost immediately. The necromancer flipped poo poo and fled when my miners attacked him, and his zombie warriors are hanging out on the other side of a mountain at the edge of the map where they can't see or be seen by anyone. I'm essentially under permanent siege unless I can get rid of them, so... I guess I'm going to train the poo poo out of my miners in a danger room and kit them out in full iron armour and hope they can kill the things eventually. On the bright side, I'm swimming in food and drink, have tons of metal to smith stuff with in my cozy little magma operation, and have nothing in particular to worry about for my starting seven. There's a troll on this map, but he lives in a cave a little ways south and seems content to keep to himself. I just stay off his lawn and he leaves my dorfs be.

While I work on figuring out a way to take down those zombies (I'm also considering an absurd, supervillain-like master plan involving elevated siege weapons and/or building a giant tower and catwalk so I can dump rocks on them from the heavens), I have my smith cranking out mountains of gold and rose gold crafts to stuff my treasury with, the better to completely buy every caravan once they finally start arriving. I had him studding with gold for quite a while, but the fucker kept running past the finished goods stockpile to grab wooden barrels from a different Z-level and put gold all over them. Dude decorated like a dozen ordinary barrels. I couldn't figure out why the hell he was doing it. It was driving me insane - I tried mucking with stockpile settings, looking at the manager menu, looking for some unseen option in the workshop profile, everything. Why was he doing this? Why did he refuse to decorate anything but barrels?

Then, baffled, I checked his preferences.

He likes barrels :saddowns:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

reading posted:

Did you set the civilization you wanted to play to playable in the Masterwork launcher? It's the second or third tab IIRC, has a big grid of red Xs and green check marks. You want the second column to be a green checkmark for whichever race you want to play. I recommend only enabling one race as playable at a time and just generating a new world if you want to play a different race, it makes it easier to figure out which civ is the race you want to play.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

reading posted:

Did you remember to set them to playable in the launcher? Check the civilizations tab. The adv and fort columns for each race determine whether you can make an adventurer out of them and whether or not you can found forts as them. Since most people are used to dwarves it starts off with only dwarves enabled for fort mode.

Once you do that it's just as simple as checking what neighbor is at the top of your list when selecting a civ on embark. The first one in a neighbor list is always your civilization.

Edit: Beaten by like two minutes. :argh:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Zurai posted:

Did you set the civilization you wanted to play to playable in the Masterwork launcher? It's the second or third tab IIRC, has a big grid of red Xs and green check marks. You want the second column to be a green checkmark for whichever race you want to play. I recommend only enabling one race as playable at a time and just generating a new world if you want to play a different race, it makes it easier to figure out which civ is the race you want to play.

The issue is selecting the species (which is definitely enabled) after choosing your embark site and it still giving you dwarves or something different.

e: or may not be, try activating them from masterwork if only dwarves are listed. in any case i get a weird issue of my own

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Michaellaneous posted:

I love that you used the Pursuer from Dark Souls 2 as the demon.
Actually, I didn't make that one. Just pointing out some assets I recognized :v:. It would be a good way to break into working with SFM though.

In other news, my elf-turned-vampire-turned-leader constantly gets quests to murder himself from the disgruntled citizenry. I was trying to root out organized crime and ended up butchering the ruling elite and then claiming the town for myself.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

The issue is selecting the species (which is definitely enabled) after choosing your embark site and it still giving you dwarves or something different.

e: or may not be, try activating them from masterwork if only dwarves are listed. in any case i get a weird issue of my own

Sometimes a race just curb stomps other races into extinction. That can cause issues when trying to play as a race. When starting on the kickass evil swamp world map settings I used to always not have orcs if I had tigermen from the fortress defense add-on enabled. Apparently they share the same preference for living spaces in a world, so the tigermen would just grind down the orcs over the period of a century.

Automatons usually have this issue too. They can't reproduce since they were "built" at the start of an era. So they slowly lose numbers to lucky shots from random people until the playable segment rolls around. At which point there's like one ancient technological fort left somewhere that they tend to raid from.

The neat thing about it though is that each world ends up different because of the huge number of races you can potentially add in. I once had a world where a civilization of frogmen reigned supreme in the swamps. Which since it was the Urborg setting was like ninety percent of the place.

Most of the other civilizations had gone to war with them, only to get slowly pushed back into the arctic fringes of the map or into a secluded mountain valley that was all jungle. At which point their civilizations all kind of devolved into forgetting how to use metal (outside of one dwarven fort) for armor since I guess they just got their asses beat so badly that they forgot what civilization was.

So basically they pulled a planet wide :frogout: on every other race. And in the process murdered every other race that preferred to live in swamps.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 12, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I had a vague idea that that might have been the cause, but I just assumed that the game might let you play as a basically extinct species anyways. Dwarf Fortress!

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Okay so starting this I am completely lost and intimidated and the guides I can find (including the one in this thread) are in ascii which I can't understand at all.

Are there any guides that use a tileset anywhere?

e: Sorry to be a huge baby.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 12, 2014

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I had a vague idea that that might have been the cause, but I just assumed that the game might let you play as a basically extinct species anyways. Dwarf Fortress!

Sometimes it does let you play as extinct races. Warlocks by default are usually extinct by the time play opens up. That's because they don't breed. They're made like automatons. So typically you'll find out they had a huge civilization that eventually died off, with a bunch of tombs littered with horrifying things in them laying about.

That's how I ended up discovering the tomb of that ancient cannibalizing undead murder deity who burst out of his sarcophagus to feed on my prisoners I posted about way back. If you turn on the option to view caves in the last tab of the launcher you can see their tombs on the map when embarking.

Edit: Keep in mind that even though they're extinct that you can still play as warlocks. Somehow Meph added in an exemption so that they can be made even with no warlocks left. In fact they're a race that's designed to go extinct during world gen. That way you're basically founding a new dark tower in the world every time you make a fort.

It's a shame Masterwork isn't .4 compatible, and probably won't be for awhile. The new world gen stuff means that Meph can do some crazy stuff like custom site types for each race and actually have each race enact their features in world gen.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 12, 2014

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Sometimes I really don't get the personality trait generation.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Archonex posted:

Sometimes it does. Warlocks by default are usually extinct by the time play opens up. That's because they don't breed. They're made like automatons. So typically you'll find out they had a huge civilization that eventually died off, with a bunch of tombs littered with horrifying things in them laying about.

That's how I ended up discovering the tomb of that ancient cannibalizing undead murder deity who burst out of his sarcophagus to feed on my prisoners I posted about way back. If you turn on the option to view caves in the last tab of the launcher you can see their tombs on the map when embarking.

It makes more sense when I consider that the succubus race has a high lady to dude ratio and overall has much less chance of kids so the chances of extinction are probably marginally higher than normal given that they also might not be taking full advantage of their wide array of magic poo poo that lets them explode people's minds and set them on fire. Mod species can get pretty wonky.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Tyshalob posted:

Sometimes I really don't get the personality trait generation.

idk man this sounds at lot like most people I went to college with

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Archonex posted:

Automatons usually have this issue too. They can't reproduce since they were "built" at the start of an era. So they slowly lose numbers to lucky shots from random people until the playable segment rolls around. At which point there's like one ancient technological fort left somewhere that they tend to raid from.

Really? In my world, first one I generated, they have massive strongholds on both poles of the world, and the "Dark Automatons" are at the core. One badass human, who I'm going to call "Dunban" (Even though that isn't his name) has 359 kills to his name, having defended the last human stronghold at the center of the world.

Meanwhile, at the corner of the world where my fortress is, the Dwarves are stuck fighting legions upon legions of succubi, and are slowly losing ground. Slap bang in the middle of this place is a Warlock place, which I haven't checked out yet. Automatons are also up there, and constantly strike Dwarven border towns to no avail.

My world has way too many Automatons...

Archonex
May 2, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Really? In my world, first one I generated, they have massive strongholds on both poles of the world, and the "Dark Automatons" are at the core. One badass human, who I'm going to call "Dunban" (Even though that isn't his name) has 359 kills to his name, having defended the last human stronghold at the center of the world.

Meanwhile, at the corner of the world where my fortress is, the Dwarves are stuck fighting legions upon legions of succubi, and are slowly losing ground. Slap bang in the middle of this place is a Warlock place, which I haven't checked out yet. Automatons are also up there, and constantly strike Dwarven border towns to no avail.

My world has way too many Automatons...

It really varies by world gen. Usually automatons go out in a series of destructive wars/raids. But sometimes they don't. I've never heard of dark automatons though. Are they some evil variant that rarely shows up?

Also succubi breed like loving crazy from what I can tell. Which makes sense since...Well, yeah. They also don't seem to have any downsides from inhabiting harsh areas. I had a few icy myr maps where they completely owned huge swathes of the arctic regions. Which probably accounts for their numbers since most races prefer not to inhabit a glacier that has literally zero life on it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Archonex posted:

It really varies by world gen. Usually automatons go out in a series of destructive wars/raids. But sometimes they don't. I've never heard of dark automatons though. Are they some evil variant that rarely shows up?

Also succubi breed like loving crazy from what I can tell. Which makes sense since...Well, yeah. They also don't seem to have any downsides from inhabiting harsh areas. I had a few icy myr maps where they completely owned huge swathes of the arctic regions. Which probably accounts for their numbers since most races prefer not to inhabit a glacier that has literally zero life on it.

True! I wasn't exactly sure how the breeding situation would work out for them. They're also able to make furred clothing for warmth in icy climates so they can generally embark in a lot of places if they want. It feels like they're an all or none civ in worldgen from what I've seen so far, with them either getting dunked on by others (making them either extinct or barely there) or they're able to get a strong foothold in some corner or other and start terrorizing other civs.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nevermind, they aren't Dark Automatons, they're Automatons in Dark Fortresses. I also thought I had seen Dark Drow, but I think they were just in Dark Fortresses too. Its just even more Automatons everywhere.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

So, I really want to get into Masterwork with the Warlocks, but I have not really found a good guide for it.
Anyone willing to learn the me ropes of this insane mess of something?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
All the guides say to assign a broker to the caravan, and only let the broker deal with the caravan.
I assign a broker.
Caravan is about to leave.
Broker is asleep.
Caravan leaves.

Is there any way I can kill a dwarf?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

That's to build up the Appraiser skill, but flick the "Only broker can trade" switch into the "Anyone can trade" position then. A little profit is better than letting everything gather dust until the next caravan.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm still baffled as to why these succubus units in masterwork are wearing battle thongs and corsets and why their descriptions lovingly make note of how soft their breasts are, but otherwise it's a neat civ and isn't as terrifying as it could have been given that they were made by DF nerds

It's nice to know that we, as a species, are capable of masturbating even to ASCII.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

nutranurse posted:

It's nice to know that we, as a species, are capable of masturbating even to ASCII.

The succubus mod isn't even part of the core Masterwork files. Somehow some guy got his race mod added to the Masterwork mod as an optional mod. Probably because it's so popular. I think that's how the other mods like Fear the Night got added in, and I recall hearing someone pulling a :wtc: at the mention of the mod in the past.

It's kind of irrelevant either way. You can disable them with two clicks of your mouse. About the only thing you miss out on is hilariously easy to kill demons and a few trade reactions in the new human race's release once it comes out for the public. I haven't tried them yet, but just looking at the lovely manual they have (The mod maker didn't finish it.) they included in the masterwork files it seems like they're a far shittier and more content light version of Warlocks with immigration capabilities enabled.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 12, 2014

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

nutranurse posted:

I'll take this quote. This is pure gold, thank you.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Archonex posted:

The succubus mod isn't even part of the core Masterwork files. Somehow some guy got his race mod added to the Masterwork package as an optional mod. Probably because it's so popular. I think that's how the other mods like Fear the Night got added in, and I recall hearing someone pulling a :wtc: at the mention of the mod in the past.

That's all Meph. He's just going "hey this is rad can I use this?" to literally everyone in the Mod Releases forum.

The disease module that he put in was originally posted as a modder's resource, a tentative first foray into using syndromes to simulate contagion. He just took it and ran without thinking.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Archonex posted:

It's kind of irrelevant either way. You can disable them with two clicks of your mouse. About the only thing you miss out on is hilariously easy to kill demons and a few trade reactions in the new human race's release once it comes out for the public. I haven't tried them yet, but just looking at the lovely manual they have (The mod maker didn't finish it.) they included in the masterwork files it seems like they're a far shittier and more content light version of Warlocks with immigration capabilities enabled.

It looks like they could do some facewrecking of their own if they take full advantage of the tools at their disposal. Then again, warlocks are pretty much broken as poo poo if you know what you're doing so I dunno if they're the best comparison for anyone. (Also, the unfinished manual was surprising. :psyduck: Too busy making adjectives for body parts to give more than very basic documentation I guess.)

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I did that but the caravan refused the trade and hosed off.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

nutranurse posted:

http://www.asciipr0n.com/

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

It looks like they could do some facewrecking of their own if they take full advantage of the tools at their disposal. Then again, warlocks are pretty much broken as poo poo if you know what you're doing so I dunno if they're the best comparison for anyone. (Also, the unfinished manual was surprising. :psyduck: Too busy making adjectives for body parts to give more than very basic documentation I guess.)

At least Warlocks are an entirely different play style. You get no immigrants past the two default waves of generated immigrants. You have to literally build them from the corpses of your fallen foes. And if you lose all of your warlocks it's basically game over. It's Dungeon Keeper in ASCII format with multiple dungeon hearts you have to protect.

Plus most of the Warlock's more overpowered stuff balances out. Sure, you can resurrect every body part on the map as a ravening zombie, but then you get no butcherable kills since most stuff will get ripped apart before it gets close to your fort. Which means no souls to fuel important reactions, and once the meat supply runs out, probably no food. It all balances out in the longer metagame.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 12, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Warlocks are definitely an example of really good modding, yeah.

e: this is not a paid advertisement for warlocks, everyone please go try them out if you want something different

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Warlocks are definitely an example of really good modding, yeah.

e: this is not a paid advertisement for warlocks, everyone please go try them out if you want something different

Yes, but how does it work! There are no (good) tutorials :cry:

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I like the idea of warlocks but I'm gonna wait to meph to add more content/bug fixes to them.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I'm having countless problems.
Farmers keep cancelling plant seeds because it needs plump helmet spawn. There are at least ten in the stockpile, and they're not forbidden.
I don't have enough skilled workers in poo poo that actually needs doing.
Even though I have three masons with some masonry skill, and jobs that are requiring masonry, they just sit idle with no job. How do I force someone with masonry skill to do the masonry jobs that need doing? They have permission to do it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Michaellaneous posted:

Yes, but how does it work! There are no (good) tutorials :cry:

Like with more than a few things in life, you can't make an omelet (functioning civilization running off of the labor of necrotic flesh heaps) without breaking a few eggs. (corpses that are meant to be used for necrotic flesh heaps)

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Huh. I just got the "No Outpost Liaison? How curious." Warning message. Is this something normal in DF2014 or I am in for some !!FUN!!?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Perhaps the mountainhome has been steamrolled? That's where the liaison bunks between trips, you know.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

scamtank posted:

Perhaps the mountainhome has been steamrolled? That's where the liaison bunks between trips, you know.

But why would I still get a caravan? You have my interest piqued, however, so I will export a copy of my world into Legends and check after the current session.

e: you were right, I'm apparently playing a dead civ that got crushed by successive dragon and titan attacks 140 years ago. How it is still playable is beyond me. My militia commander was spontaneously promoted to King at some point and since he was the backbone of my army, the fort collapsed.

Welp, time for a new fort.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Welp, just had to end a masterwork fort because I had a berserk skeleton in the master stairway. He and my skeleton militia went at it for over a season, all becoming legendary brawlers and causing all jobs to grind to a halt.

Any advice on resurrecting warlocks? I assigned them all tombs right next to the altar, but I'm not sure if that's helping or hurting.